hair thins in summer and thickens in winter?!

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

Over the past 3/4 years of thinning/hairloss i have noticed that my hair gets slightly thicker in winter but thins at an increased rate in summer?! is there any studies done on this subject?

overall my hair has thinned alot over 3/4years....

anyone else experienced this?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Br J Dermatol. 1991 Feb;124(2):146-51.
"Seasonal changes in human hair growth." Randall VA, Ebling FJ.
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Bradford, U.K.

Various parameters of hair growth were determined every 28 days for 18 months in 14 healthy Caucasian men aged 18-39 with indoor occupations in Sheffield, U.K. (latitude 53.4 degrees N). In the scalp the proportion of follicles in anagen reached a single peak of over 90% in March, and fell steadily to a trough in September. The number of shed hairs reached a peak around August/September, when least follicles were in anagen. At this time the average loss of hairs was about 60 per day, more than double that during the preceding winter. The rate of growth of the beard was lowest in January and February and increased steadily from March to July to reach a peak about 60% above the winter level. The rate of growth of thigh hair showed a similar pattern though with less pronounced differences. No seasonal fluctuations in finger- or toenail growth were detected.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
mj9, my hair is the same way too. Bryan, my biggest peak of thickness is in March. That makes sense. That is also the month in which I was born so does not have any correlation too?

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
mj9, my hair is the same way too. Bryan, my biggest peak of thickness is in March. That makes sense. That is also the month in which I was born so does not have any correlation too?

well i am glad i m not alone.... thought i was imagining things... :roll:

bryan - thanks for the study...

I started big 3 a couple of months ago so the thinning has not been too bad and i think i can see small vellus hair!! if the big 3 work for me then i think i might get a lot of thickening in winter (around sept/novemebr) so cant wait to see what happens... :punk:

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Definately thinner hair through summer. I am not really a camera man but i always take pictures from two events: February carnaval and august vacation. Over the last three years I see this pattern if i look at the pictures: Thicker hair on the carnaval thinner on the vacations.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
sphlanx2006 said:
Definately thinner hair through summer. I am not really a camera man but i always take pictures from two events: February carnaval and august vacation. Over the last three years I see this pattern if i look at the pictures: Thicker hair on the carnaval thinner on the vacations.

i doubt it noticeable enough to tell from a regular picture.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Phew, and what a great post :)

I noticed exactly the same thing and thought I was going nuts or getting paranoid.

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
Yup...definitly...funny, there maybe no consence about what is the best treatments, but at last we have one related to this subject :agree: ...guess this is one of those things that nobody starts, because either they think they're imagining things, or because they think is so "normal" that there's no need to report...either way, i'm glad someone brought to surface, i wonder how many important things out there, that we "forget" to mention, that may help in the road to male pattern baldness cure :roll:

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
sphlanx2006 said:

Yes it is. And its not just from 1 year. I mean, pictures from carnival2005 and summer05, carnival06 and summer 06 etc...

Its not something to freak about, but it is noticeable.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
sphlanx2006 said:
hair today gone tomorrow said:
sphlanx2006 said:

Yes it is. And its not just from 1 year. I mean, pictures from carnival2005 and summer05, carnival06 and summer 06 etc...

Its not something to freak about, but it is noticeable.

can you post them so we can all have a look?!

i cant wait for the winter to see my hair thicken up! (how often do you hear that?!) :roll:

chancer

Established Member
Reaction score
makes sense in a way i guiess....

Its bit like a pet dog...

for anyone who as lived with a dog you will have heard of the terms "winter Coats" & "summer Coats" in winter their hair is very thick to protect from the contiions and in the spring they start to shed (known as multing or moulting) so they arent has hot in the warm summer months.... then they thicken up in the autumn ready for the winter months again...

Im sure us humans probably do that to a lesser degree...

Obsidian

Reaction score
Chancer pretty much nailed it down from what I thought it was because in my summer pictures even before hairloss started my hair looked thinner but suprise, in the winter my hair looked like jungle brush in how thick it was.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i think this is the first time in my life i am actually looking forward to everyday getting cold as i am getting very excited about my hair thickening up again which i hopefully will keep when summer 09 arrives and i can (fingers crossed) style my hair again :woot:

my hairs doing funny things recently and i thick they might be getting thicker even though i am constantly shedding...

bring on winter!

GeminiX

Reaction score
heh, remarkably on topic, but literally 5 minutes ago I looked at my hair in the bathroom mirror, and thought "hey, lookin' good" :)

Can only mean winter is coming lol