hair transplant Downtime. Need Advice(young guy)

SonfofOdin

Reaction score
I'll keep it brief, I'm quite young and have ran extreme norwood coverup game to the degree that when I do shave down for my transplant, I'll be exposed, and likely ridiculed because of the maturity level of those in my age bracket. So, I'm quitting my job and living off the grid while I wait for my hairs to come in... What can I do to make some cash for food money? I'm hoping to be able to find some gigs on craigslist and do it all in a baseball cap. I know this post sounds ridiculous or troll but it is not. I went from NW1.5 to NW4 in 11 months and my whole life has been turned upside down. I even found out I can't donate plasma because I finally got on finasteride.

Or... could I take a month off work, and return, with no redness, and possibly the hairs coming in just enough to make it look like I just have my hair short? I really need some advice :( I'm getting the transplant this summer hopefully. This is a beyond scary point in my life because everything is up in the air. I have a solid part time job that works with my school that even wants to promo me soon so I'd be making nearly $2 over min wage. Now here I am forced to blow my entire life savings, while hoping financial aid covers all my schooling. Living with my loss isn't a possibility because everytime I manage to forget about it, a comment is made. Most of the men in my family seem immune to hair loss, all but my dad, and they like to rub it in. Anyway that's about it, I appreciate any responses.

shookwun

Reaction score
Summer is a bad idea, for both recovery wise, and sane of mind. Do it in the fall when everything is going into hibernation.

One month? Hell no, lighter the complexion the longer recovery will take. It will take a few months if not longer for the redness to completely dissipate. Grafts will start to sprout around 10-12 weeks. results vary but generally it wont actually look good, and natural untill around 8-10 months. By three months you'll be able to do a comb over withnative hair

it takes awhile, but is well worth it.

loscott28

Reaction score
I'll keep it brief, I'm quite young and have ran extreme norwood coverup game to the degree that when I do shave down for my transplant, I'll be exposed, and likely ridiculed because of the maturity level of those in my age bracket. So, I'm quitting my job and living off the grid while I wait for my hairs to come in... What can I do to make some cash for food money? I'm hoping to be able to find some gigs on craigslist and do it all in a baseball cap. I know this post sounds ridiculous or troll but it is not. I went from NW1.5 to NW4 in 11 months and my whole life has been turned upside down. I even found out I can't donate plasma because I finally got on finasteride.

Or... could I take a month off work, and return, with no redness, and possibly the hairs coming in just enough to make it look like I just have my hair short? I really need some advice :( I'm getting the transplant this summer hopefully. This is a beyond scary point in my life because everything is up in the air. I have a solid part time job that works with my school that even wants to promo me soon so I'd be making nearly $2 over min wage. Now here I am forced to blow my entire life savings, while hoping financial aid covers all my schooling. Living with my loss isn't a possibility because everytime I manage to forget about it, a comment is made. Most of the men in my family seem immune to hair loss, all but my dad, and they like to rub it in. Anyway that's about it, I appreciate any responses.

My redness went away in about a month, but I wore hats for quite a while longer whenever I was out in public. I've seen other people for it to take a lot longer.

TheCavemansDiary

Reaction score
As someone who had undergone 3 hair transplant's by the age of 24, all by researched and reputable doctors, my advice for you is to setiously consider the implications of what you are contemplating.

First off, you may not even be an ideal candidate for a hair transplant. Did you do your research?

If you really are a nw4, chances are that multiple surgeries will be nessesary to achieve a decent result. But it will never satisfy you as a young man, as it would someone at 50, due to the density. You'll end up wanting more, even if it puts you in a financial ruin. After all, it's not about the hair, but your identity and appeal to the desired sex.

I was a diffuse nw6, which is probably equivalent to a nw4 that isn't diffuse. After 1600+2800+1400 grafts, and 7 years on finasteride, the only way for me to have a resemblance of a average hairline was to spend 30 mins a day applying concealers.

I've been through your pain, trust me, i'm 29 and started losing at 17. It fell out in droves. In less than a year i went from a full head of hair to being diffuse all the way down to my occipital bone, and temples and sideburn areas were gone. I loved my hair, which was gorgeus. I had lost an important part of me.

Nowadays I've made up my mind to use a hairsystem. I sent the measurements to the company this morning. Not only is it much cheaper(78$ a month if you take good care of it), much less invasive and will yield a better result. Nowadays, they look incredibly natural, and can allow you to get the hair back you had at 16, style it almost any way you want.

A hair transplant should be your last resort because its permanent. Even scalp micropigmentation should be considered before.

And finally a word of advice from a young veteran; do not take beyond drastic measures in order to hide your hairloss from your peers. Growing your hair longer to conceal the scar and lying about your new hairgrowth is one thing. Quitting your job and living in a dark room for a year is a completely different horse. I did exactly the same thing 5 years ago, and let me tell you, your confidence has bigger issues than just hair. Hair will help, but it wont be enough. But you wont realise the wisdom in those words yet, just as I didn't 5 years ago.

Feel free to PM.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
^Great advice in general, hair loss can be so devastating hearing these stories. But you found a way through it, congratulations.

TheCavemansDiary

Reaction score
Wolfpack, was that directed at me or the thread in general? Regardless, hairloss is horrible for some people.

Usually, these are the types of people who strongly identify themselves with their looks, who simply CANNOT accept the direction genetics is taking them. This is in no way bashing others, as I am in this category myself. At one point hairloss, and the subsequent cure for it, made me spend 12-14 hours a day on various networks doing research and getting acquainted with the terminology - for over a year!. I spent all of my vacation 3 years straight recovering from surgery and wore hats/beanies for 3 months straight, at work.

At age 26 I had actually accepted that perfect hair was out of the question, and that mediocre hair was better than poor hair.

Recently though, the fire has been rekindled with the everimproving mens full cap hair systems. I actually seriously considered SMP for several weeks 'just to be done with it', but hairdystems should be considered first, unless you really like the buzzed look... I honestly don't have the head for it.

All things considered, getting a hairsystem after 3 SUCCESSFULL hair transplant's seems like an oxymoron, but from all the money spent, the frustration, the pain (both physical, as I had over 100 anaestaetic needles, and emotional) and occasional howling at the moon, I learned a lot about myself. Which ultimately is all that any man can ask of himself, eh?

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Was directed at you Caveman. I thought you analysed it well and came to a mature, sensible conclusion. Sounds like you went through a lot but have found a method that works for you which is great. Even though I am at the start of hair loss with a receding hair line, I relate to that story, because I would probably end up in a similar type of situation in my head.

Like you I don't like the buzzed/smp look at all. With good density it might be acceptable but I relate to your dilemma. I was just going to add, the transplants weren't a bad idea, you almost had to go through it in order to appreciate if it's a good option.

System is my plan too if worse comes to worse. I don't know if I can see it through though. Let me know how you get on.

TheCavemansDiary

Reaction score
Was directed at you Caveman. I thought you analysed it well and came to a mature, sensible conclusion. Sounds like you went through a lot but have found a method that works for you which is great. Even though I am at the start of hair loss with a receding hair line, I relate to that story, because I would probably end up in a similar type of situation in my head.

Like you I don't like the buzzed/smp look at all. With good density it might be acceptable but I relate to your dilemma. I was just going to add, the transplants weren't a bad idea, you almost had to go through it in order to appreciate if it's a good option.

System is my plan too if worse comes to worse. I don't know if I can see it through though. Let me know how you get on.

I will. Have you had a hair transplant yourself, and what was your experience?

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not yet. I am planning on having one next year after I see what positive changes medication may do for me. I will probably need 2k grafts for the front, to get a Norwood 2 line. I don't think the experience of a transplant itself is bad. It's the limited number of grafts we all have, future loss that may just happen anyway despite being on meds, these are worrying points for someone who wants to keep density.