Hair Piece On Norwood 3? Good Or Bad Idea?

guy9102

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello guys. I'm 26 on a Norwood scale 3. I still have enough hair to cover up my baldness, however i don't feel very comfortable with how it looks, sometimes i feel my hair looks ridiculous.

This has affected a lot my self steem and l wanna fix it. I can't afford a hair transplant so im considering getting a hair piece. I know i have to shave like all the frontal part of my head off and that is what freaks me out. I wanna hear from people that did this, how did it go? Was it a good decision? Do yo regret it?

shookwun

Reaction score
depends.

it can work, if you have healthy hair behind the hair system. if not, then a shave is required to blend properly.

partials only work if you have healthy hair in surrounding area. if not a full topper is needed

then there is blending, texture and color differences. partials are can be difficult, and you will be high maitenance in that regard,

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m 28 - got my first hair system two weeks ago.

If you’re willing to learn how it works properly and don’t mind the maintenance (not too bad in my opinion) then it is absolutely worth it. Nobody out of my family or friends have guessed, said anything or even looked at my hair strangely and all assume it’s my real hair - it just means I look and feel way better.

I started losing my hair at 18 - tried minoxidil, propecia - educated on the health effects and so opted out eventually

Used concealers for years which work amazingly and suddenly not well after you’ve lost a certain amount of hair

Considered a transplant but scarring risk turned me away at the last minute and the results rarely look good in my opinion

Hair system was the final option and it’s been by far the best - I have the hair I would have had if I’d never started going bald.

It’s not all straightforward but with the knowledgable guys here and YouTube videos, online info it’s easy to educate yourself as to how it’s done.

It’s absolutely terrifying to try for the first time but consider that you can opt out at any time and won’t have any scars or medical side effects and it could change your life massively if you like it.

Keep asking questions here and people will keep you right - don’t jump into anything and assume you’re doing the wrong thing unless someone here has advised you - I think it can be amazing if you plan and do it properly like I did but I can also see how it could be a nightmare if you don’t.

Also I have quite a bit of healthy hair on top of my head but I just went for a full system on the top as I have diffuse thinning and would have to cover those areas with a system anyway in a year or two.

Hope that info helps

George

Noah

Reaction score
I agree with George. It is not a solution that everyone can live with (see Shookwun above for details), but if you can live with the psychological aspects it's a great solution. I feel it has greatly enhanced my quality of life. It also makes sense to do it before people start to perceive you as a bald guy, because after that the psychological hurdle of making the transition becomes much harder. It is not just Norwood recession, it's also thinning and general look of the hair. I would keep your own hair and use concealer until it becomes a pain or it ceases to look decent, and then switch.

The other thing is that it's easy to try - if you like it: great; if not you can chuck it in the trash and all you have lost is the cost of the piece.