Hair Styling Tips For Thinning Hair

yadayada029

Established Member
Reaction score
This guys youtube channel has some decent tips for hair styling with thinning hair. Most of his suggestions are things I discovered on my own through trial and error

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlmMaH14N0dJeU0bW2KPXg

I can turn this garbage
dK7h4zB.png

in to this

mWwzFL1.jpg

yadayada029

Established Member
Reaction score
The same as in the youtube video. Keep the sides and back shortened, close to the skin, tapered/blended into the top, keep the top longer. This gives the illusion of density. You'll have to judge for yourself how long that should be, based on what you have up top.

Use a blow drier with variable temperature setting, and lean towards cool or cold rather than heat. Some heat used sparingly, very short bursts, can create lift, but it can also fry the hair if used for too long, too close, or concentrated in one area.

Use a waving motion with the drier, generally in the direction of hair growth, while using a comb to fluff it up (different types of combs and combing styles create different effects). The extra fluffing, and swelling of the hair cuticle, in addition to layering the hair in the direction of growth, will give the appearance of fullness. I don't have a recommendation for shampoos, but some do provide a bit of lift (biolage full density), but can also dry your hair out -- do your own research and try different ones to find the best fit.

Use matte finish products, and use only small amounts, enough to get the desired lift and look. Matte finish pastes or sea salt spray can be good choices. Use hair fibers if you must but only enough to provide coverage where necessary, and comb or pat in. Most men, with shorter hair styles, do have scalp showing through a bit. The goal is to blend in with the crowd, not stand out with some ridiculous, unnatural, amount of coverage.

Styling thinning hair is a "best effort" affair. Don't slick your hair down with water and a comb, or put tons of product in to your hair, it neither creates good coverage nor does it look good. You can only do so much with what you have, but do maximize every bit of what there is.