HMO's and testing/treatment?

sk8rmom

Reaction score
:? Has anyone sought testing/treatment through an HMO?

I am 35 and always had a very thick head of hair. I began to notice my hair thinning about 6 months ago but didn't really give it a second thought (well..... I did but never mentioned it to anyone). My husband, family, and friends are now noticing it so now I'm thinking I should have it checked. I have Kaiser and am worried that my concerns will be dismissed. I live in San Francisco and could use any advice/recommendations as I am in the beginning stages of my research.

Thanks in advance!

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Sk8rmom -

First off, make sure you read through our Guide to Women's Hair Loss thoroughly:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/research/women/

Secondly, my girlfriend Carol (http://www.hairlosstalk.com/photogallery/pgcarol.htm) attempted to get her bloodwork through an HMO but was denied as well. The medical system sucks right now, in my opinion.

Your best bet is to ask your primary care physician to have the tests done (there is a list of tests in the Women's Guide at the link above), and when they refuse (probably will) tell them you would like to be referred to a dermatologist. Then ask the dermatologist to run the tests.

You are going to be hard pressed to find a dermatologist who knows much of anything about women's hair loss, but that is why we made the Guide. The imbalances in the bloodwork may reveal the source of your problems, and any doctor should be educated enough in treating those imbalances. The result will be a return of hair, over time.

It's hard enough having to deal with hair loss as a woman. The medical community does *not* make it easier. Go in there with information in hand, and be persistent.

You may wish to look up Dr. Vera Price who is also in the SF area. She is the premier physician for women's hair loss in the country.

Lastly, stay away from the snake oils. There are many.

HairLossTalk.com

sk8rmom

Reaction score
HMO's and testing

I had my appointment today and it went far better than I expected. I didn't have to whip out my "ammo"! The doctor has ordered lab work for far too many things to mention. Apparently my thyroid feels "inflamed" and (here's where the HMO comes through) my appointment for an ultrasound is July 23rd. In the meantime, I go for the lab work tomorrow. At least I'm well-informed and feel that I'm on the right track.

Thanks for the info and I'll continue to check in.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Congratulations!

That's great to hear. Maybe you can post the name of your doctor so that other women who are having troubles with their physicians in the Bay Area can check him/her out.

HairLossTalk.com