Hormones Tests - Feedback and Compare

Reaction score
8O I am suffering from diffuse hair loss in the front and top of my scalp.
here are some hormone test results - but my doctor didn't check my estrogen. Let me know if you have anything to compare with this - Any feedback would be appreciated -

totaldispHAIR - I asked you about a couple of these on another string

TESTOSTERONE -FREE - 4.9
DHEA-S - 7.9

THYROTROPIN - .47
FREE THYROXINE (FREE T4) 15

Any thoughts? Anybody have results to compare??

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Not only did your doctor not do estrogen, did he also not do progesterone? Seems like you'd need all of them to know if your others were really high, or in the proper ratio with estro/proges?
I don't think my doctor checked those two either. Seems like they would need to be checked, no??
Why is this so difficult for doctors to figure out?

Reaction score
You know what Marie Joe - I think it comes down to the fact that docs are not as educated as they should be with hair loss and have a very serious problem admitting it. I am still waiting for an endo appt so they could further investigate but am not wasting anytime....I started Rogaine and who knows what will happen next. I've read a couple of people trying Rogaine for two months, getting result and then stopping - that scares me too.....I just wish I could take a pill or get some cortisone shots....any thoughts on those pills or cortisone??? :roll:

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Ladies!

Too Young For This: sorry, I had to take a little hiatus from the boards so I'm sorry I didn't see your earlier questions. Feel free to send me a personal message through the board; I usually check them on a regular basis.

I have no idea regarding your test results because I've seen different metric systems used depending on where you live, as the reference range for normal. And, with only some of them, you get a partial view instead of the big picture with all the hormone results. You also didn't mention when you took your tests in relation to your cycle and if you're on the pill or not. Estrogen should be taken on Days 1,2 or 3 of your cycle, and progesterone on day 21.

I think I saw a different post from you about how disappointed you were with your derma visit. I'm sorry to hear that--it's a real bummer. Give the endo a shot and see how that works--but go in there with the list of tests that *you* want and insist that they write you a prescription for them (see the guide on this site for women's hair loss to get all the required tests). If they say no, just argue with them until they do--it's your health, afterall.

I know how frustrating it is to know more than your doctors. Don't lose the faith and keep researching yourself. Did you make an appointment with your gyno? That's another person who can help you analyze your hormones.

I have found that taking a pill or any other type of quick-fix-it solution is probably not the answer to my situation. Instead, I've been spending a lot of time working on all aspects of my health--from stress reduction and meditation twice daily, to diet and other stuff. I've been spending a lot of time on askwaltstollmd.com and am learning a lot of holistic things to improve the quality of my life. I'm hoping that as I learn to discharge the stress and internal bracing through skilled relaxation that my body will return to a place of balance.

MarieJoe, I'm so glad you found Dr. Lee's book helpful!!!!

Blessings to you both. TD

Reaction score
Hey TD - missed you - I was wondering if all was okay....good to hear you again - keep me posted on the meditation - maybe that can be my next little project.

BTW I sent my referral to the endo well over three weeks ago and I have received a call back for an appt. What a sham the Health System is these days!!

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys,

TD, the book was great and helped me. There's another book, Discover Your Menopause Type by Joseph Collins.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 8?v=glance . My derm told me about it. You may want to keep it in mind for future reference.

Too bad only my derm, so far, agrees with me. She told me she would prescribe Prometrium. [So, I picked that scrip up after I left the endo.] She was great. I told her about my endo appt. She warned me the endo would NOT deal with women's issues, relating to estrogen/progesterone. She was completely right. The endo said she was not trained in that estro/progest area. She suggested a reproductive endocrinologist or a new gyn. (my gyn didn't even order the proper DHEA test. From our talk, I guess she didn't think much of him.)
The endo did a lot of blood work. But I was so upset, I only remember her mentioning DHEA-s and thyroid. I know there was more.
So, for now, I wait for test results. (She may be right and I have overactive adrenals, which she would give oral spironolactone for.)
[RE: spironolactone: I asked her about spironolactone being a high blood pressure med. She said, yes its is, but is also for other things, like hair loss. So, unless you have heart problems,... She has several women patients reporting luck with spironolactone.]

She also recommended a few female gyns to check out. Apparently, my hormones are out of whack and have been for twenty years, at least.
I have great hopes for the progesterone (prometrium). :)
I'll certainly report any progress. :) :hairy: