Hair System For Hot Humid Sunny Sweaty Asia

thinningasian88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all, I hail from Asia, specifically sunny Singapore. The weather is blazing for 365 days a year and its impossible to go out without perspiration unless I stay in indoors perpetually.

A little background: I have been thinning since 2012, gradually, but aggressive thinning in crown area and possibly the top started to take place late last year or earlier this year. Now my scalp @ crown area is exposed as if there is a big hole. I had been on finasteride pill since about 6 months but it didn't work, and instead, the thinning seem to have accelerated if any. About 4 months back embarked on low-light laser treatment (LLLT) so its a combination of pill + laser, but to no avail. Am not on minoxidil. Again, the aggressive thinning continues. To cover this up, I resort to hair fibers which means every morning I sprinkle them on like pepper just to cover those skin areas. Somehow it gives off an artificially powdery look.

Hence am now at a stage of considering shaving and adopting a system. It seems like most people on this forum is on DIY maintenance. However, I fear I might screw things up so I'm leaning towards a "package" concept where I would rely on the system provider to do regular maintenance / cleaning for me. Is that recommended?

Hopefully able to get more insights from fellow sufferers based in hot humid countries.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in Israel, as it is not quite as humid, it still stays hot, was 32º on Saturday, I also perspire.

A few things that can help you.

1. Use a lace base, as it breaths. Lets the sweat evaporate.

2. Use a very good quality scalp prep. Walkers JUST came out with "Ultra Hold Sport", I am using it. it's amazing. It's like paint primer for your head. You still need to start with a meticulously clean scalp. I like to start shaved, some do stubble.

3. Depending on your chosen hairstyle (visible or covered hairline), you can do ALL tape, or tape and glued hairline. This allows for the most exposed skin under the lace.

4. Ghostbond XL is a good choice for glue, as it holds up pretty well to sweat.

I think you will find that DIY is really easy, and the package price you pay will cost far more than the supplies (and convenience) to do it at home, yourself.

Best,

Steve

Steve Marz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow baldbearded, I would image its tough having a hair system in Israel with all that heat, plus and forgive me for asking isn't like a war zone out there, at least the way the western media here in America portrays. I do not know how you have time for a hair system if everything going on in your great nation.

I guess what I am asking is it tough living with a hair system in Israel? I mean not only is there heat there is wars and sadly violence going on there too, at least that what I see on tv and documentaries. Just curious?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow baldbearded, I would image its tough having a hair system in Israel with all that heat, plus and forgive me for asking isn't like a war zone out there, at least the way the western media here in America portrays. I do not know how you have time for a hair system if everything going on in your great nation.

I guess what I am asking is it tough living with a hair system in Israel? I mean not only is there heat there is wars and sadly violence going on there too, at least that what I see on tv and documentaries. Just curious?

Hi Steve,

Well, frankly I live near Tel Aviv, and my day to day life is not very different from the day to day life I lived in Seattle a few years ago. I sit in hideous traffic twice a day, I pay too much for everything, and constantly complain about the government. It's certainly warmer, however, and significantly less rainy.

There is certainly stuff going on at the border in Gaza, currently, for sure. The things that are going on in the region, are certainly, concerning, to say the least, but your day to day is keeping afloat, paying your bills, and living your life the best that you can.

In terms of having hair, well lots of options in the US, and had I stayed in Seattle, I would probably be a client of NWL. I have yet to find a stylist who will work with me, they won't work on someone who has not bought a system from them. I am happy with Onehead, and won't pay someone $2,000.00 for an inferior POS, so I am stuck with this Viking look, at least for now.

I would probably, also wear for two weeks at a time, instead of having to remove and replace once a week.

Best,

Steve

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Asian

I have worked in Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and southern China, which are as sticky and hot as Singapore. You can wear a system in this climate, but you absolutely have to choose a lace system. Don't even think of getting a "skin" system. Lace units are really no hotter than your natural hair would have been if you hadn't lost it. There is no weight or heat-retention in the lace.

Whether you choose to do your own ordering and maintenance, or you go to a salon to do it, is really a matter of taste. There are pros and cons to each, and I don't think the hot sticky climate has any bearing on it. The only thing I would mention is that you have to be in a cool dry place when you install your system and for long enough afterwards to allow the adhesives to cure, which I find means 3 or 4 hours. In Singapore that means staying in the aircon.

Do you have hair at the hairline, which you could continue to use with a system behind it?

thinningasian88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in Israel, as it is not quite as humid, it still stays hot, was 32º on Saturday, I also perspire.

A few things that can help you.

1. Use a lace base, as it breaths. Lets the sweat evaporate.

2. Use a very good quality scalp prep. Walkers JUST came out with "Ultra Hold Sport", I am using it. it's amazing. It's like paint primer for your head. You still need to start with a meticulously clean scalp. I like to start shaved, some do stubble.

3. Depending on your chosen hairstyle (visible or covered hairline), you can do ALL tape, or tape and glued hairline. This allows for the most exposed skin under the lace.

4. Ghostbond XL is a good choice for glue, as it holds up pretty well to sweat.

I think you will find that DIY is really easy, and the package price you pay will cost far more than the supplies (and convenience) to do it at home, yourself.

Best,

Steve

Thanks BaldBearded, I had started with a lace system today.

The system was amazing... It blended totally in. On point 3, mine was an all glue system I believe. I hope that can last the 1-2 weeks they promised me in between maintenance. Will start off with letting them do the maintenance and I'll see how.

thinningasian88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Asian

I have worked in Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and southern China, which are as sticky and hot as Singapore. You can wear a system in this climate, but you absolutely have to choose a lace system. Don't even think of getting a "skin" system. Lace units are really no hotter than your natural hair would have been if you hadn't lost it. There is no weight or heat-retention in the lace.

Whether you choose to do your own ordering and maintenance, or you go to a salon to do it, is really a matter of taste. There are pros and cons to each, and I don't think the hot sticky climate has any bearing on it. The only thing I would mention is that you have to be in a cool dry place when you install your system and for long enough afterwards to allow the adhesives to cure, which I find means 3 or 4 hours. In Singapore that means staying in the aircon.

Do you have hair at the hairline, which you could continue to use with a system behind it?

Hi Noah, thanks for sharing your advice. Yes I opted for a lace system of all natural human hair even though they offered something more expensive which is a kind of synthetic hair I believe. After spending nearly 2.5 hours and countless measurements and the staff walking in and out to do trimming, I had gotten not just thicker hair back but also the kind of stylish hairstyle I've always desired. It was a style that my original hair could never achieve. I was so pleased I went walking around town and into the Apple shop just to test if people could tell. So far everyone behaved normally. I hope there's nothing fishy about the system under bright lights.

Yes, I do still have alot of hair at my forehead/fringe and the sides which is blended in. I been told to come back in 2 weeks for them to do the maintenance and clean-up as I'm not leading any kind of very active lifestyle and I work day and night in the office.

thinningasian88

My Regimen
Reaction score
sounds familiar.

Lol yes. Maybe that's one of the causes that resulted in thinning. Work stress and long hours. Now, however, I have something new to worry. Worry that the glue might not stick or it cause the hairpiece to lift up. That will be a disaster!

thinningasian88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok first day at work with my new hair system. Hmmmm 100 + colleagues passed me by and none bid an eye lid.

Only one remark from the colleague that sat right next to me. "Did you do something to your hair?"

My response, "Yeah, did a light perm to give it some additional volume and dyed it black." Topic closed.

Anyway, how's the best way to maintain a piece? I'm thinking of avoiding the hairdryer completely and letting it natural dry after showering. I did apply some conditioner during the shower as advised by the company.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok first day at work with my new hair system. Hmmmm 100 + colleagues passed me by and none bid an eye lid.

Only one remark from the colleague that sat right next to me. "Did you do something to your hair?"

My response, "Yeah, did a light perm to give it some additional volume and dyed it black." Topic closed.

Anyway, how's the best way to maintain a piece? I'm thinking of avoiding the hairdryer completely and letting it natural dry after showering. I did apply some conditioner during the shower as advised by the company.

Since this hair is NOT being nourished by your own, natural oils, you need to keep it healthy as possible. This means using shampoo for dyed hair, and a spray in conditioner, every day.

I would try to use as LITTLE heat as possible, and air dry if your style allows it.

I would NOT apply conditioner in the shower, as you can get it on the knots, which can loosen the knots. Just spray it on the hair, during styling.

A good leave-in conditioner with sunscreen!

Pics???

:)

Steve

Noah

Reaction score

Haha, very cool. That's exactly the reaction and interaction you are looking for in this situation.

It's important not to over-wash your system - washing once a week with shampoo is enough, because as BB says, it is not being fed oils by your sebaceous glands as growing hair would be, so it doesn't get dirty like growing hair, and it's more vulnerable to being dried out. Apart from that once-a-week shampoo, if you are showering just shampoo your natural sidehair, and let the warm water run through the system and the base mesh. You will find that is enough to keep your system and scalp in good condition. Best to avoid hair dryers.

Enjoy your new hair!

Noah