Hi, Need some advice on my receeding. Photo attatched..

hudsonhawke

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

For a few years now I've noticed the hair on my rightside has been thining alot more than the left side. chunks of hair around the side but most of all the temple have taken a big hit. Looking at it now it's starting to get a little worse so thinking about treatments.

I started using Nizoral (ketoconazol 20mg) about 4 months ago 2 times a week and it started off improving my hair, though then it dried it out and I'm actually not sure if it may have accelerated the receeding temple.

I have a pretty good thick head of hair, it's litteraly just this section thats thinking out. I dont want to go on propecia in fear that I may loose more hair due to shedding. So was thinking of swabbing some minoxidil on this area only. what you you guys think? Which is the best type of minoxidil to use? and will I only be affecting this area? as in the rest of my hair wont shed if I am only applying minoxidil to this area?

One big question on the tip of my tongue is I'm sure if I left it alone this hair will stay there for a good few years, though if I start and stop the minoxidil regeim will that permanently loose it all?

maybe just a few plugs of FUE might be the answer ;) all feedback most welcome.

thanks guys.

Attachments

• thining.jpg
    thining.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 338

hudsonhawke

Established Member
Reaction score
hey kerzyguy,

I'll be 30 this year. Baldness in my family is pretty bad! Both grandfathers were bald and my mums brothers and my dad are all bald, around a norwood 7 and they are in their 60's. my brother has a good hairline, but is diffuse thining pretty bad on top especially around the crown.

Though I'm being optomistic :) my hair is thick all over, just that bit on the temple and unusual thin hair on the sides. the left side shows simular thining but not as bad as the right.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
kerzyguy said:
whats baldness like in your family and how old are you?

Kerzyguy, no offense at all meant by this (sincerely), but why are you still on these boards? Not that I'm one who thinks you're not welcome, just trying to understand.
I know you're a hockey fan, and I've been watching the Finals and will watch game 7 tonight. Mike Babcock has great hair, huh? He's 46!!!!!!

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah babcocks hair is nuts, better hair than my dad even, his dye job is stupid tho, zetterberg is young, but his hair is great also, but to the poster, its kinda a bad angle shot and small photo, it seems to be in the mature hairline area, but it seems rather extensive, could very well be male pattern baldness, when my hairline matured, i dont recall it thinning out like that either, the hair just kinda just fell out and didnt thin out, but hard to say, since baldness is throughout your family, it could be male pattern baldness and to me looks like it, some more experienced posters could give you better advice than me

Attachments

• 340x.jpg
    340x.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 199
  • mikebabcock.jpg
    mikebabcock.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 222

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Alex just likes hanging around a bunch of balding guys because he need re-assurance that he is not in the same situation. Its kind of like a "security blanket" like Linus from Charlie Brown used to carry around. I don't blame you for hanging around Alex, I looked into some forums for BDD and this one is as closest one I can find. I think this forum is full of some very "interesting" people who definitely seem to make me keep "wanting more". :woot:
Hudson, it seems like your hair is showing some diffuse thinning in those areas at your hairline. It might be miniaturization. You might be able to reverse that area with Propecia and minoxidil. I have similar areas at my temples and the middle of my hairline as well and unfortunately I cannot reverse the thickness even with so many treatments. Since you are turning 30 and your hair still looks great, you really don't have anything aggressive to worry about at this time. However, you will never be "out of the woods" as hair loss can strike at any age but if you are one of those people who will be happy with a NW2 or NW3 in your 40's, I think you will be fine.

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score
check out this house, 12 years old with my kids hairline(shaved widows peak), its only a little different, which makes me feel alot better, i guess alot of it is in my head, i always did a LITTLE recession even on my kids hairline, now its just more defined with a widows peak i guess

Thinneritgoes!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Kerzguy, honestly man, what are you doing? You post here more than most and you have a perfect head of hair. You are not going bald. I feel bad because you should be out enjoying yourself and concentrating on more important things in life. I have friends with full heads of hair who have less hair than you. Go enjoy yourself bud

hudsonhawke

Established Member
Reaction score
can anyone contribute anything useful to this thread?? or am I posting in the wrong forum?!

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
Hudson, it seems like your hair is showing some diffuse thinning in those areas at your hairline. It might be miniaturization. You might be able to reverse that area with Propecia and minoxidil. I have similar areas at my temples and the middle of my hairline as well and unfortunately I cannot reverse the thickness even with so many treatments. Since you are turning 30 and your hair still looks great, you really don't have anything aggressive to worry about at this time. However, you will never be "out of the woods" as hair loss can strike at any age but if you are one of those people who will be happy with a NW2 or NW3 in your 40's, I think you will be fine.

answered

hudsonhawke

Established Member
Reaction score
cheers DoctorHouse, I must have missed that post :whistle:

I'm not sure I'll go with meds just yet. I'm petrified they will shed everything. Was going to try rogein foam, but again all I hear are nightmare shedding experiences.

I think I'll wait it out a little longer and if it's only these areas getting bad may opt for some FUE graphs.

DonaldAnderson

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Looking at family members, I would anticipate very possibly you would get similar misfortune eventually. Looks like you have almost a norwood stage 2. Maybe not.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hudson, even if you wait it out and then get FUE, you are still going to have to take Propecia to prevent shock loss and further recession. The longer you wait, the hard it will be to reverse. I don't understand how you fear shedding when the same thing will happy with a hair transplant. Most hair transplants can be avoided with using Propecia and minoxidil. If I thought FUE was the answer to my problem, I would have proceeded with one. After the hair transplant Doctor told me how a hair transplant could possibly make your hair "worse" in the process just re-assured me to just keep taking my Propecia and use minoxidil. Shedding is part of the "growing" process. Right now, I don't know if its the humidity, a mild shed, or more recession happing, but my hair line especially near the center is getting worse again. My hair is more whispy now as well. According to my hair cycles my hair gets worse in June and July and then recovers by late September. I think maybe that is what is happening. I would do something now before you regret it.

hudsonhawke

Established Member
Reaction score
cheers guys :)

doctorhouse: how does the hair transplant make the hair worse? is it in the sense that whilst the other hair continues to shed you are left with the hair transplant hairs and it may look odd?

I see your point about taking propecia and minoxidil. even though my hair is thick it's still dry and wispy. Did you notice any big improvements since taking the meds? How bad is the shed when it gets bad? I've never seen any photos of when the hair is at its best to when it sheds real bad.

How about if I start of with minoxidil and if I see any changes in the rest of the hair I go on the propecia?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Some people can get shock loss with a hair transplant where they lose their native hairs (surrounding the transplanted hairs) permanently. I would hate for that to happen to me. Once you try minoxidil you will be a slave to it. I still hate using minoxidil but I have learned it helps me somewhat so I continue to use it. Its so much easier to pop a pill to fight hair loss than deal with topicals. I never noticed any great improvement when taking the medications. As a matter of fact, the medications could not help me keep my hairline from receding. I guess they probably maybe slowed things down but overall I am not completely satisfied with how the medications have worked for me. My weakest spot is my true widow's peak. The meds never saved it from diffusely thinning away. Right now that area is really diffuse but I am hoping its just another shed and comes back thicker.

FFS

Reaction score
hudsonhawke said:
hey kerzyguy,

I'll be 30 this year. Baldness in my family is pretty bad! Both grandfathers were bald and my mums brothers and my dad are all bald, around a norwood 7 and they are in their 60's. my brother has a good hairline, but is diffuse thining pretty bad on top especially around the crown.

Though I'm being optomistic :) my hair is thick all over, just that bit on the temple and unusual thin hair on the sides. the left side shows simular thining but not as bad as the right.
Dude u are fuckin' lucky! If both sides of your family have balding and are around nw7 and u still have those hair around 30! U should really be greatful for your luck (in the gene recombination), that's almost like winning the lottery!

davestep

Reaction score
I've just turned 23 and receeded badly. frlom what i can see, id kill for a hairline like that at 30!!

hudsonhawke

Established Member
Reaction score
Dam, I wish I started on finasteride back then :D I've not done anything to my hair for 12-13 years since posting this and after the stress of raising an autistic toddler it's started to fall out rapidly :-O My crown which was pretty full last year is extremely thin and down to the skin! The top is diffusing pretty bad too. I started Regaine today, so will keep track of it here. Starting Finasteride next week.

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dam, I wish I started on finasteride back then :D I've not done anything to my hair for 12-13 years since posting this and after the stress of raising an autistic toddler it's started to fall out rapidly :-O My crown which was pretty full last year is extremely thin and down to the skin! The top is diffusing pretty bad too. I started Regaine today, so will keep track of it here. Starting Finasteride next week.

Damn 13 years on.. pics please

hudsonhawke

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics 13 years on. On the left is the same angle as in the first post. I suppose it's not too bad for 13 years and I'm into my 40's now. The crown is quite bad which is to be expected. Yes I do wish I started finasteride earlier :D though if I can get just a bit of regrowth now then I'm happy. I've started on Rogaine for a couple of weeks now. Nothing noticeably happening yet. Will start on finasteride today at 1mg per day and see how that goes.

1664364547427.png

I think more than anything the shed is what put me off for so many years. I tried a product with minoxidil in my twenties only applying on the temples as they were curly and I wanted them straighter?!. Not sure what the heck I was thinking though I remember the sides of my hair thinned out for years and the hair I applied it to on the temple shed and never grew back as I stopped applying the product. So that's why I didn't want to use it in my 30's. Now I don't care as much :D