Hairline transplant and hair system behind

Berryhaze

My Regimen
Reaction score
What did the surgeon think about the idea?
Surgeon liked the idea, agreed with me that its hard to get decent density If I decided to transplant whole balding area. Even asked me where I am getting my systems from, because they’d like to offer them to patients with advanced balding, combining with transplant.

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would be looking good. Personally I wouldn´t do that for a "perfect" hairline with a system

Jbalding

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just to touch on what others have discussed and hopefully add something into the mix because I considered FUE with a system behind recently...

Going for a full system was an awesome option for me at the time I got my first. It changed my life after I had extreme shedding over 3-6 months. It seemed like I was going to be a NW7 at 30 like my dad.

I rocked the system for 3 years. Every so often a drunk friend of a friend at a party would draw attention to me personally it in a negative way, as though they had been thinking about it prior to getting drunk enough to say something. "Why would you wear that?" etc. and a couple of people I work with asked about it in a less negative way.

The hairline of a system must be glued to perfection if you don't have a style that covers it, so I totally understand where you're coming from. The hairline is so so important and some people just don't suit a fringe.

Sometimes the lace was visible if it popped up at the hairline during a hot day, and for others they certainly noticed that I went from 30% natural density to BOOM a 65% density system with a better hairline. I was out with a lot of acquaintances/sort of friends right after having my first system fitting and two of them were staring and smiling at my hairline. You could tell they wanted to laugh. It really is a shame that we care what these people think when we should only care for what the very few we love and respect think of us. I told those closest to me about the system, but the problem is people change, some friendships fall apart and some of those people have likely told others regardless. At least with areal hairs on the hairline I guess just about no one would notice, so long as the match was perfect.

I grew to not really care what others thought on good days, but our mental health isn't always optimal to be able to think that way.

My hair loss has stabilised a great deal since wearing a system even though I didn't take any meds. It seems that I've followed my mum's family's genetics and not my dads and they have all had thin hair since their mid 20s. I started looking into FUE in my hairline with a hair system behind it quite recently and it seems that it may be a huge hassle to get perfect every time. At least with a system your hair type, colour etc. can be very very close without being perfect as the hair on the top of your head can generally be styled or cut differently to the sides.

I couldn't find any pictures of any posts of people with knowledge that it would work and look natural. With your system you can give or take a few millimetres as to where it sits - especially if the system hair is long-ish. With how messy the glue or tape can get from a partial system with certain scalp types it may end up being detached and cleaned way more than just going for a full system. For me that would likely be every 2 or 3 days. It will make your hair where the system meets it a mess after a few days in my personal experience.

After doing a lot of research on forum posts like this with very invaluable replies and opinions I opted for just getting a full hair transplant. If I were a higher Norwood it could have been a different decision but I'm going for 4500 grafts and thankfully most of that is going on my hairline and mid scalp. I realise it wont be as full as my hair system but I think for me personally using meds and a little but of Toppik where necessary will look for natural and better for my own piece of mind.

I actually used to pull a lot of hair out of my hair system to make it seem more natural and then after 3 months it would look probably less dense than my hair transplant will be!

Just in my experience I think a system with a natural hairline in front would work best if you're quiffing it for example. The more product and less perception of where each starts and ends might work really well, but I do think it could be a time-consuming nightmare regardless of how good it looks. Just make sure either way that it's a very good match! Let us know if you go ahead with it as well. I'd be very interested to know and I wish you the best of luck with it!
It just seems like your transition to a hairpiece was late (as in your were visibly balding) or it was a bad piece. I went from a pretty full head of hair to a hair system because I knew I would progress in hair loss, why not just try it now? Ive never had the same experiences as you and i’m 25 and quite social. Nobody has been able to tell, those that I did tell thought I was joking until I had to say “No, seriously, its not my hair”.

SD1984

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think this is a good idea but it's also a pretty drastic one that's not so cut and dry. Noah did a great job pointing out what I feel are some of the reasons why and I'll point out others...

For me one of the turnoffs that comes right to mind, (besides the chance that even in the best of hands a surgery can go wrong and you end up with a poor or mediocre result), is that, well, at the end of the day you're STILL wearing hair on most of your head, you're STILL going to have to break that news to a woman you date long term for those (like myself) who are in the dating game, and you're STILL going to have to deal with a lot of the maintenance that comes with a hair system. If you're at the beach with the sun blaring down on your system, you having a natural hairline still isn't going to change the fact that your hair might change color or that the adhesive might break down. Also while the hairline maintenance will fortunately be gone, I would imagine that the re-application of the system now becomes much more difficult. Having to make sure you fit it down perfectly behind the transplanted hair everytime so it doesn't bunch up against or worse, fall on top of it.

So my point is, unless you feel this is absolutely necessary and you think keeping the hairline fresh is so insanely difficult, you may as well just save the thousands, save the trouble of worrying if the transplant will come out well, save the months long recovery process where you look like hell and just go with the full deal. Because again, my thing is, you're still wearing a hair system at the end of the day.

There is basically ONE true positive that makes this worth it if you are going to do it, and yes it's a great positive, but it's only one:

You can go out with virtually 110% confidence of never ever having to worry about if your hairline looks a tad "off" (because it will be natural) which subsequently gives you the mental peace of mind to know that there is virtually zero chance of you ever being outed.

SD1984

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great stuff, do you mind saying how much it cost? I have worn for 10 years and like to keep my hairline really sparse anyway.
How to you manage to get it sparse? Do you thin it out yourself or is there a specific system you like to order?
I'm always curious about long term wearers

ozadam

Reaction score
How to you manage to get it sparse? Do you thin it out yourself or is there a specific system you like to order?
I'm always curious about long term wearers
I use UTS from NWL and Got2B glued, in a 20+ colour usually and they are sparse enough. I do thin the whole units out a TON from the start with thinning scissors.

SD1984

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use UTS from NWL and Got2B glued, in a 20+ colour usually and they are sparse enough. I do thin the whole units out a TON from the start with thinning scissors.
What's the stock situation like from NWL? Last I remember reading lace was still out of the question. Also how can you "thin" out systems with scissors? Wouldn't you need to actually pluck hairs out to thin it out?

Thanks in advance.

ozadam

Reaction score
What's the stock situation like from NWL? Last I remember reading lace was still out of the question. Also how can you "thin" out systems with scissors? Wouldn't you need to actually pluck hairs out to thin it out?

Thanks in advance.
Yes it has been maybe a year since my last NWL unit. The last unit I got was a UTS from Lyrical Hair and it was thin enough and shed enough early that it was fine. I did still cut a lot of hair from it.
I do really only thin with scissors, thinning shears they look like normal scissors except one side is a metal comb. I kind of pull at the hair with these and some hair is coming out from the base. Other hairs are getting cut off at varying lengths, this creates a fair few fly away hairs and some that randomly stick up and are hard to style, but this is what you want as when the hair is so perfect then it sticks right out.

Heres some pics, These pics do not really show how it works for me but just that it is fairly sparse. When you have hair that looks like it is thinning a bit then no one has any reason to take a closer look

Blurred Hairlines

My Regimen
Reaction score
Surgeon liked the idea, agreed with me that its hard to get decent density If I decided to transplant whole balding area. Even asked me where I am getting my systems from, because they’d like to offer them to patients with advanced balding, combining with transplant.
Dude congrats!! Please keep us updated. I'm thinking of doing this next year after I graduate!!!! What surgeon did you go with?

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I still don't understand how this works really.

The problem I have is I'd have to be so precise with positioning and shaving down the area to cover.

And the age of the unit (they do feel stiffer after a while) and the ventilation will affect the hairstyles you can achieve.

I understand the idea in theory, but I don't understand how it would work in practice. I almost wonder if it would be easier to fill in the back bawling area and have a small piece up front.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
lso while the hairline maintenance will fortunately be gone, I would imagine that the re-application of the system now becomes much more difficult. Having to make sure you fit it down perfectly behind the transplanted hair everytime so it doesn't bunch up against or worse, fall on top of it.
I wonder, if this really is an issue. It seems it might make the alignment easier, yet maybe the opposite. What's the truth from someone's experience?

I think this should be done at an older age when you're finally NW5--7 and sure that not progressing any further. I will definitely keep this option in mind. To have so much money and be able to stay away from people for some time because of the operation requires being somewhat old anyway I guess. How long you have to be antisocial now, not able to wear hair?

And is it actually that bad looking when no hair system is on? I guess still better than bald. The strategy for NW5--7 anyway is to only transplant the hairline and leave the crown bald. Although it's then more receded, but why not make it receded in the first place then? Look at Biden's hair for example. Seems like he has also only made a hairline and there is a lot of room for the hair system behind it. I think I've seen more very old men with this style. You're old anyway and all your mates are NW5--7 fat, half-blind and pale already, so it becomes perhaps acceptable to be NW5--7 with a NW2-3 hairline.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
How much did it cost? You cannot wear a hair system on the transplanted area, right? And it will take like a year, before it starts growing? So what are you doing in the meantime? Wearing a really receded hair system, maybe coming that forward?

SD1984

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How much did it cost? You cannot wear a hair system on the transplanted area, right? And it will take like a year, before it starts growing? So what are you doing in the meantime? Wearing a really receded hair system, maybe coming that forward?
By 6 months most of it should be grown in. After a year is considered the 100% final result.

Berryhaze

My Regimen
Reaction score
2 years post op. I am happy with the results. Transplanted hair do mix well with system, however the base line is still a little visible, but it depends on the type of unit and hairstyle.
EBD608B0-3377-427E-9001-6707C0686941.jpeg

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have enough donor to cover my loss, but i always wondered about the transition from hair transplanted hair to hair piece.could be tricky.

And BTW I assume you couldn't wear a hair piece whilst waiting for the growth from the hair transplant?