Hair Regrowth with Cannabidiol (CBD) - rich Hemp Extract – A Case Series (2021)

feelsbad

Reaction score
ABSTRACT
Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is the most common cause of hair loss. Several FDA approved medications are available but offer limited results. Studies have shown that the endocannabinoid system (ECS) is a key player in hair follicle cell growth. The ECS cannabinoid type one (CB1) receptors are well expressed in the hair follicle cells. Cannabidiol CBD is a negative allosteric modulator of the CB1 receptor and has been shown to result in hair shaft elongation. In addition, the hair follicle cycle phases are controlled by the ECS vanilloid receptor.
CBD has also been shown to increase Wnt signaling pathways that are involved in the differentiation of dermal progenitor cells into new hair follicles and maintaining the anagen phase of the hair cycle. The effects of CBD on hair growth are dose dependent and higher doses may result in premature entry into the catagen phase via a receptor known as vanilloid receptor.
Topical application of CBD reaches hair follicles where it is a CB1 negative modulator, and TRPV1, and TRPV4 agonist. A study was done of 35 subjects with Androgenetic Alopecia using a once daily topical hemp oil formulation, averaging about 3-4 mg per day of CBD and minimal amounts of other cannabinoids for six months. A hair count of the greatest area of alopecia was carried out before treatment and again after six months. The results revealed that men did slightly better than women, and the vertex area did better than the temporal areas. On average there was statistically significant 93.5% increase in hair after 6 months. All subjects had some regrowth. There were no reported adverse effects. Since the CBD works through novel mechanisms different from finasteride and minoxidil it can be used in conjunction with these current drugs and would be expected to have synergistic effects.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
ABSTRACT
Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is the most common cause of hair loss. Several FDA approved medications are available but offer limited results. Studies have shown that the endocannabinoid system (ECS) is a key player in hair follicle cell growth. The ECS cannabinoid type one (CB1) receptors are well expressed in the hair follicle cells. Cannabidiol CBD is a negative allosteric modulator of the CB1 receptor and has been shown to result in hair shaft elongation. In addition, the hair follicle cycle phases are controlled by the ECS vanilloid receptor.
CBD has also been shown to increase Wnt signaling pathways that are involved in the differentiation of dermal progenitor cells into new hair follicles and maintaining the anagen phase of the hair cycle. The effects of CBD on hair growth are dose dependent and higher doses may result in premature entry into the catagen phase via a receptor known as vanilloid receptor.
Topical application of CBD reaches hair follicles where it is a CB1 negative modulator, and TRPV1, and TRPV4 agonist. A study was done of 35 subjects with Androgenetic Alopecia using a once daily topical hemp oil formulation, averaging about 3-4 mg per day of CBD and minimal amounts of other cannabinoids for six months. A hair count of the greatest area of alopecia was carried out before treatment and again after six months. The results revealed that men did slightly better than women, and the vertex area did better than the temporal areas. On average there was statistically significant 93.5% increase in hair after 6 months. All subjects had some regrowth. There were no reported adverse effects. Since the CBD works through novel mechanisms different from finasteride and minoxidil it can be used in conjunction with these current drugs and would be expected to have synergistic effects.

What about THC? And what about hybrids with high THC and high CBD?

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a very interesting study.

I am a carer and I use CBD cream for bed sores. It has a remarkable impact.

I have also used it on my face and it pushes the pores outward even over one night. Strange result but I have often wondered what this may mean for hair regrowth.

fugged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is weird, this got posted and deleted and reposted? I commented and it’s gone? Check the “Florida laser hair center” or whatever.. doesn’t even exist. Not that I don’t want to believe it’s just shady.

feelsbad

Reaction score
This is weird, this got posted and deleted and reposted? I commented and it’s gone? Check the “Florida laser hair center” or whatever.. doesn’t even exist. Not that I don’t want to believe it’s just shady.
I looked up John Satino and his LinkedIn says he works at Hair and Scalp Clinics in Clearwater, Florida. Also found the Facebook page for the business. It does seem to be a real place, at least (not that that says anything about the legitimacy of this study)

DAVAT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there a regulatory body that has to oversee these studies or is it just down to trusting the individuals?

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why not… I have some bluebird botanical hemp oil 6x concentrated. When Consumer Lab tested it. It had way over the limit for THC. Another experiment

jake_b

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to believe (as always) but these numbers sound too good.

That said, I have some already here at home so why not give it a try.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I already put some in my hair.. I’ll leave it in. I study my hair everyday.. So if there is anything to it, I’ll notice fairly quickly. The study linked is halfway professional. Interesting anyone tried this..
So I learned Hemp oil in the hair & brown mustard powder on broccoli.
Time marches ON!

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I already put some in my hair.. I’ll leave it in. I study my hair everyday.. So if there is anything to it, I’ll notice fairly quickly. The study linked is halfway professional. Interesting anyone tried this..
So I learned Hemp oil in the hair & brown mustard powder on broccoli.
Time marches ON!
So, does it only work topically, and not eaten or ingested via vapor or smoke?

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why not… I have some bluebird botanical hemp oil 6x concentrated. When Consumer Lab tested it. It had way over the limit for THC. Another experiment
Yeah, just wait till all those people who love CBD find out that the companies left tons of THC in the initial product roll-outs. No wonder they all felt better she says as she hits her concentrate vape.

That, plus the legalization of hemp to grow plus all of the poor souls addicted to heroin completely changed the viewpoint of most Americans about cannabis. It's a hell of an interesting plant, having the male and female aspect and growing it is just challenging enough to make it really fascinating. This plant comes directly from Goddess and it is not aggressive or harsh like all of the "male" drugs that rev you up and put you on edge but combined with them, it can be really nice. If'n it grows hair too, then oh my Goddess, it is the perfect plant.

Last edited:

fugged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Too bad that “study” is shady. We need someone with standardization and good records applying to one temple or a spot in the vertex (or the whole thing) for 6 months rigorously to report

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a very interesting study.

I am a carer and I use CBD cream for bed sores. It has a remarkable impact.

I have also used it on my face and it pushes the pores outward even over one night. Strange result but I have often wondered what this may mean for hair regrowth.
Jan, you leave some puzzling thumbs down verdicts. Maybe state what you find is lacking here because you might be right and we all would benefit from your input since you are on here often and have probably amassed a large quantity of knowledge and arguable opinions.

Best,
Janey

jantiloopez

My Regimen
Reaction score
What about THC? And what about hybrids with high THC and high CBD?
1622918505192.png

1622918559241.png

On the other note, THC is actually an anti-androgen.

But from OP's study:

"Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is a CB1 receptor partial agonist, and it has been shown to dose-dependently inhibit hair shaft elongation, decrease proliferation of hair matrix keratinocytes and induce intraepithelial apoptosis and premature hair follicle regression (catagen)"

These effects were inhibited by CB1 antagonism. As we all know, CBD, when smoked in conjunction with THC, reduces the negative effects of THC. This seems to be the case as well when applied topically. CBD is a CB1 antagonist and prevents THC-induced CB1 agonism. But, as the study says, at higher concentrations, CBD can possibly induce hair-loss via another mechanism being TRPV4 activation-

"A more recent study of human hair follicle cultured cells (Szabóet al., 2017) revealed that use of lower doses of CBD resulted in hair shaft elongation, likely via CB1 antagonism. However, much higher doses resulted in premature entry into the catagen phase, probably via a different receptor, the vanilloid receptor-4 (TRPV4). Therefore, the dosing of the topical CBD needs to be evaluated in order to obtain positive hair regrowth."

I can’t tell if you’re for or against this

Why does she have to be either? Obviously, there isn't enough science on this topic, even the authors of the study mention the lack thereof. Should we not stay with an open mindset, yet maintain skepticism? Not form an absolute opinion prematurely.

If this actually works, and with the increasingly availability of CBD around the world, it could be a possible cheap adjunct, no? It works through other pathways than minoxidil and finasteride. As previously stated, the authors note how there are dose-dependent effects and that higher could work to the contrary