Has anyone switched from 5% to 15% and got better results?

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
I have been on minoxidil 5% for 4 years and was wondering if I switched to hight concentration of minoxidil would it yield better results. Any help from someone who has tried this would be highly appreciated.

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I just switched 1.5 motnhs ago and it is to soon to tell

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Excellent, thanks for the reply! I think I will be switching as well next month. How's the hair coming along?

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You still using Xandrox!? I wish I just started with this stuff a long long time ago.

Jake_89

Established Member
Reaction score
KielMcK said:
You still using Xandrox!? I wish I just started with this stuff a long long time ago.

Hey I read about Xandrox why do you say that mate? Would you recommend using minoxidil with Xandrox?

Sorry for my arrogance just trying to learn as much as possible

otis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Do you think it will penatrate the skin i think rogain had trouble makeing a 5% get through the skin

TheSkunk

Reaction score
By the way, you can get the exact same dose of minoxidil by using 3x the dose of 5% and it will spread better, but leave your hair very oily. Prepare for itchiness.

Dashtoronto

Established Member
Reaction score
TheSkunk said:
By the way, you can get the exact same dose of minoxidil by using 3x the dose of 5% and it will spread better, but leave your hair very oily. Prepare for itchiness.

Is there truth to this? If I start applying 5% minoxidil 3 times a day, instead of the usual 2? Will that increase my dosage into 15%? same as the other product?

Cassin

Reaction score
PropeciaJunkie said:
Not sure what you mean IBM. Can you elaborate?

There's only so much minoxidil your scalp can handle and Bryan states that 5% twice daily is close to that.

Whether he means 5% or the actual quantity of the product I am not sure now that I think on it.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Ahh, thanks Cassin & IBM. I wasn't sure if IBM meant too much minoxidil or a higher percentage would lead to more being absorbed into the bloodstream, which makes sense that it would . It also makes sense the scalp can only take in so much so maybe it might be overkill going 15% twice a day, instead mabe only once a day would be sufficient or looking at it a different was maybe even 5% three times oer day at closer intervals. I am toying around with things since after being on minoxidil for 4 years did yeild me great results however recently the front third is now taking a bit of a beating.

Rock on guys :punk: , again thanks for the input.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
PropeciaJunkie said:
It also makes sense the scalp can only take in so much so maybe it might be overkill going 15% twice a day, instead mabe only once a day would be sufficient or looking at it a different was maybe even 5% three times oer day at closer intervals.

What makes you assume that going 15% twice a day would be "overkill"? For all we know, it might actually be UNDERkill, considering that you haven't bothered to say anything about what specific vehicle you're using with the 15% minoxidil product. You absolutely CANNOT assume that all minoxidil vehicles are absorbed to exactly the same extent!! :freaked2: For your information, ordinary Rogaine types of topical vehicles (like various combinations of water, ethanol, and propylene glycol) cannot dissolve minoxidil beyond a theoretical limit that's somewhere in the vicinity of about 7.5% or so (pure propylene glycol dissolves it to about that much). Therefore, any topical minoxidil product that claims to have a minoxidil concentration of 15% must of necessity be using some DIFFERENT vehicle than the typical hydroalcoholic ones. For example, Dr. Lee uses glycerin and azelaic acid in his 15% Xandrox.

But here's the kicker: whether or not a product that uses glycerin (or any other vehicle that's different from the typical ones) is really effective at getting that extra minoxidil into you and utilized properly is an open question that hasn't really been investigated, as far as I know. The Merck Index states in plain English that glycerin doesn't permeate the skin as well as propylene glycol. Are you going to simply ASSUME that any 15% topical minoxidil product is always going to be better than (say) an ordinary 5% product, based just on the difference in numbers? :)

To use an obvious but extreme example: if you dusted your head with PURE powdered minoxidil, you would be applying 100% minoxidil! But do you really think very much (if any) of that would be absorbed, or would it just sit there on top of your scalp until the next time you showered or shampooed? :)

The devil is in the details, as they say: it's not just what percentage of minoxidil is in your hairgrowth product, it's also what kind of a vehicle it uses and how effective that vehicle is at penetrating into the scalp and delivering its payload, not to mention how much your scalp can hold before it just can't hold any more.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Good point Bryan and very interesting. I appreciate you taking the time to lay this out. Let me ask this, would using 5% minoxidil, say 3 times day be any more beneficial than using it twice? I am not sure how much the scalp can actually absorb and if it would not yeild better results then I would condsider switching to the 15% minoxidil and maybe alternating them (using each once per day) and seeing if I yeild better results and then over time go to 15% twice per day. Again I appreciate the insight.

-PropeciaJunkie

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
LOL! He has a way with words. It's going to take a few hours and couple of beers to soak that in but it is very interesting. Thanks guys for all the input.

Cassin

Reaction score
PropeciaJunkie said:
LOL! He has a way with words. It's going to take a few hours and couple of beers to soak that in but it is very interesting. Thanks guys for all the input.

I've had so many beers I'm not even going to try to digest it all until tomorrow.

*hic

:beer: