Hair System Or Other Solution For Lichen Planopilaris

lukgracz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to ask the experts here for an advice. I've been dealing with one of the most common forms of scarring alopecia - lichen planopilaris (LPP), in addition to androgenetic alopecia - both of them coexist. It is being teated by a dermatologist and is much less active than in the beginning. Nevertheless, I have lost hair in patches and soon will not be able to cover them.

I am looking for a solution that could be useful in my case. Hair systems, which are shown in many videos online, are perfect. However, as I can see all require shaving the existing har in order to attach the piece either by glue or by tape. I however need access to the scalp to deliver topical medications from time to time as well as my doctor has to see it every month. Sometimes steroid injections are also performed so there has to be easy access to the scalp. My doctor also says that better avoid shaving the scalp as this may irritate the already sensitive skin. In general my doctor agrees to a hair system, even with the tape or an adhesive, provided all above conditions are met.

So, taking into account all those circumstances, are there any options for this case? Is there anything that can be done to cover this or not really? Are there any hair systems that do not require shaving hair and can be easily taken off (I'm not saying classical wigs)? I still have a lot of my own hair so the best would be something that can integrate my hair and those from the piece.

Thanks!
Łukasz

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Lukasz

With a lace system you don't need to shave slick - you can just buzz the hair down to near-zero with a beard trimmer. I would guess that is much less likely to cause irritation of the scalp. Do you think that could work for you?

As for easy access to the scalp, there are tapes which are specifically created for men who want to remove their hairpiece every night for bed. You could use those. If you have carefully created a nice undetectable hairline it is a nuisance to have to take the system off and spoil it. But if you use daily wear tape it is easy enough to pull the back of the system up and access the scalp, just leaving the hairline in place. Would that work for you?

Noah

lukgracz

My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing is I still have a lot of my own hair which cover most of these LPP areas (if kept longer) and it would be a shame to cut them. I have intact hairline and so on... My biggest concern is the crown which has thinned from Androgenetic Alopecia and there is coexisting LPP so here it's very difficult to cover that. I checked CNC hair system where the adhesive is put on existing hair, but it's so expensive.... Also what about a net through which you pull your own hair as done frequently in women? This would work for me I think.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem with anything that is glued to clipped to existing hair, is the potential for traction alopecia. In an attempt to "save your hair", you will potentially wind up losing more of it.

If you look at videos on Youtube of men getting hair systems installed, many are still young, and still, have quite a bit of their own hair left. The idea is to achieve a natural a look as possible. This usual entails shaving (or clipping) off a significant amount of bio hair as possible. The more hair you try to save will make it more difficult for you to get a natural look, and be more of a hassle to maintain, remove and replace.

You should give that some serious thought.

Best,

Steve

Noah

Reaction score
I agree with Baldbearded; wearing a piece over your natural hair would be uncomfortable, messy, and a poor result. The hair through the netting idea would be even worse. It sounds like you may only need a crown piece, but I would strongly recommend that you buzz the area under whatever unit you choose. If it is decent viable hair it will grow back again, and if it doesn't grow back again that's why you need the hair system.

lukgracz

My Regimen
Reaction score
What about Cesare Ragazzi CNC hair system guys? Look here for example:

It is very expensive but does not require shaving the existing hair.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
If that is a result of their work, I would say, stay away. The hairline in the 1st video goes straight across, at an angle! Not good. I have read all the hype, all of the "testing" they do to make sure that whatever they use is hypo-allergenic, and the factory is in Italy instead of China.

In the second video, the base looks incredibly thick, and in the final results, it looks like he is wearing a wig.

I do know that the base price is about 10X MORE than a standard custom hair system from a place that is far less HYPE!

Looking at the videos above, I don't see the benefit of keeping the thinning hair? Psychological? No idea. From what I have read, the cleaner the area (and smoother), the better the bond you will get. In your case, you may not need a bond that lasts a long time, if you are going to be removing frequently. I don't believe that the bond they are doing is meant for daily removal.

Again... I don't get the point of keeping hair that you are covering unless you think you are going to be "cured" soon, and this is just a temporary solution.

Also, you are looking at, from what I have read a starting point of $3,500 for a system. My people charge $795 for a complete custom system.

Best,

Steve

Noah

Reaction score
Agreed; that looks terrible - the base is like a rubber mat. That is 1970's technology.

If you really want to keep your hair, you can do what these guys are doing with any system - just slather glue all over the natural hair and stick the piece on top. The result will be mediocre (although maybe passable if it is just a crown piece) and as Baldbeard says, there doesn't seem any point apart from as a test run for a few days. But you can do it.

lukgracz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your answers! I have also a question what to do with the sides, my LPP is also slowly attacking the left side of the scalp with small patches slowly slowly appearing (fortunately a bit longer hair still cover this). Those systems usually are placed on top with the sides being you own hair trimmed to blend with the piece, but that may not work in my case as well...

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your answers! I have also a question what to do with the sides, my LPP is also slowly attacking the left side of the scalp with small patches slowly slowly appearing (fortunately a bit longer hair still cover this). Those systems usually are placed on top with the sides being you own hair trimmed to blend with the piece, but that may not work in my case as well...

Always welcome.

In the case of your sides, you can wear a longer style that covers the sides. The other option is a full cap, lace hair system, but that requires even more"attachment". Another option, in your case might just well be an actual full cap wig. It may be less comfortable, but you won't have to worry about adhesive.

@Noah?

S.

lukgracz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello guys @Noah and @BaldBearded again,

I wanted to show you how my scarring alopecia looks like - it is worse than last year. This is the LEFT SIDE of my head with longer hair. I used to have shorter but now it is impossible... I went to several companies in Warsaw which specialize in hair system asking what can be done. And not much. The traditional systems they do are made for Androgenetic Alopecia and cover the crown area with the sides usually trimmed and blended with it. I'm so ANXIOUS about this condition, not much can be done for more or less good crown and this on the sides.... :(

Looking for any suggestions who else I could contact...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 440
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 531
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 575

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
The photos basically show the crown/top, and not the sides. You can still do a partial if you have decent sides. If the sides are weak, you can buzz them short, and do an undercut (the style in my avatar), but you don't have to go as drastic as I did.

I have no idea why the salons in Warsaw are not willing to work with you, you can even do a full cap if you chose to. Are you still reluctant to buzz your existing hair?

Noah has some links to places all over that would probably be quite willing to work with you, and I have my guys, also.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Lukgracz

That looks like standard male pattern balding on the crown, which is easily fixed with a small crown piece. It will be completely undetectable. I would recommend that you buzz the hair underneath the piece (which is pretty sparse anyway) for the best result, but if that bothers you you could glue the hairpiece over your existing hair, and it will still look good.

I think it is really worth you trying this - it is a quick easy fix for your male pattern baldness on the crown, but it will also give you information about whether a hairpiece can help with your LPP.

I will PM you some suggestions for suppliers. Baldbearded as a supplier that he has had a good result from too.

Noah