Heavy shed from increasing minoxidil dosage; losing ground FAST; need advice

FairHared

Reaction score
Quick History: I have been losing my hair since around August of 2005, I was 18 at the time. I have tried finasteride twice but never gave it a full year.

I have been on minoxidil since around January 2011 and since then, it has kept the loss to a minimum and kept my hair reasonably thick. This past mid-July I decided to increase my minoxidil dosage to get a little more thickness, I noticed my hair was shedding but didn't think too much of it but since a month ago I have lost an amazing amount of ground. I went from being a NW2.5 to 3, easily. I have a crown spot forming and just the top of the head is thinning aggresively in an NW5 pattern. I was just shocked this morning at how much hair I have lost in a month's time and if it keeps up, I will be bald by X-mas.

So is minoxidil's effects just wearing off and I need to give finasteride one last try or should I ride this out for another month?

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've read that an increase or decrease in minoxidil dose can cause a hair shed. I wouldn't add Propeica for now anjd just wait another three months or so to see how this will play out for you. Good luck!

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I would stay on minoxidil. I don't think that the effects ever wear off but just remember minoxidil does not interfere with the balding process. You need Propecia for that. Remember minoxidil is just offsetting your hair growth cycles to sync together so your hair looks thicker and fuller. If you increase the dosage, you will resynchronize your hair cycle again so you may get another shed. I did respond better to twice a day minoxidil versus once per day.

I can't use minoxidil anymore because I get sides from it. It does a good job of thickening things up but I can't tolerate the sides. I have been on and off minoxidil a few times and every time I notice more hairs shedding when I shower when I was using minoxidil. After a few weeks off it, my shedding cycles becomes more normal and I see less hairs shedding in the shower.