hair loss worse after major surgery?

smokinjoe2122

Reaction score
I have been dealing with hairloss the last 6 years. I have been using Rogaine 5% ever since I found I was losing hair. For the most part it has worked well to keep what I had, even grow a few new hairs. The last couple months have been stressful and 2 months ago I had a major surgery (Lap colon resection) and now my hair loss is really bad. Especially on the crown of my head. In a 4 month period my hair has taken a dramatic turn... IF some or a majority of the hairloss is stress from surgery, will it ever grow back? If I am already losing hair, will it be permanently gone? If anyone has gone through this please let me know. Also the thinning losing hair is not strictly to my crown. Also I'd like to add that I am 30.5 years old.

Thanks!

gutted

Reaction score
after i had surgery, i noticed an increase in hair loss approx 2 weeks after the operation.

the hair grew back though, after time.

i think it has something to do with the anasthesia.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
As a largely cosmetic flair of your body, after a great deal of stress is inflicted on your body (as would occur from surgery) the body will be more concerned with spending energy on repairing the damage than keeping up your mating flair. A dead corpse produces a lot less offspring than a bald one after all.

If there were no other additional factors lending to hair loss then you would expect the lost hair from a surgery to grow back within half a year or so. Since it sounds like you're experiencing additional hairloss the stress related hair loss might not get a chance to grow back. You'll just have to wait and see really

smokinjoe2122

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Didn't know who else to ask. Well that is really my concern. I have been losing it slowly, but for the most part, minoxidil has been doing its job. I just shaved my head down to a #1.5 and it is still very noticeable. I just jumped on Nizoral and have been very good about using minoxidil 2 times a day, where in the past I would forget here and there. Even if 50% of it grew back, I'd be a happy camper. Not to say woe is me, but in 5 months I lost a family member, g/f, job, and part of my colon... Hopefully it's stress!