Hard To Accept I'll Probably Be Bald In A Year

fixthis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I lost over 300 hairs today and I keep shedding more and more every day. My hairline is quickly receding, my thoughts go from hopeful to more and more depressed everyday. The thing is I'm treating it with minxodil and finasteride. Iv'e been on finasteride for nearly 8 months and I'm going to give it longer but I don't have peace of mind since my hair is falling so quickly.

I'm literally at a loss for what to do, I can't accept going bald at 22. I've been doing well this year at uni but I think this might end up affecting my performance for next exams. I know I keep saying it but I can't mentally accept what's happening to me it feels surreal, I feel like I'm going to go crazy and I just want out somehow.

As weak as it'll sound I'm shaking a bit as I post this.

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
I lost over 300 hairs today and I keep shedding more and more every day. My hairline is quickly receding, my thoughts go from hopeful to more and more depressed everyday. The thing is I'm treating it with minxodil and finasteride. Iv'e been on finasteride for nearly 8 months and I'm going to give it longer but I don't have peace of mind since my hair is falling so quickly.

I'm literally at a loss for what to do, I can't accept going bald at 22. I've been doing well this year at uni but I think this might end up affecting my performance for next exams. I know I keep saying it but I can't mentally accept what's happening to me it feels surreal, I feel like I'm going to go crazy and I just want out somehow.

Don't become looks conscious.

Hairloss induced fomo for youthfulness is heart breaking.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
grow a pair and man up :rolleyes:

g.i joey

Reaction score
Keep on finasteride man, I thought it wasn’t doing jack sh*t until I came off and realized ow fast I was losing ground on a short break of 2 months. Keep taking it up until 2-3 years it should at the least STABILIZE your hair situation man. I feel you bro, being one of the only 3-5 balding nw2.5-3 in uni is a bit of a b**ch

EvilLocks

Reaction score
I know I keep saying it but I can't mentally accept what's happening to me it feels surreal, I feel like I'm going to go crazy and I just want out somehow.
I know the feeling. After 5+ years of living this nightmare I still can't fully accept that this happened to me. As you may know I wear a hair piece and have for some time, but I quite often try to convince myself it's real hair growing out of my scalp. Of course I know that it's not, but the truth sometimes hurts too bad to accept so I just try to cope.
The hair on my sides are thinning so bad now, it's really pathetic. The only part of my head intact is my nape and partially my hairline, but god knows for how much longer. I don't shed much anymore thankfully but my scalp pain is sometimes horrendous and always a painful reminder of what's happening to me.
It's like you say, you just want out. There comes a point where you'd literally do anything for an acceptable head of hair, and without it nothing else matters. This is going to sound nuts but I'd probably kill for a full head of hair. Living with a hair piece is no life, I know that.
Going through permanent hair loss as a young person is among the worst things that can happen to you imo, yes there are worse things, but only very extreme cases like severe disfigurement, some fatal diseases, blindness and being locked to a wheel chair.
In some ways, I am extremely lucky. But I simply cannot get over this nor accept it, and I will not be able to as long as I'm on earth.

fixthis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So frustrating to spot a new hair on your sheets/laptop every few minutes while studying, how are we supposed to focus on studying when we get a constant reminder of this disease

Yeah that's pretty my life story at this point. I woke up planning to do my dissertation but when I had a shower and saw how much hair I was losing I couldn't focus on much else. I still got some work done but not near as much as I should have.

You'll be okay, brah. 10 months in is when I just started to see improvement. Give it time.

Did it slow down for you 7-8 months in though? This is what I don't get, I thought the worst scenario might be that I'd still be losing hair but it would drastically slow down. But I don't get why I'm losing more hair than I was before, it's like double what it was before and I've noticed this increase since December.

I know the feeling. After 5+ years of living this nightmare I still can't fully accept that this happened to me. As you may know I wear a hair piece and have for some time, but I quite often try to convince myself it's real hair growing out of my scalp. Of course I know that it's not, but the truth sometimes hurts too bad to accept so I just try to cope.
The hair on my sides are thinning so bad now, it's really pathetic. The only part of my head intact is my nape and partially my hairline, but god knows for how much longer. I don't shed much anymore thankfully but my scalp pain is sometimes horrendous and always a painful reminder of what's happening to me.
It's like you say, you just want out. There comes a point where you'd literally do anything for an acceptable head of hair, and without it nothing else matters. This is going to sound nuts but I'd probably kill for a full head of hair. Living with a hair piece is no life, I know that.
Going through permanent hair loss as a young person is among the worst things that can happen to you imo, yes there are worse things, but only very extreme cases like severe disfigurement, some fatal diseases, blindness and being locked to a wheel chair.
In some ways, I am extremely lucky. But I simply cannot get over this nor accept it, and I will not be able to as long as I'm on earth.

Yeah I don't feel like doing anything when it's happening. As for the wig option I don't think that's viable for me, I just think people I know like relatives for example would never let me live it down, I'd just be known as the wig guy.

I think today was particularly bad though since I started shaking a bit which has never happened before. I can't compute being bald at 22/23, no matter how hard I try to accept it I can't. Our brains still develop a bit into our mid 20's so it's essential that we have good experiences in our late teens early 20's. It's that age when you're just getting to know the open world and then this happens. I've always been shy/introverted so balding in my case was even more detrimental. Whatever little confidence I had is pretty much smashed into pieces.

ManinBlack

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I know how traumatic it is to watch yourself go bald right before your eyes. It just evoked a gut feeling of disgust and doom in me to the point where I actually had to voluntarily commit myself to get the counseling I needed to get over the trauma.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
am watching a prison documentary and even the hardcore gangbangers are saying "the worst part is when they shave off your hair, man i wanted to cry"

ManinBlack

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
am watching a prison documentary and even the hardcore gangbangers are saying "the worst part is when they shave off your hair, man i wanted to cry"

And their hair will grow back once they get out of prison. With a bald man you will be bald for the rest of your life, and we are supposed to just get over it. I hate how nobody, not even mental healthcare professionals takes hairloss seriously. It can have a devastating impact on your looks and your mental state.

Obesecat

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride doesn't work for everyone. That's the unfortunate truth. If you haven't seen result within a year you are not going to see any. Meds dont regrow hair. They only keep it from getting worse.

I started balding at 16. I'm not going to lie it really sucks. It gets better in your mid twenties though as many more of your peers have receding hairlines.

You shouldn't focus on things you cant change. Start saving for a transplant if it bothers you or focus on something positive like a hobby or working out. You have too much time on you hands if you are spending all this time worrying. Worrying about hair loss wont do you any good.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand totally. I feel like I’m living inside a nightmare. When I look at old photos of myself I want to cry. When I look at other women with normal hair I want to cry. When I look in the mirror I want to cry. When I’ve attempted to do my hair Over and over and it still looks limp and awful, I want to cry. When I count the hundreds of hairs I lose every single day.. I want to die. I would give anything to have my hair back. I’ve tried minoxidil, spironolactone, cpa, duta, the pill, ru, daro, stemox, ceti, t-flavanone, wounding. Nothing helps. I know in my heart that the fight is over but I can’t accept it. I can’t believe that this will progress to virtual baldness. I can’t beleive that at 25, my love and social life is over. No man will ever want me. I won’t ever feel ok with going out and dressing up. I will just be that ugly bald girl that people stare or laugh at. These are things that deep down I know to be true. I just like to tell myself that there is still 0.01% hope, even if I don’t really believe that.

To be perfectly honest, I wish I was dead. I truly, truly, truly wish that the universe would mercifully take this life away from me.

Obesecat

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand totally. I feel like I’m living inside a nightmare. When I look at old photos of myself I want to cry. When I look at other women with normal hair I want to cry. When I look in the mirror I want to cry. When I’ve attempted to do my hair Over and over and it still looks limp and awful, I want to cry. When I count the hundreds of hairs I lose every single day.. I want to die. I would give anything to have my hair back. I’ve tried minoxidil, spironolactone, cpa, duta, the pill, ru, daro, stemox, ceti, t-flavanone, wounding. Nothing helps. I know in my heart that the fight is over but I can’t accept it. I can’t believe that this will progress to virtual baldness. I can’t beleive that at 25, my love and social life is over. No man will ever want me. I won’t ever feel ok with going out and dressing up. I will just be that ugly bald girl that people stare or laugh at. These are things that deep down I know to be true. I just like to tell myself that there is still 0.01% hope, even if I don’t really believe that.

To be perfectly honest, I wish I was dead. I truly, truly, truly wish that the universe would mercifully take this life away from me.

Look I hate to say this but life isn’t fair and you are overreacting. Yes being bald sucks especially if you are young. But you are not dead. You can still do great things in your life. And honestly there are plenty of guys out there for you to date.

You do no one any good by posting about how you want to die not helping OP either.

Get a hobby stop focusing on things you can’t change

fixthis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
..dutasteride

The thing is I already have sides on finasteride but I'm just toughing it out for now but with dutasteride I don't think I'd be able to handle it.

There's a couple of reasons why I'm terrified. I'm already on the short side so going bald will be killer. Will be hard to get into a relationship but it's not just that. I'll look older and will get made fun of. I think what set it off more for me these past few months is the fact that my hairloss has been speeding up and I freak out whenever I see how much hair I'm losing in the shower.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing is I already have sides on finasteride but I'm just toughing it out for now but with dutasteride I don't think I'd be able to handle it.
Can you handle balding more than the sides?

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Look I hate to say this but life isn’t fair and you are overreacting. Yes being bald sucks especially if you are young. But you are not dead. You can still do great things in your life. And honestly there are plenty of guys out there for you to date.

You do no one any good by posting about how you want to die not helping OP either.

Get a hobby stop focusing on things you can’t change
I have a job, hobbies, school and friends. I know that there is life outside of hairloss but I can’t just turn how it makes me feel off. I Wish I could believe me.

Obesecat

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a job, hobbies, school and friends. I know that there is life outside of hairloss but I can’t just turn how it makes me feel off. I Wish I could believe me.

Look not that I’m trying to be I unsympathetic. I went bald at 16. So I actually understand a lot of what you are saying.

However, you are 25 and you are an adult. You should be focusing on having a career and future life choices. Talking about how not having a social life makes you want to die is ridiculous. You sound like a kid in HIghschool. I hate to break it to you but that time in your life is over and not because of hair loss; you are just too old to think like that.

As far as dating goes. Keep yourself in shape and don’t get fat. You probably won’t be dating any Brad Pitts but as I said plenty of guys out there get overlooked by a lot of women. If you want someone to look past your physical flaws, you should be willing to do the same.

Honey, I’m sorry but having that attitude at your age is immature and won’t benefit anyone. We all have things we want to change about our appearance.