Hair Transplant Industry Could Be Doomed

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah i wouldn't trust a robot anytime in the near future with my hair if i ever opted for a transplant.

2young2retire

Experienced Member
Reaction score
then a hybrid, a man guided robot could satisfy the needs of people that have a strong position against technology

Rho Gain

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t know that I agree with that, yet. There is an high level of artistry to a top notch transplant. It takes a skilled, artistic surgeon that can mimic the direction and growth pattern of existing native hair, and match that with the new grafts, to get everything to blend seamlessly. Even still, it’s not a guarantee. That is certainly not to say that AI couldn’t allow ARTAS to evolve to that point, but where it stands today, I would only trust a living breathing human with eyes on the situation.

I agree that ARTAS isn't there yet, but in the hands of a good surgeon, I just don't see how it can be beat. Its ability to make very precise extractions that don't damage the follicle (currently, many follicles are lost before they are ever grafted simply because they are damaged during the extraction process) alone make it better than 80% of most clinics, where such labor is often left to assistants. Also, its modeling software uses an algorithm that protects surrounding good hair by marking all the empty space at a magnified level and making suggestions for implant locations. Currently, the surgeon then uses this program to "draw" the new hairline/infill based on all the factors you list, but there's no reason you couldn't take that data, give it to ARTAS, and let it do it itself (it could also use deep learning to harvest new data from each surgery it performs, getting better and better with every procedure - feed it a bunch of cadavers - or even just virtual scalps - and let it go to town for a million or two practice surgeries). Early results may or may not have been great, but the current version is a very sophisticated machine with a lot of capability.

Last edited:

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score