Help! Should I get a hair system??

linkage

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a Norwood 3 with diffuse thining, especially on crown. So far, I buzzed my hair really short and use toppik. I had worked well so far. However, my hairline and temple is receding quickly, so I am consindering 2 options

1) Totally shave it all off
2) Hair system

I kinda want to try hair system first. Would be really great if someone can answer some of these questions

1) Anyone has photo of people actually wearing hair piece (excep for Michigan Baldy -- which does look good). I just want to see more. Photos on hair direct looked pretty horrible actually. So it discouraged me.

2) Should I go to a hair salon to get it for the first one or try it out with online (i.e. HairDirect)? I feel like ordering your first one online seems really complicated and I may just order something totally bad.

3) I sweat a lot -- is that an issue? I also work out and enjoy being outdoor a lot. Is this thing going to hold up? I actually enjoy swimming but I can give it up if I will look better.

4) I am Asian and the hair density of my back/side quite thin (not balding but just has that see-through look). Is this going to be an issue?

5) Is it possible to maintain your own hair cut with a system? What do you do when hair in the side back continue to grow but the crown/front stay the same length? Doesn't that look funny?

Thanks a lot for all the help....

Joe

trapsource

Reaction score
1. Some photos look great and some horible. But your life is not a photo. You will be seen in every light and situation by others. There will be times people can tell, or stare because something isnt right
2.Sweating can be an issue, all depends on your body chemistry. It is attached with glue and the sweat will loosen the glue. So everytime you are outdoors you worry if you put enough on or it will last. Im not saying it will come off but you do ALWAYS WORRY!
3. You should get a thinner style of system. The way to detect is some have thinner hair at the back and sides and a thick rug on top. It has to be porportionate , and you have to find a good salon or get to be an expert if you are buying your own.
4. You have to get the system taken off to get it cut. Most go to a salon that specilizes in hair systems. Evey four to six weeks and it looks fine (lenghtwise)
I think a maintaing a perfect hair system is like maintaining a car. When you wash it and its sitting in your driveway it looks perfect. Un fortunately you have to venture out and there will be times when it doent look good. The more active you are, the more risks. I wore one for 7 years so I know exactly how it works.
It can look pretty decent but it takes alot of work. Its not a "set it and forget it" kind of thing. 24 hour a day worry. I guess the ones who disagree just think it looks good, but really doesnt.
If you are active and you doent have a disturbingly misshaped melon, shave it off. Its so much easier and less money in the long run.
Just my two cents.

linkage

Reaction score
Hey trapsource....

Thanks for the thoughts....great comments....

Just curious -- are you still wearing one or have shaved it off already? Also, did you use one of the national chains (i.e. Hair Club?).

Also, most of the styles i see are longer-hair. Is it possible to have shorter-hair style that looks good? I have been wearing my hair short forever and one sure sign that people can tell is sundenly having thick long hair...

I feel like I might want to give it a try, if it doesn't work, then I will just shave it off....as long as it doesn't cost over $1,000

trapsource

Reaction score
No problem. I got some translpants done so I did away with the system. Thank god. I used a bigger chain company but to save money alot buy them online and do the work themselves.
Im pretty sure you can have it short. Probably any style you want these days. Mine was longer so I dont know if a shorter style is harder to maintain.
The cost is alot. Companies can charge 500-2000 for a system and 50 to 100 dollars for a maitinence appt. The system lasts about six months( before the hair starts to dry out and look ratty) and about 8 maintinence appts a year......Can be about 3-5 grand a year. Times that by 15 years .
Thats why guys opt to find other ways to cut costs. Ive never done the work on the system myself but it doesnt seem too hard at all.
And the big companies dont do better work than the small ones. the systems can vary in quality but the work is all the same. Simple and do it yourself.
If you go for it, its great because your hairloss problem is thwarted instantly. But in the long run the maitinence and worry were way to much for me. Youll know what I mean. But for you it might not be such a hassle like it was for me.

linkage

Reaction score
Hair Club???

I went to Hair Club last Saturday.

They said I should go for transplant, although I don't that will work for me -- and propecia/rogaine has stopped working for ma. Also, I am continuing to recede at hairline and temple. Plus I don't have thick hair in the back/side.

Anyway, they ask for for deposite for $500 for which they will return if I decide not to do once I see the doctor. They also quote me around $1,800 for the system (though I didn't ask for details about maintenance, etc.)

I know I read a lot of bad things about HCM on this forum. Anyone ever had 'decent/good' experience at all. Besides Farrell and HCM, are there other 'chain' type places I can check out....???

Thanks...Also..I don't know why but I can't run search on Hair Club as two sperate words...it always error out....

s.a.f

Reaction score
Avoid these chain type places! :wink:

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
There are a handfull of good stylists out there who will give you good looking hair and maintenance at a decent price, if you want to try hairpieces.

If you are lucky, you are near one of them.

Where abouts do you live, I can give you some names if I know your location.

trapsource

Reaction score
1800 for the system can probably include maintinence for the year. All companies do it different but thats pretty pricey. Like I said the more active you are the hairpiece wont look as good as when you first get it. There isnt the oil from your scalp to condition the hair, so it eventually dries out. You might want a system every four months so it looks better. The "hair clubs " dont tell you this , figuring once all is said and done and you have the system on, youll have no choice but to pay extra to look perfect. And why not? Obviously if youre there in the first place then they know your looks are a priority and money, although tight, will be no option.
I would research smaller places or at least buy the systems online. Im sure a few guys here have done that and could steer you in the right direction. It could save you thousands and thousands of dollars in the long run.

linkage

Reaction score
All...thanks for the reply...you guys are great!!

MichiganBaldy -- I live in the Bay area (San Francisco). What are the salons that you recommend? How did you find out about them anyway??

Also, how can I buy the CD that you create about wearing hair system?

Fortunately, I can afford to spend a bit. So, $200-300 per month for maintance, glue, tape, and including the average cost of replacement system is not an issue for me.

My concern at this point are:
1) I am doubting if it will work on me. I am of Asian ethnic and I just havn't seen pictures of Asian guys with system on. I think the issue with asian hair is that the hair shaft is very straight (which I think makes it harder to conceal the joint where system meets real hair. Also, my dad is like a Norwood 6 with pretty thin hair in the back. I am concern that as my hair loss progress, the system would not look real ( I have decent hair in the back/side now since I am on finasteride, but it's slowing losing I think).

2) I travel abroad for work quite a bit and often for several weeks. How can I get my hair serviced abroad? Or evatually I would be able to do that on my own??

3) If I decide to go with hair club or whatever salon, would that mean that I can only get it serviced at hair club?

4) My current strategy is to go to a chain place to get my first...I don't think I can go to hair direct and do it all on my own at this point. I tried but it's too confusing/complicated...plus, I won't know how to do the first 'cut-in'. However, after knowing how it's done, I will consider DIY option. Is this a good way to go??

Thanks a lot for all you help!!!!!!!

trapsource

Reaction score
If you go away for weeks at a time, the best thing is to get your system services just before you leave. The intervals between servicing does not have to be exact, but it can lase 6-8 weeks. But for piece of mind you can tighten the attachment and do the small stuff yourself
I think asian hair woould look more natural because it is straight. In wavy hair youd have to match the exact curl. And also the colour is probably black with i figure it would be easier to match. Its all in the style you want. Alot of guys are so blown away by the sight of hair on their head the opt for the really thick look, which can be detecable.
Going with a chain is a good idea at first, if you dont mind the cost. The trick is to be comfortable with your stylist. A place might charge 200 a month which inclues 2 systems a year aplus all the maintinence. Try that until you get the hang of it

hairissuesnCA

Reaction score
hey linkage,

You do not have to go to the large chains. Go to a reputable hair replacement salon in your area and get a template made, and then send to Coolpiece.com, or Toplace.com. Also talk to the stylist about your concerns with density, etc, but I seriously do not think that it will be an issue, since straighter, darker hair will be easier to match. Go with a lighter density at first (75% on top??). Maybe order two slightly differing units if you have the $$. I ordered mine at Coolpiece ($300). Have been wearing for the first time for three weeks now. Don't get me wrong, there are some small issues...I have already ordered the second one last week...I lowered the density on top to 80% from 90% and made the hair more curly, since my natural hair used to be fairly curly. The biggest issue I have besides a little too much density on top, is a slight color matching with the hair (it seems to have a slightest reddish tint compared to my black hair) and the lace color is slightly darker than my real scalp. The color mismatch can be resolved with applying product to my hair, and I have made sure to resolve the lace color issue with my next piece. Let me know if you have any further Q's since I can probably give you the best perspective of a newbie...

Oh yeah...most importantly, make sure you go to a hair system stylist who is familiar with cutting younger, trendier styles...maybe visit a few shops first with multiple stylists?? The stylist I went to (only one in that particular salon) cuts mostly for older gentlemen I think, and thus gave me the parted, Marv Albert look.

linkage

Reaction score
Hey...thanks a lot..I will definitely have a lot of questions....

But the first and big one is ....how do I find other hair piece salon since they don't advertise nationallly (or even on the web/google)? Is there a website that has that...?

Also, even if I find one, how do I know if it's good/reliable?

I live in San Francisco/Bay area....if you know if one you can recommend, I would really appreciate it...

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont have anyone in tha area on my list, all I have for California is-

Connie, Imaging International
11271 National Boulevard, West LA

F&T Salon (323) 668-1014
3165 1/2 Los Feliz Blvd, Atwater Village
(extremely highly recommended)

Alicia in Anaheim 1811 W. Katella Ave., just west of Disneyland. number is 714-491-9218.

hairissuesnCA

Reaction score
linkage,

Good question. Go to toplace.com. On leftside click on "tips" then click on "list of barbers..." on left. From a quick scan, I noticed one in san fran. and one in san jose. I would def. check out both or call at least before going with your questions.

hairissuesnCA

Reaction score
oh yeah, probably a few pics of the desired style, or younger pics when you had more hair would be helpful to the stylist. i forgot to bring these...

linkage

Reaction score
hairissuesnCA and MBaldy -- thanks again for the quick reply...

Thanks for all the help. I checked out one salon in SF. I think I am going to try it. They say they will charge $700 for first one plus cutting in. If I like it, then I can think about doing a 'program'. It's quite cheaper than Hair Club.

It's called Peggy Tom & Associates. She seems quite nice and knowledgeable. A lot of hairpieces in the salon. Have you guys heard anything about this place?????

Anyway, so we will see...if it looks like crap, I will shave my head ;-)

A few more question hoping you guys could answer:

1) How often do you keep you piece b4 tossing it out?
2) How often do you get hair cut? Wouldn't it look funny if the hair on top of the head stays the same length but the side/back grows so long? Ideally I would like to get it cut every two weeks or something since my hair grows fast but that can get expensive going to the salon. Do you have any suggestions?
3) I would like to have very short-hair style (similar to M Baldy). Any suggestions/things I should look out for?

4) Realistically, is this going to work for someone outdoor/active? I do scuba dive (though I might need to give it up for this). But that's not often so i can live with that. But can I go to gym 3-4 times a week, run outside every other day(since I live in California), go hiking on the weekend, go out dancing at club, etc? I sweat a lot too and I am concern the glue is not going to hold. I don't mind changing the system a bit more frequently as long as it looks good and natural.....

5) finally, have you guys seen pix of Asian guys wearing a system somewhere? If so, let me know. If I do mine, I would definitely post my pictures....

Thanks!!!!

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Linkage

I think Chinese men are traditionally a bit more coy about using any kind of cosmetic aid to help their looks, so the marketing hasn't been targeted at them specifically. Even in Hong Kong most of the ads for hair systems feature western men.

If anything, I think Chinese guys have it easier as wearers than most westerners, for several reasons. First, their hair has a uniform colour and curl (ie none), so blending is easier. Second, most Chinese guys (whether bald or otherwise) wear a style which falls forward at the front, so they are not exposing their hairline much. That makes for easy hairpiece maintenance. Thirdly (and this may just be a Hong Kong/China thing) it is quite common and acceptable for men to dye their hair, and you often see men with real hair who have a slight reddish tinge to it as the dye breaks down. The dreaded red tinge is one of the most difficult issues for a dark-haired hairpiece wearer in the West to deal with - when the colour of your hair bleaches slightly and no longer exactly matches your fringe hair.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Noah

Last edited:

linkage

Reaction score
Hey Noah...

Thanks a lot...it's great to hear from an Asian guy....

- How long have you been wearing one? What are some of the issues -- do you have issues when it gets hot and sweaty in Hong Kong duirng summer?

- Do you have particular websites of Hair system salon in Hong Kong I can take a look at - or any Asian hair salons for that matter. I tried searching Singapore and Japan but turned up with nothing -- this is really surprising, especially for Japan, given it's such a big market. I really want to see what kind of style and/or before and after photo to get a better sense....

- This may be a bit personal...but do you mind sharing your b/4 and after. You can entire blackout your face/eye area. I just want to see the style and how realistic it looks.

- Finally, how long does your system last before it turns redish?

Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noah

Reaction score
Linkage

There really aren't that many hair replacement websites catering for Asian/Chinese men. I think that is just a reflection of the general coyness about hair systems in this part of the world (despite the fact that 99.9% of them are manufactured just across the border). The most high profile providers in Hong Kong are Svenson and AHS, but their websites are not geared specifically to Asians. The small places, of which there are quite a few, don't have websites. However, here is one in Singapore which you could look at - http://www.aremyhair.com - it is geared towards Asian men, and even has a minor celebrity, Yao Wen Long, endorsing their products.

Feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

Last edited: