Hairline Getting Worse By The Month!

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I’m reaching out to a friend that is an endocrinologist. It seems like a bizarre catch-22. If your TSH is high (hypo) and you address with Synthroid (first side effect listed as causes Hairloss) you are in a horrible place.

I wonder if there are alternatives to levothyroxine that can address the hypo without causing more loss. @DoctorHouse did the start of you Hairloss have any correlation timing wise with your Thyroid treatment?
Yes, it all started when I went on synthroid but I never had abnormal TSH or T4/T3 only high antibodies. I probably could have waited but I read its best to go on synthroid to prevent goiters. My endo claims if your levels are always normal you won't get hair loss related issues from thyroid. Don't know how true this really is.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
@buckthorn I am getting in the game early but I promise you the diffuse thinning is a huge drop off from the before photo in 2015. I have a ton of miniaturized hairs on the hairline and all over the top of my head. Hair has also gone from ‘rockstar’ thick black to whispy and light brown. I’m in prevent mode just want to make good decisions. Grateful for a group to discuss options.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
@DoctorHouse I’m not sure he endo’s have a good understanding of the impact on hair. I might try an integrative PCP. My guess is after 40 there will be some male pattern baldness but it could be complicated by Thyroid issues. When they first put me on Levolthyroxine I had no warning it could cause Hairloss and I had been off on my dosing just before the first big Telogen Effluvium hit. I still may need to add and AA but want to get this variable addressed first.

I’m even more concerned this makes us less responsive to the Finasteride.