Hair Today Hair Tomorrow Hair Forever

nick123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@pegasus2

I remember you mentioned wanting to get your hands on Bayer AGs prolactin receptor antibody Mat3.

What are your thoughts on its efficacy? I came across: "the antibody was effective in stimulating hair growth in aged stump-tailed macaques, nearly doubling the number of terminal hairs after 6 months even in previously fully bald areas and showing a sustainable impact even after 2 years post treatment." which peaked my interest, not the double terminal hair count part as we don't know how many terminal hairs they had to begin with but the "fully bald areas and showing a sustainable impact even after 2 years post treatment" seems amazing.

I don't know much about antibodies but I tried digging into their patent: https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2019011719A1/en and couldn't find much.

EDIT:

Thanks to @FollicleGuardian for finding me the sequence:
1613322343578.png

Last edited:

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@pegasus2

Might be a stupid question given the synergistic nature of your routine, but if you had to pick only 3 compounds outside of dutasteride, micro needling and oral minoxidil to use, what would they be?
Yes, I would be interested to know what you feel are the top 5 or 6 contributors in order of effectiveness eg.

1. minoxidil (MOST EFFECTIVE)
2. dutasteride
3. MICRO
6. (LEAST OR 6TH MOST EFFECTIVE)

Redgate

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@pegasus2

Might be a stupid question given the synergistic nature of your routine, but if you had to pick only 3 compounds outside of dutasteride, micro needling and oral minoxidil to use, what would they be?

Yes, I would be interested to know what you feel are the top 5 or 6 contributors in order of effectiveness eg.

1. minoxidil (MOST EFFECTIVE)
2. dutasteride
3. MICRO
6. (LEAST OR 6TH MOST EFFECTIVE)
Go through the thread guys. Not only has this been answered, there is a lot of interesting information as well.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
@pegasus2

I remember you mentioned wanting to get your hands on Bayer AGs prolactin receptor antibody Mat3.

What are your thoughts on its efficacy? I came across: "the antibody was effective in stimulating hair growth in aged stump-tailed macaques, nearly doubling the number of terminal hairs after 6 months even in previously fully bald areas and showing a sustainable impact even after 2 years post treatment." which peaked my interest, not the double terminal hair count part as we don't know how many terminal hairs they had to begin with but the "fully bald areas and showing a sustainable impact even after 2 years post treatment" seems amazing.

I don't know much about antibodies but I tried digging into their patent: https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2019011719A1/en and couldn't find much.

EDIT:

Thanks to @FollicleGuardian for finding me the sequence:
View attachment 157070
Probably as effective as minoxidil without the unpleasant side effects. Who knows though, there are no publicly available human trial results. I do think it's one of the drugs in the pipeline with the most growth potential, along with KY. The best is Surrozen's Wnt agonist, but that's a long way off if ever.

It might even work synergistically with minoxidil.

Last edited:

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone use BioEstro?
The real question is how many pumps of bioestro are you willing to use. One full press is 1mg of Estriol and 0.25mg of Estradiol. We look at 7mg of E3 min and 2mg E2 to be effective So 8 pumps a day will get your scalp completely saturated sponging all that cream. Doubtful it will have high penetration. And one bottle for 10 days at $30.$90 a month is not to bad for people who can afford it. I am curious to know if based on higher affinity of E2 vs E3 binding to ERa/b, the two don't work against each other.

Last edited:

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The real question is how many pumps of bioestro are you willing to use. One full press is 1mg of Estriol and 0.25mg of Estradiol. We look at 7mg of E3 min and 2mg E2 to be effective So 8 pumps a day will get your scalp completely saturated sponging all that cream. Doubtful it will have high penetration. And one bottle for 10 days at $30.$90 a month is not to bad for people who can afford it. I am curious to know if based on higher affinity of E2 vs E3 binding to ERa/b, the two don't work against each other.
What are we talking sides wise. I can afford it-- thats not the issue. Health is tho

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
What are we talking sides wise. I can afford it-- thats not the issue. Health is tho
You need one dominant sex hormone, a balance and strong levels to avoid osteoporosis and other issues related to lack of sex hormones. The best you can do is blocking the androgen signaling in scalp tissue and let the ER be flooded by endogenous estrogens. Anti-Androgens, which elevate androgen levels itself, elevate estrogens as well by 150%. (3×).

Hope this clarifies.

Androgens: transcribe balding informations

Estrogens: reverse transcription of balding information

Sexual sides are 100% not avoidable with any kind of estrogens, be prepared.

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You need one dominant sex hormone, a balance and strong levels to avoid osteoporosis and other issues related to lack of sex hormones. The best you can do is blocking the androgen signaling in scalp tissue and let the ER be flooded by endogenous estrogens. Anti-Androgens, which elevate androgen levels itself, elevate estrogens as well by 150%. (3×).

Hope this clarifies.

Androgens: transcribe balding informations

Estrogens: reverse transcription of balding information

Sexual sides are 100% not avoidable with any kind of estrogens, be prepared.
I think im kind of understanding? I'm gonna reread in the morning LOL

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What about Methyl Vanillate as a cheap alternative for WNT-Beta Catenin Activation?
1)https://www.forhair.com/images/stor..._activator_JOCD_12225_Final_Revised_Proof.pdf
Background: Activation of the WNT/b-catenin pathway has emerged as a potential therapeutic target in androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia). Methyl vanillate (MV) a safe plant-derived ingredient – has been recently shown to activate the WNT/b-catenin signaling.
Objectives: Two distinct substudies were conducted. First, we designed a 6-month, uncontrolled, open-label clinical study to investigate whether topically applied MV may increase hair count and hair mass index (HMI) in female Androgenetic Alopecia. Second, we conducted a molecular study on the effect of MV on WNT10B mRNA expression in scalp biopsies of women with Androgenetic Alopecia.
Methods: A total of 20 Caucasian women (age range: 2557 years) with Androgenetic Alopecia (Sinclair grade 12) were included. The research product was an alcohol-free formulation supplied in the form of a spray containing 0.2% MV as the active ingredient. (Application was 2ml Every Other Day. So, 4mg/ml in total when the product applied)
Results: In the clinical study, hair count and HMI were found to increase at 6 months by 6% (P < 0.01) and 12% (P < 0.001), respectively, compared with baseline. No participant discontinued treatment due to adverse effects, and the overall patient satisfaction was good. At the molecular level, the topical application of the research product resulted in a 32% increase in WNT10B mRNA expression levels in the temporal scalp area (P < 0.001).
Conclusion: Our pilot data suggest that topical MV can increase hair count and HMI by inducing WNT10B expression in the scalp, potentially serving as a novel treatment strategy for female Androgenetic Alopecia.
2) https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-2230.2011.04019.x
Background: Wnt10b (wingless-related mouse mammary tumour virus integration site 10b) plays various roles in a wide range of biological actions, including hair-follicle development.

Aim: To assess the roles that Wnt10b plays in postnatal hair-follicle growth.

Methods: Adenovirus vectors AdWnt10b, AdGFP, AdGFP plus AdRFP, AdWnt10b plus AdFrzB, and AdWnt10b plus AdSimBC were co-cultured separately with vibrissae. In situ protein expression of Wnt10b, β-catenin and Lef1 was determined by immunohistochemistry, and the proliferation status of the hair follicle was detected by 5-bromo-2-deoxyuridine (BrdU) labelling. The presence of Wnt signalling molecules in the three stages of hair-follicle growth was detected by PCR-based microarray.

Results: AdWnt10b-infected cells were able to secrete bioactive Wnt10b, and when this was added into the basal medium, the vibrissae grew faster than in control medium or in medium containing canonical Wnt signalling antagonists. The in situ protein expression of Wnt10b was consistent with that of β-catenin and Lef1. The expression locus of Wnt10b was almost the same as the proliferating cells labelled by BrdU in the anagen hair follicle.

Conclusions: Wnt10b may promote hair-follicle growth by inducing the switch from telogen to anagen via a canonical Wnt signalling pathway to promote the proliferation of matrix cells.
3) https://portlandpress.com/bioscirep...10b-promotes-hair-follicles-growth-and-dermal (recent study in Rabbits though)

Abstract​

Wnt signaling plays an important role in the growth and development of hair follicles (HFs). Among the signaling molecules, Wnt10b was shown to promote the differentiation of primary skin epithelial cells toward the hair shaft and inner root sheath of the HF cells in mice in vitro. Whisker HFs were isolated from Rex rabbits and cultured in vitro to measure hair shaft growth. Meanwhile, dermal papilla cells (DPCs) were isolated and cultured in vitro. Treatment with AdWnt10b or the Wnt/β-Catenin Pathway inhibitor, XAV939, assessed the DPCs proliferation by CCK-8 assay. And the cell cycle was also analyzed by flow cytometry. We found that Wnt10b could promote elongation of the hair shaft, whereas XAV-939 treatment could eliminated this phenomenon. AdWnt10b treatment promoted the proliferation and induced G1/S transition of DPCs. AdWnt10b stimulation up-regulated β-Catenin protein in DPCs. Inhibition of Wnt/β-Catenin signaling by XAV-939 could decreased the basal and Wnt10b-enhanced proliferation of DPCs. And could also suppress the cell cycle progression in DPCs. In summary, our study demonstrates that Wnt10b could promote HFs growth and proliferation of DPCs via the Wnt/β-Catenin signaling pathway in Rex rabbits.
4) (Recent good study for the WNT beta Catenin Pathway in General)
From the study above:

Wnt.jpg

My "concerns":

Vanillic Acid: Vanillic acid (4-hydroxy-3-methoxybenzoic acid) is a dihydroxybenzoic acid derivative used as a flavoring agent. It is an oxidized form of vanillin. It is also an intermediate in the production of vanillin from ferulic acid.
Methyl Vanillate: Methyl vanillate is a benzoate ester that is the methyl ester of vanillic acid. It has a role as an antioxidant and a plant metabolite. It is a benzoate ester, a member of phenols and an aromatic ether. It derives from a vanillic acid.
http://www.biomolther.org/journal/view.html?volume=28&number=4&spage=354 ( Vanillic Acid Stimulates Anagen Signaling via the PI3K/Akt/ β-Catenin Pathway in Dermal Papilla Cells->Decent effects)

(Vanillic acid restores DHT-downregulated β-catenin level in DPCs

Dihydrotestosterone, implicated in the development of Androgenetic Alopecia, suppresses the cell-cycle progression and Wnt/β-catenin pathway in DPCs (Kang et al., 2015). To determine whether vanillic acid could restore the downregulation of β-catenin by DHT, DPCs were treated with DHT (100 nM) in the absence or presence of vanillic acid (10 μg/mL) for 24 h. The decreased levels of β-catenin and Cox-2, a target gene of β-catenin, observed in the DHT treated cells were restored by vanillic acid (Fig. 4A). Confocal microscopy data showed that DHT decreased the level of β-catenin, but pretreatment with vanillic acid attenuated the DHT-induced decrease of β-catenin level (Fig. 4B). These results suggest that vanillic acid can restore the DHT-induced downregulation of the Wnt/β-catenin pathway.)

Although,

To examine whether vanillic acid activates the Wnt/β-catenin pathway, DPCs were stimulated with vanillic acid (10 μg/mL) for 0-120 min. As shown in Fig. 3A, vanillic acid increased the levels of phospho(ser9)-GSK3β, phospho(ser552)-β-catenin, and phospho(ser675)-β-catenin after 15-120 min. Confocal microscopy data showed that vanillic acid increased the levels of phospho(ser552)-β-catenin and phospho(ser675)-β-catenin in the cytoplasm and nucleus (Fig. 3B, 3C). The phosphorylation of β-catenin by minoxidil was increased similarly to that by the vanillic acid (Fig. 3B, 3C). These results indicate that vanillic acid could increase the levels of active β-catenins via the regulation of GSK3β. GSK3β is a downstream target of PI3K/Akt, which in turn regulates the expression of β-catenin (Monick et al., 2001). To evaluate the mechanism underlying the activation of the Wnt/β-catenin pathway by vanillic acid via PI3K/Akt, we examined the levels of phospho(ser675)-β-catenin, β-catenin, and Cox-2, a target gene of β-catenin, following a 24 h treatment with vanillic acid in the presence or absence of wortmannin. As shown in Fig. 3D, vanillic acid increased the levels of phospho(ser675)-β-catenin, β-catenin, Cox-2, and cyclin D1, and the increased levels of these proteins were attenuated by wortmannin (Fig. 3D). These results suggest that the activation of the Akt pathway by vanillic acid contributes to the activation of the Wnt/β-catenin pathway.

From Conclusions:

(As shown in Fig. 3D, vanillic acid also upregulated the levels of Cox-2 and cyclin D1, which are the target genes of β-catenin, and the level of β-catenin. These changes were attenuated by wortmannin, indicating that the vanillic acid-mediated proliferation in DPCs is regulated by the PI3K/Akt/Wnt/β-catenin pathway. Consistent with this notion, minoxidil prolongs the duration of the anagen phase, possibly, due to the activation of the Wnt/β-catenin pathway by altering the PKA and Akt pathways in human DPCs (Kwack et al., 2011). Therefore, based on the above mechanism, vanillic acid could activate the anagen phase and promote hair growth.

DHT, a potent androgen, plays a crucial role in the pathogenesis of Androgenetic Alopecia (Sinclair, 1998). Our previous study partially supports the DHT-mediated Androgenetic Alopecia development, demonstrating that DHT can attenuate the cell cycle progression by inhibiting translocation of β-catenin into the nucleus in DPCs (Kang et al., 2015). In this study, we demonstrated that vanillic acid exhibits a protective effect on the downregulation of β-catenin by DHT (Fig. 4). In addition, we investigated the effects of vanillic acid on the levels of growth factors, the opening of KATP channels, and the inhibition of the TGF-β pathway related to the regulation of the hair growth (Guo et al., 1996; Suzuki et al., 2000; Yano et al., 2001; Soma et al., 2002; Shorter et al., 2008). However, we observed that vanillic acid does not affect the levels of VEGF, FGF-7, and FGF-10 mRNA, the opening of KATP channels, or the phosphorylation of smad2/3, a mediator of the TGF-β pathway (data not shown).
In conclusion, we evaluated the effects of vanillic acid on the proliferation of DPCs and verified that vanillic acid selectively regulates the PI3K/Akt/Wnt/β-catenin pathway. These findings suggest that vanillic acid could stimulate the anagen phase by activating the PI3K/Akt/Wnt/β-catenin pathway and potentially alleviate hair loss.)

So, if I understand correctly they are to 2 negative factors here from the Vanillic Acid but the positive effects, they seem very very good as well. The "negatives" : Regulation of GSK3β and the increased levels of Cox-2.
If I am not wrong, we need to inhibit GSK3β and the increment to the Cox-2, it will lead to an increment to PGE2 but PGD2 as well??

BUT Pegasus mentioned this:

PGE2 regulates wnt activity by direct phosphorylation of β-catenin and GSK3β

Our work shows that PGE2 acts via cAMP/PKA signaling to directly modify β-catenin stability and emphasizes the functional importance and evolutionary conservation of these interactions in organ development and regeneration. PGE2-mediated regulation of Wnt signaling was previously demonstrated in cell lines. The proposed biochemical mechanisms mediating the interaction are remarkably diverse and may depend on the particular cell line studied (Clevers, 2006). Castellone et al. used colon cancer cell lines to demonstrate PGE2/PI3K-mediated activation of Akt, leading to dissociation of Axin1 from the destruction complex (Castellone et al., 2005). While we cannot exclude the existence of this biochemical interaction in vivo, our studies suggest that activation of PKA is the functionally significant effector downstream of PGE2 in HSCs. Likewise, both phosphorylation of GSK3β and β-catenin by PGE2-based activation of PKA have been implicated in Wnt signaling regulation in vitro. (vanillic acid increased the levels of phospho(ser9)-GSK3β, phospho(ser552)-β-catenin, and phospho(ser675)-β-catenin after 15-120 min) Fujino et al. used the transformed HEK293 cell line and showed that both PKA and PI3K could function downstream of PGE2 to phosphorylate GSK3β (Fujino et al., 2002). However, PGE1-induced activation of PKA and phosphorylation of β-catenin at S675 was cell-line dependent (Hino et al., 2005). While we found both phosphorylation events occur in the presence of PGE2 in vivo, it remains to be determined if phosphorylation of β-catenin and GSK3β each play a significant role in the regulation of wnt activity by PGE2 in HSCs, especially given a recently proposed functional redundancy of GSK3β with GSK3α (Doble et al., 2007).

PGE2 may have co-evolved with Wnt as a mechanism to rapidly upregulate cellular proliferation to foster organ repair. In this setting, PGE2 - which is produced locally in response to tissue damage - is required for and can enhance the proliferative effects initiated by wnt activitation.

Evolutionarily, what was greatly beneficial for wound healing – the coordinated pro-proliferative, anti-apoptotic effects of wnt and PGE2, may be detrimental in cases of chronic inflammation or constitutive pathway activation and lead to tumor initiation and growth.

All these are by the Vanillic Acid. Although, I couldn't find any other properties for Methyl Vanillate (MV) but I believe that since it is derived from Vanillic Acid, as en ester, probably it will act the same way. (Both Vanillic Acid and MV are pretty cheap)

So, If have understood correctly, these regulations of GSK3β and Cox-2, provided only positive effects rather than negative effects??

If you have some spare time, please elaborate and shed some light. Thank you very much all of you.
(Sorry if I have mistakes in my text).

Last edited:

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone that could shed some light here and explain better or even correct me? Sorry for the bump. Thank you very much.

Ganked By DHT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone that could shed some light here and explain better or even correct me? Sorry for the bump. Thank you very much.
Lots of things can target Wnt/β‐catenin, secondly 6% increase is pretty bad, thirdly the study is on women.

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lots of things can target Wnt/β‐catenin, secondly 6% increase is pretty bad, thirdly the study is on women.
Thanks for responding back. Yes I know efficacy it's not very strong plus the study on women. However, could be one of the alternatives for the WNT-Beta Catenin pathway. My problem now is if I have understood correctly that this regulation of GSK3β is positive, along with regulation of Cox-2 (Probably the regulation of Cox-2 will lead to an increment of both PGD2 and PGE2, so I don't know if still this increment will bad or not, since PGE2 will go up as well- but this is reffering to Vanillic Acid. I can't find any other information for MV).

Last edited:

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi pegasus2, very inspired by your thread thanks for everything!

I only have access to Latanaprost in my compounding pharmacy (price dropped a lot actually) and not Bimatoprost/similars like you using which require higher dosage.

Everyone quotes the same study ( https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21875758/ ) for 0.1% Latanaprost, but the study actually used ONE DROP (50 μL) in a microarea of the patients. They also concluded this is close to the maximum tolerated dosage.

The only one internet user I found who tried replicate the 0.1% study adding all over scalp and reported horrible throat inflammation sides and had to stop.

The lab says standard Latanaprost dose for eye/lashes regrowth is 0.005%. I apply 2ML all over scalp, so 2ML at 0.005% would be equivalent to 100μL at 0.1% (2 drops of study dosage).

TLDR: Is 2ML 0.005% Latanaprost going to work or it wont do sh*t? can anyone suggest a reasonable Latanaprost dosage to guarantee results but no crazy sides without blindly quoting the same study that only used 1 drop? Thanks!

Last edited:

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is oral minoxidil twice a day more effective than once a day?
I'm taking once a day atm

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is the following Estriol cream effective or is it just a waste of time and money? It's difficult to get estriol in the UK.

Evalon Cream (Estriol) 15g/Tube 0.1%

Ganked By DHT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is the following Estriol cream effective or is it just a waste of time and money? It's difficult to get estriol in the UK.

Evalon Cream (Estriol) 15g/Tube 0.1%
Some people use that one, it would give you 150mg estriol which is alright but I dont know what youre paying for it

Ganked By DHT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for responding back. Yes I know efficacy it's not very strong plus the study on women. However, could be one of the alternatives for the WNT-Beta Catenin pathway. My problem now is if I have understood correctly that this regulation of GSK3β is positive, along with regulation of Cox-2 (Probably the regulation of Cox-2 will lead to an increment of both PGD2 and PGE2, so I don't know if still this increment will bad or not, since PGE2 will go up as well- but this is reffering to Vanillic Acid. I can't find any other information for MV).
I dont know either, I will research it. Vanillic acid is found in highest amount of plants in Angelica Sinesis / Dong Quai which is kind of interesting.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some people use that one, it would give you 150mg estriol which is alright but I dont know what youre paying for it
It costs about £25. How are people applying it?