Hats as a toupee

Obsidian

Reaction score
I work next to a guy in my office and wears a hat everyday along with sloppy attire, I guess he can get away with the sloppy attire because he goes out in the field a lot but honestly the hat just has to go. Our office is somewhere in between business professional and casual, I would say I am the youngest there and most people are balding believe it or not from people in their late 20's to 50's from NW3 to clearcut NW7, most being in the NW4 to 6 range.

Anyway, back to the guy. He wears a baseball cap everyday and I could understand maybe because it is cold or rainy out. Still once you get inside there is no reason to wear a baseball cap constantly. It just reeks of unprofessional ism.

Maybe I am just jealous he can dress like a slob, although I won't deny I actually like wearing suits now, I think it makes me look better than wearing a flannel and jeans around.

Still none the less, if no one else is wearing a hat then I do not see the point of him being allowed to wear one.

Obsidian

Reaction score
finfighter said:
Obsidian said:
I work next to a guy in my office and wears a hat everyday along with sloppy attire, I guess he can get away with the sloppy attire because he goes out in the field a lot but honestly the hat just has to go. Our office is somewhere in between business professional and casual, I would say I am the youngest there and most people are balding believe it or not from people in their late 20's to 50's from NW3 to clearcut NW7, most being in the NW4 to 6 range.

Anyway, back to the guy. He wears a baseball cap everyday and I could understand maybe because it is cold or rainy out. Still once you get inside there is no reason to wear a baseball cap constantly. It just reeks of unprofessional ism.

Maybe I am just jealous he can dress like a slob, although I won't deny I actually like wearing suits now, I think it makes me look better than wearing a flannel and jeans around.

Still none the less, if no one else is wearing a hat then I do not see the point of him being allowed to wear one.

Dude who gives a sh*t if the dude wares a hat.

Thanks, heard it might be back in July along with Breaking Bad.

What I am trying to say is he isn't fooling anyone with wearing the hat inside and it makes him look insecure about, which he may be. Still, if other guys there are slick bald on top are not wearing hats, I do not see any reason why he should be.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
And you care this much why?

He might be bald (probably) but also might be the type who wears them all the time and isn't bald (know a few of them).

Obsidian

Reaction score
HatPrisoner91 said:
And you care this much why?

He might be bald (probably) but also might be the type who wears them all the time and isn't bald (know a few of them).

Well no one else in the Office is wearing a hat and the dress code is business casual/professional, why should he get away with it?

If you read my post in the beginning he is an NW7, do you need me to get a picture of work ID? :whistle:

FSHGLD

Established Member
Reaction score
Ha, is he really senior, or does he have a 'nerdy' job and isn't expected to look good?

When you say 'why is he allowed to get away with it'....it's not like he's getting away with much...I bet everyone else there thinks it's dumb.

I work at a small office, and there's this really unfriendly, short guy who works at one of the neighbouring 'units' who wears a hat all the time...it's a horrible crusty thing I guarantee he bought as a teen circa 1999...he always seemed so miserable I was sure he was bald and hiding it..I see him most days and he had it on every day for weeks..then it turned out he had a full head of hair...his hair is about the only thing he has going for him appearance wise and he hides it all the time??

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Obsidian said:
Well no one else in the Office is wearing a hat and the dress code is business casual/professional, why should he get away with it?

If you read my post in the beginning he is an NW7, do you need me to get a picture of work ID? :whistle:

Ok and if no one else has a problem particularly "management" then you should not either. I mean do you think this guy posts on forums about you? Highly doubt it.

Obsidian

Reaction score
FSHGLD said:
Ha, is he really senior, or does he have a 'nerdy' job and isn't expected to look good?

When you say 'why is he allowed to get away with it'....it's not like he's getting away with much...I bet everyone else there thinks it's dumb.

I work at a small office, and there's this really unfriendly, short guy who works at one of the neighbouring 'units' who wears a hat all the time...it's a horrible crusty thing I guarantee he bought as a teen circa 1999...he always seemed so miserable I was sure he was bald and hiding it..I see him most days and he had it on every day for weeks..then it turned out he had a full head of hair...his hair is about the only thing he has going for him appearance wise and he hides it all the time??

No in his mid to late 30's, when baldness imo like that is completely acceptable no matter what HP or UM says otherwise.

He works in Operations like me so I wouldn't say it's nerdy but certainly requires brains.

I have no doubt everyone thinks it's dumb and it is an old hat that smells when you talk to him up close, or that might just be him.

HatPrisoner91 said:
Ok and if no one else has a problem particularly "management" then you should not either. I mean do you think this guy posts on forums about you? Highly doubt it.

So because management doesn't have a problem with it, I shouldn't? I never said it bothered me but I think he is fooling himself.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The fact that you are talking and ranting about it shows it bothers you.

I think for some, the hat is a toupee. It is for me. However I wore them with hair and I would continue to wear them with hair, though less.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I wear a hat or beanie whenever I'm out in public because I'm self conscious and insecure about it but at work I have to take it off. I imagine this guy feels no different about it than I do. But why should you care? It sounds like you want to pull his hat off at work and stomp on it.

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
I wear a hat or beanie whenever I'm out in public because I'm self conscious and insecure about it but at work I have to take it off. I imagine this guy feels no different about it than I do. But why should you care? It sounds like you want to pull his hat off at work and stomp on it.
Well, it's not like many over here act the same way when toupees are mentioned

Cassin

Reaction score
monty1978 said:
I wear a hat nearly all the time or at least where it is practicable to do so cos it makes me feel anonymouse. I have a friend with a norwood 1 who does the same.

Who honestly gives a sh*t

It only matters if it's always on...someone will bring it up

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
I wear a hat quite often. I'm trying to cut down (makes it sound like booze!) but it's such a easy route to go for. It takes 2 seconds to throw on, and you can go from looking in the mirror feeling lousy about yourself to feeling like you can take on the world. I can see why so many people opt fot hats and beanies as a concealer.

It's a tricky situation though, you get too attached to them and end up wearing them alot more than should and also the awkard social situations of wearing one indoors which does look odd at times. Maybe not so much if you are going to the shopping centre, or in a fancy restaurant/bar.

Then when you start wearing them all the time. People probably begin to wonder what's under the hat or if anything at all is under the hat, hairwise.

Saying all that, I like wearing beanies, I suit them and I'll continue to wear them, but just not all the time like I did. I'm now cutting down on wearing them and before I'd keep them on when going into bars, cinemas etc but now I'm taking them off once inside.

FSHGLD

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm overly reliant on hats too, though I wore them a lot as a teen. I tend to wear them outdoors for most of the winter (and sometimes indoors), until it's too warm to wear one...in the summer I don't care as much cos I tan and feel more comfortable in the way I look
Not to sound like an egotistical dick, but I get a fair bit of female attention when wearing a nice woolly hat, but tend not to get a whole lot without it..Only today when getting a take-away coffee, the girl behind the counter walked into her colleague cos she was still looking at me when walking..Needless to say, I was wearing a hat..It's a double-edged sword..it's a confidence booster, but then makes you think of how much of a hindrance going bald young is...

cuebald

Reaction score
I hate hats. If I had hair I'd never wear one again

Cassin

Reaction score
Dudemon...how old are you?

I used to wear a hat day & night. Never outside without one. Gave that up like 6 years ago...(I'm 34 now) either I matured or just got sick of it. Probably both. I've worn a hat maybe once in the past two years and that was three weeks ago when I had fallen asleep the night before with wet hair and I had some serious bed head but needed to run errands. I thought I looked rediculous in a hat. It's amazing how times change. It got to the point where I would get anxious worrying about people asking me about it.

CCS

Reaction score
People tend to wear suits for pictures and movies, but I doubt that is how most people dressed, unless they were trying to show off.

Thinneritgoes!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't get all the talk about hats not being trendy or popular. And only ball caps?! This isn't 1998. Hats are very trendy and popular right now.
Fedoras have made a huge comeback. The old style golf hats are huge right now (forget the actual name).
My personal favorite to wear is the military style hat. It makes you look stylish without wearing a tacky baseball cap, looking like you're trying to hide the thinning hair underneath.
Wool caps are popular to wear (as long as it's cold, of course!)

Ditch the ball cap, guys.

7208-Ryan-Gosling.jpg

justin_timberlake_phlphotos204608_justin.jpg

INFphoto_1290665b.jpg