Henna As A Density Booster For Diffuse Thinners

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just tried it today, I'll put some pictures up tomorrow.

I have dark brown hair and bought medium brown henna. I let it sit on my hair for 4 hours. My hair feels a lot healthier, looks a lot healthier, and it gave a bit of a density boost... maybe 10% to 20%.

It isn't significant enough for me to ditch dermmatch. I mostly did it because I am 35 and have some gray which looked odd to me when I use concealers. I recently dyed my beard (just for men) and it looked good (left a little gray for natural look) so figured I'd go the extra mile.

I chose a shade lower so it'll look more natural rather than having 1 solid color... since my hair has never been 1 solid color.

I'll include some pictures tomorrow for how it looks without concealer and then Monday I'll show how it looks with concealer compared to how it looked pre-henna.

If you work Monday through Friday I recommend doing it Friday night since the final color doesn't set until a few days after you do it. In my case, I have very slight green/brown in some spots, but I expected this based on my research.

I've read articles (non scientific) about henna helping to revive miniature hairs after 3 to 4 treatments spread out 3 months between treatments. If anything, it makes hair feel amazing.

Pros:
Hair looks fuller
Hair looks and feels healthier
Hair is more manageable

Cons:
The process takes long (mostly just the wait and wash out)
It smells like decomposing plants
Color takes a while to set and could potentially look bad for 2 to 3 days

Last edited:

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been thinking of dying my hair with henna so this is interesting, im getting a lot of greys at 30, my hair is very dark brown/black. I have heard that it's sometimes hard for the indigo henna to stick to the hair, i don't want to use it and end up with lots of orange hairs, i would like to dye my hair a light black colour. Any tips?

Last edited:

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been thinking of dying my hair with henna so this is interesting, im getting a lot of greys at 30, my hair is very dark brown/black. I have heard that it's sometimes hard for the indigo henna to stick to the hair, i don't want to use it and end up with lots of orange hairs, i would like to dye my hair a light black colour. Any tips?

I ordered "Manly Guy Medium Brown" from Henna King. It was an easy kit to uss, just had to slowly add water until the powder was like pancake batter. For darker colors you want to add 1 teaspoon of salt per 100 grams of powder to darken it up and leave it on for longer. The instructions will say 1.5 to 3 hours, but in reality you want 4 to 6 hours.

The nice part about henna is that it won't lighten up dark hairs, it can only darken light hairs. Basically my dark brown stayed as is but all my gray and translucent looking hair turnee a darkee medium brown.

If you've been thinking about it then definitely do it. I bought my package like 6 months ago but sat on it because I was afraid of the results being bad. Reading that it could revive miniature follicles gave me the incentive to go for it and now I definitely wish I did this sooner.

Just beware of the smell. I added sandalore to mine to try to help it, I should have used more than I did. I haven't shampooed yet, but plan on doing that twice tomorrow and twice Monday before work. Luckily for my job I can have 100% of my client contact be outside, which will help with the smell if it is still strong. If I did this over I would have done it Thursday after work and had all of Friday through Sunday to work on the smell.. I luckily only work Monday, Tuesday, and Thursdays.

today

Reaction score
Hi lurker85, i used henna years ago and was impressed with the level of density it gave my hair. After seeing your post last month i have been keeping an eye on any updates. I cant remember why i stopped using it. Think it might have been because it was darkening my hair too much as i reapplied every 6 weeks or so for a good half year.

I bought henna again because i have grey/white hairs coming in here an there. I am hesitant though cause i have been dermarolling everyday for about 3 years now an wouldnt want to risk a reaction. Would love to know how you are getting on with the henna. Thanks for making this thread.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi lurker85, i used henna years ago and was impressed with the level of density it gave my hair. After seeing your post last month i have been keeping an eye on any updates. I cant remember why i stopped using it. Think it might have been because it was darkening my hair too much as i reapplied every 6 weeks or so for a good half year.

I bought henna again because i have grey/white hairs coming in here an there. I am hesitant though cause i have been dermarolling everyday for about 3 years now an wouldnt want to risk a reaction. Would love to know how you are getting on with the henna. Thanks for making this thread.

I'll give this thread an update soon, this just got really hectic over the last few months at work. I've been happy with the henna results, but it isn't a replacement for concealers... but does make them blend in much more.