Help With Cutting New Hair Piece To The Correct Size

munt

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi To all

I have now got my new system ( first time user ) which i need help with cutting it to the correct size.

On the new system there is a thin poly rim around the edge which i am not sure what this is as for as i only ordered a lace system only

I have added a pic of the new hair system please can someone advise .
Hair Piece To Resize.JPG

I no longer have the template as this was sent away when ordering

many thanks
munt

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Munt,

Yes, that rim is part of the manufacturing process, presumably to stop the lace fraying, and it's meant to be cut off.

The first thing is to identify where the hairline is (it will usually be the opposite end from the name tag). First of all cut off the spare lace from in front of the hairline. Use small sharp scissors - nail scissors are ideal. Be careful only to cut the lace, and not the hair. Some people like to cut the lace off right up to the front hair, especially if they plan to wear tape at the hairline. Others, especially glue wearers, prefer to leave about a millimetre of bare lace in front of the front hair, to stop fraying which would cause the front hair to shed. It's a matter of taste.

Once you have the front hairline trimmed, you need to trim the back and sides to fit. If you have someone to help you, like a friendly wife, you could simply position the hairline where you want it on your head, and then get her to mark the edge of your baldspot on the base of the hairpiece. You could then trim the base to the mark she has made. If you can't or don't want to do that, I'm afraid the only alternative is to make another template. You then place the hairline of the template on the hairline of the hairpiece, and trim off the excess.

The important thing to remember is that you shouldn't trim into the factory-made hairline. If it is a well-made hairpiece it will have a graduated hairline - i.e. the density will build up gradually like a natural hairline. That is important to creating a natural look, so you don't want to cut the graduation off.

Good luck.

munt

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Noah

Long time no speak hope you a re well.

Thanks for the reply i will make a template and do as you have suggested i thought i may have to but was unsure.

Yes the hair piece has a graduated hair line and is a light to medium density

what are your views on scalp protectors should you use or not do they work or not ?

My plan was to glue the front and use tape at the sides and rear of the system is this the best way or not as i need to have a undetectable hair line as the hair is worn back at the front so it will be exposed.

munt

Noah

Reaction score
Scalp protectors do work, but not everyone needs them. Basically they have 2 functions: (1) to protect sensitive scalp skin from adhesives that might be causing irritation; or (2) to protect your adhesive bond from excessive sweating or scalp oil which might reduce its strength or make it turn white. If you don't sweat a lot or have sensitive skin, you may not need scalp protector.

Your adhesive plan is the same as mine, and I think it's a good compromise between convenience and undetectability.

munt

My Regimen
Reaction score
I did enquire about the old template being sent back to me but the maker is out of the UK and would cost me £45 to send it back with a wait time of 3 weeks. So my gut feeling is to redo a new template .

Just another question which is about the alcohol used to remove the old glue , skin grease etc.

can you buy this unbranded from a drug store any ideas of a make which is not branded only for hair piece users

munt

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I did enquire about the old template being sent back to me but the maker is out of the UK and would cost me £45 to send it back with a wait time of 3 weeks. So my gut feeling is to redo a new template .

Just another question which is about the alcohol used to remove the old glue , skin grease etc.

can you buy this unbranded from a drug store any ideas of a make which is not branded only for hair piece users

munt

Wow, that's almost like ransom. Are you going to order from them again, then you should demand a return?

Alcohol is great for breaking the bond and getting the unit off your head. You can also use an alcohol-dampened cloth (or cotton balls) to get the leftover glue off the base. If you have stubborn areas that don't clean up, you can use Autoglym to break up the leftover glue. You wash the system in some dish soap to get it clean, after.

munt

My Regimen
Reaction score
you could say that , Is rubbing alcohol ok to use ? or is that what it is ?

I chose to go down the DIY route but was unsure of what i really needed to have for my individual needs , but Noah gave me a load of help .

I started a to talk to NWL and all was going well and a hair piece was being made to the spec which was required for my particular needs ,
and i was ready to order the new system through them but then came the import tax which then made the unit cost far to expensive and none viable. ( wish i had a relative in the USA )

I chose to use a UK based company and got a good price for a custom piece to be made to the same spec as NWL had intended to supply which worked out cheaper due to the import tax . sorry NWL

what i did not know was the unit was to be made abroad and the lady was just a third party ( supplier only )

The piece i now have is just for trial and error so get used to putting it on taking off cleaning etc and make little tweaks to the system so when i order a new piece it will be exactly what i require.

munt

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
you could say that , Is rubbing alcohol ok to use ? or is that what it is ?

I chose to go down the DIY route but was unsure of what i really needed to have for my individual needs , but Noah gave me a load of help .

I started a to talk to NWL and all was going well and a hair piece was being made to the spec which was required for my particular needs ,
and i was ready to order the new system through them but then came the import tax which then made the unit cost far to expensive and none viable. ( wish i had a relative in the USA )

I chose to use a UK based company and got a good price for a custom piece to be made to the same spec as NWL had intended to supply which worked out cheaper due to the import tax . sorry NWL

what i did not know was the unit was to be made abroad and the lady was just a third party ( supplier only )

The piece i now have is just for trial and error so get used to putting it on taking off cleaning etc and make little tweaks to the system so when i order a new piece it will be exactly what i require.

munt

99% alcohol, it's not rubbing alcohol, which is 70%. I buy it at the hardware store, as it is much cheaper (it's ethanol, basically). I pay about 5 £ for a liter, where it would cost £8.50 for 250 ml at the chemists.

It depends on your base, length, style, etc.

I have a shampoo for damaged hair + a heavy conditioner (Gliss from Schwarzkopf). I also just started using Gliss Hair Repair spray instead of the BC spray in sunscreen conditioner, as it's got more oils in it. I also add a squirt of Aragan oil to the conditioners.

My hair is long, so I use an untangle brush.

Yes, lots of trial and error with this... especially if you go DIY.

"what i did not know was the unit was to be made abroad and the lady was just a third party ( supplier only )" not unusual, they are almost ALWAYS made in China, at a price that would make you cry, if you knew what the real cost was.

munt

My Regimen
Reaction score
RU based in the UK BaldBearded.

Please can you give me the name of the alcohol you use and is it from a well known hardware shop ?.

is there any way to find out where in China to get the new systems made or do they only supply to suppliers only or can you order from them direct ?

munt

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
RU based in the UK BaldBearded.

Please can you give me the name of the alcohol you use and is it from a well known hardware shop ?.

is there any way to find out where in China to get the new systems made or do they only supply to suppliers only or can you order from them direct ?

munt

Sorry, not in the UK, I will PM you a China source.

Dionysus57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Munt,

Yes, that rim is part of the manufacturing process, presumably to stop the lace fraying, and it's meant to be cut off.

The first thing is to identify where the hairline is (it will usually be the opposite end from the name tag). First of all cut off the spare lace from in front of the hairline. Use small sharp scissors - nail scissors are ideal. Be careful only to cut the lace, and not the hair. Some people like to cut the lace off right up to the front hair, especially if they plan to wear tape at the hairline. Others, especially glue wearers, prefer to leave about a millimetre of bare lace in front of the front hair, to stop fraying which would cause the front hair to shed. It's a matter of taste.

Once you have the front hairline trimmed, you need to trim the back and sides to fit. If you have someone to help you, like a friendly wife, you could simply position the hairline where you want it on your head, and then get her to mark the edge of your baldspot on the base of the hairpiece. You could then trim the base to the mark she has made. If you can't or don't want to do that, I'm afraid the only alternative is to make another template. You then place the hairline of the template on the hairline of the hairpiece, and trim off the excess.

The important thing to remember is that you shouldn't trim into the factory-made hairline. If it is a well-made hairpiece it will have a graduated hairline - i.e. the density will build up gradually like a natural hairline. That is important to creating a natural look, so you don't want to cut the graduation off.

Good luck.

Hey Noah,

If you cut the back and sides to fit, how do you stop this fraying as well.

Is there a way or a trick of sealing or sewing it to stop this happening?

Slapster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry, not in the UK, I will PM you a China source.
Hi BaldBearded - I'm also in the UK, so will most likely be hammered by the same import tax on a system from NWL or TL. Would you please PM me the China source too? Thanks.

Noah

Reaction score
As a matter of interest, what percentage are people in the U.K. paying in import duty on products from the US?

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As a matter of interest, what percentage are people in the U.K. paying in import duty on products from the US?

Also in the UK. I got my piece from NWL and the import tax was a hit but the real hit was postage from Debbie. So overall it didn't work out much cheaper but price isn't the reason I went for NWL.... I wanted to check out the service/quality. Haven't used that system yet - it's just a backup system at the moment because I'm not sure of it and am instead waiting for a custom system from Ukhairsystems.

Slapster

My Regimen
Reaction score
That $60 postage charge really pushes up the price, but an extra customs fee on top of that would be a killer. Especially as Customs charge you a fee on top of that fee for, erm, charging you a fee. I really hate this country.

allanzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
I purchased systems from China over the past few months, the custom fee is about £4, maybe they write a very low price for my package.