Histogen Oct Update: With pictures, growth stats and all that fancy nonsense

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
First off, the press release:
Histogen Announces Initial Results from Phase I/II Clinical Trial of HSCData shows significant efficacy at all time points and all treated hair loss regions
SAN DIEGO, October 19, 2012 - Histogen, Inc., a regenerative medicine company developing innovative therapies based on the products of cells grown under simulated embryonic conditions, will present preliminary data from the ongoing clinical trial of its Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC) today at the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) Annual Meeting. Statistically significant improvement was seen across all targeted hair growth parameters in this Phase I/II clinical trial, with an 86% responder rate.
The double-blind Phase I/II clinical trial was undertaken to further examine the safety and efficacy of intradermal injections of HSC in 56 men with androgenetic alopecia. In addition to other safety outcome measures, clinical evaluation of blood serum chemistry, hematology and urinalysis showed no indication of toxicity over 12 weeks. The treatment was well-tolerated and no study-related adverse events have been reported.
In this second clinical trial of HSC, which was designed with an additional treatment timepoint, the increase in total hair count was 46.5% above that seen in the pilot HSC trial at 12 weeks. Statistical significance was noted in all efficacy endpoints, which include increases in total hair count (p=0.0013), terminal hairs (p=0.0135), and hair thickness (p=0.026). A significant increase in vellus hair count (p=0.033) was seen for the first time, supporting the hypothesis that the HSC treatment rescues dying follicles, in addition to converting vellus to terminal hairs and increasing the number of hairs per follicle. Statistical significance continued to be seen at the 24 week time point.
"We are excited that HSC has not only continued to show unprecedented results, but that the addition of a second treatment time point in the Phase I/II clinical trial has resulted in even greater hair growth than the pilot study," said Gail K. Naughton, Ph.D., Histogen CEO and Chairman of the Board. "Particularly compelling is the growth seen in more difficult types and stages of hair loss. Without limitations to treatment area, age or stage of balding, HSC has the potential to expand the hair restoration market by offering a successful option to those that currently have none."
Available non-surgical treatment options for alopecia focus on younger patients in the earlier stages of hair loss, with a primary purpose of retaining existing hair and supporting limited hair regrowth. This is not the trend seen in the clinical trials of HSC. In both the pilot and Phase I/II clinical trial, HSC treatment has shown efficacy across age groups, with subjects age 40-59 seeing cosmetically significant results beginning at 12 weeks, including a mean increase of 39% in terminal hairs and 19.4% in total hair count in this age group in the current trial.
Importantly, the efficacy of HSC is not limited by hair loss region. The Phase I/II clinical trial has shown noted new hair growth in subjects treated in all regions of the scalp, including temporal recession, mid-scalp and vertex. Subjects receiving HSC in the temporal recession, which is known to be more difficult to treat than other areas of hair loss, saw marked improvement in terminal hair count, with a mean increase of 22.6% at 12 weeks and 25.2% at the 24 week time point.
In addition to the Phase I/II data, Dr. Naughton will present results from a Physician-sponsored IND of HSC conducted by Dr. Craig Ziering, an ISHRS member and leading hair restoration surgeon. Five men and five women received up to four treatments of HSC, with all subjects showing positive hair growth. Increased hair growth was seen as early as 6 weeks, with clinically and cosmetically relevant results seen as early as 18 weeks.
"The clinical data seen to date with HSC is very compelling," said Dr. Craig Ziering, Founder and CEO of Ziering Medical. "Not only is the strong safety profile clinically important, but we have seen cosmetically significant results, with coverage of thinning areas, in a clinical setting. In addition, the response seen in women treated with HSC is unprecedented."
HSC is a complex of proteins and growth factors naturally secreted by multipotent cells under Histogen's proprietary growth conditions. The proteins within HSC, such as KGF, VEGF, and follistatin, are involved in signaling stem cells in the body, and have been shown to be key in hair formation and the stimulation of resting hair follicles.
"Scalp Injection of Active Embryonic-like Cell-secreted Proteins and Growth Factors" will be presented by Dr. Naughton at the ISHRS Annual Meeting, taking place October 17-20, 2012, in the Bahamas.
http://histogen.com/aboutus/news_events.htm#38

http://www.histogen.com/downloads/sid_2012_HSC_Final.pdf

Some stats:
- 85% of people responded to the treatment
- Subjects kept the hair on their head and regrew
- No side-effects reported
- Older patients (40-59) reported best results (fff)
- Showed to work on temples!

Photos (before - 6 months):
S102M - 24wk.jpg

Here is the impressive part. Their treatment only has 8 injections 3mm apart, in 2 randomized spots. Repeating dosage after 6 weeks. So who is to say if they add more shots, you wouldn't get better results?

"Hair Stimulating Complex will be injected intradermally into the scalp of the test subject at 2 timepoints (Baseline and 6 Weeks after Baseline) using sterile syringes with 30 gauge needles at a volume of 0.1 mL per injection. A total of 8 injections (about 3mm apart) will be administered into one of the the 2 randomized sites (left or right) of the subject's scalp. Six weeks after the Baseline injection, the same treatment site will receive a repeat dose (the same volume and number of injections as used in the baseline) with no crossover."

A

AfroSamurai

Very interesting. I have faith in Histogen. Just hope they come out with this stuff soon.

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
There are a few huuuge threads on this over at the baldtruthtaIk forum. I hope it continues to improve with its success.

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
The after pic looks darker to me, i expected more from this company but as usual they are being deceptive.

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Very impressive.

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
All treatments when they come out cost a lot. This is going to be like botox. It was super expensive when it was out, but went down in price fast since it was so easy to basically do. A few shots and you are out. I think after awhile this would be done in local clinics but regular doctors. I don't think we will need expert hair transplant experts to put in a few needle shots.

beaner

Reaction score
I'm far from impressed by those picture. In the first one the hair is combed away from the thinning areas, and in the second the hair is combed to cover the thinning areas. I personally see no improvement. In fact, the corners of the hairline in the 'after' pic actually look thinner because of this deceptive combing technique.

DavisNY

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to stay positive however I see the usual tricks being played, lighter v darker lighting, the first one has the hairs combed sideways a bit v back in the after photo...

I want to see a slick bald area vs new hair growing on it...

I hope things improve however this is not getting me excited

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
No u ****tards . . . There is no "light tricks" :shakes head:

looks like some decent regrowth to me

Sparky4444

Reaction score
this doesn't look very good to me...to my eyes, it looks like his hair is more combed than the first...the second picture is darker...this just isn't a good picture to show anything substantial

AleMB81

Reaction score
Guys I just want to highlight that these photos were not published on Histogen website so could even not be true. Moreover I don't think that Histogen could be satisfied with that result if they are claiming they got a 30% hair regrowth...Maybe it's a old picture or not totally true..

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The figures in the study are encouraging even if the picture isn't.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I hope better results than that guy he went from badly balding to well badly balding I mean its barely cosmetically significant. Hes not going to pass for being 20 years old with a Norwood 0 anytime soon.

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
This is only treating a tiny area with limited injections. Import thing is they are already above baseline after 6 months with no side effects.

Nex

Established Member
Reaction score
So I have a question, the hairs that histogen regrows will still be susceptible to dht correct? So after they grow in we will need to use propecia to keep the hair?

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So I have a question, the hairs that histogen regrows will still be susceptible to dht correct? So after they grow in we will need to use propecia to keep the hair?

even if so, a "new follica" (if this is what they mean by 30% regrowth) still would last more then a few years till it dies "again"... plus dht level drops with age, with meds you can lower dht more.

though this is a nice treatment and0 potentially another tool in our arsenal, it wont help ones who are gone on the Norwood scale.... im myself am nw4, my front completely gone... so even if this gives us 30% regrowth, its not enough for the areas which are gone :/ ... really hope to hear good news soon, this one ray of hope im not letting go just yet.