Hair System Booked. Nervous!! First Time Wearer Uk

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I've posted a few times and i've been sat watching threads for a while now.

I've decided to take the plunge and get a system fitted. I've done some research and i'm travelling 3 hours to get a system done and paid a deposit.

It's only now I'm getting nervous and wish I'd done a bit more research.

The system I'm getting fitted is a skin one and not lace. Everything I read is recommending to get lace. I'm now also worried about it lifting and the lifestyle change etc.

I've been to the salon and met the guy doing it. He's a wearer himself and i've attached pics below of his work.

Can you guys let me know what you think.

I'm paying £450 for it to be done. Then refitted cut clean every 4 weeks that's £40. Eventually I want to be doing this myself, as in ordering, fitting etc, cutting is no problem as my wife is a hair dresser.

Any advice for first time nervous wearers would be appreciated.
Screenshot_20171127-094652.jpg
Screenshot_20171127-094652.jpg
Screenshot_20171127-094628.jpg

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Tom

I had a quick look at Thomas Samson's website. £450 is a good price for a salon fitted system, I suppose partly reflecting the fact it's Kidderminster and not a big urban centre. The website looks pretty genuine and the pictures look good. All the younger guys (35 or less) seem to get the same haircut - a pompadour, thick top, and a close-cropped fade. It's a good hairstyle for a guy who wears a system and they look good, but (1) it's male model hair - not many guys in their 30's have natural hair that luxuriant, so it's pretty eye-catching and probably not a great style to chose if you want to keep your transition under the radar; (2) I wonder what the hairlines look like if you pull the hair back (or the wind blows it back) - does it look natural, or is there an implausible wall of hair?

Here's what I think. For that price it's a good way to dip your toe into hair replacement. The guy is clearly pretty talented. However, I think you need to be quite decided and firm about what look you want, and don't just leave it to him to give you the standard look. I would try to encourage him to go for a less dense less modelish more natural look for you than most of the men on his website. Take some magazine photos with you of what you want, and remember that for a natural look less is more. I also think it would be good to have some discreet highlights put into the front of your system - it will add a bit of movement to it and lighten any appearance of bulkiness.

I have already said my piece (no pun intended) on the other thread about the choice between lace and skin, but both can look good, so I wouldn't consider that to be a dealbreaker.

Just my tuppenceworth. All the best, and let us know how it goes.

Noah

shookwun

Reaction score
Hi Tom

I had a quick look at Thomas Samson's website. £450 is a good price for a salon fitted system, I suppose partly reflecting the fact it's Kidderminster and not a big urban centre. The website looks pretty genuine and the pictures look good. All the younger guys (35 or less) seem to get the same haircut - a pompadour, thick top, and a close-cropped fade. It's a good hairstyle for a guy who wears a system and they look good, but (1) it's male model hair - not many guys in their 30's have natural hair that luxuriant, so it's pretty eye-catching and probably not a great style to chose if you want to keep your transition under the radar; (2) I wonder what the hairlines look like if you pull the hair back (or the wind blows it back) - does it look natural, or is there an implausible wall of hair?

Here's what I think. For that price it's a good way to dip your toe into hair replacement. The guy is clearly pretty talented. However, I think you need to be quite decided and firm about what look you want, and don't just leave it to him to give you the standard look. I would try to encourage him to go for a less dense less modelish more natural look for you than most of the men on his website. Take some magazine photos with you of what you want, and remember that for a natural look less is more. I also think it would be good to have some discreet highlights put into the front of your system - it will add a bit of movement to it and lighten any appearance of bulkiness.

I have already said my piece (no pun intended) on the other thread about the choice between lace and skin, but both can look good, so I wouldn't consider that to be a dealbreaker.

Just my tuppenceworth. All the best, and let us know how it goes.

Noah
GREAT POINTS.

I just dont feel its ever a good idea to get thick hair like this.

it's far safer and more realistic to go with a light density hair piece that will replicate a nice head of hair without warranting unwanted attention.

hair styles like this with thick hair always catch eyes,

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Chaps.

Thanks so much for the advice.

I agree about the thickness. I have been incontact with the guy in the first photo. He went back to have it thinned out but highly recommended Tom to do the work.

My transition won't be that bad. I do have alot of hair and wear a hat mostly. But when not wearing I've been using toppik thickener.

I just worry about skin being detected at the front rather than lace.

Thanks again guys. I'm having fitted on saturday 2nd December. I will post pics

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I personally don't like skin based hair systems, they sweat/itch quickly and the one I had from total cover plus(twice) the skin base was VERY noticable by touch and look if my side/back hair didn't cover it enough or the wind blew.

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi thanks for your reply.

I might have to agree about the itch / sweat factor. I've had my system on for a week now and today is the first day i can feel it on my head.

It's been 3 days since I washed it so maybe that is a factor.

How is your experience with Total Cover Plus. I have heard mixed reviews.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Total Cover Plus was a disaster for me, was my first hair system and lifted after only 4 days both times.
I guess the adhesive they use is crap.

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah i have heard that about Total Cover Plus.

I have even found independent stylist who have a disclaimer on their sites saying they are in now way affiliated with TCP.

I wonder what they use. I've had ghost bond on and I'm a week in and so far so good