Has Anyone Ever Had Hair Loss Due To Flaky Scalp?

Jane123

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm wondering if this could possibly be the cause of my hair loss. I've looked it up and have gotten different results; some sites say dandruff only causes hair loss if you scratch, other sites say it can lead to hair loss regardless so I'm not sure what to believe. The reason I ask is because some hairs come out very easily and they all have a piece of dandruff attached to the end. It seems like the dandruff is not letting them stay on the scalp. My derma said she doesn't think the loss is caused by a scalp condition, but I don't understand why this is happening. Has anyone here ever had this issue and if so, was this the cause of your hair loss or was it just some side effect? Thank you.

LusciousLadyLocks

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dandruff increases as hair loss occurs because the hair follicle is downregulated and the oil gland is upregulated. Addressing the oil and dandruff does little to help hair loss. However, the shampoo Nizoral can increase hair growth.

I recommend Minoxidil 5% once a day at first and later twice a day, as you adjust, and Nizoral 3x/wk as a starting place. Huge amounts of my hair grew back from that.

shypie789

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I was losing my hair I was facing flakes in my hair, dry hair but an oily scalp at times? And very brittle hair. I talk about my story on my profile. Click on my name and then click on my profile then click on postings and you'll see my post. Please to let me know if you have any questions. I would absolutely love to help you because I understand how horrible it must feel.

VJ6

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm wondering if this could possibly be the cause of my hair loss. I've looked it up and have gotten different results; some sites say dandruff only causes hair loss if you scratch, other sites say it can lead to hair loss regardless so I'm not sure what to believe. The reason I ask is because some hairs come out very easily and they all have a piece of dandruff attached to the end. It seems like the dandruff is not letting them stay on the scalp. My derma said she doesn't think the loss is caused by a scalp condition, but I don't understand why this is happening. Has anyone here ever had this issue and if so, was this the cause of your hair loss or was it just some side effect? Thank you.
HI Jane123,

Have you found a solution? I have had the same problem, dry brittle hair, oily/tchy scalp for almost 5 months now and it has messed up my hair completely. It coincided with my use of lasercap for hair growth so I have been pinning it as a side effect of lasercap. But now I'm not really sure, because no lllt user has reported this apparently (!!!). It could be contact dermatitis from shampoos because some shampoos leave my hair so dry that my scalp feels tight after wash. I'm going nuts trying to figure out what's causing this because these products did not cause these issues before.

Charlotte BAMbeautiful

My Regimen
Reaction score
Making sure to exfoliate the scalp with a dedicated scalp product is important for the health of our hair in general.

Charlotte BAMbeautiful

My Regimen
Reaction score
HI Jane123,

Have you found a solution? I have had the same problem, dry brittle hair, oily/tchy scalp for almost 5 months now and it has messed up my hair completely. It coincided with my use of lasercap for hair growth so I have been pinning it as a side effect of lasercap. But now I'm not really sure, because no lllt user has reported this apparently (!!!). It could be contact dermatitis from shampoos because some shampoos leave my hair so dry that my scalp feels tight after wash. I'm going nuts trying to figure out what's causing this because these products did not cause these issues before.
Would you be interested in trying out some of our products? Our hero product is a scalp tonic. We could send you a few products to try and if you like it we would love to hear your feedback in the form of a review. We are called BAMbeautiful.Check us out online.

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oily scalp can lead to clogged hair follicles and hair loss. My hair started getting greasier than usual, my scalp more flaky, itchy and red. My hairline started to recede on the left side but not on the ride. I got really worried and this caused me so much anxiety. Fortunately the recession remained very mild. I made some drastic changes in my lifestyle and now I see my hairline is growing back. NOTHING can stop the greasiness and itching unless apple cider vinegar. I rinsed my hair with apple cider vinegar just once and my scalp stopped itching and paining and my hair looks thicker and less greasy.
I thought my hair is slightly thinning ( I still have some mild frontal thinning) But it was just greasy AF.

VJ6

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oily scalp can lead to clogged hair follicles and hair loss. My hair started getting greasier than usual, my scalp more flaky, itchy and red. My hairline started to recede on the left side but not on the ride. I got really worried and this caused me so much anxiety. Fortunately the recession remained very mild. I made some drastic changes in my lifestyle and now I see my hairline is growing back. NOTHING can stop the greasiness and itching unless apple cider vinegar. I rinsed my hair with apple cider vinegar just once and my scalp stopped itching and paining and my hair looks thicker and less greasy.
I thought my hair is slightly thinning ( I still have some mild frontal thinning) But it was just greasy AF.[/QUOT

Hi Mitko1, what lifestyle changes did you make?

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started drinking more water, eating pumpkin seeds on a daily basis, head stands for 30 seconds everyday and sometimes fingernails yoga. Lately I started massaging my scalp. Reduced drastically junk food. Now am about to start drinking chamomile tea, applying onion juice mixed with garlic and apple cider vinegar and rosemary oil. I plan to quit using shampoos completely and wash my hair only with egg yolks. I already washes my hair two times and it feels much better.
I always wanted to have healthy hair but this goal would be hard to achieve for me. I have dandruff and oily scalp and very sensitive akin since as long as I remember. Last three months were devastating for me.
My hair would get insanely greasy just 2 days after wash. My ocipital area was painully inflamed. I still shed thin and weak hairs from the sides of my head which is scary AF.
I didn't care about my dandruff and greasy hair until it has gotten significantly worse. I moved to another city with much colder climate i hadn't got used to, I was more stressed out and I ate plenty of junk food(potato chips, dorittos,) I used to drink less than a liter of later a day. I had insomnia too and couldn't sleep.
I caught very bad flu, from which I needed three weeks to recover. After that flue all of this started.
My grandfather on father's side is 96 year old and enjoyed thick and healthy hair his whole life and still has Norwood 0 hairline with no temporal recession and still very good hair density for his age. Sadly, he couldn't pass his genes to me, I took mom's genes. She has very oily scalp and her hair is greasy all the time and sometimes flaky. I think it's my sensitive skin that makes things worse for me. I don't know which family member "gifted" it to me though.

The whole story (optional to read)
I first noticed that after bath that my hair is bristle and still greasy which was unusual. A week after I noticed that my head is itching and increased shedding. I pulled out 40 hairs combing my hair with my fingers, predominantly from the front on the left side. And then my itching and greasiness worsened. I felt like my hair is thinning and I had nightmares that I am completely bald on top.
I thought everything was fine until I noticed that my left temple is slightly recessed. I was shocked. Two weeks ago the left temple looked just like the other. I got very anxious and self conscious about it.
My mom checked my scalp and told me that I have sebboreic dermatitis. She told me to stop using head and shoulders because it is very strong and full of chemicals and we bought together medical shampoos. The medical shampoos unfortunately did very mild improvement. The shedding stopped. When I was doing my hair in the morning with fingers there were only two to six hairs. The inching and the flakes continued getting worse.
I was doing fingernails yoga like crazy but I didn't see any improvement. I checked plenty of videos and articles how to stop hair loss naturally and I decided to apply all I learned on me. Started drinking plenty of water, - still nothing. I read that pumpkin seeds are rich iron, zinc and biotin - the essential nutrients hair needs, started eating them, got addicted to them but... still nothing. And the final thing I decided to try is to stop junk food almost completely and doing head stands. Of course I continued all the other stuff. And just three days later of my first head stand i saw my temple is filling with hairs . I noticed hairs plenty of new hairs below my hairline too. I was really happy and immediately became less self conscious about this. About the itching and greasiness I tried to wash my hair with egg yolks but still no improment for the greasiness came. The good was that the itching improved and now massaging my scalp doesn't hurt anymore and can do this since. And finally I tried apple cider vinegar and it did wonders with the first application and I am hoping with great long term results. My goal for next months is to regrow my hairline and thinning spots completely, to make my hair as shiny and healthy as possible and to reduce flakes to minimum and the inching and inflammation completely.

Charlotte BAMbeautiful

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought my hair is slightly thinning ( I still have some mild frontal thinning) But it was just greasy AF.
Sometimes a build-up of excess product or skin can cause an itchy flaky scalp that can scupper hair growth. The best thing to do would be to try and make sure you are taking care of your scalp using a scalp tonic or foam - which will help exfoliate and cleanse.