Harist's Story - ( 25 /pics included!)

harist

Reaction score
Hello my name is Haris and I am from Greece

I am 25 now and I started losing hair at 18, in my last year in high school
At first when I noticed it I got panicked, but my parents at that time assured me that it was something temporary due to exam anxiety and stress and that after exams it will stop and new hair will come out.
After of couple of months when the above of course did not happened I visited a dermatologist
He conscripted me with some topical solutions such as Lovillon Plus (if you know it) which practically didn’t do anything and some multivitamins as well.

A few months later I was still loosing hair more rapidly even as university student now (no exam anxiety anymore) so I visited another dermatologist (still until now my dermatologist) and he gave me Rogaine 5% at once and some sebum regulating shampoos because except from hair loss I had a lot of dandruff and an extremely oily scalp (in general I have a very oily skin)
Since then (summer of 2000) I pretty much did that with some 3-month breaks on minoxidil in order to try some other products such as dercos etc
Except from the first year of use of Rogaine my hair loss never really stopped
I was completely desperate and disappointed; I thought there was nothing I could do
I watched day by day myself going bald and that utterly destroyed my self esteem , my self confidence and my psychological well being!

Seven months ago I could not take any more I had reached almost Norwood 6
So I decided to do a hair transplant (April 2005)
So I did one
I paid almost 4000 euro but the transplant was great
A lot of hairs were transplanted to me successfully
My front part of the head was adequately filled (I think I would like your opinions from my photos)
Although due to my situation (almost NW6) full coverage of the bald area was out of the question!

Now I m in a turmoil
I don not know what to do
Despite of the transplant being great I am still not happy about my head’s appearance
As I see my scalp I believe that my hair loss pattern is leading me to Norwood 7
The above was confirmed few days ago by both my dermatologist and my surgeon who did my hair transplant
My derm strongly suggested propeccia at once while the surg told that propeccia side effects are very dangerous (he spoke about gyno, lifetime reduced sex drive, liver and/or kidneys cancer etc….) and I that I only should consider a second or even a third transplant
(Both doctors are now my friends so money is not an issue for them)

I have to note at this point that I stopped Rogaine for about 3 months before and 3 months after my hair transplant
So I am no the regimen you are looking for a about 3 months now
I can say that my hair look better in comparison with the previous years that I ve been using only Rogaine 5% and some strengthening shampoos.

My dandruff is almost gone, my scalp is less oily but hair loss is still happening (I try not to count hair for psychological reasons) and of course re growth is something I do not see anymore!

I do not know if my current regimen will be able to stop hair loss let alone cause some regrowth.
I also do not know if at my case even for finasteride is too late for regrowth
And also I am very afraid of the possible sides (I myself have red on the internet some pretty horrifying stories)

My goal is to stop if possible the hair loss and perhaps have some re growth
If regrowth is not possible at least stop hair loss so I can proceed in a second hair transplant in order to improve my heads appearance!

My current regimen is:
1x day 5% minoxidil diluted with follicare natural spray due to my large thinning area I must at least use 5ml
I consume like 60 ml of Rogaine every 15 days
1x day super hair energizer (ferm –T) I like this product although I do not think it does much
1x day folligen solution therapy spray
1x day Aloe Vera and B5, keratin spray
Follicare nutrition supplement 2 capsules every day
Foltene strengthening, extra mild and sebum regulating shampoo

At this point I am also considering:
Crinagen
Procerin
Revivogen
NizoraL 2%
spironolactone 5%

Dr Lee’s 15% minoxidil and azelaic acid
And topical finasteride which I am really searching all there is about it.

Unfortunately I do not have yet any pics prior to my hair transplant
However in these pics you can see my current condition

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/spartangr01/my_photos

And click on: my hair

Please excuse me for my poor english

Thank you in advance and any help and advice is really more than welcomed.
I am quite worried and in bad need of any good advice!!

SE-freak

Reaction score
finasterideasteride finasterideasteride finasterideasteride.

Any amount of regrowth will significantly boost the cosmetic level of your transplant results.

No need to consider Nizoral(Fungoral for us). Go to the local chemist's buy it, and start using thrice per week.

(Greeks are slowly taking over the place... :eplus2:)

Lopfraze

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah man. Propecia (aka finasteride) is the way forward.

It should slow down your loss, and it could well help to fill in that crown of yours.

Get some more medical opinion/research before you just rely on the opinion of your transplant doctor. If he's wrong, then your blowing off a good treatment for nothing.

jeffsss

Reaction score
you need an inhibitor my friend. finasteride = your friend.

you can get estrogen blockers if your worried about gyno.. the other sides are temporary.

would you give up sex for 2 weeks to keep your hair for life?? i'd think so.

SE-freak

Reaction score
No need for estrogen blockers and "no sex warnings".

My libido never went down and it is very unlikely to experience sides.

harist

Reaction score
thanx

thank you all for the repplies
i guess finasteride is the only way !!!

but i am not sure if in my case it would give any regrowth??

i posted some more pics of mine from a different angle and a different hair style

please give it a look and tell me your opinion

thank you

SE-freak

Reaction score
No, I believe that finasteride could certainly give you some extra growth which even vellus, would add a flattering background for your transplanted terminals.

The angiogenesis caused by your transplanted terminals, will help boost the growth of surrounded miniaturized follicles too.

I say go.

harist

Reaction score
I can't really add anything more than just to say that it must have really been an arse to have lost your hair so early

you can not be more right my friend!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

jeffsss

Reaction score
I can't belive your 25 and have lost soo much hair :(

I guess since you opted to get a hair transplant there's no turning back and buzzing your hair.

in your photos it looks as if your hair could be damp? or is it dry?

I dont know what to say other than i feel real bad for you man.

Lopfraze

Established Member
Reaction score
jeffsss said:

I guess since you opted to get a hair transplant there's no turning back and buzzing your hair.

I know you don't mean anything bad by it, but I don't think that kind of post really helps anyone.

Yes, he clearly is suffering from male pattern baldness, and at a young age, but there's still plenty he can do about it.

jeffsss

Reaction score
askas said:
Lopfraze said:
jeffsss said:

I know you don't mean anything bad by it, but I don't think that kind of post really helps anyone.

Yes, he clearly is suffering from male pattern baldness, and at a young age, but there's still plenty he can do about it.

He is a joker,you dont understand?he says the worst he can,its a joke)so the man either will laugh or cry.

I'm a joker?

I'm not being sarcastic or being a d!ck or anything of the sort. I truely feel bad for this guy. I don't know what else to say.
if this were some 50 year olds head i wouldnt have even responded, but this guy is my age, and for seom reason it really hits close to home..
I'm glad your taking the steps to make it better! best of luck to you bro.

harist

Reaction score
thank you all for your replies!!!

I forgot to mention that my hair in all the pictures are wet
I also took some of them right after some minoxidil+follicare application!

I will soon post some new ones showing my hair dry!

you have nothing to lose if you use finasteride.Side effects are for 5 mg,not for 1.They are quite rare.And I would suggest add minoxidil too.
Then wait for 2 years,and then decide whether to make one more hair transplant.
Your hair is good in frontal side,so the problem is back imo.

I will probably start propeccia in a couple of months
Meanwhile I am going to add revivogen and corvinex to my regimen and see how it goes!!
I am waiting for them in mail

A second hair transplant is in order in 1.5-2 years!!

I know I am probably one of the worst cases of male pattern baldness but what I can do!!
I WILL fight it the best way I can!!!

Sometimes I consider myself even lucky
because I know a guy who is in the same condition with me maybe worst
but not only he caint afford a hair transplant but not even the proper medication to treat his male pattern baldness

so..................
Keep walking

Lopfraze

Established Member
Reaction score
You've got a great attitude.

Good luck with it.

harist

Reaction score
Lopfraze and askas
thank you guys for your nice words
wish best of luck to both of you!!!!
also I would like to thank my fellow patriot SE-freak for his advises
eyxaristo adrea

now a question:

do you think i should add anything else in my regimen (except for finasteride) or maybe drop anything

I am currently two months on this regimen,
hairloss (I think) has slowed down a bit
for example last night i showered, there were only 4-5 hairs in my both hands after a minute of soft scalp massage!!

but my overall head image hasnt changed a bit
sometimes even i think it gotten worst
i do not know if it is a phycological effect though
when my mood is bad my head also seems awfull
when for example I come back home after being out with my girlfriend my hair seem to me much more improved!
I am gonna wait a couple of months to pass and take some more pics
I hope I shall see some (even tiny) improvement!

anyway hope that revivogen+crinagen will help me a bit until cavarly arrives(propeccia)

excuse me for my poor english
best regards :)

harist

Reaction score
well no answer whatsoever

anyway
this is an update i just dropped follicare regrowth system (for Now)
and started Revivogen + Corvinex

so lets see how it goes

I am going to give this regimen at least 2-3 months
and if I experience no improvement I will try finasteride (propeccia)

Also I am trying as of next week 3000mg of msm daily

wish me luck

cook'n'milkies

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just added MSM to my regimen too. I've heard that it will help hair grow stronger, fuller, and faster. I've heard it helps minoxidil hair turn terminal sooner too. Good call I think! Keep us updated.

jokoj

Reaction score
Harist:

Obviously you do not know me, nor do I pretend to know you or absolutely understand your personal hair loss problems. However, being what I call a "veteran of the hair loss wars" and most likely significantly older than most on this forum (41), as well as having spent an inordinate (some might claim ridiculous..) amount of time researching hair loss plus having had the fun of grilling two knowledgable, extremely reputable doctors involved in the field about the same, I give myself credit for having somewhat of a clue when it comes to this subject. Do I pretend to have all the answers? Hell no. Is my intent to maybe save you some time, $$, and heartache over the next several decades - or at least until they figure out how to "clone" hair follicles? Yes.

Anyway, here are a few thoughts. take them for what they're worth:

1) Re your hair transplant surgeon, I know that you said he was your friend, however, his comments regarding Propecia smack of self serving bullshit and imo are doing you a great disservice. Merck has done, and continues to do, studies on finasteride and to date there is absolutely no indication that it will harm your internal organs. None. In addition, the sexual side effects that he said you would have "for life" showed themselves in something like 2% (you can easily look this up) of men in their control group and for the majority this was short term. FYI, the placebo group also had a, albeit lesser, sexual side effect response. You need to get on either this, or dutasteride (Avodart or generic), asap in order to keep what you have. Should the newness of dutasteride put you off, go with Propecia or a generic finasteride. Either way, get on it.

2) Is your surgeon doing follicular unit transplants or the old style minigrafts? If he tells you they're the same, run. From someone who's had both, in the hands of a good surgeon, there's no comparison. Kind of like comparing a Honda Accord with a Ferrari. There are only two real reasons he wouldn't do them; 1) No training (not good) or 2) Too time consuming, i.e. less money for him (even worse). A bad hair surgeon will eat up your doner hair like Homer eating doughnuts. Be aware.

3) Your treatment program, while certainly comprehensive, borders on overkill with a good measure of snake oil thrown in as well. Let's review (my comments in blue

- 1x day 5% minoxidil diluted with follicare natural spray due to my large thinning area I must at least use 5ml. I consume like 60 ml of Rogaine every 15 days. Why are you diluting a proven substance with an unproven one? Strange. I put "Follicare" in the snake oil category. In addition, this is a lot of minoxidil. If you tolerate it ok, fine...just be careful.

1x day super hair energizer (ferm –T) I like this product although I do not think it does much. Snake oil and a waste of money.

1x day folligen solution therapy spray. Good. There is clinical evidence to back up the use of copper peptides as a growth stimulant. The inventor, Dr. Loren Pickart, claims anti-DHT properties as well, but this is disputed. Another positive about Folligen (or other copper peptides is that they can relieve irritation from minoxidil use.

1x day Aloe Vera and B5, keratin spray. Aloe probably helps with any minoxidil irritation as well, but it and the others aren't doing anything to grow hair.

Follicare nutrition supplement 2 capsules every day. Crap and a waste of money.

Foltene strengthening, extra mild and sebum regulating shampoo. Crap and a waste of $$. Instead try Nizoral 1% or 2% which actually can help a bit, rotating it with another shampoo like Folligen. Here's a cheap place to get Folligen shampoo http://stores.ebay.com/Healthy-Complexion They buy it direct from Dr. Pickart at Skin Biology, repackage it, and sell it for considerably less (when you include shipping).

At this point I am also considering:

Crinagen Crap

Revivogen Basically expensive minoxidil. Why?

NizoraL 2% Good. See above.

spironolactone 5% Can't really comment. It's one thing I haven't read up on enough. Dr. Lee seems to think highly of it, but others dismiss it as unproven. Your call.

MSM Reputed to increase the rate of growth. I've come across a study or two and although esentially unproven, there was enough there to convince me to give it a try. Besides, it's cheap and has no side effects.

Corvinex Bullshit alert: their website mixes fact (DHT causes hair loss) with wild claims (blocks DHT, regrows hair). It's basically a very expensive multivitamin with Saw Palmetto - a very unproven hair loss remedy.

So what's the answer? As I said, I don't claim to have it, nor do I really think anyone really does 100%. However, I believe in going with the proven, pushing the envelope a bit when necessary, and seeking out the best I can afford. Here's the short list:

1) 5% minoxidil (or 12%, etc) 2 x per day

2) An antiandrogen, Propecia (finasteride) or Avodart (dutasteride). Generics are cheaper.

3) 2% Nizoral every other day

4) Copper Peptide lotion or solution. I prefer Folligen.

5) Follicular unit hair transplants.

Full disclosure: in addition to the above I take 3000mg of MSM as well as a daily multivitamin.

Good luck and feel free to email me at packaging@nc.rr.com with any questions.

Jay

harist

Reaction score
First of all thank you Jay for your reply
I really aprecciate it

However, being what I call a "veteran of the hair loss wars" and most likely significantly older than most on this forum (41), as well as having spent an inordinate (some might claim ridiculous..) amount of time researching hair loss plus having had the fun of grilling two knowledgable, extremely reputable doctors involved in the field about the same, I give myself credit for having somewhat of a clue when it comes to this subject

your experience in the matter is absolutely respected

You know, you are right

I did in the past many mistakes with my regimens

I now come to understand and I agree with you

if you see my last post before yours you can see I changed a lot of things

my current regimen as of December first is:

Minoxidil 5% 2X a day (regaine+kirkland) (some days though apply it only once due to various reasons see Toppik, trying to correct that)

Corvinex 3X a day
I bought a 3 month supply will finish it
promising ingredients

Revivogen 1X a day
DhT inhibitor, nothing to do with minoxidil
also 3- month supply

Super Hair Energizer (ferm -t) 5-6X a week, usually a couple of hours after minoxidil application
I know its a scam will use untill it runs out
at least smells nice,and i think it dries a bit my oily scalp (which gets worst after i put on minoxidil)

Aloe vera gel+ keratin spray 5-6X a week, usually after shower+shampooing
I know it doesnt help much but makes my hair and scalp feel good
also smells nice

Folligen natual spray 5X a week
usually after showering+shampooing
great stuff
my hair a lot thicker
I cant tell about regrowth yet

Shampoo rotation:

Nizoral 2% (fungoral here in Greece) 3X a week

Alphactiff cleansing shampoo (with salicylic acid, like T-sal)

Revivogen cleansing shampoo (claiming to remove scalp dht-sebum will give it a try)

Foltene extra mild shampoo (really mild shampoo)

Foltene sebum regullating shampoo

Toppik system whenever i feel like it
makes my head perfect
hair loss completely unnoticable to others and pretty natural look too
i use quite a lot though
and it sometimes forces me to alter my regimen
but you can not have it all can you?

Jay I will probaply start propeccia in 2-3 months
just want to give topical a last shot
I am as a person quite uncomfortable with oral drugs
but i know its a very effctive weapon against hair loss

Is your surgeon doing follicular unit transplants or the old style minigrafts? If he tells you they're the same, run. From someone who's had both, in the hands of a good surgeon, there's no comparison. Kind of like comparing a Honda Accord with a Ferrari. There are only two real reasons he wouldn't do them; 1) No training (not good) or 2) Too time consuming, i.e. less money for him (even worse). A bad hair surgeon will eat up your doner hair like Homer eating doughnuts. Be aware.

Yes my surgeon did to me FIT-grafts as they call it here in Greece
practically Follicular Unit Transplants
I did my hair transplant at Bergamann Kord
a very respectable organization here in Europe
http://www.BergmannKord.gr
give it a look if you like

Every one seen my hair tranplant so far (dermatologists, friends which had similar procedures) assured me that its one of the best

I will include in my regimen 3000mg of msm daily as of next week

at this point I am also considering:

T-sal shampoo (very popular here)

Alpecin caffein shampoo

Head&shoulders 2 in 1
shampoo with pyrithione zinc

emu oil

spironolactone 5% (will probaply get next month)

Tea tree oil shampoo

super zix

and centrum multivitamins

Jay if you can please comment on the above too
thank you again for your advices
I assure you well taken into consideration

excuse me for my bad english

Britannia

Reaction score
jokoj said:
Revivogen Basically expensive minoxidil. Why?

Wrong: Revivogen is a topical DHT blocker NOT a growth stimulant like Minoxidil. And it isnt much more expensive.