Hairline shedding 3 weeks on foam - PICS

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
After being on propecia for 2 months with no sides I decided to add foam to the mix on the hairline.

I've been applying once a night every day for exactly 3 weeks. I realize the before and after pictures are from different angles and different lighting, but should give you an idea of the shed I'm experiencing.

As you can see in the after picture the shedding is effecting the hair behind the hairline.

I ----really----- hope this is a typical foam shed and not permanent. But, oh well, I guess I would have lost it anyway.

comments welcome.

BEFORE
pic1.jpg

AFTER (3 weeks of foam)
pic2.jpg

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
That's the problem with these hairloss treatments. They make things worse at first and you have to wait and hope things get better. The waiting is the hardest part. Be patient, in most cases your hair will come back thicker. For me, I never got back to my baseline. :sobbing:

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey doctor,

were you using propecia at the same time? how long? did you feel like it was helping the situation?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I was using the big 3 in order to keep what I had which was probably not a smart idea looking back now since I only had very mild thinning. I remember my hair was doing fine until maybe around the 4 or 5 month of starting Propecia. Then things started getting bad and I got depressed at how my hair started changing so quickly for the worse. Then several months later I started the Rogaine foam. I loved how the stuff went on. My hair still was getting worse but mostly where I was putting the foam. I would get slightly better 3 to 4 months later and then get worse and then I noticed my hairline was suffering the most. My hair texture also changed all over and its no longer thick like it used to be. When I used to get a haircut before the big 3, my hair looked super thick after I left the shop, now my hair is so thin(my density has decreased at least 20 to 25 percent) all over I get sick in the chair while he is cutting it and regret ever starting with the big 3. I talked to another person and he went thru this same scenerio as myself and we both really could not understand how this can happen. I stopped using the foam 2 times day after about 11 months of torture of waiting to get back to my baseline and went to once a day. Then after using it once per day it got slight better. Now I am using Proxiphen and at first I got a major shed with that but now things are better and I am hoping my hairline will just thicken up. I just want my thickness back to what it used to be in the front and down the middle and I will be satisfied. After looking at your photo, I know how you must be feeling now knowing that things have gotten worse and you are on treatments that you thought would at least help keep what you have but now you have lost more than what you have started with. The only advice I can give you keep using your treatments consistently and hope you respond to the point you regrow more hair than when you started. However, its going to be a long wait because hair cycles take many months to recycle. I am impatient and want to see instant results and that is not going to happen. Everyone's case is different. I am sticking with my treatments in hopes that maybe by the end of this year, my hair will get thicker. That is all I can do at this point. I have heard your hair will resort back to the way it was before you started Propecia and Rogaine if you stop all treatments. I would love for that to happen because my hair was so much thicker before I started with the big 3. However, that would be a big gamble and I am just too afraid to lose more now so I will keep fighting with my treatments until something else comes along better. If all else fails, I guess a hair transplant might be my only choice. Good luck to you.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
that is some truly scary sh!t my man.

question: what made you switch from foam to prox? if foam's not working i can't imagine some other elixir would.

LOOK- if foam can't save me, if propecia can't save me, then f*** - i'm beyond saving, at least with today's medicines.

at least i tried. and i will continue to try for 12-18 months.

now if it comes out on 60 minutes or something that minoxidil can do more harm than good... i got cheated.. fine...

but until then, it's foam and pray.

THANKS for your kind words and hope - you are the reason people come here, looking for a better life.

but IF in the end it doesn't work - i will focus on my body, and learn to live with IT.

jd24

Established Member
Reaction score
try regular minoxidil rather than the foam

ive recently switched from the foam and it seems to have got better
(may just be a placebo effect though)

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Treeshrew, I switched to Proxiphen because I have read it has been shown to give better results than all other topical treatments. I think Dr Proctor is experienced enough to develop treatments that seem to work better than just using the foam. My hairline is responding good to Proxiphen and its alcohol free too. I started to use Proxiphen as a last resort type of topical treatment. I have only used to it since October and he said you may not notice anything until around 6 months. An sure enough its over 5 months now and I am noticing finally alot of new hairs. Dr Rassman just posted it takes about 10 months to really see if a treatment like the foam is making a difference based on the hair cycles. So I am hoping in the next 5 or 6 months things thickening up more.

Reaction score
wow... your pictures look a LOT like mine.

I started using foam, and my hairline has rapidly receded and thinned out behind the hairline. I'm thinking of switching back to liquid, I've heard more people having success with that.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i've heard of more people having success with foam. it's all anecdotal anyway, the bottomline is to stick with it for at least 6-12 months.

i think i might be seeing some baby hairs sprouting - i suppose they could be terminals miniaturizing, only time will tell.

ahh, isn't this fun!

doctor, thanks for the info on prox!

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, my story is similar to many here. Six month mark on foam, my hairline has receded enough for everyone to notice. Don't know but seems much worst than if i didn't start foam; hope things turn around. Good luck to you, we are in the same boat :badmood:

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Well using foam since september, and my hairline has taken a f****n beating. Proscar for about 2 years, no problems and shedding with it. I'm still gonna stick with foam, i'm in it for the long haul. BTW useing foam on hairline only.

jared_24

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are convinced the foam is not working for you, get on the liquid asap.

Yes - it's a little messier and more inconvenient to apply than the foam, but if your going to getter better results then that is what matters at the end of the day.

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I still have about 8 months supply of foam. After that I may switch to liquid or may add spriro etc.

bright12

Reaction score
seriously, how could foam be any different than the liquid. ask yourselves that question, it's all the same ingredients.

Libido

Established Member
Reaction score
Gah, thats an extreme shed. :crazy:
Thats pretty much the reason I dont use minoxidil.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ya it is...

however... temple hair is going to go anyway. propecia isn't very effective there.

i'd rather try minoxidil and get burned then watch the hair slowly fade away wondering "what if"...

anyway, i'm riding this out for better or worse. i'll update soon.