Has Anyone Questioned Androgenetic Factors

bobmer

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah right.

The site is still in the making. And it's only a 10$ book. And if anybody thinks that websites with primary domain names are credible, they better think again.

If it does not do anyone any good, it's just $10 versus FDA approved drugs taken for life that cost 1000 times the production cost.

Half of all the pages of the book are on that site. 'don't believe, then don't buy. If anyone think that pharmaceuticals are very credible, they better think really hard.

michael barry

Reaction score
http://joe.endocrinology-journals.org/c ... /180/1/107

There is the study on women who took male hormone, and how 31 of 81 started going bald in the MALE pattern. Half were balding at year 13.

Here is what James Hamilton found out about studying the effects of testosterone on Castrates:

http://www.cjad.com/content/content_edi ... ldness.pdf

Dr. James Hamilton found a castrated mental patient with a full head of hair and his BALD twin brother in 1942. He got permission to inject the mental patient with testosterone. He was bald as his brother in six months. He also developed a sex drive, acne, muscles, and a deep voice. Ive researched this further.

Hamilton also found that all castrates who were castrated after puberty would lose their hair if he injected them with testosterone if they had baldness in their family history (some who had no bald relatives still didnt lose hair). He could stop their hairloss by stopping the testosterone. If the castrate had lost his manhood before puberty however, even if he had baldness in his family, he still wouldnt lose his hair with testosterone shots. But he WOULD get a deeper voice, acne, and a sex drive.

That pretty much seals it. DHT, a derivative of testosterone, causes balndess. The best way to stop it without being castrated is to induce castration-like effects in the scalp area alone BEFORE you lose hair. If you dont, and begin to lose hair, the immune-system attacks the follicle with growth inhibitors and superoxides. This is where a product like folligen can help.

Ongoing research indicates that androgens merely start the baldness process, and the immune attack finishes it off. The superoxides age the hair and scalp prematurely very badly also. Thats why bald men who have been bald many years often have liver spots and an aged looking scalp with thickish, tallowish skin beyond their years.

Hamilton's work was fascinating. Google search him some evening for some great reading. The immuno component to balding is what makes human balding so frustrating. Mice and other rodents DO NOT HAVE an immuno component to their balding. This is why one is mistaken if they get all to excited about rodent experiments. Human balding is much harder to "fix" if its been going on a while. An internal plus an topical anti-androgen plus a SOD/tissue repairer like the product folligen, tricomin, american crew, prox-n should really be about the best treatment available for now with baldness

michael barry

Reaction score
bobman,

I hope you READ THE PART ABOUT DR> JAMES HAMILTON being able TO STOP the baldness in the castrates by STOPPING THE HORMONAL (testosterone) injections.

HEAR ME AGAIN> castration STOPS FURTHER BALDESS.

Dont get you baldness info from a website that is trying to sell you something. That Doctor is either misinformed, or is just a liar. Probably the latter as Hamilton's study of Castrates is in the medical literature and his abliltity to stop further baldness in those castrates by stopping the testosterone injections is well noted.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
Here is what James Hamilton found out about studying the effects of testosterone on Castrates:

Dr. James Hamilton found a castrated mental patient with a full head of hair and his BALD twin brother in 1942. He got permission to inject the mental patient with testosterone. He was bald as his brother in six months. He also developed a sex drive, acne, muscles, and a deep voice. Ive researched this further.

If anybody knows exactly where Hamilton documented that so-called "twin study", please post it here. I've been looking for it for a long time, and haven't been able to find it. I've actually started to entertain suspicions that maybe the whole thing is apocryphal.

Bryan

bobmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Michael.

We'll take the effects of androgens as part of the mechanism in humans. We'll take Hamilton's study as credible and conclusive.

But there is still the other side of the story and that is - Other men don't go bald with androgens. The question of 'why' only means that a piece of puzzle is still missing.

Until someone finds out, until 'they' come up with a drug that will be as effective as vaccines, there will always be treasure hunters. We'll be rich if we find that. :D

I'd really like to post more excerpts from the book but the author is worried I might give away the critical parts.

michael barry

Reaction score
Bobman,

Since your last post isn't indicative of someone trying to sell something, which I suspected you might have been, I'll level with you......

One quick place to learn a ton about baldness in a "to the point" article is to go to Dr. Peter Proctor's website, drproctor.com. I'll get into that in just a sec though.

In Dr. Proctor's years of practice, he states that topical spironolactone is "about as effective as finasteride". Topical spironolactone is applied twice a day. It effective as spironolactone for 3.97 hours, and by that time its turned into carneoic acid, a weaker anti-androgen, which is active for about four more hours.

So if you apply spironolactone twice a day, youre getting receptor blockage (and inhibiting testosterone synthesis during the "spironolactone" hours) for about 16 full hours.

Finasteride just blocks about 85-90 percent of type two alpha five reductase enzymes from being able to make DHT. These enzymes are located in your hair follicles, beard, and prostate. DHT gets quickly bound by globulin in the blood stream except for about one percent of it. The DHT that harms your hair is made right there in the outer root sheath of your hair follicle by the enzyme, and it falls to the receptor sites on the cytoplasm of the dermal papilla. Proctor states that after hair "becomes sensitive" to androgens, other androgens like androstenidione, DHEAS and testosterone may also enact the same genetic instructions when they are uptaken by receptor sites in the papilla.

Ive seen an experiment that shown that testosterone could make even donor hair miniaturize as well as DHT if you gave the donor hair "enough of it". Thats why sex-binding-hormone globulin levels are important (drink that green tea once a day and up it if you can). Men with low globulin, have a lot of extra "free" testosterone. Western diets build insulin resistance and we dont eat the soya with its phytosterols, the green tea, the fish (fish oils) and the rice (did you know that rice bran oil has the highest incidence of sterols of any foodstuff?---it aint close). Old Japanese diets had tons of this stuff plus lots of veggies which have some phytoestrogens and are anti-inflammatory also. THIS IS WHY the Japanese are balding so much more now. They are getting less globulin and more androgenic uptake in their skin and dermal units at younger ages. Baldness is a "low" process unless you possess the triplet repeat androgen receptor mutations that Docj077 talks about very strongly.

Back to anti-androgens.........................there was an androgen called RU58841 that was manufactured for a while by a pharmacuetical company in Europe, but they were bought out by another company. The new company considered cosmetic pharmacueticals "beneath" their mission, etc. So, they didn't produce it. However it was tested in animals to a very good response. Its just a receptor blocker. Will Brink, a life extension writer/bodybuilding writer, wrote about some of his wealthy aquaintences who had chemists bake batches of the stuff up for their personal usage. These are men to whom money isn't an object and were probably doing expensive things like proxiphen for their hair. They told Brink that the RU58841, a receptor blocker, was the best thing they ever used.

Ive seen an article way back that had Duke University researchers who declared that castration was "pretty much a way to stop further baldness". Apparently they had done this to balding apes. That sealed the deal to me, as the Hamilton info, as Bryan has stated, is out there on the internet, but in the medical lit is elusive.

However, we can pretty much tell that its true because of the varrying effectiveness of the drugs we do have for baldness. Dutasteride, which stops 98 percent of type two DHT and even 50 percdent of type one, is better than finasteride for baldness. When people add topical ketoconazale to finasteride, the two anti-androgens work better than one. Only something that blocked receptors completely like flutamide would be better.

In tests flutamide has been better. Its used in transexuals, and the STOP losing their hair (Ive read alot on that subject beacuse it relates to hair). However, flutamide even when used topically gets systemically abdorbed with awful side effect in males (no libido, gyno, no energy, diarreaha, stomach upset). I tried flutamide from lipoxidil for one week once. I felt like sh*t and couldn't lift my dick with a crowbar after three days. I had diarreaha somethin awful too. Its the best anti-androgen for your head hair though, no doubt.

Things that can get "some lost hair back" are copper peptides, and minoxidil, and latanaprosts. However, these are much better used with anti-androgens. The effect is much greater. Look in the hairloss photo gallery on this website and see Martin's picture. He did the "big three". Those are his one year results. They are drammatic. Bryans are pretty damn impressive on prox-n alone, with no anti-androgen to speak of.

I wish baldness was a microcapillary disorder or some such, and I know its associated with heart problems, insulin resistance, and a few other things. But if you look the inflammatory enzymes associated with the immuno attack in baldness are associated with those disorders also. Like PKC, TNF-alpha, TGF-beta (in alot of autoimmune disorders), IL-1.

If you read Proctors website (there really is only about three or four pages to read), you'll see whats up for the most part. The immuno attack on the follicles involves the cytokines involved above, negative dermal papilla growth factors and superoxides, and excessive collagen deposition and crosslinking of collagenous fibers and hardening of the connective tissue sheath, and microcapillary degeneration of the capillaries that feed the follicle. All this will stop if you block receptor sites for a while though. I think anti-androgens are important in an attempt to get good regrowth because they can stop further damage while one uses something like prox-n and minoxidil to remodel the skin, kick start the follicles. Something like emu would probably help also as it gives the peptides "skin" to work with in a sense. But in my opinion, stopping andorgenic uptake is essential until we figure out all the negative growth factors and how to counteract them in the papilla. (we know the dermal papilla uptakes androgens and releases negative growth factors to the rest of the follicle-----we just dont know all of the negative growth factors or what substances might couteract all of them). We know some thought................proantocyandiands from apples and barley and bromelain and curcumin and some green tea catechins can inhibit tgf beta, grape seed can inbibit PKC, ......external cytokines TNF alpha can be inhibited by borage oil , green tea, curcumin and a few other things, IL -1 can be inhibited by silica. Thats some progress. ITs being looked into.

Apparently when we are fetuses, as the skin grows upwards from the face over the head, the determination of which hairs will be androgen-sensitive is made for both males and females.....................thats the working theory in the scientific establishment at this point. There has been talk of being able to give mothers medications when they are pregnant that might inhibit this, but of course there might be risks to the childs sexual development etc. WE know pregnant moms cant have propecia for insatnce.......

Well, gotta go, Check out proctors site. Check out keratin.com and read McElwee too.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/86/6/2875

There is much evidence to suggest that male-pattern baldness develops under the influence of androgens. Hypogonadal men or those castrated before puberty do not become bald, but such men begin to lose their hair when treated chronically with testosterone (3, 4). Moreover, XY individuals with testicular feminization, who have nonfunctional AR but normal male levels of circulating testosterone, have a female phenotype and do not develop male-pattern baldness (5, 6).

abcdefg

Reaction score
If you were say just turning 25 and had very slow gradual hairloss with littlle family history and you wanted just to prevent hairloss without screwing anything up. What would you take? Theres tons of unproven things that might be good, and a few proven things that can screw up your body. I cant for the life of me decide on what I want to do. Do I start propecia and like tricomin? Do I take curcumin for tgf beta ? Do I take flutamide? theres just so many legitimate options or do I just let male pattern baldness go and wait for something really good?

bobmer

Established Member
Reaction score
I wish

I wish I can argue as good you guys do. But I can't. Even the author of this book says that his methods may not be effective for all.

But let me make this clear: I was one of the subjects in his experiments - the reason I know his methods work.

In his book he said the reason why there seems to be an autoimmune activity. To me it seemed logical. I can't say further than that because I will be giving away a critical part.

He never said that testosterone was not part of the mechanism. He only says that it is part of a much larger mechanism. He says (personally) that no one is yet totally right about hair loss until they find that which will prevent male pattern baldness in the large majority of men.

One of his focal points is: mental stress + ____ + ____ + androgens + ____ blood supply = hair loss. If one fails to address this or respond accordingly, testosterone will work against that person. I can't fill in those blanks :) But here's a tip: the proper response is being ____ by school and work environments or similar environments. (it's not something in the air) :)

We know that blood vessels are found to constrict with androgens and stress hormones - those are facts. That is perhaps the reaction that minoxidil prevents inspite of the company's 'duh... we don't know' attitude. Also, the reason minoxidil does not work for many because it addresses only a part of the mechanism. Propecia addresses another part. The author says that these drugs are addressing the mechanism in midstream that reason why one will be dependent on those for life.

Finding the root cause will make one rich. BUT he says the root cause is multi-faceted which is why the silver-bullet mentality of pharmacetuticals will never work as they do with viral or microbial diseases.

He even cited a piece of data released by NASA which he applied in reverse. Now that would seem outrageous unless you heard what he said. He would have needed a vertical MRI to acquire those data which he has no access to. There are very few vertical MRIs. (from personal conversation)

In spite of all the hype about androgens, we cannot ignore that fact that male pattern baldness associates with quite a large number of cardiovascular diseases or conditions. That makes hair loss a symptom rather than a cosmetic disorder.
Much of what i said came from there. I really know nothing.

Michael, I am selling. His books. It's just a one time buy $10. All non-pharmacological. No side effects. I can bet that the countermeasures there can't be found elsewhere. It's also fun reading because hair loss is being viewed from many angles. It was part of his studies - taking it from as many angles as available data would allow and finding faults or arguments.

He says (personally) that no one is yet totally right about hair loss until they find that which will prevent male pattern baldness in the large majority of men.

Let me just add that the author is not a doctor. He is a systems analyst and a trouble shooter in radio communications electronics. studying preventive medicine is his pass time. As a trouble shooter, finding faults is his forte. :)

michael barry

Reaction score
Bobmer wrote : "We know that blood vessels are found to constrict with androgens and stress hormones - those are facts"

Yes, the superoxides sent by the immune system at the follicle damage the living hell out of the microcapillaries that have to feed the follicle at the beginning of every anagen phase. Did you know those microcapillaries shrink up to about a fourth of their normal size when the follicle goes into a rest phase.

There are three phases in a hair cycle, anagen (growing stage, with eight substages), telogen (rest phase....hair is just sitting there), catagen (shed phase,..papilla gets small, migrates to the top of the dermis and awaits the stem cell instructions that come from both the arrector pilli muscle, which every hair on your body hair and the outer root sheath to migrate to the small papilla and give the stem cell dna instructs to begin to remake a follicle.

Its at this point that the micro capillaries shrivel up and get small naturally, if they are under attack by superoxides, the primary ageing agents in the human body, they might not be able to all re-enlarge at the beginning of the next anagen phase when the follicle attempts to dive deep in the dermis to feed it enough nutrition. A healthy hair follicle looks like it has a little forrest of capillaries under it feeding it blood, but as baldness progresses, the capillaries that "grow out" to reach the follicle are weak, and small and there are fewer of them. This is when collagen can appear under the follcle and block the downward migration of the follicle during the beginning of the next anagen phase, and when the connective tissue sheath around the follicle is really susceptible to the collagen inthe sheath having its fibers get hard and crosslink, blocking the "widening" of the papilla necessary for the hair root to get good and fat, making a big brand new hair. Instead you get an intermediate hair or even a vellus hair.

Researchers have found that in many cases only one intermediate hair might follow a big natural one when a man is receeding and then a vellus hair in the next cycle. Reviving vellus hairs is very hard to do. In some cases, one can go from a big anagen hair to a vellus hair in the very next cycle.

The heart disease link is probably because the PKC enzyme that grape seed extract, reservatrol, tocopherol and apple proanthocyandins can inbibit is a blood vessel "rebuilder" and nitric oxide releaser. When NO is released from the cell walls in the capillaries, they get rebuilt somewhat. The same degeneration that happens in peripheral arterial diseases and male pattern baldness probably looks alot alike.

THere have been five different genes found that have to do with baldness. Angela Christiano found four, and german researchers found one (the androgen receptor gene you get from Mom). Scientist speculate its how these genes interact that produce a bald head. These genes, if you get them, are also associated with other disorders in the body. Insulin resistance is associated with low globulin, meaning more free testosterone and more testosterone being produced by the adrenals period. Its no wonder long time diabetics are usually cue-balls. But some are not. There hair is jsut not sensitigve to male hormone.

Jose Canseco is the perfect guy for this exception. He's done roids for years. Big time. Has a full head of hair. His hair simply is ambivalent to male hormone.

Bryan has posted some of Sawaya's experiments where testosterone was added to male pattern baldness hairs in test tubes. They slow their growth, but grow normally without testosterone. Non-male pattern baldness hairs from the back of the head grow just fine wihout testosterone in test tubes, but scientists have found that if you add enough testosterone or DHT, they too will become "sensitive" to them and slow their growth.

There is much speculation on what causes the immuno attack. Microbials in the excessive sebum (doubtful), the expression of the negative growth factor TGF-beta (very interesting, a real possibility-----ask Docj077), or just the outnumbering of positive growth factors being secreted by the pappilla by negative growth factors being secreted by the papilla.

We do know this, T_cells, that travel the body in search of foreign substances to atttack from the immune sysmtem, cluster around the male pattern baldness follicles, seemingly "marking" them for attack in greater numbers than usual.

Hideo Uno's HISTOPATHOLOGY OF HAIRLOSS and Peter Proctors website are excellent places to learn about what scientist have seen under microscopes when studying baldness.

michael barry

Reaction score
abcdefg,

Rotate nizoral shampoo with NANO shampoo for now,

take pictures a day before you start.

and take pictures 365 days from that start date. I think you will be very happy.

bobmer

Established Member
Reaction score
“We scientists believed that our strengths, such as artistic or intellectual abilities, and our weaknesses, such as cardiovascular disease, cancer or depression, represented traits that were preprogrammed into our genes. Hence I perceived life’s attributes and deficits, as well as our health and our frailties as merely a reflection of our heredity expression.
“Until recently, it was thought that genes were self-actualizing - that genes could ‘turn themselves on and off.’ Such behavior is required in order for genes to control biology. Though the power of genes is still emphasized in current biology courses and textbooks, a radically new understanding has emerged at the leading edge of cell science. It is now recognized that the environment, and more specifically, our perception (interpretation) of the environment, directly controls the activity of our genes. The environment controls gene activity through a process known as epigenetic control (epigenetics).â€￾ – Bruce Lipton, Ph.D. Cellular Biologist

The results of Human Genome project was a slap on the face of many geneticists. It turned out that humans have only 25,000 genes. A microscopic ring worn has 18,000 while a more complex fruit fly has only 10,000. The results of the genome project alone should put geneticists a hundred years backwards. Gene theraphy was going in the wrong direction all along.

Single genes or even a combination of these cannot be responsible for many diseases. This includes hair loss assuming that hair loss is a disease or even a symptom. The wayward activity of genes is influenced by the environment. social, food, physical, work. The wayward acitivity of the immune system and other disorders are influenced by the environment.

In a personal conversation, he likened genes to computer memory chips. These cannot act on their own without a processor. A processor is influenced by the interface (environment). In the book he replaced androgenetics with andro+adverse environment. later he replaced androgens with stress. hence stress+adverse environment. Stress is induced by social environments or how one reacts to these. Stress involves stress hormones.

Later it ended with social environment+physical environement=hair loss
He identified this physical environment as the worst invention man has ever made. You'll be surprised to know what that is. It's actually a thing that you can touch and see everyday. I couldnt believe it myself, I had to check with my grandmother to find out that this did not exist in non-caucasian cultures before industrialization. (By the way, we are Asians)

docj077

Reaction score
bobmer said:
“We scientists believed that our strengths, such as artistic or intellectual abilities, and our weaknesses, such as cardiovascular disease, cancer or depression, represented traits that were preprogrammed into our genes. Hence I perceived life’s attributes and deficits, as well as our health and our frailties as merely a reflection of our heredity expression.
“Until recently, it was thought that genes were self-actualizing - that genes could ‘turn themselves on and off.’ Such behavior is required in order for genes to control biology. Though the power of genes is still emphasized in current biology courses and textbooks, a radically new understanding has emerged at the leading edge of cell science. It is now recognized that the environment, and more specifically, our perception (interpretation) of the environment, directly controls the activity of our genes. The environment controls gene activity through a process known as epigenetic control (epigenetics).â€￾ – Bruce Lipton, Ph.D. Cellular Biologist

The results of Human Genome project was a slap on the face of many geneticists. It turned out that humans have only 25,000 genes. A microscopic ring worn has 18,000 while a more complex fruit fly has only 10,000. The results of the genome project alone should put geneticists a hundred years backwards. Gene theraphy was going in the wrong direction all along.

Single genes or even a combination of these cannot be responsible for many diseases. This includes hair loss assuming that hair loss is a diseases or even a symptom. The wayward activity of genes is influenced by the environment. social, food, physical, work. The wayward acitivity of the immune system and other disorders are influenced by the environment.

In a personal conversation, he likened genes to computer memory chips. These cannot act on their own without a processor. A processor is influenced by the interface (environment). In the book he replaced androgenetics with andro+adverse environment. later he replaced androgens with stress. hence stress+adverse environment. Stress is induced by social environments or how one reacts to these. Stress involves stress hormones.

Later it ended with social environment+physical environement=hair loss
He identified this physical environment as the worst invention man has ever made. You'll be surprised to know what that is. It's actually a thing that you can touch and see everyday. I couldnt believe it myself, I had to check with my grandmother to find out that this did not exist in non-caucasian cultures before industrialization. (By the way, we are Asians)

The human genome project was a success on all levels. Humanity has just the right number of genes. It's gene regulation that controls the expression of genes. Post-transcriptional and translation modifications combined with silencer and enhancer elements within the genome make the human genome appear as though it contains hundreds of thousands of genes. That is why the human genome project has been a success. It has helped humanity to identity these silencer and enhancer elements within the genome that assist with the upregulation and downregulation of gene transcription.

Also, unless your grandmother is over 150 years old, there is no way that she would know what happened before industrialization and the Industrial revolution.

bobmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, in Europe and the USA. Industrialization in our country began after world war II :) In other countries anywhere between 150 and 50 years ago.

What is epigenetics? It is a science that is gaining wide support in the last few years and first proposed in 1940. It challenges current medical beliefs in DNA, inheritance and gene expression. Epigenetics states that the environment can modify gene expression – to silence or to express certain traits without changing the DNA sequence It is the reason whyenvironmental factors are often found in progressive diseases. It is also the reason why supposed "disease causing genes" could not be found in progressive diseases. True defective genes are not being questioned here. True defective genes act like switches - it's either you have it or you don't. MBP is a progressive disorder. Progressive disorders means that a person a being subjected to subtle advers environmental factors.

bobmer

Established Member
Reaction score
I wish I can say what this thing is that did not exist in non-caucasian countries before 'their' industrialization. In extreme cases, he says, a male with a weak biochemical or neurological support mechanism will suffer hair loss with just this 'environmental' piece. In some men, this will have to be aggravated by stress and male hormones without the appropriate countermeasure.

But here is a tip: It' just there all the time. You use it, off and on, often for a total of several hours a day. :)

This book is none other that anyone has read, I guess. No drugs, no topical application, just two paragraphs about diet. Everything else is argued then leads to why physiological countermeasures are needed. (There are two. resting and active) Those countermeasures are the way men should respond in certain situations in the primal environment. Those responces or countermeasures will negate the effects of stress and male hormone and other adverse effects. These are needed or expected by the physiology of men in those situations. Those specific situations are identified in the book.

In a personal conversation, he says the counermeasure may even supplement working drugs and topical applications. I just hope I'm not giving away too much of the book's contents or the author will zapp me into oblivion.:)

http://unraveled.bravehost.com/

docj077

Reaction score
bobmer said:
Yes, in Europe and the USA. Industrialization in our country began after world war II :) In other countries anywhere between 150 and 50 years ago.

What is epigenetics? It is a science that is gaining wide support in the last few years and first proposed in 1940. It challenges current medical beliefs in DNA, inheritance and gene expression. Epigenetics states that the environment can modify gene expression – to silence or to express certain traits without changing the DNA sequence It is the reason whyenvironmental factors are often found in progressive diseases. It is also the reason why supposed "disease causing genes" could not be found in progressive diseases. True defective genes are not being questioned here.

I hope you are aware that the nature vs. nurture debate has been going on for generations? Gene regulation is not a new scientific discovery. Not even close.

Gene regulation can control how genes are expressed, which means that it can control how much or how little they are expressed. Gene regulation does not change the genetic code of a gene and cause it to code for an entirely different genotype or phenotype. The end result of gene regulation is an increase or a decrease in the production of a specific protein from a specific gene. The result is NOT a different protein product all together. This means that you can decrease or increase the expression of a particular phenotype, but you can not change to a different phenotype. If your genetics (a triplet repeat mutation in the androgen receptor gene on the x chromosome) say that you will go bald, then YOU ARE DOOMED TO GO BALD unless you decrease the expression of that gene or you decrease all downstream signaling molecules that eventually lead hair loss.

Anyone that says otherwise is a crappy biochemist.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenotypic_plasticity

The ability of an organism with a given genotype to change its phenotype in response to changes in the environment is called phenotypic plasticity. Such plasticity in some cases expresses as several highly morphologically distinct results; in other cases, a continuous norm of reaction describes the functional interrelationship of a range of environments to a range of phenotypes. The term was originally conceived in the context of development, but is now more broadly applied to include changes that occur during the adult life of an organism, such as behaviour.

[...]

A highly illustrative example of phenotypic plasticity is found in the social insects, colonies of which depend on the division of their members into distinct castes, such as workers and guards. These two castes differ dramatically in appearance and behaviour. However, these differences are not genetic; they arise during development and depend on the manner of treatment of the eggs by the queen and the workers, who manipulate such factors as embryonic diet and incubation temperature. The genome of each individual contains all the instructions needed to develop into any one of several 'morphs', but only the genes that form part of one developmental program are activated.

bobmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Nope am not aware of any of these. Am not into medicine or any related profession. I suppose you are a doctor. I'll take the information you provided into my head just as I did with what I've read before. I will not cast doubt into it just as I don't with Dr. Lipton's statement. I will beg for your patience because i will argue like a kid will to a teacher.

So what gene regulation is saying that diabetes, known to be hereditary, will manifest regardless? Some genticists look at these expressions as ON and OFF switches.

An article in CNN says of a finding that diabetics could forego their medical treatments so long as they eat various kinds of vegetables and plenty of it. Food intake forms part the an organism's environment, if i'm not mistaken; it also means that if these diabetics had increased these food stuffs in their diet before, it could have prevented the disease from manifesting.

Here is another tip: The countermeasures in the book are the way prehistoric men should have responded in certain situations.

I only know one thing. This book is doing wonders for me without the drugs and topicals. We don't know if it's a placebo effect because the subjects that have been involved in the author's experiments are very few.

Hey ripleys. believe it or not. :)

bobmer

Established Member
Reaction score
These two castes differ dramatically in appearance and behaviour. However, these differences are not genetic; they arise during development and depend on the manner of treatment of the eggs by the queen and the workers, who manipulate such factors as embryonic diet and incubation temperature.

They are genetically 'identical'. The embrynic diet, the temperature including the treatment of the eggs by the worker and queen are all environments of the egg. Change the temperature, change the diet, the egg could die or end up producing something smaller or malformed or bald bee :) or something that could be predicted if a study is done, is that right? That means the environment plays a huge part in gene expression.

I now know why I'm, susceptible! My mother wasn't eating the right food stuffs when I was still an embryo!! :jumpy:

docj077

Reaction score
wookster said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenotypic_plasticity

The ability of an organism with a given genotype to change its phenotype in response to changes in the environment is called phenotypic plasticity. Such plasticity in some cases expresses as several highly morphologically distinct results; in other cases, a continuous norm of reaction describes the functional interrelationship of a range of environments to a range of phenotypes. The term was originally conceived in the context of development, but is now more broadly applied to include changes that occur during the adult life of an organism, such as behaviour.

[...]

A highly illustrative example of phenotypic plasticity is found in the social insects, colonies of which depend on the division of their members into distinct castes, such as workers and guards. These two castes differ dramatically in appearance and behaviour. However, these differences are not genetic; they arise during development and depend on the manner of treatment of the eggs by the queen and the workers, who manipulate such factors as embryonic diet and incubation temperature. The genome of each individual contains all the instructions needed to develop into any one of several 'morphs', but only the genes that form part of one developmental program are activated.

You always leave out the most important parts of articles when you post them...

"Organisms of fixed genotype may differ in the amount of phenotypic plasticity they display when exposed to the same environmental change. Hence phenotypic plasticity can evolve and be adaptive if fitness is increased by changing phenotype. Immobile organisms such as plants have well developed phenotypic plasticity giving a clue to the adaptive significance of plasticity."

As I said, you maintain a single genotype that allows you express a particular phenotype. The expression of that particular phenotype can be upregulated or downregulated depending upon the regulatory factors that impact that gene. You can not change the anatomical phenotype all together when you use a single original genotype. Once you do that the end result is a new species. You must use different genotypes coded for by different genes inorder to get completely different morphological outcomes.

Also, that example of phenotypic plasticity through the examination of behavior doesn't explain this very well. The genes that code for one phenotype are downregulated and the genes that code for another phenotype are upregulated based upon what occurs during their development. There is no "post embryonic" phenotype switch, so just like with a human fetus the environmental factors that really matter are the factors that the fetus is exposed to in the womb.