Help!!! Facing Dilemma Between Opting For Minoxidil And Hair System

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello to all! I have been lurking here for a few months and have gained a lot of valuable information regarding Hair systems and hair treatments! I will come right to the point. Just like most of the guys, I have been losing hairs when I was 19, Now I am 22 and a half. I had no awareness of hair treatments then, so I let the fate decide for me and didn't opt for any treatments. But now at the age of 22 when I started to see bald spots on my crown area, I started freaking out and went to a Hair Club.

After the initial checkup, they declared that I am the victim of genetic hair loss. I already knew about hair systems and was willing to get one so I asked them for hair system but the Doctor was a nice fella and he told me that I should try to work on the hairs I have left and that if I use treatment like minoxidil and finasteride along with PRP, I would be able to get some hairs back and would stop the hair loss.

But, I clearly told him that I won't use finasteride (Due to the sides) , so he said I should then use minoxidil and prp along with cupping at the scalp to reduce DHT in that area.

I asked him for a hair system but he said you should try the treatments first because hair system is a lot of maintenance and can be quite cumbersome. He said that I would need 3 hair systems per year and that would cost me around $1100 per year but on the other hand the treatment that he has proposed will only cost $750 per year.

Now I am facing this dilemma where I have the route of treatment which I don't know will work and on the other hand, I can get a hair system which would be more expensive and a lot of maintenance (which I don't mind if it is weekly).

So I am asking for advice from you guys, what should I DO? I can spend on hair system if it is the right choice but I want to know if my current condition can get better with the treatments. Please respond to my post and help a balding brother out. I am attaching the pictures of my current situation, have a look please. Thanks

These are the pics when hair is combed to the side and is completely dry. (Camera flash is on)
42219615_282325889268735_1903690760134328320_n.jpg 42236175_307434420046232_3021116503228416000_n.jpg

These are the pics after the shower so the hair is wet. (Camera flash is on)
42210163_633975290336728_7830479250447663104_n.jpg 42374587_2350612004965702_1730063739371126784_n.jpg

This is my hairline which used to be straight.
42276743_735231723485817_6561232684092227584_n.jpg

Looking for your valuable responses. Thanks

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's easy to say that cost should not be a factor, and you make the choice that best suits your situation. The drugs "may" restore some of what you have lost, but it's not a guarantee. "Cupping" to reduce DHT sounds like yet another ridiculous way to part you from your money, as most of the "remedies", they just don't work if they did... we would not really need this section of the forum, would we?

You have options. You can do nothing, go bald, and spend your money on important things, like college tuition or a house payment.

You can shave your head, and spend $1/month at the dollar shave club (I hear their stuff is great), or buy clippers, and buzz your head once a week.

You can spend thousands of dollars on meds, and quack treatments that may or not give results, but probably NOT what you expect, and you will need to be on them, forever. You go off them, all the new hair sheds, all of it.

Hair system. First of all, avoid HCFM like the plague, you will get an inferior product for lots of $$$.

You can get an undetectable, custom hair system, for about $200 - $800, depending on the route you go. Depending on the base (based on your lifestyle), you could get away with 3-4 units a year, or less, if you are careful. That's French lace, other bases could be less. Add to that the cost of products (adhesive, remover, cleaner, etc), you add another couple of hundred dollars. Once you are up and running, if you choose DIY, you could get away with as little as $500-$700 a year (+ haircuts).

If you go the hair system route, there are NO medical side effects, and after the wait for the initial lead time (8-12 weeks, depending on source), you have a full head of hair.

HairSystemGuy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I asked him for a hair system but he said you should try the treatments first because hair system is a lot of maintenance and can be quite cumbersome. He said that I would need 3 hair systems per year and that would cost me around $1100 per year but on the other hand the treatment that he has proposed will only cost $750 per year

You can do it all yourself if you put your mind to it. If you have a trusted friend, partner of family you can watch videos (there's tons) on how to: make a template, source the piece, and then look after and clean it.

Only thing you will need to do then is get it cut. It's not something I'd do personally as I have the funds but if I didn't, it's certainly something I'd consider doing.

Noah

Reaction score
Obviously you are posting on the hair system board here, so most of us have decided hair systems are the better solution, and quite a few of us have tried meds before doing so. You can expect to get a positive view of hair systems here, and you would no doubt get the opposite bias if you posted on the meds forum. Maybe the fact you chose to post here tells you something about the way your mind is moving.

I am always wary of claiming too much for hair systems, because they are not for everyone. What I would say is this: if you choose wisely and conservatively, you can get a great undetectable result which from an appearance point of view is the next best thing to having your natural hair back (or even better). The reason why some people don't take to hair systems is hardly ever the look; if is nearly always the psychology of wearing a prosthetic - will people be able to tell, will I be laughed at, will I seem feminised?

The bottom line, which I don't think anyone would really dispute, is this. Meds may allow you to retain the hair you have, but they hardly ever regrow the hair you have lost. With a system you can regain the appearance of a full head of hair, and you may love it of you may not, but if you don't, you haven't lost very much - it is pretty cheap, completely painless and wholly reversible. So if your hairloss bothers you it's definitely worth investigating a system.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would at least try the drug route, as good as systems are nothing can really replace your own hair psychologically and visually. Refusing to take finasteride definitely makes it harder to succeed, but you still got a good amount of hair so maybe it will work.

Btw what is cupping

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's easy to say that cost should not be a factor, and you make the choice that best suits your situation. The drugs "may" restore some of what you have lost, but it's not a guarantee. "Cupping" to reduce DHT sounds like yet another ridiculous way to part you from your money, as most of the "remedies", they just don't work if they did... we would not really need this section of the forum, would we?

You have options. You can do nothing, go bald, and spend your money on important things, like college tuition or a house payment.

You can shave your head, and spend $1/month at the dollar shave club (I hear their stuff is great), or buy clippers, and buzz your head once a week.

You can spend thousands of dollars on meds, and quack treatments that may or not give results, but probably NOT what you expect, and you will need to be on them, forever. You go off them, all the new hair sheds, all of it.

Hair system. First of all, avoid HCFM like the plague, you will get an inferior product for lots of $$$.

You can get an undetectable, custom hair system, for about $200 - $800, depending on the route you go. Depending on the base (based on your lifestyle), you could get away with 3-4 units a year, or less, if you are careful. That's French lace, other bases could be less. Add to that the cost of products (adhesive, remover, cleaner, etc), you add another couple of hundred dollars. Once you are up and running, if you choose DIY, you could get away with as little as $500-$700 a year (+ haircuts).

If you go the hair system route, there are NO medical side effects, and after the wait for the initial lead time (8-12 weeks, depending on source), you have a full head of hair.

Thanks for the reply man. I have the same doubts about cupping, if it were to work, people would've mentioned it more on the internet but I cannot see any post about it on any forum. I agree with everything you have said, and if I go for a hair system, which is very likely, I would go to the hair club for first few sessions and once I get the hang of it, i'll do everything by myself. I also have doubts about the adhesives as I have very oily scalp but I sweat normally, your take on this issue?

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
Obviously you are posting on the hair system board here, so most of us have decided hair systems are the better solution, and quite a few of us have tried meds before doing so. You can expect to get a positive view of hair systems here, and you would no doubt get the opposite bias if you posted on the meds forum. Maybe the fact you chose to post here tells you something about the way your mind is moving.

I am always wary of claiming too much for hair systems, because they are not for everyone. What I would say is this: if you choose wisely and conservatively, you can get a great undetectable result which from an appearance point of view is the next best thing to having your natural hair back (or even better). The reason why some people don't take to hair systems is hardly ever the look; if is nearly always the psychology of wearing a prosthetic - will people be able to tell, will I be laughed at, will I seem feminised?

The bottom line, which I don't think anyone would really dispute, is this. Meds may allow you to retain the hair you have, but they hardly ever regrow the hair you have lost. With a system you can regain the appearance of a full head of hair, and you may love it of you may not, but if you don't, you haven't lost very much - it is pretty cheap, completely painless and wholly reversible. So if your hairloss bothers you it's definitely worth investigating a system.

Firstly, thank you, Noah, for taking some time to address my issue. You are 100% right, somewhere in my mind I want a hair system and perhaps I want others to tell me that I should get one, maybe this post is all about that. I have no problem with a hair system, in fact, I think guys who wear it have more courage than those who shave their heads as they just give up. But, on the other hand, I am confused about the treatment, should I take it or should I not? I want the hair that I had 2 years ago, very good hairline and very thick crown, if I cannot get that with the treatment (without finasteride) then I think hair system is the way to go. What would you suggest me? I read somewhere that you also tried meds, what made you switch to hair systems?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair club is probably your worst choice. They will try and suck you in for a long term contract, and their products are old technology, and tend to be quite inferior. They also don't lend to the DIYer since you go to them for maintenance.

Don't just take my word for it, lots of information online about how bad they are.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
I want the hair that I had 2 years ago, very good hairline and very thick crown, if I cannot get that with the treatment (without finasteride) then I think hair system is the way to go
You won't get that hair back with minoxidil and even if you did it wouldn't last long. Hair systems are good and I'm grateful that they exist but they can't compare with your own natural hair, just like @disfiguredyoungman said. The opportunity to use a system will always be there while the opportunity to use finasteride and save a good amount of hair won't. However, if you're completely sure you'll never use finasteride the IMO there's no reason to wait.

Noah

Reaction score
Firstly, thank you, Noah, for taking some time to address my issue. You are 100% right, somewhere in my mind I want a hair system and perhaps I want others to tell me that I should get one, maybe this post is all about that. I have no problem with a hair system, in fact, I think guys who wear it have more courage than those who shave their heads as they just give up. But, on the other hand, I am confused about the treatment, should I take it or should I not? I want the hair that I had 2 years ago, very good hairline and very thick crown, if I cannot get that with the treatment (without finasteride) then I think hair system is the way to go. What would you suggest me? I read somewhere that you also tried meds, what made you switch to hair systems?

Yes, I tried finasteride and within 6 weeks I had the dreaded side effects - brewer's droop and aching balls - which scared the bejasus out of me, particularly since they took over a month to go after I stopped the meds. My view for what it is worth (probably not very much) is you should ride both horses. Take the minoxidil, but steer clear of finasteride, keep a cautious look out for side effects, and if you start to get them, come off immediately. Be conscious that you are toying around with your endocrine system - the key ingredients of your masculinity - so it is inherently a risky thing to do. Please note that I am not a doctor and my opinions on the subject are the blind leading the blind.

But also investigate hair systems, so that you have a fall back position.

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair club is probably your worst choice. They will try and suck you in for a long term contract, and their products are old technology, and tend to be quite inferior. They also don't lend to the DIYer since you go to them for maintenance.

Don't just take my word for it, lots of information online about how bad they are.

I get it, and you are right, hair club type of salons rip people off. But the one where I went, they told me that I don't have to come again for maintenance as they will give me a training of 4 to 5 hours which will help me do it all at home. Still, I agree with what you have said about their products, I have seen other people complaining about the system they got from hair clubs so I may opt for ordering a system online. Anyways, I am thankful that I have you guys to point me in the right direction. Thank you so much man, BTW how's day to day life with a system? do you have to fix little edges that come off on daily basis? I concerned about my oily scalp as it may create problem with adhesive but again the doctor said that oily scalp and dandruff won't be an issue. I talked to you in another post where you told me you have an oily scalp, so hows it going for you?

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I tried finasteride and within 6 weeks I had the dreaded side effects - brewer's droop and aching balls - which scared the bejasus out of me, particularly since they took over a month to go after I stopped the meds. My view for what it is worth (probably not very much) is you should ride both horses. Take the minoxidil, but steer clear of finasteride, keep a cautious look out for side effects, and if you start to get them, come off immediately. Be conscious that you are toying around with your endocrine system - the key ingredients of your masculinity - so it is inherently a risky thing to do. Please note that I am not a doctor and my opinions on the subject are the blind leading the blind.

But also investigate hair systems, so that you have a fall back position.

You have been a big help in my decision, I have decided to get a system. I consulted with my brother who is a doctor and he said don't go for medicines as, without finasteride, it won't make much difference, especially in a long term. So I have decided to get a hair system after a few months. Thank you for your detailed responses man.

Noah

Reaction score
Good luck man. This is a good place to get a disinterested view of systems now, with 5 or 6 young guys who wear posting regularly, so come back if you need more info or help.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I get it, and you are right, hair club type of salons rip people off. But the one where I went, they told me that I don't have to come again for maintenance as they will give me a training of 4 to 5 hours which will help me do it all at home. Still, I agree with what you have said about their products, I have seen other people complaining about the system they got from hair clubs so I may opt for ordering a system online. Anyways, I am thankful that I have you guys to point me in the right direction. Thank you so much man, BTW how's day to day life with a system? do you have to fix little edges that come off on daily basis? I concerned about my oily scalp as it may create problem with adhesive but again the doctor said that oily scalp and dandruff won't be an issue. I talked to you in another post where you told me you have an oily scalp, so hows it going for you?

My suggestion would be to find another salon option that is NOT HCM. I used a company that gave me (and continues) to give me a lot of support. That is crucial in helping you decide what is the right system for you. There are many many things to consider. Base, hair density (per region), color matching, curl, hairline shape, plus others. I would never have been able to figure this out by myself.

Once you get the template made and the system combination that works for you, then you can order directly online, or even direct from China (an even less expensive option).

It took me a couple of months to get used to having this on me, part of the issue is that I am in Israel, and it has been really HOT! Over 30º (86ºF). I have oily scalp and perspiration issues, it has taken me a bit of trial and error to find the correct combination of adhesive options. I use "Sunshine, stick-it" tape for the perimeter and front. The hairline itself is attached with Ghostbond XL. I am getting about a week of bond with this combination. My situation is a bit unique and probably is NOT like most people. I have a shaved undercut, so I have no side or back hair to blend with. I also wear my hair UP... so there is some tension on the back of the system, which results in a bit of lift. I usually fix that by sticking on another bit of tape. I also have very long hair, so there are other issues that I have which are unique to my style.

I don't have edges that come up on a daily basis. And if you have a system that is blended all around, that won't really be an issue. Also, if you chose a style in which your hairline is NOT exposed, a small bit of lift, is also not an issue.

My daily routine adds another 3-4 minutes, undo the loose ponytail, spray with leave-in conditioner. brush, and either put up or leave it loose. I find no need to wash my hair during the week, while it's on my head. It doesn't get dirty, sweaty or smelly, and I don't have bio-hair to deal with, either. I just shave my head once a week, when I detach and wash the system.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@James_Adam in my view you have way too much hair to consider a hair system already. I went for years and years on various treatments like Minoxidil, Propecia and then concealers (which gave me another 5 years solid cover and then another 3 or 4 years poor cover). In hindsight I should have gotten a system 3 years earlier but I wanted to avoid the hassle and of course in the UK it's very difficult to find salons nearby that will help out.

A system should be your last resort. Or maybe a hair transplant is. I looked into hair transplants but I didn't have enough donor hair for my coverage and also the success rate for hair transplants is poor, so why go through that surgery.

Personally, I think you have a few years where you can try other treatments and use concealers.

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you get on the minoxdil and hair fibres, you should be able to stretch for a couple years, depends on your future loss tbh .

I did this for many years and finally went to system route a bit less than a yeah ago.