Help With Choosing A Turkish Hair Transplant Surgeon

abc1563

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am looking at getting a second hair transplant in Turkey, in the near future and need some help deciding which surgeon to go with. I started losing my hair when I was eighteen, and had my first hair transplant when I was around 21, which I know was a bit early. I went to one of the best clinics in the world, which I won't name, but a year later, the results did not turn out as expected and I had low density overall. I have since consulted other surgeons, that mentioned the yield was quite poor, and since then I have just used a hat, when going out or concealers to hide it. I was also not taking propecia initially, and started it about a year and a half ago, which has helped tremendously, and regrown some hair. I have chosen Turkey, mainly because of some great results I have seen posted on this and other forums. Another reason is cost. I spent close to $20,000 on my first procedure and ended up with a 50-55% yield at best. While I would be willing to pay just as much, my first experience is making me extremely cautious. I might end up with a low yield once again and end up losing almost double what I spent, with nothing to show for. So far, I have had consultations with Dr Erdogan, Dr Yaman, Dr Cinik, Dr Demirsoy, Dr Karadeniz and Dr Acar. I have narrowed it down to Dr Yaman, and Dr Cinik, but am not sure which surgeon to choose. Both of them believe they can get a good result and use body hair, in case donor hair is not enough. I am leaning more towards Dr Yaman, but am still undecided and need help in deciding between the two.

HMEG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am looking at getting a second hair transplant in Turkey, in the near future and need some help deciding which surgeon to go with. I started losing my hair when I was eighteen, and had my first hair transplant when I was around 21, which I know was a bit early. I went to one of the best clinics in the world, which I won't name, but a year later, the results did not turn out as expected and I had low density overall. I have since consulted other surgeons, that mentioned the yield was quite poor, and since then I have just used a hat, when going out or concealers to hide it. I was also not taking propecia initially, and started it about a year and a half ago, which has helped tremendously, and regrown some hair. I have chosen Turkey, mainly because of some great results I have seen posted on this and other forums. Another reason is cost. I spent close to $20,000 on my first procedure and ended up with a 50-55% yield at best. While I would be willing to pay just as much, my first experience is making me extremely cautious. I might end up with a low yield once again and end up losing almost double what I spent, with nothing to show for. So far, I have had consultations with Dr Erdogan, Dr Yaman, Dr Cinik, Dr Demirsoy, Dr Karadeniz and Dr Acar. I have narrowed it down to Dr Yaman, and Dr Cinik, but am not sure which surgeon to choose. Both of them believe they can get a good result and use body hair, in case donor hair is not enough. I am leaning more towards Dr Yaman, but am still undecided and need help in deciding between the two.
Hi abc,
Did you do research on HLC clinic in Ankara, Dr Ozgur. I'm NW6 and this clinic was recommended to me by someone in the US (as prices in the US are high and I need a high graft number) and claims they produce better results than ********.
At €2.7 per graft, they are not cheap and probably the highest in Turkey.

Who recommended dr Cinik and Yaman for you, someone who had a nice experience with them or the forums and other hair loss websites as the ISHRS.
Kindly let me know where did you have your first surgery. I can send you my email if you don't want to announce it here.

abc1563

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi abc,
Did you do research on HLC clinic in Ankara, Dr Ozgur. I'm NW6 and this clinic was recommended to me by someone in the US (as prices in the US are high and I need a high graft number) and claims they produce better results than ********.
At €2.7 per graft, they are not cheap and probably the highest in Turkey.

Who recommended dr Cinik and Yaman for you, someone who had a nice experience with them or the forums and other hair loss websites as the ISHRS.
Kindly let me know where did you have your first surgery. I can send you my email if you don't want to announce it here.
Hey. I forgot to mention, but I did contact the HLC. From what I have read online Dr Ozgur does not perform the procedure and it is carried out by one of the other doctors. I believe the cost is higher if you want him to perform the procedure. I am not 100% sure but if you are going with him it is definitely worth asking them who will carry out the surgery. I would have chosen him, but during the consultation we differed on where to place the grafts. I was quoted 3900 grafts just for the hairline and temples, with no coverage on midscalp and crown, which is not what I am looking for. As I am headed towards a Norwood 6 I believe temples are not important at this stage. Furthemore I will require two procedures if I went this route so I am a bit hesitant. I did mention my concerns but they will only be able to address them once I am at the clinic in person. Since the doctor and myself differ on our expectations I did not think it was a good idea to go with them. As for Dr Yaman, he is one of two surgeons recommended on another site along with Erdogan and has produced brilliant results which can be found on youtube and other sites. I am unsure about Dr Cinik though since most of the results I have seen are good to great and there appear to be a bit too many positive review which raise red flags for me.

HMEG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey. I forgot to mention, but I did contact the HLC. From what I have read online Dr Ozgur does not perform the procedure and it is carried out by one of the other doctors. I believe the cost is higher if you want him to perform the procedure. I am not 100% sure but if you are going with him it is definitely worth asking them who will carry out the surgery. I would have chosen him, but during the consultation we differed on where to place the grafts. I was quoted 3900 grafts just for the hairline and temples, with no coverage on midscalp and crown, which is not what I am looking for. As I am headed towards a Norwood 6 I believe temples are not important at this stage. Furthemore I will require two procedures if I went this route so I am a bit hesitant. I did mention my concerns but they will only be able to address them once I am at the clinic in person. Since the doctor and myself differ on our expectations I did not think it was a good idea to go with them. As for Dr Yaman, he is one of two surgeons recommended on another site along with Erdogan and has produced brilliant results which can be found on youtube and other sites. I am unsure about Dr Cinik though since most of the results I have seen are good to great and there appear to be a bit too many positive review which raise red flags for me.
As far as I know the doctors in HLC have been trained for years. The recommendations I got were based on the overall results of the clinic regardless of the doctor who will perform. I think even if Dr Ozgur will do it, he will not do the whole procedure. The positive things are they do manual extractions, stick and place, and divide the procedure into 2 days if large number is needed.
I've heard that Erdogan does not do the surgery, the techs will do it.
As for me, do you advise to consult any clinic in the US or Europe?

subterfuge

Reaction score
I'm looking into surgery in Turkey, too.

Not easy to know who to choose. Shame there's not a single link with an overall rating and price of say 10 Turkey clinics.

I'm looking at diamondhairclinic, cosmedica and elithairtransplant

I need about 1800 grafts to fix my hairline.

Also, ideally I don't want to shave the recipient area which puts a bit of a spoke in the wheel I think

Last edited:

abc1563

My Regimen
Reaction score
As far as I know the doctors in HLC have been trained for years. The recommendations I got were based on the overall results of the clinic regardless of the doctor who will perform. I think even if Dr Ozgur will do it, he will not do the whole procedure. The positive things are they do manual extractions, stick and place, and divide the procedure into 2 days if large number is needed.
I've heard that Erdogan does not do the surgery, the techs will do it.
As for me, do you advise to consult any clinic in the US or Europe?
I don't think you would go wrong choosing HLC, they have some great results posted online, as well as on youtube. I would have chosen them, but I don't agree with the doctor's recommendations. I am currently a Norwood 5, so I feel it would waste grafts, if I were to get them transplanted into the temples. Of course they are willing to take my preference into consideration, but that will only take place once I have booked the surgery and have my pre surgery consultation. I would definitely recommend messaging other clinics in Europe, US and Turkey as well, for an online consultation. It would give you an idea for the number of grafts required in your case and also help you plan out the surgery better. Another thing I would advise is not to rush into surgery and keep asking questions when you are consulting with the clinic. That was the mistake I made during the first procedure, so I am trying to be a bit cautious, this time around.

abc1563

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm looking into surgery in Turkey, too.

Not easy to know who to choose. Shame there's not a single link with an overall rating and price of say 10 Turkey clinics.

I'm looking at diamondhairclinic, cosmedica and elithairtransplant

I need about 1800 grafts to fix my hairline.

Also, ideally I don't want to shave the recipient area which puts a bit of a spoke in the wheel I think
I believe some clinics in Turkey do offer a no shave option, but it will cost you quite a bit more. Have you consulted with these clinics yet? I have had consultations with Cosmedica, but that was about it. There is a site if you search for best hair clinics, which is what the site is called, you should be able to find a list with all the clinics, their prices and other important info, which will help a lot. If you can't find it let me know and I will send you the link

HMEG

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think you would go wrong choosing HLC, they have some great results posted online, as well as on youtube. I would have chosen them, but I don't agree with the doctor's recommendations. I am currently a Norwood 5, so I feel it would waste grafts, if I were to get them transplanted into the temples. Of course they are willing to take my preference into consideration, but that will only take place once I have booked the surgery and have my pre surgery consultation. I would definitely recommend messaging other clinics in Europe, US and Turkey as well, for an online consultation. It would give you an idea for the number of grafts required in your case and also help you plan out the surgery better. Another thing I would advise is not to rush into surgery and keep asking questions when you are consulting with the clinic. That was the mistake I made during the first procedure, so I am trying to be a bit cautious, this time around.
Guess what? With NW6, I got a similar transplant recommendation from HLC; 3500-4000 grafts for TEMPLES and frontal area. They want to fix the frontal area with a density of 50 hairs/ cm2. I think it's a waste of grafts on the temples to start with. Then after 6-12 months they recommend another session for the crown.
No one ever quoted this large no. of grafts in one single surgery via FUE
Chicago Hair Institute recommended 1500-2000 grafts (FUE), Dr B*****a 3,000 grafts (also FUE), and a famous center in Minneapolis 3,000-4,000 (FUT).

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’d recommend elsewhere in Europe other than Turkey but that’s only my recommendation. I know the low prices and high amount of grafts used are very appealing to some though.

HLV

abc1563

My Regimen
Reaction score
Guess what? With NW6, I got a similar transplant recommendation from HLC; 3500-4000 grafts for TEMPLES and frontal area. They want to fix the frontal area with a density of 50 hairs/ cm2. I think it's a waste of grafts on the temples to start with. Then after 6-12 months they recommend another session for the crown.
No one ever quoted this large no. of grafts in one single surgery via FUE
Chicago Hair Institute recommended 1500-2000 grafts (FUE), Dr B*****a 3,000 grafts (also FUE), and a famous center in Minneapolis 3,000-4,000 (FUT).
Most clinics in Turkey are likely to quote 4000+ grafts and being Norwood 6, you may need a second transplant. I got the exact same quote from the clinic and was told I would require a second procedure in six months time. Other clinics are confident I can get good coverage with 4000 grafts and since you got a similar email, it seems like they are just sending out the same emails which does raise some red flags. One of thr clinics I consulted did not even look at my pictures before coming up with a quote so I am not sure if HLC is doing the same. Also most doctors in US and Europe won't go past 3000 grafts in a FUE session which could be a good and bad thing. In Turkey you will find doctors doing up to 5500 grafts per session and the results usually turn out great. I personally found doctors in US charge too much for transplants and I am not willing to pay almost 40k to get my hair back.

abc1563

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’d recommend elsewhere in Europe other than Turkey but that’s only my recommendation. I know the low prices and high amount of grafts used are very appealing to some though.

HLV
I have seen some great results from Turkish clinics which is why I am leaning in that direction. Cost is not an issue for me but I previously paid almost 20k and got awful results from a top clinic. I also know I need a high number of grafts so at this point Turkey just seems like the best option

fairhurst

My Regimen
Reaction score
yep agree with you there... all automated quotes from the main ones ive found in Turkey.. GMH or Cosmedica or Cinik...
again as above im norwood 6 too. so a quote of 3500 grafts roughly of each clinic...but no real quote or advice properly just pure sales and booking you in...

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Most clinics in Turkey are likely to quote 4000+ grafts and being Norwood 6, you may need a second transplant. I got the exact same quote from the clinic and was told I would require a second procedure in six months time. Other clinics are confident I can get good coverage with 4000 grafts and since you got a similar email, it seems like they are just sending out the same emails which does raise some red flags. One of thr clinics I consulted did not even look at my pictures before coming up with a quote so I am not sure if HLC is doing the same. Also most doctors in US and Europe won't go past 3000 grafts in a FUE session which could be a good and bad thing. In Turkey you will find doctors doing up to 5500 grafts per session and the results usually turn out great. I personally found doctors in US charge too much for transplants and I am not willing to pay almost 40k to get my hair back.

The reason for not going past 3,000 in a session is due to the fact that the more grafts that are placed the higher the risk of an undesirable outcome. This is not a guarantee but an increased risk. We also have to consider the long term future of a transplant and having mega sessions of 4,000 to 5,000 grafts will not leave much donor hair to harvest from in future if anything goes wrong.

HLV

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have seen some great results from Turkish clinics which is why I am leaning in that direction. Cost is not an issue for me but I previously paid almost 20k and got awful results from a top clinic. I also know I need a high number of grafts so at this point Turkey just seems like the best option

Wish you all the best man. Sorry to hear you had bad results from a top surgeon. 20K is quite a lot. Could you disclose the surgeon as that is a very high cost.

HLV

abc1563

My Regimen
Reaction score
yep agree with you there... all automated quotes from the main ones ive found in Turkey.. GMH or Cosmedica or Cinik...
again as above im norwood 6 too. so a quote of 3500 grafts roughly of each clinic...but no real quote or advice properly just pure sales and booking you in...
Yeah it is a bit frustrating. I believe Dr Yaman and Cinik were the only ones that looked at my pictures. Dr Yaman's assistant drew on my pictures how the grafts would be distributed which was a nice touch and send me a similar case to mine as well. I also consulted with Dr Erdogan but that seems risky as I have seen some not so great results on either sites although I won't rule him out either

abc1563

My Regimen
Reaction score
The reason for not going past 3,000 in a session is due to the fact that the more grafts that are placed the higher the risk of an undesirable outcome. This is not a guarantee but an increased risk. We also have to consider the long term future of a transplant and having mega sessions of 4,000 to 5,000 grafts will not leave much donor hair to harvest from in future if anything goes wrong.

HLV
That is true, but as far as I know quite a few doctors carry out megasession but only via FUT. I believe with FUE you run the risk of overharvesting the donor area, which is why an in person consultation is important. I have seen results from Turkey where the donor area was overharvested and it does not look good. For some people a large session is not an issue, but for others it can be problematic. I believe some doctors are able to measure the thickness of your donor area and also determine how many grafts can be extracted safely but I doubt there are many that use that technology.

abc1563

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wish you all the best man. Sorry to hear you had bad results from a top surgeon. 20K is quite a lot. Could you disclose the surgeon as that is a very high cost.

HLV
Hey. If you send me a pm I will let you know who the doctor was. At this point I am in contact with the clinic as they are offering a free touch up procedure so until I sort things out with them I would prefer keeping things a bit private. I had my procedure 5 yrs ago so the fact that they are still offering a touch up shows the difference between a great and good clinic.

HMEG

My Regimen
Reaction score
That is true, but as far as I know quite a few doctors carry out megasession but only via FUT. I believe with FUE you run the risk of overharvesting the donor area, which is why an in person consultation is important. I have seen results from Turkey where the donor area was overharvested and it does not look good. For some people a large session is not an issue, but for others it can be problematic. I believe some doctors are able to measure the thickness of your donor area and also determine how many grafts can be extracted safely but I doubt there are many that use that technology.
To give people what they deserve, the only hair restoration surgeon (I consulted about 10 surgeons) who really analysed my pictures and responded with a personalised respectable hair loss analysis was from Chicago Hair Institute. I think you guessed HER name. After my first email (I'm NW6), SHE said I need FUT 2500 and that FUE harvesting would certainly limit me to a session of no more than and possibly less than 2000 grafts but pointed out that some photos that show my donor area are not that clear and I need to send more accurate donor area photos. After I sent better photos, she noticed something in my donor area that made her change the treatment plan and recommended instead FUE 1500-2000. She said that even if my donor area provides a large number of grafts, it's better to limit harvesting to 1500-2000 grafts and wait to see results. If the donor area is fine afterwards and doesn't look thin, we can harvest more to build further density or use chest or beard hair if scalp donor area is not an available source. I really highly regard her analysis. She also did a phone consultation which, I think, no one ever in Turkey would do and even in Europe.
But the imortant question is at NW6, can I achieve a good aesthetic result with just 1500-2000 to begin with? Sometimes it's not the number of grafts that matters but what you do and how do you place them.
Her analytical skills are good but what about her surgical skills? I think She's been 3 years into practice and hair restoration is not 100% of her practice because she is performing facelifting and nosejobs in addition.
The surgery cost quoted was, of course, high.
What do you think of US or Canadian physicians competence in FUE (of course I'm talking about top physicians in the US). Are they recommended over top European or Turkish surgeons if FUE is considered?

abc1563

My Regimen
Reaction score
To give people what they deserve, the only hair restoration surgeon (I consulted about 10 surgeons) who really analysed my pictures and responded with a personalised respectable hair loss analysis was from Chicago Hair Institute. I think you guessed HER name. After my first email (I'm NW6), SHE said I need FUT 2500 and that FUE harvesting would certainly limit me to a session of no more than and possibly less than 2000 grafts but pointed out that some photos that show my donor area are not that clear and I need to send more accurate donor area photos. After I sent better photos, she noticed something in my donor area that made her change the treatment plan and recommended instead FUE 1500-2000. She said that even if my donor area provides a large number of grafts, it's better to limit harvesting to 1500-2000 grafts and wait to see results. If the donor area is fine afterwards and doesn't look thin, we can harvest more to build further density or use chest or beard hair if scalp donor area is not an available source. I really highly regard her analysis. She also did a phone consultation which, I think, no one ever in Turkey would do and even in Europe.
But the imortant question is at NW6, can I achieve a good aesthetic result with just 1500-2000 to begin with? Sometimes it's not the number of grafts that matters but what you do and how do you place them.
Her analytical skills are good but what about her surgical skills? I think She's been 3 years into practice and hair restoration is not 100% of her practice because she is performing facelifting and nosejobs in addition.
The surgery cost quoted was, of course, high.
What do you think of US or Canadian physicians competence in FUE (of course I'm talking about top physicians in the US). Are they recommended over top European or Turkish surgeons if FUE is considered?
I have had phone consultations with Dr Wong and Dr Rahal in Canada, so it is something, most great doctors would do. If I was in your situation I would honestly not agree to undergo a procedure which would yield 2500 grafts via FUT, or less via FUE. The main problem is that, since you are Norwood 6, 2500 grafts, would most likely only cover the hairline and maybe a bit of the midscalp, leaving everything behind with no hair. Although, that is also dependent on how much native hair you have left. During my previous procedure I got 3300 grafts via FUT and it was barely enough to cover the hairline. You also have to take into account hair characteristics, do you have thin, fine hair, or thicker hairs. Of course with the latter you can cover more area with less grafts. At a minimum, from my research you require 1000 grafts, for every Norwood scale on average, so going based off that, you would most likely require three procedures if you chose to undergo the procedure at the Chicago Hair institute. I would also only focus on doctors that perform hair transplants and nothing else. As for FUE in US and Canada, I believe some doctors do great work, although like you mentioned the cost is extremely high, which can go up to $12 per graft in the US. In Canada, Dr Rahal and Hasson and Wong are known more for their results with FUT, so if you wanted to go with them, I would suggest going the FUT route. H&W have some great results for higher Norwood cases such as yours, so it may be worthwhile consulting with them as well. As for Turkey, I would only suggest Dr Erdogan or Dr Yaman, but this is from my own personal research. Dr Erdogan is one of the best FUE doctors in Turkey and perhaps the world and the cost is around 2.5 euros per graft which is still cheaper than US and Canada. I would have undergone a procedure with him, but for some reason the results over the past year haven't been as great as they used to be, according to what I have read on other sites. Again I won't completely rule out Dr Erdogan either and I believe he can do quite well with larger Norwood cases as well

Abi28

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dr Demirsoy, Pekiner and Keser are some of the best doctors in Turkey, they do everything themselves except for demirsoy he does about 70% of the procedure, I would highly recommend Kaan Pekiner from personal experience.

Last edited: