Hats as a toupee

s.a.f

Reaction score
finfighter said:
s.a.f said:
finfighter said:
in high school I would wear hats quite often, and a lot of my friends would as well. We would never take our hats off when we went inside or ate dinner and nobody thought twice about it.

But you're not in high school anymore. As an adult you wear clothes for practcality.

Why would anyone wear a hat indoors?? :dunno:
Is your head cold indoors? is it raining on you indoors? Is the sun getting in your eyes indoors?

What other reason is there for putting a hat on your head those are the things hats were invented for.

There are times when I like to wear a hat IE: just got up no time for a shower hair looks like sh*t.

I don't wear hat's all that much anymore but when I do I'm not gonna take it off just because I go inside a building, I don't see the point, no one that I know takes their hat off inside, And I have a lot of friends who wear hats (who aren't balding) and they don't take there hats off either whats the point? Where in the hell are they supposed to put their hats? It's not like there's always a damn hat rack around. It's more of a fashion than a function, at least where I live....
No one rational is going to get their panties in a bunch over someone not taking their hat off indoors. That's like getting pissed if someone putts their elbows on the dinner table, who gives a sh*t? Not me!

I can understand it being inappropriate in a formal dress setting to wear a baseball cap though IE: work in a office, as the OP explained

When I'm outdoors I wear a coat but I would'nt keep it on inside. Either you're still young enough to get away with trying to be trendy or things are very different in your country. But here in the UK I dont know anyone who is'nt bald over the age of 21 or under the age of 70 that wears a hat. Unless of course its snowing outside. To me if I saw someone wearing a hat indoors I'd think of it exactly the same as someone wearing a pair of gloves indoors - weird.

[attachment=0:gev6n3eo]chavs.jpg[/attachment:gev6n3eo]

This is what accounts for 99% of the hat wearers in the UK. But no one over the age of 19 can pull off the look.

(note they are outside).

Attachments

• chavs.jpg
    chavs.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 177

hunterfoans

Reaction score
What is with this hat stuff ? I have no hair that is not a problem but my head is cold that is. I have 50 + hats. a hard hat with liner for cutting wood in winter, a mesh baseball hat for keeping the sweat out my eyes in the bilge of a boat at 110 degrees in the summer, a cowboy hat with insect mesh for spring mowing of my fields, a rubber hat for spraying orchards. When I go out to dinner I might wear a base ball hat or a fake hair hat just for fun. if I wore a wig to keep my head warm would it be more acc. ? I live in maine and keep a full face snowmobile helmet in my truck incase I have to snow blow against the wind at 10 degrees below 0. people who are stupid don't understand the saying "If your feet are cold put a hat on".

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Obsidian said:
uncomfortable man said:
Then again, there aren't too many "looks" or styles that compliment an NW5 without looking retarded. Sure, a business suit looks acceptable with a bald head but I'm not going wear one everyday just for that reason. Alot of bald men I see wear semi-casual dress shirts tucked into a pair of dockers like they live in a cubicle. I hate the idea of conforming to some bland middle aged dress style to conform to my bald head.

Business suit is more than acceptable. Wearing a dress shirt with dockers or jeans is conformity? Is your style truly original? Where do you work that allows your clothing style?

What is wrong to dress nice when your out than wear something that looks like crap.

Just out of curiosity, what do you wear?

@ work I wear some black dickies workpants, a black tshirt with the black collared short sleeved polo that they give us... tucked in and a pair of comfortable running shoes. But I'm talking about dressing outside of work. My point is that going bald can decrease your style options of how you dress because in most cases you will just look like your trying too hard to look young or hip (like SAF pointed out). How I dress outside of work is simple and understated..... usually black jeans (regular cut), a t-shirt, hat or beanie and some vans. I don't wear trendy flashy clothes because I'm not the type to draw attention to myself.

cuebald

Reaction score
I guess some people just like hats. I have a friend who always wears a beanie, and if you take it off him he reacts very angrily (he even ducks down to hide his head, as a NW5 would if you took his hat off). Yet he has a thick NW1 head of curly blonde hair with nothing abnormal about it.

I thought for ages he must have some serious diffusing going on to hide his otherwise perfect hair - but nope. Yet he still hides under it as if it were a toupee. Perhaps he is just nuts (or perhaps he is one of those perfect NW1's with BDD we see on here who are convinced they are bald)

The other guys who always wear hats, they know why they wear, and so does every body else. Nobody is fooled. It becomes basically the modern day equivalent of the bad toupee as Cassin says. Everyone knows why it is on there even if everybody is too polite to say it.

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Obsidian said:
[quote="uncomfortable man":e5b94w6j]Then again, there aren't too many "looks" or styles that compliment an NW5 without looking retarded. Sure, a business suit looks acceptable with a bald head but I'm not going wear one everyday just for that reason. Alot of bald men I see wear semi-casual dress shirts tucked into a pair of dockers like they live in a cubicle. I hate the idea of conforming to some bland middle aged dress style to conform to my bald head.

Business suit is more than acceptable. Wearing a dress shirt with dockers or jeans is conformity? Is your style truly original? Where do you work that allows your clothing style?

What is wrong to dress nice when your out than wear something that looks like crap.

@ work I wear some black dickies workpants, a black tshirt with the black collared short sleeved polo that they give us... tucked in and a pair of comfortable running shoes. But I'm talking about dressing outside of work. My point is that going bald can decrease your style options of how you dress because in most cases you will just look like your trying too hard to look young or hip (like SAF pointed out). How I dress outside of work is simple and understated..... usually black jeans (regular cut), a t-shirt, hat or beanie and some vans. I don't wear trendy flashy clothes because I'm not the type to draw attention to myself.[/quote:e5b94w6j]

lol you're hilarious...(in like a sad, pathetic way of course).

How about you just dress the way you would if you had a full, glorious head of hair? When I dress nicely, I often get compliments about it...I've never heard, "oh that would be a nice shirt if it weren't for the fact that you're bald and therefore obviously trying to compensate by wearing youthful, stylish looking clothing, therefore...its not a nice shirt."

seriously man...you're destroying yourself with these bullshit ideas that hold no merit in the real world...re: the world that exists outside your own messed up head.

Thinneritgoes!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I can't believe some of things I read on here.
Come on guys, dress how you want. You live ONE time. People wear hats all of the time. Inside, outside, hair, no hair etc.
Wear the clothes you want. Because you're losing hair or reach a certain age doesn't mean you have to automatically whip out boring and dull clothes and look a certain way. It's disappointing to see so many guys feel like they need to fit this societal mold that they have planted in to their heads.

Obsidian

Reaction score
qball01 said:
uncomfortable man said:
[quote="uncomfortable man":3uypwjol]Then again, there aren't too many "looks" or styles that compliment an NW5 without looking retarded. Sure, a business suit looks acceptable with a bald head but I'm not going wear one everyday just for that reason. Alot of bald men I see wear semi-casual dress shirts tucked into a pair of dockers like they live in a cubicle. I hate the idea of conforming to some bland middle aged dress style to conform to my bald head.

@ work I wear some black dickies workpants, a black tshirt with the black collared short sleeved polo that they give us... tucked in and a pair of comfortable running shoes. But I'm talking about dressing outside of work. My point is that going bald can decrease your style options of how you dress because in most cases you will just look like your trying too hard to look young or hip (like SAF pointed out). How I dress outside of work is simple and understated..... usually black jeans (regular cut), a t-shirt, hat or beanie and some vans. I don't wear trendy flashy clothes because I'm not the type to draw attention to myself.[/quote:3uypwjol]

Well I am guessing you work either in a factory/warehouse or car shop.

Bald does not decrease your clothing options as much as you would like to believe, but your options don't increase either if you have a full head of hair.

I am not trying to say you have to look young or hip, there is nothing wrong with dressing nice, it actually makes you feel good about yourself. Then again your problems run deeper than hair loss

The way you dress sounds like someone at 18, minus the hat. You may not realize it but the beanie, especially in Southern California, looks bad as in you're hiding something.

Again, you have a black and white mentality when it comes to this. Thinking that dressing nice = trendy and flashy.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've been on the lookout for one of those dudemon!.... not to rob a bank or anything :whistle: It'd just help protect my face when I'm cycling in this shitty winter weather :)

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Then again, there aren't too many "looks" or styles that compliment an NW5 without looking retarded. Sure, a business suit looks acceptable with a bald head but I'm not going wear one everyday just for that reason. Alot of bald men I see wear semi-casual dress shirts tucked into a pair of dockers like they live in a cubicle. I hate the idea of conforming to some bland middle aged dress style to conform to my bald head.

UCMan, they will never understand. They think they know better but honestly don't know what it feels like to be bald outside.

The feeling is similar to being completely naked among people who are dressed. Your body looks like crap, yet there is nothing you can do about. That is what it feels like to be in UCMan or my shoes. There is no comfort level that comes with until you are old enough where most in your age group look like you. And I"m sorry but that does not come until you are probably in your 50's.

CCS

Reaction score
Beanies are acceptable to wear inside if it is cold inside. But odd in the summer. You have to use your fashion sense to design a hat that even the old fashioned people would not find offensive. If you have to, commission a fashion designer to come up with a style that would look OK inside. That is art. But back to the beanie: part of it being acceptable is the fact that there is no brim. Also it being brown or black would help. But if it looks cheap or bum like, that would be bad. So you have to pick the material and style right.

And spend a little money and get your hats replaced every so often. People complain the most if it is dirty. In addition to hiding your baldness, the hat should make you look good, but not in a flashy way.

If you guys are troubled enough about your hair to wear a hat all the time, then I'm sure you have time to design this hat and make it yourself if you have to.

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
HatPrisoner91 said:
uncomfortable man said:

UCMan, they will never understand. They think they know better but honestly don't know what it feels like to be bald outside.

The feeling is similar to being completely naked among people who are dressed. Your body looks like crap, yet there is nothing you can do about. That is what it feels like to be in UCMan or my shoes. There is no comfort level that comes with until you are old enough where most in your age group look like you. And I"m sorry but that does not come until you are probably in your 50's.

lol...well then I guess I have nearly 30 years until I can be considered normal...cuz I'm 22 and bald...and I'm still not even close to being "in your shoes" because I'm not deranged.

You guys have turned this into something waaaaay bigger than it really is. I mean, you act like just walking the street as a bald man is this gigantic burden...I go to university and I don't feel even close to the way you do. I'm not gonna lie and act like it isn't uncomfortable sometimes being so young, but honestly...its still not even CLOSE to as bad as you try and say it is..and the sad part is you're nearly double my age.

Just understand that the actual situation of you being bald..and the reality you have turned it into are completely different things. So you're right when you say "that is what it feels like to be in our shoes" because it definitely must be horrible to live life with your mindset, but at the end of the day, its a mindset that YOU have created, and it doesn't reflect reality for the majority of bald men. You really need to just get over it...its just that simple.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Let's just accept the fact that not everybody looks at baldness the same way. It bothers some, while others could care less. They are two different mind-sets, each with their own justification and nothing one can do or say is going to convert the other to their way of thinking..... particularly when you do it in an insulting way. Everyone has a right to feel how they feel and lets leave it at that.

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Let's just accept the fact that not everybody looks at baldness the same way. It bothers some, while others could care less. They are two different mind-sets, each with their own justification and nothing one can do or say is going to convert the other to their way of thinking..... particularly when you do it in an insulting way. Everyone has a right to feel how they feel and lets leave it at that.

but that is a cop-out excuse. You're just allowing yourself to feel miserable...you come up with all these reasons why being bald has ruined your life but when anybody tries to give a counter-example of how that doesn't have to be/isn't the case with other bald men you say "well I'm allowed to feel like that...lets leave it at that."

It just doesn't make sense when you could be realizing that maybe...just maybe, its not nearly as big a problem as you claim and that therefore you're capable of eventually reaching that mindset. If you accepted the fact that other bald men don't feel the way you do because they've made the choice not to, then you could begin working at reaching that level too by realizing your thinking may just be flawed. But you refuse to accept that possibility and choose to remain depressed about a problem that YOU have made much worse than it is in reality...and that is why I give you a hard time. You make the choice to feel miserable about something that you try to convince others is the cause of so much misery...but if it isn't that way for all bald men, then why does it have to be for you?

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:

I definitely agree with this to a degree. What is missing is that "unsaid" rule about all bald people being equal. Which is not true. Nothing I hate more that people posting picture of Jason Statham (who is not completely bald), Vin Diesel (or clearly shaves his head and looks BETTER when he grows it out some) and Bruce Willis (who wore a wig until he was what 50+).

That or grouping Norwood's in the same boat.

HatGuy

Reaction score
Being a NW3 and 20... I am completely devastated about losing my hair and even more so about growing it back :( I wear a hat EVERY TIME I GO OUTSIDE OR EVEN SEE OTHER PEOPLE. It adds up to my other problems (which I won't get into). Whenever I look into the mirror I think: "why me??" :shakehead:

EDIT: not only am I an NW3, but I am also thinning pretty badly..

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
qball01 said:
uncomfortable man said:

but that is a cop-out excuse. You're just allowing yourself to feel miserable...you come up with all these reasons why being bald has ruined your life but when anybody tries to give a counter-example of how that doesn't have to be/isn't the case with other bald men you say "well I'm allowed to feel like that...lets leave it at that."

It just doesn't make sense when you could be realizing that maybe...just maybe, its not nearly as big a problem as you claim and that therefore you're capable of eventually reaching that mindset. If you accepted the fact that other bald men don't feel the way you do because they've made the choice not to, then you could begin working at reaching that level too by realizing your thinking may just be flawed. But you refuse to accept that possibility and choose to remain depressed about a problem that YOU have made much worse than it is in reality...and that is why I give you a hard time. You make the choice to feel miserable about something that you try to convince others is the cause of so much misery...but if it isn't that way for all bald men, then why does it have to be for you?

Sounds like your saying if I don't think like you or anyone else who isn't bothered by their baldness, then my perspective must be flawed? When it comes to something as subjective as "our feelings" there is no right and wrong, there just is.

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
qball01 said:
[quote="uncomfortable man":3t5p9rfr]Let's just accept the fact that not everybody looks at baldness the same way. It bothers some, while others could care less. They are two different mind-sets, each with their own justification and nothing one can do or say is going to convert the other to their way of thinking..... particularly when you do it in an insulting way. Everyone has a right to feel how they feel and lets leave it at that.

Sounds like your saying if I don't think like you or anyone else who isn't bothered by their baldness, then my perspective must be flawed? When it comes to something as subjective as "our feelings" there is no right and wrong, there just is.[/quote:3t5p9rfr]

well, I'm saying your perspective is flawed, because if you see that there are in fact many bald men out there who don't share your views at all, then shouldn't it beg the question as to what is the difference between you and them? And shouldn't it also inspire you to want to reach a level where you aren't so bothered by it and realize a lot of this BS may just be in your head?

Afterall, like I said...what is the difference between you and them? You know that there are many bald men out there who live good lives and aren't really too concerned after a while about being bald....yet, you continue to see it as the worst thing imaginable....why?! And simply saying "everybody is different...experience is subjective" is a stupid cop-out. You're just giving yourself permission to be miserable instead of attempting to learn from the many bald men who don't feel like they're cursed and that everybody hates them because they're bald. The bottom line is, you cause the majority of your own misery and yet you can't even see it.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
qball01 said:
well, I'm saying your perspective is flawed, because if you see that there are in fact many bald men out there who don't share your views at all, then shouldn't it beg the question as to what is the difference between you and them? And shouldn't it also inspire you to want to reach a level where you aren't so bothered by it and realize a lot of this BS may just be in your head?

Afterall, like I said...what is the difference between you and them? You know that there are many bald men out there who live good lives and aren't really too concerned after a while about being bald....yet, you continue to see it as the worst thing imaginable....why?! And simply saying "everybody is different...experience is subjective" is a stupid cop-out. You're just giving yourself permission to be miserable instead of attempting to learn from the many bald men who don't feel like they're cursed and that everybody hates them because they're bald. The bottom line is, you cause the majority of your own misery and yet you can't even see it.

First of all, there are not that many bald men out there. By bald, I mean bald, not nw4, not nw3, not Norwood 2 etc. So when people say there are millions of men suffering from hairloss, they are including all those other ones. Now knock out anyone over 50, numbers become less. Knock out over 40, starts to become way smaller.

Second, we all don't look like. While one guy looks ok bald, another looks bad. If this were not true, everyone would look good with a buzz cut. But we all don't. Dark skinned guys can get away with it way more. Head shape is also a factor.

Third and last, until you are bald yourself in this situation, you cannot say a word about how a bald person should feel.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
qball01 said:

First of all, there are not that many bald men out there. By bald, I mean bald, not nw4, not nw3, not Norwood 2 etc. So when people say there are millions of men suffering from hairloss, they are including all those other ones. Now knock out anyone over 50, numbers become less. Knock out over 40, starts to become way smaller.

Second, we all don't look like. While one guy looks ok bald, another looks bad. If this were not true, everyone would look good with a buzz cut. But we all don't. Dark skinned guys can get away with it way more. Head shape is also a factor.

Third and last, until you are bald yourself in this situation, you cannot say a word about how a bald person should feel.