Help. Everywhere In The Uk Is Out Of Stock For Propecia.

Dan07

My Regimen
Reaction score
Last month I tried the usual online pharmacies and everywhere was out of stock. I don't know whether this is Covid-19, Brexit or something else, but I ended up having to get the generic for the first ever time.

I only got a month's supply as I hoped I would be able to find some more, but I'm now down to the last few and it still looks like Propecia is out of stock in the UK?

Jus90

My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys, is there any difference between gENERic Finasteride and Propecia?

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys, is there any difference between gENERic Finasteride and Propecia?

It shouldn't be no, but you never know. Some of the manufacturers use different substances in the manufacturing of the drug but the main substance in it is finasteride, that if you don't take it from some scammer indians or something... Maybe you could get less finasteride than in the brand one but i don't think so, usually these companies are tested and verified before being able to release a drug on the market so i wouldn't worry...

Dan07

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just in case it might help somebody else, I managed to find some from lloydspharmacy, which is one of the biggest UK pharmacies and is also where I have always gotten it from. They didn't have it last month though or a few days ago when I originally posted. And I've just spent the past hour looking at other sites and everywhere else I checked was still out of stock too.

As for the discussion about Propecia vs generic, TomRiddle is right, it shouldn't make a difference.

Some people like me are paying extra just for the peace of mind, or whatever, I guess.

I didn't want to put anybody off the generics or anything.

skyline999

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Last month I tried the usual online pharmacies and everywhere was out of stock. I don't know whether this is Covid-19, Brexit or something else, but I ended up having to get the generic for the first ever time.

I only got a month's supply as I hoped I would be able to find some more, but I'm now down to the last few and it still looks like Propecia is out of stock in the UK?
Donald Trump wanted to keep it for himself.

skyline999

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is a difference between branded and generic, I spoke to one of the manufacturers here as was having sides after switching and they confirmed there may be differences as the inactive ingredients are different even though the active ingredient is the same. Some people may have subtle differences some may not. Everyone is different. Hairloss sucks :D

Soundgarden24

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve had to switch from brand name propecia to generic because Boots are out.

on about week 6 now since the switch and it was going alright but in the past week or so my sex drive has gone up and I’m shedding more. Hopefully nothing to worry about and I’m just experiencing a bad patch

will stick with it, as of today Boots still don’t have brand name in stock...

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm interested to hear how people do on generics because for me finasteride stopped working around the time i started using generic (Activis from Superdrug so I assumed it was legit). However, I had 9 years of Propecia maintenance which seems about what people generally get... I'm on avodart now but it's still in the back of my mind that it could have been the generic that wasn't working. I'm not putting this out there to scare anyone or anything, just adding in my experience

Jus90

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm interested to hear how people do on generics because for me finasteride stopped working around the time i started using generic (Activis from Superdrug so I assumed it was legit). However, I had 9 years of Propecia maintenance which seems about what people generally get... I'm on avodart now but it's still in the back of my mind that it could have been the generic that wasn't working. I'm not putting this out there to scare anyone or anything, just adding in my experience

Avodart? That's a huge jump from Finasteride. Why didn't you try Proscar before jumping to Avodart? How much Avodart are you taking? 0.2, 0.5, 1mg?

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Avodart? That's a huge jump from Finasteride. Why didn't you try Proscar before jumping to Avodart? How much Avodart are you taking? 0.2, 0.5, 1mg?
No way- proscar is no more effective than propecia. Finasteride has a flat dose response- i tried doubling dose to 2mg before swapping. Only avodart is going to work better than 1mg finasteride

Jus90

My Regimen
Reaction score
No way- proscar is no more effective than propecia. Finasteride has a flat dose response- i tried doubling dose to 2mg before swapping. Only avodart is going to work better than 1mg finasteride

WHat do you mean by flart-dose response?

But Proscar is 5mg and that 's already a big move from 1mg.

I'm not sure how much effective Avodart is to Propecia. How they compare ? IS Avodart like lets say, 15mg of Finasteride? (I know ingredient is Duta but I'm jus trying to figure out the difference between them)

CHeers

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride is more effective than finasteride but not by a huge margin, i just got slightly better maintenance at the crown

Soundgarden24

My Regimen
Reaction score

Unfortunately I’m going to have to ride this one out. I wouldn’t say I’ve experienced a perfect ride on Propecia anyway, my scalp itch has never fully went away and the shedding has never stopped, though it lessened.

The generic finasteride I’ve ordered from boots is only a few quid less than the brand name, so I would expect it to work identically to justify the money, but yeah, I’ve noticed a distinct difference in my libido and over the past week or so, shedding has increased albeit only by 10-15%

Do you think it’s just my body adjusting? Same active ingredient but if I’m consuming less because it’s not as potent, or the inactive ingredients are different, perhaps I’ll have to stick with it and build from square 1 again so to speak? When I say square 1, I mean why my genetic subscription runs out, if brand name is back do I switch back or persist with generic?

Last edited:

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately I’m going to have to ride this one out. I wouldn’t say I’ve experienced a perfect ride on Propecia anyway, my scalp itch has never fully went away and the shedding has never stopped, though it lessened.

The generic finasteride I’ve ordered from boots is only a few quid less than the brand name, so I would expect it to work identically to justify the money, but yeah, I’ve noticed a distinct difference in my libido and over the past week or so, shedding has increased albeit only by 10-15%

Do you think it’s just my body adjusting? Same active ingredient but if I’m consuming less because it’s not as potent, or the inactive ingredients are different, perhaps I’ll have to stick with it and build from square 1 again so to speak? When I say square 1, I mean why my genetic subscription runs out, if brand name is back do I switch back or persist with generic?
I think definitely get back on brand name as soon as you can but don't sweat it while only generic is available. It's most likely the same but there's just no way of knowing and for peace of mind it's just easier to stick with brand name. I always wondered whether the inactive ingredients didn't allow the same absorption as those used in the brand name but it could well be that my time of finasteride maintenance was just over and this coincided with my switch to generic. I would say just keep an eye on the shedding and on the density left on your head, mine increased substantially at the point i felt finasteride had stopped working. Report back how you get on in the coming months- it's very useful for those considering using generics to have this kind of information available

Jus90

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride is more effective than finasteride but not by a huge margin, i just got slightly better maintenance at the crown

Do you workout? You could have more serum DHT perhaps that's why ... some people get by with just 0.5mg whilst others Avodart 0.5mg wouldn't even be enough they would need 1mg. SO it all depends on your body i guess

You wourkout often?

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you workout? You could have more serum DHT perhaps that's why ... some people get by with just 0.5mg whilst others Avodart 0.5mg wouldn't even be enough they would need 1mg. SO it all depends on your body i guess

You wourkout often?
No, i don't ever work out. 0.5 daily dutasteride is the most i think it is sensible to take, there is not much benefit in going higher. Adding Ru topically is more effective than increasing avodart dose

Soundgarden24

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think definitely get back on brand name as soon as you can but don't sweat it while only generic is available. It's most likely the same but there's just no way of knowing and for peace of mind it's just easier to stick with brand name. I always wondered whether the inactive ingredients didn't allow the same absorption as those used in the brand name but it could well be that my time of finasteride maintenance was just over and this coincided with my switch to generic. I would say just keep an eye on the shedding and on the density left on your head, mine increased substantially at the point i felt finasteride had stopped working. Report back how you get on in the coming months- it's very useful for those considering using generics to have this kind of information available

I definitely will report back! As it stands, I have 5 weeks left of generic but Propecia is still out of stock - I could have to persist with generic if Propecia is gonna be our of stock for a while.

Also, this morning I experienced yet again a worse than usual shower. Does feel like about 15% more shedding than what I was experiencing using Propecia consistently.

I know I’m repeating myself, but the real giveaway that I know generic is having a different effect on my body is my sex drive/urges are back to what they were pre-Propecia... I’ve noticed it in the last couple of weeks. I don’t want to cringe myself and others out so I’ll leave it there but I definitely feel drastically different in that department!