Head and Shoulders is bad....

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well at first I was thinking that because H+S is so popular and is used by millions that people were bound to start losing hair at the same time they started using H+S. It would have said it was a conincidence. But, reading those comments and Dr.Rassman's comment it doe's seem like there could be a correlation between the two.

Active ingredient: Pyrithione zinc 1%
Inactive ingredients: water, sodium laureth sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate, cocamide MEA, zinc carbonate, glycol distearate, dimethicone, fragrance, cetyl alcohol, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, magnesium sulfate, sodium benzoate, magnesium carbonate hydroxide, ammonium laureth sulfate, benzyl alcohol, sodium chloride, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, sodium xylenesulfonate, blue 1, red 4

While most of that doesn't make sense to me I do believe the underlined has been discussed about it's potential contribution to hair loss. I don't think personally sodium laureth sulfate has the potential to cause hair loss as expierienced by those H+S sufferers as it is in many brand name shampoos. Though I have heard of Zinc contributing to hair loss and it seems to be the active ingredient here.

Joachim-

Reaction score
I do believe that Head & shoulders can cause hair loss. Not because of the active ingredient but because of sodium laureth sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate and ammonium laureth sulfate.

As we all know, almost all brands of shampoo will only contains only one of those three ingredients in their shampoo. But head and shoulders contains all three or at least two of those sulfates which certainly is going to be extremely harsh for our scalp.

I have alway wonder why Head & Shoulders feel the needs to include all three sulfates in their shampoo? Anyway, I think that it will still be a good shampoo if we use it once a week.

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's those chemicals.....but judging by the posts, it seems as if head and shoulders accelerates the speed at which hair is lost, even girls who use it lose hair so it def. has nothing to do with hormones....

Joachim-

Reaction score
The good news is, most mentions that the hair regrowth after they stop using Head & Shoulders altogether.

LeesHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

SLS and other sulphate based ingredients haven't been proven to be harmful, some tests "prove" they are, others "prove" they aren't, all peer reviewed etc, so which is right?

Unfortunately it's a myth often put out and advertised by some companies, the more you see "SLS free" the more you think it must be bad right? When I tell you some toothpaste, conditioners, cleaners, moisturisers, and professionally used treatments have SLS in as well, how bad do you think it is for you?

Like all myths there may be some truth to it, but remember it's probably better to use something with SLS and useful active ingredients loike head and shoulders than touse something "organic" "all-natural" "SLS free" and made in someone's shed of hedge clippings and jaffa cakes, which obviously will not do what it claims.

Best of all of course is to be careful, avoid SLS etc. where you can, there are SLS free products out there that also have useful ingredients in, so instead of panicking think, do the research, and don't believe the pseudoscience many companies give out, look for tests etc, and try products carefully.

Also I did notice Elvis123 said hair loss has nothing to do with hormones as girls lose hair too, I'm afraid mate girls have hormones too, the same ones as men, including the often mentioned DHT. Hormones do have an effect, as does free radical damage, stress, certain chemicals, and diet. Trust me, I'm not a doctor I'm a chemist, we're quite good at this sort of thing! :)

CCS

Reaction score
If you do a google search for the zinc shampoo, you will find a study that shows that zinc shampoo caused hair loss compared to placebo shampoo.

kay72

Reaction score
I used a lot of Silicon products in my hair and twice a week I use Head and Shoulders just on my roots. I lathers up to my ends. but the Sulfates in it take off the silicon build up on my hair follicles. I immediately use a moisturizing conditioner right afterward and leave it on my hair for a few until I get done showering. but my hair hasn't lost any of it's moister or strength.

Dreamliner

Reaction score
I used H&S for years up until about 6 months ago when I bought a special (gimmic maybe?) HairMax shampoo. I found it made me flake like crazy on dark shirts/jackets so I went back to H&S during the last month. Keep in mind I wash my hair daily (as I use rogaine/caboki). Aside from the ever so commonly recommended Nizoral (apparently not good for daily use) does anyone have a recommendation for a shampoo that won't give dandruff-like flakes?

PreCueBall

Reaction score
I think your right John. I've been using a natural shampoo (Herbal Glo: Fine/Thinning Hair) and it actually has solid ingredients including Aloe Vera and Biotin but I don't think its so great for my scalp. I constantly get flakes and red bumps along my temples and hairline. Just used Dove ZP the other day and my scalp felt great. I think the natural shampoo fad is just that, a fad. It's probably good for the hair strand itself but as far as the scalp goes, depending on the person, might actually cause more problems then it solves.. But what the F do I know, I'm shedding worse then my cat right now. :censored:

Bald73

My Regimen
Reaction score
New to this site. I am 72 and have been gradually going bald over the years. But the rate of hair loss had stabilized recently leaving me with a good amount of hair on scalp and upper forehead. A couple of weeks ago I started using Head and Shoulders shampoo. After only a few applications I noticed the hair on my upper forehead falling out. I could see inside all hairs curling up and falling out. I stopped using H&S right away, but the hair loss continued to the point there is little hair remaining on my scalp and no hair on my upper forehead. My sunburn pattern shows where my hair used to cover my skin. I wish I had read the posts on this site before I used H&S. They confirm that H&S caused my hair loss. I am a lawyer and thinking about filing a class action lawsuit. Any one interested in joining? Let me know.

Rakoczi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have used head and shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo for 6 years (23 now). I know that right when I started using it, I had a lot more hair falling out while showering. Like 2 to 3 times as much. But it made my hair much thicker and heavier. So it never really bothered me. I usually have to shower every day, and I need some kind of shampoo every day because of my work my hair gets dirty.

One thing about it is if I only use it once a week, it is really obvious of my balding spots. But after I shower with head and shoulders, my hair thickens up enough that it can be hidden. Lately though, it is no longer the case. The hair loss is getting too far. I look TERRIBLE without shampoo , and I look bad with shampoo.

I am wondering what I should use instead? It is very expensive anyway. I want to know what people would recommend as replacements? I do not need anti-dandruff anymore, that was more a problem in teen years and wearing black lol

So can anyone recommend a replacement to head and shoulders, that will work with long hair? (that is, hair to the shoulders long...) and will not make it thin? I need to keep hair thick

Jamster22

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm going to sue Head and Shoulders because I had over 50 strains/ follicles fall out all at once again! This has been happening off and on for a few years now. I thought it would stop and it has not.... I took a video of head and shoulders causing the hair to fall out and proving many strains / follicles came out due to head and shoulders ingredients! Head and shoulders has caused me emotional stress and pain and suffering. I'm even having compulsive problems now due to continued looking at my hair because I'm scared to be baled at such a young age of 23. If I go balled I would rather it be naturally not go balled due to a product causing many hair folicles / hair strans to fall out at once! Very, very stressed and hurt emotionally and physically. I also have received burning on scalp and swelling / redness due to ingredients causing intensive swelling and eritation. Since the last time using shampoo / conditioner I've been stressed more and depressed due to the many times I've scene hair loss and scared to go baled now after seeing so much hair come out at once. The dandruff problom is not as bad as many, many strans / folicles of hair falling out causing balled patches through hair imbarising and hurting me, product causing me red bumps on scalp and isn't hu eyes that have burned bad and itching on ears bad! I will do anything I have to do to get justice and stop Head and shoulders -proctor and gambles product from hurting others! Please contact me lawyers if your looking to take a Georgia guys case about this serious situation. Contact me Joshua aka Sunny Golding at jamout1993@gmail.com .

Sincerely a concerned United States Citizen!

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
New to this site. I am 72 and have been gradually going bald over the years. But the rate of hair loss had stabilized recently leaving me with a good amount of hair on scalp and upper forehead. A couple of weeks ago I started using Head and Shoulders shampoo. After only a few applications I noticed the hair on my upper forehead falling out. I could see inside all hairs curling up and falling out. I stopped using H&S right away, but the hair loss continued to the point there is little hair remaining on my scalp and no hair on my upper forehead. My sunburn pattern shows where my hair used to cover my skin. I wish I had read the posts on this site before I used H&S. They confirm that H&S caused my hair loss. I am a lawyer and thinking about filing a class action lawsuit. Any one interested in joining? Let me know.
i Dont use H&S shampoo but i wanted to say, your 72 and still worry about hair loss. We had a discussion in another thread about hair loss through the decades of life... It just shows you always care about hair no matter what age. Im 34 and im sure ill still care in 20 years and beyond

Dalton Smith

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used head and shoulders everyday for a month and my hair started falling out and thinning out from front straight back to crown. I'm only 18 years old and seen a dermatologist and got a biopsy and want to start me on rogain and maybe propecia. The side effects of propecia don't look good. After reading all the stories of using head and shoulders and hair loss I would be interested in a class action law suit.

Dalton Smith

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used head and shoulders everyday for a month and my hair started falling out and thinning out from front straight back to crown. I'm only 18 years old and seen a dermatologist and got a biopsy and want to start me on rogain and maybe propecia. The side effects of propecia don't look good. After reading all the stories of using head and shoulders and hair loss I would be interested in a class action law suit.
I should have added new to the site and I used the shampoo probably a year ago and the effects continue.

Janekoman12

Established Member
Reaction score
I use H and S on face it cleared My pimplar problem, i use regenpure and recently tryed HS on scalp and yes it cause more shedding to Much harsh chemicals in it HS is for Ppl with dandruff if you dont have dandruff dont use it

CharAblaze

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol, I remember when I was in the third year of my High school and I decided to use Head and Shoulders every second day since my hair was very oily all the time. My hair looked epic then, however the strange coincidence was that after a few months male pattern baldness f*****g started and in 6 months totally destroyed my hairline. Such a f*****g shame, girls used to comment upon my looks, that I looked like a model, even stalked me to my home and now they just do not give a f***. What a f*****g joke.