Hats as a toupee

s.a.f

Reaction score
somone uk said:
hmm i am not using a hat as a toupee but instead a bandanna
i find it has several advantages such that people don't usually have the same social obligations to take off a bandanna, and people don't usually deduce why you are wearing one all the time

but i do admit this is something that works more when you are in your 20's more than 30's

I dont believe I've ever seen anyone in the UK wearing a bandana :shock: Unless they were going to a fancy dress party as Hulk Hogan.

Do people in america even wear them now that Guns and roses are'nt in the charts anymore?

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Oh my. I have not really been here for about a year and a half, and when I come back the same people are having the same argument about the difference between a bald head and a balding head.

Seriously, we are all on the same team.

Uncomfortable man and HatPrisoner91, how come you never used finasteride? Or did you try and your hairloss was too aggressive? Or did you not know about it? Do you use finasteride now? Just asking...

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
s.a.f said:
[quote="somone uk":u3a79h14]hmm i am not using a hat as a toupee but instead a bandanna
i find it has several advantages such that people don't usually have the same social obligations to take off a bandanna, and people don't usually deduce why you are wearing one all the time

but i do admit this is something that works more when you are in your 20's more than 30's

I dont believe I've ever seen anyone in the UK wearing a bandana :shock: Unless they were going to a fancy dress party as Hulk Hogan.

Do people in america even wear them now that Guns and roses are'nt in the charts anymore?

No, other than wanna-be rappers and commercialized poser-idiots like eminem and kid rock, white folks don't really wear them anymore for the most part, except for bikers and other small groups. Its mostly other ethnic groups. For example, gang-bangers in urban ghettos use them to identify themselves (ie - each gang has a different colored bandana)[/quote:u3a79h14]
did someone say gangbangers?
ts

i would say i look more heavy metal/biker than gangsta (who btw wear do rags not bandannas)
i am a student and a bar worker out of term, i can imagine it being different at an office

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
optimus prime said:
Oh my. I have not really been here for about a year and a half, and when I come back the same people are having the same argument about the difference between a bald head and a balding head.

Seriously, we are all on the same team.

Uncomfortable man and HatPrisoner91, how come you never used finasteride? Or did you try and your hairloss was too aggressive? Or did you not know about it? Do you use finasteride now? Just asking...

Lost all my hair within a year and the only thing around at the time was the initial Rogaine, which did nothing for me.

Obsidian

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
[quote="somone uk":1ghp1j1o]hmm i am not using a hat as a toupee but instead a bandanna

Do people in america even wear them now that Guns and roses are'nt in the charts anymore?[/quote:1ghp1j1o]

I do every now and then. Nothing like Axl though, more like this when I am doing yardwork because I hate wiping my forehead every 5 seconds.
001564_11.jpg

OhioGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
I wish things were like they were back in the 1700s when all men wore a white wig to social events. Also does anyone else feel like sh*t when they have to dress up formally. Nothing cool about having thinning hair when wearing a suit. Thats when I'm most envious of guys with full heads of hair.

Another thought....you watch, as soon as there is a real cure for balding (i.e. something like folligen coming true) society will deem it acceptable to wear the formal hats of the 20's and 30's when dressing in suit and tie.

One more deep thought....sometimes I wish every guy went bald at a certain age like growing facial hair. Then again, I just wish I had a full head of f*****g hair.

That is all. :punk:

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
OhioGuy said:
I wish things were like they were back in the 1700s when all men wore a white wig to social events. Also does anyone else feel like sh*t when they have to dress up formally. Nothing cool about having thinning hair when wearing a suit. Thats when I'm most envious of guys with full heads of hair.

Another thought....you watch, as soon as there is a real cure for balding (i.e. something like folligen coming true) society will deem it acceptable to wear the formal hats of the 20's and 30's when dressing in suit and tie.

One more deep thought....sometimes I wish every guy went bald at a certain age like growing facial hair. Then again, I just wish I had a full head of f****ing hair.

Once baldness is cured and a thing of the past, women all over the world will finally admit that baldness IS NOT SEXY and never looked good because no feelings would get hurt. Lying b****s.

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i tend to wear a beanie when im having an off day. its not so much covering my hair cause i think ppl will say something its more a case of self vanity and looking in the mirror..hands fll of gel and thinking 'f*ck this i give up'. if i dont feel i have what looks like a full nw1 i feel like covering it. Thats my hair battle..battlng my own vanity. i have the hair alot of you guys would be happy with...im just too into having what i feel like is 'perfect hair'...its a big flaw in my character.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Once baldness is cured and a thing of the past, women all over the world will finally admit that baldness IS NOT SEXY and never looked good because no feelings would get hurt. Lying b****s.

I think it can be in SOME cases. Very dark skinned men look better without hair or close cropped hair. Some white guys look ok to good with a shaved head too. But most aren't that lucky. And even those who do look ok to good with it look better with hair. It just shapes the face way better.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
iwantperfection said:
i tend to wear a beanie when im having an off day. its not so much covering my hair cause i think ppl will say something its more a case of self vanity and looking in the mirror..hands fll of gel and thinking 'f*ck this i give up'. if i dont feel i have what looks like a full nw1 i feel like covering it. Thats my hair battle..battlng my own vanity. i have the hair alot of you guys would be happy with...im just too into having what i feel like is 'perfect hair'...its a big flaw in my character.

It begins as a challenge to our own sense of vanity and self worth but when a fully bald head is exposed to the harsh climate of a brutally judgmental society then it becomes something else..... a social handicap.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
It begins as a challenge to our own sense of vanity and self worth but when a fully bald head is exposed to the harsh climate of a brutally judgmental society then it becomes something else..... a social handicap.

At some point, I stopped blaming people. If something looks bad, then it looks bad. I Can't really blame people for being turned off or judgemental about it. I mean yeah baldness is not our fault but neither is being born ugly either but that does not stop people from being that way and thinking negatively about them.

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
finfighter said:
I just got a few of these military style caps like the one in the last pic, and I have been getting all kinds of attention from hot women when wearing it out. I even had a model approach me at the club the other night, and I got her digits!
I wear hats by necessity, to protect my bare head from rain, snow, cold, or avoid scratching it somewhere (it happened last summer when walking near a garden with tree branches hanging outside).

By the end of spring until autumn I forget about them, inside and outside. But when I wear them, I prefer what you just mentioned, military-style caps. I got some very warm and encouraging comments about such hats from women I know, and which are well aware of course that I am bald; they say that they fit very well my looks.

When inside I may leave my hat on, it depends. For example, I wear it always when I am inside a shop or commercial center while moving and looking, but never at work, study places, schools, churches, restaurants. I can see in which way some people get attached to them since, although I started using them by necessity (you cannot help it with a shiny bald head in winter), I saw an improvement in my looks, at least through the comments of the women I mentioned.

But at this point I have to say that hygiene is important. Since I have to wear them regularly for at least the half of the year, I have three or more so that I can wash them. If they are used on daily basis, they become clothing like everything else we wear, so they need regular cleaning. And this is where the military-style caps have an advantage since they can go into the washing machine together with other clothing.

About clothing now: I don't know if baldness really limits the ways one can dress acceptably, but in my case there is a more determining factor, the fact that I am really slim for my age (42 in less than 2 months from now). For many years, and often even today, I had no other viable option than shops like this one. For example, although I look very much alike in the body line as their model here, I am more thin than him (probably my "son", age-wise), mostly in the waist. I tried in another shop 4 months ago a jacket for teenagers (16 years old to be precise) and it fitted perfectly on me, if that makes things more clear. That could mean also that today's boys are more developed than we were back at our time.

This is my own personal perspective about hats. And I am really bald, not like 80% of people around here. I don't have photos but you can check out a video I have on youtube. The video quality is very bad, it is mostly about music. But in the very end my face is clearly shown, up to the level of the eyes. Now try to imagine this with a NW6-7 pattern, a really thin body and a military-style hat on. Some may find this interesting, others ridiculous; the consensus may vary wildly.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
OhioGuy said:

One more deep thought....sometimes I wish every guy went bald at a certain age like growing facial hair. Then again, I just wish I had a full head of f****ing hair.

I am going to contradict you ...some guys are looking good and sexy bald...

for example in my country...there is a guy that has 24 years old ...and he he is doing rap/hip hop...anyway he is highly appreciated by all the people ladies young people or older people... this is the guy I am talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z0y5pte ... re=related

and one video of his music...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0bt_9Qiznc

cuebald

Reaction score
lol I didn't know you were from Romania.
I was in Bulgaria last week; everyone I saw under 35 was NW2 at most (yes I was sad enough to Norwood Spot :laugh:)

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
to be honest here are a lot of baldies even in their 20's ...let's say 20% ...I used to had a room mate 2 years ago at college who was 19 he was norwood 4-5...I wasn't balding at that time...and every time we went out at clubs or pubs the girls keep thinking that he is 30 years old...I was laughing at that time...now I understand that was a pain for him...the good news is that if you have lots of money here you can have any girl you like...:))) and trust me here are a lot of hot girls!

elliotramsey

Established Member
Reaction score
I wear hats now because its just nice when people can't see my hairline, which isn't all THAT bad.

But i've always been a hat person anyways, nothing really has changed. I used to wear them to keep the sun out of my eyes. I still do.

Unrelated, but I hung out with some girls a few days ago at college, who expressed their disappointment of me leaving (since i'm transferring colleges) and a couple of them were like "No I love Dan! (my real name) I don't want you to leave" This was while I had my hat off and my short-buzzed hair in full view.

Michael84

Established Member
Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
to be honest here are a lot of baldies even in their 20's ...let's say 20% ...I used to had a room mate 2 years ago at college who was 19 he was norwood 4-5...I wasn't balding at that time...and every time we went out at clubs or pubs the girls keep thinking that he is 30 years old...I was laughing at that time...now I understand that was a pain for him...
I had a mate at university who was NW6 at his 20. At that time I always thought that he just passed through some terrible disease like cancer and lost his hair... Now I know that I was a bit wrong... Anyway, everybody treated him good and I never heard any comments about his baldness.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
I am going to contradict you ...some guys are looking good and sexy bald...

for example in my country...there is a guy that has 24 years old ...and he he is doing rap/hip hop...anyway he is highly appreciated by all the people ladies young people or older people... this is the guy I am talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z0y5pte ... re=related

and one video of his music...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0bt_9Qiznc

You said it. SOME people but it's not the majority. If you are forced to wear it and it doesn't sit you, what do you do?

It's like some people look better fat, some better with a big nose. Does it work on everyone? No!

Same here.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
@ andrei, your point is? The example you provided is not bald. Sorry.
elliotramsey said:
I wear hats now because its just nice when people can't see my hairline, which isn't all THAT bad.

But i've always been a hat person anyways, nothing really has changed. I used to wear them to keep the sun out of my eyes. I still do.

Unrelated, but I hung out with some girls a few days ago at college, who expressed their disappointment of me leaving (since i'm transferring colleges) and a couple of them were like "No I love Dan! (my real name) I don't want you to leave" This was while I had my hat off and my short-buzzed hair in full view.

And your point is? You talk about your hairline, implying that you still have hair on the top of your head which is far from bald. It's normal and it is seen as such by society, since your average person (let alone, chick) isn't going to tell the difference between a mature hairline and an NW3.... it's all the same to them BUT once you cross that threshold and you are universally seen as bald then you will notice certain people reacting to you in underwhelming ways.

You want to know where my hairline is? The back of my mother f*****g head! :jackit: