Hasson And Wong Or Rahal? Any Suggestions?

Bobster231

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I live in Canada and have been considering a transplant. I am a very diffuse Norwood 2.5 turning into a diffuse Norwood 3. I tried a hair piece and was happy with it. But I am wanting something more permanent.

There is a transplant clinic in my city but the surgeon does not have good reviews at all. Dr. Michael Sheps.

I have been consulting with Hasson and Wong and they quoted me 5000 grafts for an FUT procedure. I was concerned about my donor area not being stable as I am also thinning on the sides. But they assured me the donor is fine.

I have also consulted with Dr. Rahal and am awaiting a quote and recommendation from him.

Has anyone had experience with either one of these surgeons or clinics?

I have heard Rahal is one of the best but very expensive. Have heard great things about Hasson and Wong as well.

Couple questions.

Is Finasteride absolutely necessary for a transplant? I tried finasteride and had horrible side effects. I know it is recommended but is it absolutely necessary?

Thanks.

shookwun

Reaction score
What happened to your toupee hype? Just wear a hair piece brah!

If you were happy with it you wouldn't be leaning towards a transplant.

Toupees suck. face it! all smoke & mirrors. to much bullshit to endure, all though they look good.

Unless you are slick bald, they are a pain in the *** to maintain

finasteride isn't necessary, but highly advised. DHT will continue to diffuse your follicles, and it will leave gaps between your transplanted area. I take it your young to, which makes it even more probable.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Both are respected in the hair transplant community, I believe. I'll be seeing Dr. Rahal myself soon.

Make sure you have a long term plan without finasteride. Might be ok with with all these new treatments supposedly coming out, but they still aren't a guarantee

I'm going into debt to pay for my Rahal procedure. Seems way more worth it to me than a nice car or mortgage. I'd rather invest in the parts of me I take everywhere

Heat06

Established Member
Reaction score
Both are respected in the hair transplant community, I believe. I'll be seeing Dr. Rahal myself soon.

Make sure you have a long term plan without finasteride. Might be ok with with all these new treatments supposedly coming out, but they still aren't a guarantee

I'm going into debt to pay for my Rahal procedure. Seems way more worth it to me than a nice car or mortgage. I'd rather invest in the parts of me I take everywhere

I agree with your mentality. I have both (not tooting my horn), but having hair trumps a nice car and mortgage easily. Do you my friend. Hair will bring you more happiness. I know it will for me.

On side a note, Rahal is very expensive. $17k for 2500 grafts seems so high. Debating on dipping into my 401k for this.

resu

Reaction score
Just come to Europe, those numbers are ridiculous and it's not like Rahal is a sure bet, no Doctor is.

Smallville

My Regimen
Reaction score

When is your surgery scheduled?

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just come to Europe, those numbers are ridiculous and it's not like Rahal is a sure bet, no Doctor is.

This. I mean, you can save like 15k for a massive FUE by simply flying to Turkey and going with Erdogan or Dogonay. I know for sure I am going with Erdogan. I have seen nothing but tight work from his clinic.

Smallville

My Regimen
Reaction score
This. I mean, you can save like 15k for a massive FUE by simply flying to Turkey and going with Erdogan or Dogonay. I know for sure I am going with Erdogan. I have seen nothing but tight work from his clinic.

FYI... Dogonay's rep on hairestorationetwork is absolutely horrible. Piss poor result after piss poor, including members of his own team quitting and speaking out about the shadyness. I would avoid him at all costs.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I agree with you but aren't you worried about the terrorist attacks going on in Turkey right now? I was reading an article by Joe Tillman that said the popularity of Americans flying to Turkey for a hair transplant might be affected by all these terror attacks lately. I honestly feel Erdogan and Rahal do equal quality work. However, you will pay half the price if you go with Erdogan.

dr. cole

Reaction score
Hasson and Wong and Rahal both remove their strips. Hasson and Wong, Rahal, and Erdogan all use assistants to remove their FUE grafts. Erdogan does not do strips. I don't know anything about Dogonay. I would not put much value in recommended sites. If you pay their fee, you are good. If you don't pay their fee, you are not good. Some recommendation sites also promote ARTAS and that's the worst option of all

The problem with assistants is that the best ones might be hired away tomorrow and you are left with a doctor who can't do the procedure or a brand new assistant. Better off for you to go where doctors do the surgery. Now doctors that can't remove FUE grafts personally will tell you that only the recipient area matters. It doesn't. The recipient area is the easiest part and if the doctor's hand-eye coordination is so bad that they can't perform FUE, would you want them to make your recipient sites? In Turkey, I would go to Hairline Clinic in Ankara. It's harder to get to than Istanbul, but doctors do the extraction and the recipient sites, and they get great results. Erdogan has achieved excellent results to date, but remember that you are not going to Erdogan. You are going to his nurses. That's not the same thing.

shookwun

Reaction score
Rahal has a lead hand, who is also a transplant surgeon. The lead does the graft dissection, rahal does the recipient graft placement, while the assistants plug the grafts in.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem with assistants is that the best ones might be hired away tomorrow and you are left with a doctor who can't do the procedure or a brand new assistant. Better off for you to go where doctors do the surgery.

Wouldn't a surgeon like Erdogan be REALLY meticulous in hiring and training who he has performing this though? Also, wouldn't he make sure to over see it? Especially if he has knowledge ahead of time that the patient is a regular poster on such a forum, and will be detailing every step of the procedure?

I would hope so, because I am very strongly considering him. It would be horrible business, in general, to have unqualified people working on his patients.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
5000 grafts sounds pretty aggressive, I have had two procedures and the most I had was 3200 at once. if you want to keep your hair then yes finasteride is necessary. You have been losing it and nothing will stop it other than this drug. Just start with a 1/4 or 1/2 dose in the beginning to see how you react. And don't read what is posted online or it will scare you away from it.

shookwun

Reaction score
Not a chance I would go to Turkey. hell with that.

bat sh*t insane.

dr. cole

Reaction score
Dr. Rahal has an assistant cut the grafts. His assistant is not a physician, but he is talented. I do believe that Dr. Erdogan runs an excellent practice. Note that in Turkey; great assistants make less than $1000.00 USD per month. I could hire 5 to 6 top assistants for that in the USA. Labor costs are why surgery is so inexpensive in Turkey. Small increases in salary can make an assistant jump ship quickly in Turkey. That's why Dr. Erdogan's office makes me nervous. Using assistants to do the surgery for you, allows you to do more surgery and make more money. When your focus is money and not results, I worry. The only way to control results is to do the surgery yourself. If you concentrate on Turkey, try Hairline Clinic in Ankara with Dr. Ozgur. At Hairline Clinic, only physicians extract the grafts and make the recipient sites. They do a great job, and the cost is less than the USA. Hairline Clinic is composed of good, down to earth people. I visit them regularly and often have dinner with their patients and physicians. I absolutely love Hairline Clinic and endorse them 100%. Still, I understand concerns about travel to Turkey at the moment. I routinely work on members of the secret service. I have been told the place is quite dangerous at the moment.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Admin, Wolf Pack,or Agustin, is this poster who goes by dr. cole who is now implying he is the real hair transplant doctor from Forhair, "for real"? Or is he an imposter? (Cue theme song from To Tell the Truth) Will the real Dr. Cole, please stand up. We all know I am the real Dr Gregory House:rolleyes: