Hair System Maintenance During Crossfit

Tanmay Bhattacharya

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have been on a clip system for the last two months.
To be honest the clip isn't very comfortable, I was thinking if switching to a glued on system would make it more comfortable?

Also I do crossfit, if any one here does crossfit too, would love to have your opinion on how the system stays during intense crossfit classes. Becusee normally the boxes do not have ait conditioning and the workouts get pretty intense. And also what your maintenance regime like?

Noah

Reaction score
I haven't tried a clip-on system. They are rarely used in the West nowadays, because of the detectability to the touch, and also because in the medium term the clips cause traction alopecia. They have been almost entirely superseded by glued-on systems.

Glued/taped-on systems are very comfortable, to the point that you can hardly feel them, and other people can hardly feel them. I work out pretty intensely in my lace system 2 of 3 times a week, and I also do cycling and road racing with no problems. Provided you opt for a mesh base, and provided you let the adhesives cure properly before you start exercising, I don't find there is any problem.

Do you take you system off at night?

Tanmay Bhattacharya

My Regimen
Reaction score
I haven't tried a clip-on system. They are rarely used in the West nowadays, because of the detectability to the touch, and also because in the medium term the clips cause traction alopecia. They have been almost entirely superseded by glued-on systems.

Glued/taped-on systems are very comfortable, to the point that you can hardly feel them, and other people can hardly feel them. I work out pretty intensely in my lace system 2 of 3 times a week, and I also do cycling and road racing with no problems. Provided you opt for a mesh base, and provided you let the adhesives cure properly before you start exercising, I don't find there is any problem.

I do yes. Partly the reson I went for the clip on system was that I wanted to give hsirsystems a shot. Before actually shaving off my head.

Noah

Reaction score
Well I guess that might be a reason to stick with clips. There are a few guys who use low-tac tape and take their glued/taped-on systems off every night, but it's rarer. Generally they are designed to be kept on for 7-14 days at a time.

Tanmay Bhattacharya

My Regimen
Reaction score

The other question that I had was, should I go for a Swiss lace or a poly unit?
Also I think I would be comfortable with doing a maintenance like once a week..... Do you take the the whole thing off and refix in your weekly maintance?

Noah

Reaction score
The other question that I had was, should I go for a Swiss lace or a poly unit?
Also I think I would be comfortable with doing a maintenance like once a week..... Do you take the the whole thing off and refix in your weekly maintance?

Personally I think if you sweat heavily, it has to be lace. Lace lets your sweat escape as normal, whereas with poly it is trapped under the base.

Yes, I take the whole unit off and reattach every weekend. Actually I have two identical units, which I swap over, but you could do it with just one unit - it would just take a little longer.

Tanmay Bhattacharya

My Regimen
Reaction score
Personally I think if you sweat heavily, it has to be lace. Lace lets your sweat escape as normal, whereas with poly it is trapped under the base.

Yes, I take the whole unit off and reattach every weekend. Actually I have two identical units, which I swap over, but you could do it with just one unit - it would just take a little longer.
Allright, I am just a little concerned about taking it off and putting it back.... Like wether I would be able to do it or not. But I guess it's just a matter of practice after. Might get better at it afyer some time!
Should I go for a lace with poly perimeter for the hairline? Would that be a good option? Or is full lace the way to go?

Noah

Reaction score
Yes, it's not hard. You will have it down after a few goes.

A poly horseshoe rim around the back and sides is quite a good idea - it gives you a smooth robust surface for attaching tape to, and it's easy to clean up. It does make the system slighly more detectable to the touch though.

I would avoid poly at the hairline though - it will spoil the undetectability of your hairline.

I sent you a PM btw.

Tanmay Bhattacharya

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it's not hard. You will have it down after a few goes.

A poly horseshoe rim around the back and sides is quite a good idea - it gives you a smooth robust surface for attaching tape to, and it's easy to clean up. It does make the system slighly more detectable to the touch though.

I would avoid poly at the hairline though - it will spoil the undetectability of your hairline.

I sent you a PM btw.

Oh I was under that impression that poly 0.03 mm is more undectactable than the Swiss lace. As in it gives the better hairline?

Noah

Reaction score
Different people have different views about this. I would say if they are well-attached they both look equally good and undetectable, but if you have having a bad hair day lace is a bit more forgiving.

They work in different ways. Skin of course is a translucent plastic membrane, and if it is glued to your skin it takes on the colour of your skin and is very hard to distinguish from skin. The only problem is the edge at the hairline. There is always that hard edge, and if the membrane becomes detached it becomes visible, like a piece of whitish tape at your hairline, and it can happen without you knowing.

IMG_3233.PNG

Lace is a fine mesh. It doesn't disappear in the same way - rather it blends into the background. The tiny strands of the mesh look like tiny hairs or the tiny lines on your skin, so people can look right at it and not see it. It doesn't have a hard edge - it peters out in frayed threads at the edge, so there is no edge for anyone to focus on. If a tiny bit of lace does come unstuck, it is more likely that anyone looking at it will think it is just a bit of dry skin or some hair sitting in a funny way.

That's my take, anyway.