Home on a friday night

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
It's a friday night and I'm home...again.

I spent a few hours looking at old pictures of me. I've wasted so many years of my life. I keep folders of pictures I took (of myself) on my computer. Some date back to 2002.

As I look at them, I'm watching my youth grow up and leave me , right in front of my eyes. I'm not sure, but I don't think this is the proper way to live one's life. But I can't help but live like I have a video recorder taped on my forehead, I over-analyze everything. I have to go back and see when things went wrong...but I can't seem to find that point.

I've always dealt with anxiety/ocd/self-esteem issues since I was young. I don't talk about it with my friends or anyone uneducated about the matter. Mainly because they automatically classify you in the "manic depressive" "bipolar" or "schizo" category, which is far from what I think I am.

So I'm left with only talking to a small group of people. My family, who think I'm making everything up. My dr, who always has a prescription in hand ready to drug me with, and this board. So far, this board has been the only one to understand everything I'm going through. The hairloss thing was kind of a nail in the coffin for me. It hit me at an already low point in my life. And has done all it can to ensure I stay there.

2 weeks ago I found a stray kitten that seemed to take my mind off everything. It took weeks for it to be comfortable around me. I started off slowly, feeding it and then talking to it. Until it became comfortable with my voice. Then started petting it when it was near me. Just last night, it let me pick it up for the first time. It stayed on my lap and kept looking up at me, kind of terrified. But it stayed and acted the part nonetheless. This kitten reminds me very much of myself. Lonely, lost...and most of all submissive. I can't imagine what it must have been like for this thing. Barely a few weeks old, alone in a strange, cold and noisy place. With nothing but predators.

I think the remainder of my years will be spent away from most other humans. They usually have no regard for anyone's feelings, are too superficial or always shitting on someone else, to make themselves feel better about their own insecurities. I don't have to worry about an animal noticing my balding. Or looking at my hairline and quickly looking away when I catch them. Or snickering when I walk by. Animals don't care if you're bald, or you're shy, or you don't have a lot of money. In this godforsaken city I live in, I think it's the only other living thing that understands me.

mike_076

Reaction score
Your story and mine are like too drops of water... including the kitten part, except the kitten in my story is still stray. The exact same thoughts wonder my mind... I can't believe I have to endure another 40 years or so of this.

This feels like a mental imprisonment. I feel like I'm locked up behind bars for a crime I did not commit. Some get 5, others get 10 years in the pen. Hairloss sufferers get life.

DaSand

Established Member
Reaction score
I know how you feel Stabber. I'd like to talk more about it, but it's late here and I have class in the morning.

I wish baldness didn't run in the family, I just started Rogaine now. I look old for 21.

I'm really hoping for balding to be a thing of the past if science finds something to stop it.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
DaSand said:
I know how you feel Stabber. I'd like to talk more about it, but it's late here and I have class in the morning.

I wish baldness didn't run in the family, I just started Rogaine now. I look old for 21.

I'm really hoping for balding to be a thing of the past if science finds something to stop it.

If I may, please consider adding finasteride, as I think that this is more appropriate therapy in virtually all cases of our AA. I don't think you will see the kind of results you want with Rogaine alone. But I'm not a physician. Please see a professional and discuss your health history, &c.

VeryUpset

Reaction score
I feel you bro. I quit going out. I'm major depressed about my hairloss. I can't even spike my hair up anymore...if I wet it and spike it it looks like im 40 not 20! 20 to 40 in 4 months!! :( I don't know what to do...it gets me so mad it brings a tear to my eye. Sometimes I just wanna say F THIS and shave it all off...but then I start thinking that even less will grow back, get scared and chicken out.

I was looking through some pictures from 2 years ago with my perfect hairline all spiked up nice and neat...and I run to the bathroom to wet my hair and frizz it up thinking that maybe just maybe something changed and it somehow grew back in the last 5 minutes only to be disappointed and shocked that it's even worse and I now look like Heiachi from Tekken II. Only I'm 20.

Sigh.

I'm trying to make peace that from now on I have to wear my hair in some new combed over way or some other way that's from 1972 or otherwise shave my head but I imagine myself with a bald head...I look so terrible....

The worst part is...I refuse to go on propecia, I refuse all sideffects, I refuse to be confined to daily rituals, I refuse taking a chance in major shedding, I refuse I refuse I refuse. Unless modern medicine can regrow my hair without damaging my health...I refuse!

Sigh.

I guess we're all too vain and superficial.

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
helpme007 said:
you're all loosers!

Who's the real loser? Someone who has problems dealing with their hair loss, or someone who can't even spell the word?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Gentlemen;

Losing our respective hairs is tough. But you know what? Our families and friends (although they might make the occassional crack) will still be our families and friends.

Take it from a NW5A - get out there and let the wind blow your hair so it's all weird looking, and let it rain on your heads so your hair looks even worse then usual - but get out there.

Life is meant to be lived - not staring in the mirror at our hairlines or frettin' that we don't have the curly locks we had a few years ago.

C'mon guys. Take a step up!

ShedMaster

Reaction score
hair-tomorrow, it is very easy for someone like me or you to give the ones like them pep talks. But the reality is until they themselves figure out that hairloss is not nearly the worst thing in the world, I'm afraid its calling on deaf ears. I have been in that situation before and no matter what anyone said to me, nothing was going to change this. I'm glad I have since come out of it, as they will too, eventually.

SE-freak

Reaction score
You Shed came out because you got results. We all know that it aint always the "worst things" that make us suffer.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
ShedMaster said:
hair-tomorrow, it is very easy for someone like me or you to give the ones like them pep talks. But the reality is until they themselves figure out that hairloss is not nearly the worst thing in the world, I'm afraid its calling on deaf ears. I have been in that situation before and no matter what anyone said to me, nothing was going to change this. I'm glad I have since come out of it, as they will too, eventually.

Hopefully, sometimes all someone needs IS a pep talk to get them moving along. Hairloss is distressing, granted, and I remember back in the day feeling so woefully overwhelmed - but still carrying on w/ my life.

Funny thing is - these days I can look at pictures of myself from awhile back - and I think "I know I was bummed back then about my thinning hair - but it really doesn't look that bad!"

"Seize the Day!"

SE-freak

Reaction score
hair_tomorrow is another story of course. The dude seems to be an inexhaustible source of positive energy and creativity.

Rock on bro. :eek:nfire: :eek:nfire: :eek:nfire:

IBM

Reaction score
i'm digging this thread to say that it's friday and im alone eating ice-cream.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
There's really nothing wrong with that if that's how you choose to spend your night...

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I work Friday nights. The only reason I'm around. I dunno about you losers lol j/k.

The Gardener

Reaction score
You guys are the best. Seriously, there are some really high quality human beings here on this forum.

I say that not because of our choices of what to do on a friday night, but rather that so many of you have such an intelligent sense of empathy and respect for other people and are willing to hear people out without judgement.

You guys are awesome.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I wasn't a loser this friday night.... but I can guarantee I'll be one in at least one of the coming fridays.

I'll see you losers then...