Hair System Advice (poly perimeter with lace)

GordonShumway

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been a silent reader for a long time - learned a lot, excellent forum!
After the compliments come the requests :D :D

BTW - English isn't my native language so apologies for any spelling/grammar mistakes...

I'm 40yo, with my third hair system and I'm feeling that it's time to make things better.
I use a full poly perimeter with lace (Swiss//Hollywood/other, who cares...), placing the system 0.5cm after my (thin) front hairline.
I live in a hot and humid country and my skin is unfortunately oily as an olive..:p:confused: so i need to refresh the tape (Walker) every week,
which is exhausting, but that's not what I came to talk about (but tips relating this issue would be great..).

Issues with my current and previous systems:
1. Though I order the lowest density (80%) the system looks too dense and unnatural. I don't want to look 16...I wish too look like a 40yo man that isn't bold..

2. My hair color is uneven, combines light and medium brown, ginger and low amount of gray). Obviously my mediocre hair system has one color only.
3. I cut my hair pretty short, 4-5cm front and 3cm on all other areas. As a result, at list with my systems that, the hair behind the front is jumpy/pointy and adds to the unrealistic look.

At this point I think I hope you are still with me and understand what I'm looking for:
Locally there is no good/affordable solution, so I need a place that can deliver remotely.
Can produce all of the above needs, a system that will survive 5-6 month, not too pricey (I'm used to pay $ 200-250, but knows that quality costs. Will 350-400 be enough?).
I think I want to stick with poly&lace because I'm afraid to change my refresh routine which seems a lot more complicated with skin systems.

Thanks for reading!

1609173739768.png

1609173759616.png

1609174271197.png

Attachments

• 1609173882407.png
    1609173882407.png
    453.4 KB · Views: 116

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly. Ways to make your system more realistic?

How is that system too dense first of all I can see your entire scalp through it in photo 1. The only issue I see with your system is an unnatural hairline/front. This is common with darker haired systems and light skinned people like yourself as there is no natural transition from skin to hair but instead just dark hair right at the root. Properly bleached knots in lace hairlines helps this problem most of the time but with poly your only bet is to dye the very front with peroxide dye. "Nordic Blonde" is my #1 suggestion based on what i've seen and to leave it in for about 30 minutes. After that the very front of the hairline will appear a bit lighter and will make it a much more natural looking transition from skin to hair. Don't worry though it won't end up blonde at all, but just lighter in color. You can even do a test on a cut off area of your next system.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Gordon

My impression from looking at your photographs is that it is the fact that you are placing your system behind your (as you say, very thin) natural hairline which is making it look too dense. The contrast is too great. Also, you are not really getting anything from using the natural hairline. It is too thin to camouflage the front of the hairpiece, and my sense is that it is forcing you to move the hairline of the hairpiece too far up your forehead, which is adding to the artificiality of the look. My recommendation is that you forget that patch of biohair and focus on getting your hair system to the point where you are comfortable using its hairline. I will PM you some thoughts on better suppliers.

If you are in a hot humid country and you have oily skin, it is important that you are getting the maximum breathability. Maybe a full poly perimeter is the wrong choice, and you would be better with an all lace piece. You should be able to get a very solid week-long hold on an all-lace piece from any decent tape.

You mentioned that re-doing your attachment every week is exhausting. I re-do mine every week and I don't find it too bad. I wonder if your process needs to be re-engineered. Can you explain what your procedure is and what products you are using?

One thing that makes the process less stressful is having 2 identical systems, and swapping them when you do your maintenance. The advantage is that you don't have to do everything at once - you can separate the detachment and re-attachment from the clean-up. I can detach, have a shower and re-attach in about 20 - 25 minutes and then I am good to go. I can come back to clean up and prep the used system any time when I have a spare half-hour during the week. It also means you don't have to hang around your place bald while you are waiting for your hair to dry. Obviously there is an upfront investment to get the second hairpiece, but in the end it doesn't cost any more.

I agree that your system doesn't really look too dense. It does look rather bouffant though. I think ditching the frontal strip of biohair and moving the system hairline down may fix that, at least in part. You could also try ordering a flatter style of ventilation - say brush-forward ventilation - if you want a less voluminous look.

I hope some of those ideas may be helpful.

Noah

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
In order to get a more realistic color and density variation, you need to order a custom system, if you don't already. With a custom system, you can design the density per zone... and mix colors and do highlights as you wish.

And.. you can probably do it for between $400/$500.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with Noah about your natural hair at the front, but understand you want to hold onto it as it is yours, but you will have much better results shaving it. as for your piece, seems there is a pretty thin spot.. Is this localised, or just the way hair parted ?
poly all around oes not realy call for a brushback hairstyle or exposed hairline, so if you keep poly at the front, keep that in mind. a good compromised is poly side and back, with a lace front...

GordonShumway

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly. Ways to make your system more realistic?

How is that system too dense first of all I can see your entire scalp through it in photo 1. The only issue I see with your system is an unnatural hairline/front. This is common with darker haired systems and light skinned people like yourself as there is no natural transition from skin to hair but instead just dark hair right at the root. Properly bleached knots in lace hairlines helps this problem most of the time but with poly your only bet is to dye the very front with peroxide dye. "Nordic Blonde" is my #1 suggestion based on what i've seen and to leave it in for about 30 minutes. After that the very front of the hairline will appear a bit lighter and will make it a much more natural looking transition from skin to hair. Don't worry though it won't end up blonde at all, but just lighter in color. You can even do a test on a cut off area of your next system.
Interesting info, thanks!

I agree with Noah about your natural hair at the front, but understand you want to hold onto it as it is yours, but you will have much better results shaving it. as for your piece, seems there is a pretty thin spot.. Is this localised, or just the way hair parted ?
poly all around oes not realy call for a brushback hairstyle or exposed hairline, so if you keep poly at the front, keep that in mind. a good compromised is poly side and back, with a lace front...
Thanks! actually the biggest problem I have with front lace it that currently I'm using only Walker tape, without any glue. Maybe I'm not familiar enough with other options but using Walker glue was a nightmare for me from 2 aspects:
The spider cobwebs while applying - always got a huge mess with that and hairs being glued as well....
And also cleaning the system became much more high maintenance and messy compered to just removing the tape strips.
Last - the attachment of lace without poly was lasts only like 3-4 days which is obviously made me want to shave my head and get done with it...

If there is another way / other product that can change this problems' so I can take a chance on front lace system?

Thanks again!

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i get what you mean with the walker glue ( stringy, etc...) you may want to try ghostbond (or white glues)
if you don't want to deal with glues, the most invisible tape is walkers thins, also known as 3mm tape, hard to find in my area of the world, but can be found at various online suppliers...

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting info, thanks!

Thanks! actually the biggest problem I have with front lace it that currently I'm using only Walker tape, without any glue. Maybe I'm not familiar enough with other options but using Walker glue was a nightmare for me from 2 aspects:
The spider cobwebs while applying - always got a huge mess with that and hairs being glued as well....
And also cleaning the system became much more high maintenance and messy compered to just removing the tape strips.
Last - the attachment of lace without poly was lasts only like 3-4 days which is obviously made me want to shave my head and get done with it...

If there is another way / other product that can change this problems' so I can take a chance on front lace system?

Thanks again!

I don't have a lot of experience with various brands of adhesive, but what little I do have, it seems that the bonds that go on white, such as Ghost Bond is easier to work with. I use one of the really stringy, spiderweb types of glue. When I apply it, I take an acid brush (little brush with aluminum handle and black bristles), but it at a 45 degree angle to give me a fine tip. This is much easier than that fingernail polish type brush. Its only good for one use, but its easier.

GordonShumway

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Gordon

My impression from looking at your photographs is that it is the fact that you are placing your system behind your (as you say, very thin) natural hairline which is making it look too dense. The contrast is too great. Also, you are not really getting anything from using the natural hairline. It is too thin to camouflage the front of the hairpiece, and my sense is that it is forcing you to move the hairline of the hairpiece too far up your forehead, which is adding to the artificiality of the look. My recommendation is that you forget that patch of biohair and focus on getting your hair system to the point where you are comfortable using its hairline. I will PM you some thoughts on better suppliers.

If you are in a hot humid country and you have oily skin, it is important that you are getting the maximum breathability. Maybe a full poly perimeter is the wrong choice, and you would be better with an all lace piece. You should be able to get a very solid week-long hold on an all-lace piece from any decent tape.

You mentioned that re-doing your attachment every week is exhausting. I re-do mine every week and I don't find it too bad. I wonder if your process needs to be re-engineered. Can you explain what your procedure is and what products you are using?

One thing that makes the process less stressful is having 2 identical systems, and swapping them when you do your maintenance. The advantage is that you don't have to do everything at once - you can separate the detachment and re-attachment from the clean-up. I can detach, have a shower and re-attach in about 20 - 25 minutes and then I am good to go. I can come back to clean up and prep the used system any time when I have a spare half-hour during the week. It also means you don't have to hang around your place bald while you are waiting for your hair to dry. Obviously there is an upfront investment to get the second hairpiece, but in the end it doesn't cost any more.

I agree that your system doesn't really look too dense. It does look rather bouffant though. I think ditching the frontal strip of biohair and moving the system hairline down may fix that, at least in part. You could also try ordering a flatter style of ventilation - say brush-forward ventilation - if you want a less voluminous look.

I hope some of those ideas may be helpful.

Noah
Hi Noah,

Actually I think the main issues are not in the front but rather:
1. The density difference between the system and my real hair on the sides and back (see photo attached).
2. Color differences (I hope that a better supliure than I had before can handle this challenge...)
3. Short haircut that makes the system hair to be pointy and undisciplined... (same as above)

But as for the front issue - if you have advice regarding adhesives / other products that can solve these problems...:
- Front lace won't be unglued within 3 days and will hold on for a week.
- Maintenance and attachment would be easier than it is with spider net Walker glue.
I'd be grateful!

Thanks!

1609338711343.png

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I would like to share my thoughts on this hairpiece.
1) It seems that you have some natural hair left on your front head. I think it must perfectly fit with the hair system. As from your pictures your system is way to far from your headline. I can imagine how difficult it is to install a hair system for yourself if you have a "natural" hairline left
2) The color: I think the hair system is always a little "shiny" and it´s hard to match the right color. In the pictures it seems your system is more red than the rest of the hair.
3) I wouldn´t recommend this kind of hairstyle. It doens´t look natural. I don´t know how to explain that, its only my oppinion. I prefer a "freestyle" Hairstyle

For example in the attachment this is my system in direct sunlight. It is much easier that way than this "grommed" hairstyle (google translator).
Good night have fun and may the next year be better than this
Greetings from germany

Attachments

• Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 148

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Noah,

Actually I think the main issues are not in the front but rather:
1. The density difference between the system and my real hair on the sides and back (see photo attached).
2. Color differences (I hope that a better supliure than I had before can handle this challenge...)
3. Short haircut that makes the system hair to be pointy and undisciplined... (same as above)

But as for the front issue - if you have advice regarding adhesives / other products that can solve these problems...:
- Front lace won't be unglued within 3 days and will hold on for a week.
- Maintenance and attachment would be easier than it is with spider net Walker glue.
I'd be grateful!

Thanks!

View attachment 153927

Hi Gordon

I think if your attachment is coming undone after 3 days it is more likely to be because of the way you are applying your system, than because of the adhesive you are using. To try to diagnose the problem, can you describe what your attachment routine is? In particular:

- do you prep your scalp before applying the adhesive? If so, how?
- do you use a scalp protector?
- how do you apply the glue? Do you use more than one coating of glue?
- where do you apply your system? Is it a cool dry place?
- do you let the glue dry before applying the system?
- do you press the system down into the glue - e.g. with a comb?
- do you stretch your system as you apply it? Is it under tension?
- do you keep the adhesive dry for a curing period after application? How long?
- when your attachment comes loose, does the glue turn white? Any other physical changes?
- do you sweat heavily, and does that coincide with the loss of your attachment?

I am also sending you a PM.

Noah

GordonShumway

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Gordon

I think if your attachment is coming undone after 3 days it is more likely to be because of the way you are applying your system, than because of the adhesive you are using. To try to diagnose the problem, can you describe what your attachment routine is? In particular:

- do you prep your scalp before applying the adhesive? If so, how?
- do you use a scalp protector?
- how do you apply the glue? Do you use more than one coating of glue?
- where do you apply your system? Is it a cool dry place?
- do you let the glue dry before applying the system?
- do you press the system down into the glue - e.g. with a comb?
- do you stretch your system as you apply it? Is it under tension?
- do you keep the adhesive dry for a curing period after application? How long?
- when your attachment comes loose, does the glue turn white? Any other physical changes?
- do you sweat heavily, and does that coincide with the loss of your attachment?

I am also sending you a PM.

Noah
- do you prep your scalp before applying the adhesive? If so, how? ammmm how should I?
- do you use a scalp protector? OK, that's answer my question above :D what's recommended?
- how do you apply the glue? Do you use more than one coating of glue? no glue, only Walker ultra hold tape. after reading some threads here I'm going to order Ghost glue, hoping applying (and removing) it would be easier. Can someone please let "Prohairlabs" know that their site, regarding products uses and features is very (very!) bad, confusing and frustrating? :confused: Couldn't understand which one is the right for me. Don't they know how to make a competitor research?
- where do you apply your system? Is it a cool dry place? Finlay one thing I do right! LOL
- do you let the glue dry before applying the system? irrelevant with tape \:
- do you press the system down into the glue - e.g. with a comb? yes, with my fingers
- do you stretch your system as you apply it? Is it under tension? some tension, is that wrong?
- do you sweat heavily, and does that coincide with the loss of your attachment? oily scalp - that's my problem. mostly the only sun I meet is the sun of Fluorescent bulb :D:p

GordonShumway

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I would like to share my thoughts on this hairpiece.
1) It seems that you have some natural hair left on your front head. I think it must perfectly fit with the hair system. As from your pictures your system is way to far from your headline. I can imagine how difficult it is to install a hair system for yourself if you have a "natural" hairline left
2) The color: I think the hair system is always a little "shiny" and it´s hard to match the right color. In the pictures it seems your system is more red than the rest of the hair.
3) I wouldn´t recommend this kind of hairstyle. It doens´t look natural. I don´t know how to explain that, its only my oppinion. I prefer a "freestyle" Hairstyle

For example in the attachment this is my system in direct sunlight. It is much easier that way than this "grommed" hairstyle (google translator).
Good night have fun and may the next year be better than this
Greetings from germany
WOW! o_O:D