Has Anyone Recovered From A Reflex-hyperandrogenicity From Finasteride At All?

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I actually ordered 2 percent minoxidil. My hair loss isn’t bad so I feel this could help, but I’ve read to many stories about minoxidil sheds not coming back. I couldn’t live with that. It’s taken two years for the finasteride shedding to stop. I don’t shed anymore so I’m going to be kind to my hair. I currently massage for 10-20 minutes with my scalp covered in jojoba oil mixed with peppermint oil abs rosemary oil. nizoral once a week.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I actually ordered 2 percent minoxidil. My hair loss isn’t bad so I feel this could help, but I’ve read to many stories about minoxidil sheds not coming back. I couldn’t live with that. It’s taken two years for the finasteride shedding to stop. I don’t shed anymore so I’m going to be kind to my hair. I currently massage for 10-20 minutes with my scalp covered in jojoba oil mixed with peppermint oil abs rosemary oil. nizoral once a week.
This makes me laugh because this was me of what most you said. The exact oils, massages, and even nizoral didn’t do anything for me but if it helps you then right on.

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For me: Reflex-hyperandrogenicity goes away after stopping what caused it which is obviously oral finasteride but I had other sides after quitting and my hair density never came back fully to the beginning start of using oral finasteride. I didn't experience reflex-hyperandrogenicity on topical finasteride.
Did your hair get better when you stopped finasteride ?

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This makes me laugh because this was me of what most you said. The exact oils, massages, and even nizoral didn’t do anything for me but if it helps you then right on.
Why does it make you laugh?

Edit - I understand now.

Last edited:

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone who’s hair got worse on finasteride ever improved (as in a year off of it was in a better position hair-wise). I feel like a lot of people who use finasteride who don’t respond to it (aka a normal progression of their hair loss) say that they have RA. So my question is, who stopped finasteride and was better off hair wise years later ?

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone who’s hair got worse on finasteride ever improved (as in a year off of it was in a better position hair-wise). I feel like a lot of people who use finasteride who don’t respond to it (aka a normal progression of their hair loss) say that they have RA. So my question is, who stopped finasteride and was better off hair wise years later ?
The answer is yes, but it took a year for my Telogen Effluvium to finally stop. Are you still on finasteride?

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The answer is yes, but it took a year for my Telogen Effluvium to finally stop. Are you still on finasteride?
Yeah I’m on it I think I’ve maintained. So your saying your hair is better now, off finasteride, then it was a year ago?

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
okay so my back story is a bit confusing. I’ll try and be as clear as possible.

I first used finasteride in December 2017 for one year. I quit due to enormous shedding. I buzzed my head in January 2019 and my hair seemed to start to grow back again. By July 2019 I was very happy. No treatment other than viviscal supplements( which I’ve used twice and really do work to thicken miniaturized hair) body peach fuzz grows dark too, which I did not like. Powerful supplement.

Anyway, mid July 2019 I decided to try a minoxidil beard journey, I have a beard but it’s weak. This caused my hair to shed lol so I quit. The shed continued after quitting which was obviously stressful after my hair had grown in nicely.
November 2019 decided to try finasteride again. This was a big mistake. I only used it for three weeks this time and quit due to cognitive side affects. I’m not sure if the shed increased, but between summer 2019 to summer 2020 I appeared to lose a ton of density. I didn’t have thinning at the temples or crown but less volume over my entire scalp. Hairs falling from my side burns and neck even!
in October 2020 I decided to give in and buzz. Then no treatments for 10 months. Number one looked nice as the thinning was consistent. For those two months I massaged my scalp and used essentials oils. Scalp itch disappeared. I stated growing my hair back three weeks ago and it looks and feels like it was before the July 2019 shed. I won’t be using minoxidil or finasteride again.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did your hair get better when you stopped finasteride ?
I did not fully recover from the chronic Telogen Effluvium that was induced by oral finasteride. There’s a misconception that people can fully regain all there hair back from Telogen Effluvium and thats not always the case. I did recover some but not all...the Telogen Effluvium was insane...crazy itchy burning sensation and crazy hair fall out.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why does it make you laugh?

Edit - I understand now.
Cool beans...im more focus now on proven methods that works for hair loss and not experimenting on alternative stuff that isn’t proven and could set me back.

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cool beans...im more focus now on proven methods that works for hair loss and not experimenting on alternative stuff that isn’t proven and could set me back.
I understand. We both know finasteride is going to help our hair more than some essential oils. I probably didn’t experience reflex hyperandrogenicity(whatever the hell it is) I most likely quit a typical finasteride shed before the regrowth. Which I’m sure a lot of people do on here. I can’t go back on due to sides though.

Good luck with your treatment

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand. We both know finasteride is going to help our hair more than some essential oils. I probably didn’t experience reflex hyperandrogenicity(whatever the hell it is) I most likely quit a typical finasteride shed before the regrowth. Which I’m sure a lot of people do on here. I can’t go back on due to sides though.

Good luck with your treatment
Yeah i should have quit sooner like you did but i stuck to it hoping the sheds etc will subside but instead i got f’d over. I knew of the potential sides going into oral finasteride journey and willing to take that for better hair but blind sided by hyperandrogenicity/chronic Telogen Effluvium and to be fair most finasteride users won’t experience this

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But if all of you have worse hair now then you did before you went on finasteride, how do you know that it just wasn’t the normal progression on your male pattern baldness? Shedding doesn’t mean balding

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But if all of you have worse hair now then you did before you went on finasteride, how do you know that it just wasn’t the normal progression on your male pattern baldness? Shedding doesn’t mean balding
Ive always had slow progressive diffusion and same with both of my folks. No one in my family is slick bald.

Ive never had massive sheds and sheds that kicked into high gear accompanied with burning itching sensation in my life until I started using oral finasteride.

Telogen Effluvium symptoms is what I described. It’s definitely in my case finasteride.

If I’ve never tried oral finasteride I would be on same path of slow diffusion but ultimately my density took a massive hit from the chronic Telogen Effluvium induced from oral finasteride.

Even though all this I still think finasteride is a viable option to counter hairloss. Luckily topical finasteride doesn’t cause me chronic Telogen Effluvium but its not helping either.

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s not what I’m saying. I’m just saying I am not in Telogen Effluvium now. In fact I don’t shed much at all. It’s very possibly my hair would have been like this if I hadn’t have touched finasteride. We’re talking over three years ago. There definitely would be some natural hair loss. However, I do believe Telogen Effluvium causes some degree of permanent damage.

zeldazoo22

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do not keep switching meds. Either stay on dutasteride for a year+ or get off and wait a year+ for Telogen Effluvium to f*** off.
I added dutasteride to my finasteride regimen and my safe zones are getting attacked. What do I do?

zeldazoo22

My Regimen
Reaction score
bs? i went to having good coverage and density to lots of hair fallouts, slow growth to no growth to miniaturization of hair follicles...i had good hair coverage prior to finasteride and i been on finasteride about 10 months. whats bs is you discredit lots of ppl having these sides on finasteride..not everyone is gonna react the same way to a drug - thats just ignorant.
Any update manny?