Hair System, Looking for advice

paphotoguyHLT

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a 38 y/o guy and my hairline has been steadily receding for the last 10 years. I wasn't too concerned about it as the change was very gradual, but recently I've seen a few snapshots of myself from the back and I realized I'm getting quite a spot back there. Add that in with the front getting thin and I'm starting to get pretty self conscious about it. I'm a professional photographer and my job has me working around young women and men every day and I'm starting to feel like grandpa around them. It's a bit of a kick in the pants, to say the least.

I'm very interested in getting a hair replacement system but I'm completely clueless where to start. I live in rural Western Pennsylvania and I don't believe there are any clinics within an hour of me. I'm not against going the mail order route, but I'd love to hear some personal experiences. I don't want it to be an obvious piece, of course, so my biggest worry is the fit and match. My hair's probably 40% gray right now (honestly, that doesn't bother me at all) so I'm in between. I'm also not completely bald up top, so I don't know how the system would work.

Again, I'm new to all of this and quite clueless as I'm sure it evident. I don't know anyone I can personally ask about this and I don't want to start randomly calling up salons and telling them of my problems so I'm hoping I can find some help, and understanding ears, here.

I'm attaching 2 pics of my current situation. And yes, I know I need a haircut badly.

2016-01-16 00.34.28.jpg2016-01-16 00.34.55.jpg

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Photoguy

Not to rub salt in the wound, but you don't look like a 38 y/o to be brutally honest.

I have worn a system for a few years now and am happy with what it has done for my appearance and confidence. I am one of only a small handful of satisfied wearers who post here, but my sense is that hair system are increasingly being considered by younger guys as a means of dealing with hairloss. The technology has improved dramatically in the last decade, to the point where they truly are now pretty much undetectable and secure, and the price is reasonable.

Interestingly Hair Direct, which is one of the largest mail order suppliers of hair system, is based in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Although their business is mail order, they do welcome people to turn up and speak to their staff on the premises. My impression is that their systems are neither the best quality nor the best value on the market, but they are fairly reasonable, and they clearly have a big following. More importantly, it would be a place nearby where you could go to get a free and I think friendly introduction to what hair replacement is about. So you might think about that.

Aside from that, I am happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Best of luck

Noah

paphotoguyHLT

Reaction score
Hey Noah - Thanks for the quick reply. I know I had my forehead so crazy wrinkled in the one pic, haha. I was trying to look up at the phone to make sure I was aiming it at my baldness. Here's a straight on shot of my hairline. I've always had a pretty high forehead, but it's definitely higher and MUCH thinner. Also, my hair was dyed in this pic.

hair.jpg

I've been checking out Hair Direct and Northwest Lace too. Do you mind if I ask where you get your system?

Noah

Reaction score
Ah, that's better. You would look great with a half-moon shaped partial piece which would just fill in the hair you have lost. The rest of your hair looks good and thick.

I use Northwest Lace, Toplace and Coolpiece, as the mood takes me. They are all good value and easy to deal with.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think the first two photos are more recent and as such Im tempted to go for the custom made topper.

The first two things you need to do is read and research and visiting boards like this and asking is a great way to start. The pros and cons of lace, skin, bleached knots etc - really the basics just to get an understanding.

The next thing is to decide DIY vs Salon. The will depend on factors like location, cost, confidence etc.