Hair Regrowth with Cannabidiol (CBD) - rich Hemp Extract – A Case Series (2021)

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 163519
View attachment 163520

On the other note, THC is actually an anti-androgen.

But from OP's study:

"Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is a CB1 receptor partial agonist, and it has been shown to dose-dependently inhibit hair shaft elongation, decrease proliferation of hair matrix keratinocytes and induce intraepithelial apoptosis and premature hair follicle regression (catagen)"

These effects were inhibited by CB1 antagonism. As we all know, CBD, when smoked in conjunction with THC, reduces the negative effects of THC. This seems to be the case as well when applied topically. CBD is a CB1 antagonist and prevents THC-induced CB1 agonism. But, as the study says, at higher concentrations, CBD can possibly induce hair-loss via another mechanism being TRPV4 activation-

"A more recent study of human hair follicle cultured cells (Szabóet al., 2017) revealed that use of lower doses of CBD resulted in hair shaft elongation, likely via CB1 antagonism. However, much higher doses resulted in premature entry into the catagen phase, probably via a different receptor, the vanilloid receptor-4 (TRPV4). Therefore, the dosing of the topical CBD needs to be evaluated in order to obtain positive hair regrowth."

Why does she have to be either? Obviously, there isn't enough science on this topic, even the authors of the study mention the lack thereof. Should we not stay with an open mindset, yet maintain skepticism? Not form an absolute opinion prematurely.

If this actually works, and with the increasingly availability of CBD around the world, it could be a possible cheap adjunct, no? It works through other pathways than minoxidil and finasteride. As previously stated, the authors note how there are dose-dependent effects and that higher could work to the contrary
One thing that I do notice is that line about hair shaft elongation. Does this mean that the hair is growing slower? Because this could be true while overall hair growth and appearance improves due to increases in anagen. I do see that it mentions catagen and telogen which seem to be poorly understood and studied. But in general, I think female hair grows more slowly but with all of the other improvements in anagen and sheen, manageability and lessened kink and breakage. Increased kinking of hair as we progress in life after puberty seems correlated with poor hair outcomes besides merely loss of hair count. I call this phenomenon Son of Sam hair, where counts are fine or even good but for most people, at least a cueball is neat and low maintenance:

1622921911985.png

DAVAT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok I have been using (rubbing and injesting) CBD oil myself. Different brand, higher concentration (15%). Roughly been 3 weeks.

Note: I am not promoting any particular brand. You go buy whichever brand you want.

I can tell you 100% that it's working. You can check my history, been a member for a LONG time.

Have tried minoxidil, other oils etc. None of them worked for me. Sorry not keen to experiment with Propecia.

This has stopped my hairloss and am regrowing hair in my temple area. I don't have alot issues with my crown (luckily!).

I will post pics later. I want the results to be very visible on camera.

The above is from a different topic, I have DM'd him to see what the progress is

I already put some in my hair.. I’ll leave it in. I study my hair everyday.. So if there is anything to it, I’ll notice fairly quickly. The study linked is halfway professional. Interesting anyone tried this..
So I learned Hemp oil in the hair & brown mustard powder on broccoli.
Time marches ON!

Great work! Keep us updated, good luck.

Note: There is also someone on reddit r/tressless that is going to work this protocol

Last edited:

GravityBoots

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a very interesting study.

I am a carer and I use CBD cream for bed sores. It has a remarkable impact.

I have also used it on my face and it pushes the pores outward even over one night. Strange result but I have often wondered what this may mean for hair regrowth.

You said "I have also used it on my face and it pushes the pores outward even over one night."

Maybe it could help with acne. I wonder if it is the CBD or the carrier-oil/cream that is being used that is having that effect. Which brand of CBD cream are you using?

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Jan, you leave some puzzling thumbs down verdicts. Maybe state what you find is lacking here because you might be right and we all would benefit from your input since you are on here often and have probably amassed a large quantity of knowledge and arguable opinions.

Best,
Janey
No need to sign with Janey ...

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
The control group wouldn’t have regrown hair in these numbers.

Neither would the cbd group if they counted correctly. I don't know what they did but there are a hundred ways to get the numbers you want. When there's no control group you can hide the funny business. This study is a joke published in some high times journal because no real medical journal would publish this garbage.

CastorTroy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bought some cbd tincture today
seems to half anti inflammatory effect on scalp

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
ABSTRACT
Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is the most common cause of hair loss. Several FDA approved medications are available but offer limited results. Studies have shown that the endocannabinoid system (ECS) is a key player in hair follicle cell growth. The ECS cannabinoid type one (CB1) receptors are well expressed in the hair follicle cells. Cannabidiol CBD is a negative allosteric modulator of the CB1 receptor and has been shown to result in hair shaft elongation. In addition, the hair follicle cycle phases are controlled by the ECS vanilloid receptor.
CBD has also been shown to increase Wnt signaling pathways that are involved in the differentiation of dermal progenitor cells into new hair follicles and maintaining the anagen phase of the hair cycle. The effects of CBD on hair growth are dose dependent and higher doses may result in premature entry into the catagen phase via a receptor known as vanilloid receptor.
Topical application of CBD reaches hair follicles where it is a CB1 negative modulator, and TRPV1, and TRPV4 agonist. A study was done of 35 subjects with Androgenetic Alopecia using a once daily topical hemp oil formulation, averaging about 3-4 mg per day of CBD and minimal amounts of other cannabinoids for six months. A hair count of the greatest area of alopecia was carried out before treatment and again after six months. The results revealed that men did slightly better than women, and the vertex area did better than the temporal areas. On average there was statistically significant 93.5% increase in hair after 6 months. All subjects had some regrowth. There were no reported adverse effects. Since the CBD works through novel mechanisms different from finasteride and minoxidil it can be used in conjunction with these current drugs and would be expected to have synergistic effects.

I hear pickle juice works too

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is a difference between hemp seed oil & CBD oil. Hemp seed is extracted from seeds only. CBD from stalks, leaves, flower. CBD therefore has more anti-inflammatories. They both have 21 amino acids. They have omega 3-6-9 oils. They increase scalp circulation. Vitamin A & E, magnesium. The study was with CBD.
Maybe, the harsh chemicals minoxidil & Duasteride/Finasteride aren’t nourishing the follicles at all.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I called BBotanicals and the guy said their classic hemp concentrated is CBD oil made from the flower, etc. the Complete has added raw CBD extracts.

GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT HEMP EXTRACTS

Because the extract used to make our oils is a full-plant extract, our hemp extracts contain over 80 different hemp proteins. In addition to the hemp proteins naturally present in our agricultural hemp extracts, there are also many other types of natural molecules such as terpenes, flavonoids, amino acids, omega fatty acids (including omega 3 & 6), vitamins (including B1, B2, B6, D), trace minerals (including iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, potassium), beta-carotene, and more. The most common terpenes in our hemp extracts are Myrcene, Beta-caryophyllene, Terpinolene, Linalool, alpha-Pinene, beta-Pinene, Nerolidol og Phytol, trans-alpha-Bergamotene, Limonene/beta-Phellandrene (Co-elution), and alpha-Humulene.
With 1,500 mg hemp per fluid ounce, this concentrated hemp extract oil blend is a special formulation of various hemp extracts. As opposed to our more basic Classic Hemp 6x, HempComplete 6x full plant extract. In addition, we’ve also included a steam-distilled (water) hemp extract which contains a significant amount of additional therapeutic constituents known as terpenes. Our steam-distilled hemp extract contains at least 26 different aromatic terpenes plus various aldehydes and ketones. With both forms of hemp proteins + the steam distilled hemp extract (additional terpenes, aldehydes, ketones), this blend is the most comprehensive hemp product we know of.

fugged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The study was ridiculous but if anyone wants to give it a systematic concerted effort please do

CastorTroy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also am noticing like an itching sensation as well
Not allergic more like a stimulating itch sensation
I’m using about a 4 percent CBD tincture oil

DAVAT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
from tressless

"So if I buy a 30ml bottle of full spectrum CBD oil that says 1,000mg on it, and the study used approx 3-4mg of CBD through the paste... and there are approx 20 drops in a ml...

It's 1000mg / 30ml / 20 drops = 1.6mg per drop

So to get 3-4mg per day rounding up that's 2 drops a day of the oil, meaning I'd need to mix it with something like jojoba oil to distribute that around the areas of the scalp where I have thinning. I'd probably do 3 drops a day to account for what gets left as reside on hands and hair shafts and won't make it to the scalp and follicle.

And 30 ml at 20 drops / ml = 600 drops so this is a 200 day supply."

click for full topic

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very good you read the whole study. There was another study referenced about cultured human hair. Seems too much CBD put some hairs into catagen phase. ,
Haven’t read that study yet. So that’s the caution: too strong a dose MAY do it on human scalp. But that is what we are here to find out.
I like your mathematics it saved me doing the studies calculations. So essentially they had a 2 ounce jar, filled with CBD, lanolin, & emu oil. I’ll do my experiments with that in mind. I probably have all the ingredients now.

DAVAT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Those aren't my calculations but yes it seems its imperative to get the dose correct.
The above seems to be the way to go for sure.

Ralph Wiggum

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I looked up John Satino and his LinkedIn says he works at Hair and Scalp Clinics in Clearwater, Florida. Also found the Facebook page for the business. It does seem to be a real place, at least (not that that says anything about the legitimacy of this study)

https://www.hairlosscure2020.com/ ran the following quote from Dr. Satino:

This is a US Government Registered Study, found on ClinicalTrials.Gov (NCT04842383). I ran the original Minoxidil Study in 1984 for Upjohn, the Finasteride study for Merck in 1989 and the Lexington study for Low Level Laser FDA clearance in 2000. This study follows the required protocol, with scalp tattoo, hair counts , and microscopic hair analysis. The results so far are better than anticipated. It is a 3 month, 6 month and 1 year study. Our previous study of post menopausal women in 2019 & 2020 showed much promise for the thirty plus participants.

Should his involvement in the Min and finasteride studies give us more confidence in him or am I naive?

Jesse14

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would try this right now if I could easily order everything needed at the right amounts. Even if I got half the results as the study I'd have a full head of hair.

Oppenheimer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Holy f.uking sh*t, insane results (IF LEGIT!) This with microneedling = cure. It also restores hair into its original color. I live in the Netherlands, so more yhsn enough CBD oil here. Lol.

You must use emu oil carrier.

fugged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Study seems off.. but let’s all hope your experimentation proves it’s true