help me i cant use minoxidil any more. pics inside

rusty_y2k2

Established Member
Reaction score
[quote="barcafan]

I thought sexual sides were mainly from estrogen?[/quote]

mmm.... not really. Most steroids and prohormones cause shutdown whereby the body stops or drastically reduces it's own production of testosterone due to the huge levels artificially introduced and floating around the body (hence the notorious ball shrinkage). Oestrogen is upped due to the high levels of testosterone, then when they come off cycle they are suddenly hit with oestrogen dominance, and subsequently undertake post cycle therapy (pct) which involves the use of SERMs and/or other means of ameliorating oestrogen levels while usually taking something to boost the body's own production of testosterone, thus hopefully restoring normal testosterone production levels.

The libido crash is usually associated with the ending of the cycle: with the shutdown testosterone production and no more exogenous test, levels in the body hit rock bottom. Cortisol and other hormones also go all out of whack which doesn't help.

G

i got the same side effects from minoxidil like you did.Facial swelling is the worst.I dont know aht product i should use to fill in minoxidil`s shoes.

G

DoctorHouse said:
Try Revivogen with Proxiphen-n( does not have minoxidil) and Nano shampoo. They seem to work best with diffuse thinning.
Are you sure Proxiphen-n works? I havent heard anything good about any of proctors stuff.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Davidoff, I am using his products and they help me alot. His products are really for people who feel minoxidil or Propecia is not helping significantly. Remember how you felt about jewish people at first. You have to give them a fair try. Same thing with this situation. Give it a try and see if it helps. If after about 6 months, nothing is changing then don't use it anymore.

Rusty, how is the nanominoxil fms going for you?

saucemcbrolock

Established Member
Reaction score
Are there any products that will clean make my scalp healthy again for the damage i have alread done. I would like to clean the dht out from the times I had excess if this is possible.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
saucemcbrolock said:
Are there any products that will clean make my scalp healthy again for the damage i have alread done. I would like to clean the dht out from the times I had excess if this is possible.

you are so misinformed on a lot of stuff....we really cant give you all the info in this thread...your gonan have to stick around and read these forums. Better yet you should just go to the main page... hairlosstalk.com and start reading there, that will give you a solid base of knowledge.

Just to let you know the only PROVEN treatments are propecia and minoxidil....the rest is just on peoples experiences and what not. Personally, if you really want to keep your hair, your best bet is to jump on propecia and use nizoral a few times a week. Other helpful shampoos are a piroctone olamine shampoo (the body shop sells one) and dr. proctors nano shampoo.

Good luck.

saucemcbrolock

Established Member
Reaction score
sorry that last post didnt make much scence when I went back and read it. Im dont want to use propecia right now because im dealing with other hormonal issues and waiting to get blood work done. Im curious if there is way to cleanse my scalp of past damage I have done.

For example lets say some one is now on propecia and has minimized excess dht, will nizerol or time clean out the scalp from past dht.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
saucemcbrolock said:
sorry that last post didnt make much scence when I went back and read it. Im dont want to use propecia right now because im dealing with other hormonal issues and waiting to get blood work done. Im curious if there is way to cleanse my scalp of past damage I have done.

For example lets say some one is now on propecia and has minimized excess dht, will nizerol or time clean out the scalp from past dht.

where did you get this "cleanse your scalp of dht"
your body will continually produce dht...there was a surge of T and DHT when you took the roids but now that you are off you are back to your baseline dht levels...there is no cleansing b/c your body will continue to produce it no matter what.

shampoos wont really help me...they are just complimentary treatments and they are easy to use since you have to shampoo anyway.

saucemcbrolock

Established Member
Reaction score
well i didnt loose hair intill i started to use large amounts of testosterone, and now im no longer doing that. I was wondering if my scalp would ceanse it self or if nizerol would help my scalp recover from the excess dht i had at that time. This is assuming that i only have problems with balding and dht when im using excess amounts of testosterone. so hypothetically if dht was under controll would nizerol or time allow my follicles to grow. i cant grow pretty decent hair with minoxidil but it bloates me and gives me wrinkles and i was on juice at the time, so im wondering if i no longer am on juice could time and nizerol allow the the hair to grow back naturally that i would usually need minoxidil to grow back.? thanks

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
DHT doesnt hang around that long - it has a short halflife at least in comparison to the months you have been off the roids. So there is no need to cleanse the scalp of it. However....nobody knows for certain at this stage but it is possible/probable that the surge in DHT damaged the follicles and/or made them more sensitive to your own natural levels of dht/test and so now you have a bit of a problem (your first pics look awesome btw - its only the last one where there is some evidence of what you are talking about).
If you cant take finasteride/dutasteride what have you things are more difficult (I am kind of in the same boat so I wont try and get you to jump on them). I know what you say about minoxidil bloating your face but....i think it is definitely worth trying again. Cos your hair looked fine in those first pics. This time take photos of your face before minoxidil and try your hardest to be objective as to how much bloating there is after you have used for awhile - it might be acceptable/not as bad as you thought. Secondly use nizoral shampoo about as much as you can stand. 3 times a week/every other day leave on scalp for 5 mins before washing off is standard. I suspect every day might actually be a very effective maintenance type regime but that may be going overboard a little. Since your hair is short in shouldnt get too dried out. This should make your scalp environment less androgenic and a more friendly place to let minoxidil do its thing.
If all else fails I think you could pull off the shaved look very well but if you can stick the min and the nizoral then you will have at least slowed things down i am sure.
Can also sympathise with some of your motivations - have had a pretty crappy libido for much of my 20s with finasteride/dutasteride and am half inclined to just shave it all off find some juice and hopefully look like im in my forty feel like i am in my early 20s - atm it skews more the other way round.
hh

saucemcbrolock

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank for understanding Howard and also thank you for the imformative post. Some people dont understand that its not that I amm shallow and need to be huge, I have a sh*t sex drive and felt good for the first time in my life and chased that feeling for a few years. For some reason Ive had a feminine body fat distribution despite my great eating habits and exercise. I also had a shitty libido and mental state, much like those that experience sides from propecia, except my testosterone levels were in the normal range. so right now propecia is out of the question and would greatly affect my mental state right now. I imagine my testosterone levels are crap now and I wasnt loosing hair before I started to juice so im not sure propecia would so much any way.

I got a little obsessed with using minoxidil with Rentin A and my face was very bloated and puffy, I started to develop lines across my forhead that were probaly worse than any one has seen on this site before. I have discontinued the minoxidil for a few months and the wrinkles and lines are now going away. I hope they totally go away because it was looking very odd at my age of 25, especially when i was looking normal a few months before.

I doubt my hair will every be full grow long again but I have spaces of missing hair all over my head. I also have a scaly looking scalp when looked at close under the light. Some bald patches actually have a film of dead skin on them. However im not really smooth bald in many places in the way a regular older man would bald, its more like I can see the unhealthy follicle. I noticed from that my scalp seems harder and sunken in as apposed to looking thick like it did when i was young and shaved my head, and i hope i dont develop one of those hard scarred up scalps when i get old.

so to top it off a few weeks ago i naired my head to see if I could take off the top layer of skin after reading an article about dermabrasion. It was a stupid idea and now its like all the hair that I had from minoxidil is gone and i have missing chunks all over my head so ive been shaving it all the way down with a buzzer. I know if I start to use minoxidil again pretty much my whole head will be covered except the crown but i cant damage my face any more, at least intill the wrinkles totally go away.

So as of now im washing with nizerol 1% every day and hoping that my follicles that still seem to grow with minoxidil but just a little miniaturized, will grow with out it over time. Especially since my scalp skin looks unhealthy and unsmooth unlike a normal older bald man. So i hope my scalp is resilient enought at 25 years old to fix it self although im sure the crown will stay bald because I beleive it was suppost to bald naturally.

saucemcbrolock

Established Member
Reaction score
with out even looking I can feel exactly where my crown is harder than the rest of the skin in a tear drop shape and its exactly where I am pretty bald now. my scalp just looks like it has dead skin all over it thou, Regardless of my hair comming back i hope my scalp at least goes back to looking normal.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
saucemcbrolock said:
Thank for understanding Howard and also thank you for the imformative post. Some people dont understand that its not that I amm shallow and need to be huge, I have a s*** sex drive and felt good for the first time in my life and chased that feeling for a few years. For some reason Ive had a feminine body fat distribution despite my great eating habits and exercise. I also had a shitty libido and mental state, much like those that experience sides from propecia, except my testosterone levels were in the normal range. so right now propecia is out of the question and would greatly affect my mental state right now. I imagine my testosterone levels are crap now and I wasnt loosing hair before I started to juice so im not sure propecia would so much any way.

No worries man - I can relate to quite a few of your concerns. finasteride screws me up sexually something awful. Nevertheless I persisted for a number of years (there were few if any sides in the beginning) cos there was no way I was ready to face losing it. I think a lot of people around here tend towards depression and obsessing over these things though studies have shown that most men do care about hair loss at least to some extent and a surprising ammount are generally quite upset by it. Sometimes the idea of just buzzing it all off and forgetting about it does seem attractive though....

I got a little obsessed with using minoxidil with Rentin A and my face was very bloated and puffy, I started to develop lines across my forhead that were probaly worse than any one has seen on this site before. I have discontinued the minoxidil for a few months and the wrinkles and lines are now going away. I hope they totally go away because it was looking very odd at my age of 25, especially when i was looking normal a few months before.

Hmmm....define obsessed with minoxidil? How much were you using a day? A lot more than normal? I think its not impossible that minoxidil could cause those sides given that it does inhibit collagen production but I think it also pays to be a bit suspicious since it was such a potent weapon for you. Get some before and after photos (same/similar lighting conditions are very important) if at all possible and compare as best you can because the mind can fool you when you are really looking into this stuff more than you should. You might find that its not half as bad as you think or be hard pressed to find the difference. On the other hand I have to accept that if you have considered this and are still sure that minoxidil was having that effect that this is indeed the case. Still I think minoxidil without retin-a is worth a shot. Or maybe save the retin-a for your face if possible - as a collagen promoter it might reverse/impede whatever damage minoxidil may be doing

I doubt my hair will every be full grow long again but I have spaces of missing hair all over my head. I also have a scaly looking scalp when looked at close under the light. Some bald patches actually have a film of dead skin on them. However im not really smooth bald in many places in the way a regular older man would bald, its more like I can see the unhealthy follicle. I noticed from that my scalp seems harder and sunken in as apposed to looking thick like it did when i was young and shaved my head, and i hope i dont develop one of those hard scarred up scalps when i get old.

so to top it off a few weeks ago i naired my head to see if I could take off the top layer of skin after reading an article about dermabrasion. It was a stupid idea and now its like all the hair that I had from minoxidil is gone and i have missing chunks all over my head so ive been shaving it all the way down with a buzzer. I know if I start to use minoxidil again pretty much my whole head will be covered except the crown but i cant damage my face any more, at least intill the wrinkles totally go away.

So as of now im washing with nizerol 1% every day and hoping that my follicles that still seem to grow with minoxidil but just a little miniaturized, will grow with out it over time. Especially since my scalp skin looks unhealthy and unsmooth unlike a normal older bald man. So i hope my scalp is resilient enought at 25 years old to fix it self although im sure the crown will stay bald because I beleive it was suppost to bald naturally.

Your scalp should normalise out in terms of the skin. I dont think you have done anything too crazy too it. I dont think copper peptides are that useful - I havent really seen any great studies about them. Someone else might be able to correct me if I am wrong. Maybe ask in the experimental treatment section. At any rate best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
hh

saucemcbrolock

Established Member
Reaction score
I was using like 1 bottle of dr lee's minoxidil and rentin A a week or maybe less. Im 100% sure it created wrinkles, the bloating was extreme. I might consider using minoxidil foam again but only if my forhead returns 100 percent to normal, its more than half way back to normal. thanks for the help