Help And Advice Please On Whether To Get Tattoo Or Hair Replacement

Swj

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone any help and advice would be so greatly appreciated!
I've been searching around this forum all morning and on the internet. There's so many topics and different stories ... it's really hard to know which is the best option to go for.

I'm 27 I've been balding slowly since I was 13!! I had a awful receding hairline from the age of 14. I used to scruff my hair up when I was a teenager so that would cover the lines. Slowly over time it's just got way too thin and a bald patch at the back now.

Currently I shave it and use fibres. It's ok sometimes. Some days I'm better at applying it than others but it's not ideal. Everytime I sleep I try sleeping so I don't budge it. When I'm dating someone I'm so embarrassed if I wake up the next morning and half has rubbed off on the pillow. It's embarrassing lol.

Help and advice!! I don't know what Togo for... I wouldn't be able to afford a hair transplant right now but I'm either looking at a hair system that can be glued on or the tattoo. What' do you guys think is best and how much does it cost? That's also what I'm worried about!! Everything I've found online they don't say prices and make u pay for a consultation which I don't want to pay when I'm just enquiring about it. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
try to relax. there are plenty of options. could you post some pics of your hair to help us make an assessment?

Swj

My Regimen
Reaction score
try to relax. there are plenty of options. could you post some pics of your hair to help us make an assessment?

Hi thank you for your reply!! Yeah this is my hair without any fibres on it :(

Attachments

• IMG_8906.jpg
    IMG_8906.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_8907.jpg
    IMG_8907.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 329

Swj

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi thank you for your reply!! Yeah this is my hair without any fibres on it :(

And that's how I do it with the fibres. I can't get the exact hair colour match to my hair lol

Attachments

• IMG_8909.JPG
    IMG_8909.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 318

Noah

Reaction score
It's hard for someone else to advise you on this. The outcomes are completely different, and the question of which suits you is a very personal one.

Hair systems are capable of giving a very good looking result - as good as or even better than your hair before you lost it - but they are a prosthetic which is glued on and has to be taken off periodically. Some people have problems coping with that concept.

Tattoos are less ambitious in terms of the resulting look - you are still basically bald, but the tattoo allows you to appear that it is by choice rather than because of hairloss. But the upside is that the tattoo is part of you - no maintenance required (at least in the medium term), and nothing to come off.

Both of them involve (at least for most users) an element of subterfuge which you don't really want others to know about, and in that aspect there is probably not much to choose between them.

If you do go the tattoo route, do plenty of research and go to the best place you can find. Everyone has seen bad tattoos, or tattoos that have discoloured or become blurry. That would be worse than being bald. In that respect I think there is somewhat more risk of things going wrong with tattoos.

Swj

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply.

I think I want to go for a hair system.
Does anyone know a good company in the U.K.? And how much it costs?

hairibos

My Regimen
Reaction score
from the pics you look like a candidate for
smp (scalp micropigmentation)

i have had it btw

positives

1. only need annual touch up if that
and low maintenance - shave every 1 to
two days, moisturise and use sun cream - easy
2. no ongoing costs
3. no-one has ever said a thing to me ie low to zero chance of discovery even in bed :)
4. can dive and do any sport with zero anxiety compared to i imagine a system
5. easier transition for people you know - your head is shaved already it will look like you just shaved closer not magically gained a full head of hair
6. very very realistic if you go to a decent clinic (i saw 4 smps first - 3 were the staff and 1 client - close up - ie research)
7. lets say you are ever hospitalised - well not sure how you deal with probing drs and nurses if you have a system - but if you remove it you may bump into people you know (if that bothers you)

negatives

1. costs about 3k gbp so you need cash up front (actually some clinics have installment plans)
2. it's a severe look depending on your personality. i do think some people see it as thuggish or even right wing (wearing posher clothes helps) ;)
3. some folks won't get why you have what looks like a full head of hair but you choose
to shave so tight - they may comment
4. works better on some head shapes imo (my head shape isn't great)
5. you don't get lovely locks to comb and look
like you did pre-hairloss
6. it's pretty scary to have a 'permanent' tattoo put on even knowing it can be removed by laser (at cost) - since you can't just change your mind the next day

Last edited:

Mister Goodbar

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started to wear a hair system years ago, and I've never felt good about it. It's fake, you always feel like people will discover that you have it on. The smp solution seems to be great for those who are fine buzzing their hair down. With the hair you have currently, if you got smp, it would feel natural if someone ran their hand across your head. The biggest problem with the smp is that people get hairlines that don't look natural. Get it so you look like you are lightly receding(and not as dense as what most get) and your hairline will look correct for years and years. All those guys who got the straight across hairlines will be going in for laser treatment to fix them. The price of smp is a real burn. When you consider the hours it takes and divide that into the price you pay, well, like everybody else in the hair replacement industry, they are gouging you. The good part is that it will last for many years if you take care of it, and get it done by someone who uses the correct inks. The bottom line is, do your research. Ask anybody wearing a system if they feel good about it. As the price comes down and I save my pennies, I'll be checking into getting smp. Just my 2 cents.

RasmusEK

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey.

I'm 23 and I have about the same amount of hair as you. I got SMP done a year ago, and it looks fairly natural, since I didn't go for a crazy low placed hairline. But it can be pretty hard to get a natural looking result. I don't really think the look fits my head shape though, so I think I'll give a hair system a shot as well, in a couple of months. Luckily my smp hairline was put very high, and the pigments are very light colored so it shouldn't be an issue