Reaction score
sorry....fixed

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
I could swear there was a "male pattern baldness gene discovered thread" opened up 1/2 years ago. This means NOTHING.

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
Nothing that will help us now or during the rest of our life, hoppi.

Hoppi

Reaction score
For me that's like up to 60 years lol, somehow I think male pattern baldness will be cured within 60 years! Probably within 20! Possibly within 10 o_O hehe

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
For me that's like up to 60 years lol, somehow I think male pattern baldness will be cured within 60 years! Probably within 20! Possibly within 10 o_O hehe
I don't think it will be "cured" with us still alive. The only "cure" would be gene therapy, and I don't think it will be avaiable that soon.

GeminiX

Reaction score
If you wear jeans "commando style" you might get a different kind of hair loss if it gets caught in the zip...

Get it? Hair loss Jeans...

I'll get my coat.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
It's a different gene than the ones mentioned in the other post. The gene referred to in this post result in childhood hairloss that occurs exactly like androgenic alopecia save for the presence of androgens. The importance of the study mentioned by OP is that the hair loss these children experience shows scientists a different pathway than is suspected in male pattern baldness.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Brains Expel Hair said:
It's a different gene than the ones mentioned in the other post. The gene referred to in this post result in childhood hairloss that occurs exactly like androgenic alopecia save for the presence of androgens. The importance of the study mentioned by OP is that the hair loss these children experience shows scientists a different pathway than is suspected in male pattern baldness.

This is important stuff because unlike a lot of studies that talk about hairloss in mice or genes involved in general hair loss or growth this was about a type of hairloss that is the same as male pattern baldness (progressive minituarization) AND it indicates that the central issue that creates this situation is a dysfunction in WNT signalling. More and more this seems to be the most important next gen target for hair loss treatment and it backs up a lot of the research regarding the crucial role of wnt signalling in hair growth (ie DKKF-1) and suggests that research and treatments in this area that are currently underway (Follica for one) are probably going to be relevant and helpful to our situation and not turn out to be treatments that would grow hair if you didnt have male pattern baldness.

Capling

Reaction score
I dont think any of these new genes being found will produce any positive effect for us for at least 10 years. Anything that is just discovered requires us to attach a 10 year minimum to it before anything could find funding, trials. approval. release.
For comparison, the M.Gardson's method seems more real now. . if you don't want to use finasteride or minoxidil. But., these gene discoveries may come in handy down the road

abcdefg

Reaction score
Science moves slowly, but we are making a LOT of progress into male pattern baldness pretty quickly in my opinion. I think in 10 years young guys will be able to keep a Norwood 0 if they want just through prevention which will be safe like a topical but possibly expensive. Regrowing hair is always going to be a much much trickier and more expensive.