• Yes

Votes: 76 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 111 59.4%

• Total voters

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
You do understand that Bayer still owns it?

That is why they can license it out to other with ressource they might not have them self.

So Bayer isn't seeing a loss of profitability just because they license it out.

To take one of the worlds biggest players within diabetes drugs is Novo Nordisk, they still work with other companies and universities, is that also a sign of lack of profitability?
Bayer is going to get royalties for the life cycle of the product if it's successful, that's not full ownership, they licensed out the global rights to another company.

Again, I'm not saying collaboration and licensing is a bad thing in anyway, but once you get past the pre-clinical stages of research these huge companies are largely going to keep their bigger potential products under their own banner unless they require the synergistic collaboration with another firm that specializes or has IP they require for development. That, or they don't see big opportunity and would rather give it to another company to monetize it rather then just shelve it.

Please tell me how this applies to Bayer giving IP rights to a complete startup? HopeMed has nothing in terms of IP or infrastructure that would lead you to believe a company like Bayer would be better off giving them the rights unless it has something to do with Chinese health/governmental agency approvals.

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bayer is going to get royalties for the life cycle of the product if it's successful, that's not full ownership, they licensed out the global rights to another company.

Again, I'm not saying collaboration and licensing is a bad thing in anyway, but once you get past the pre-clinical stages of research these huge companies are largely going to keep their bigger potential products under their own banner unless they require the synergistic collaboration with another firm that specializes or has IP they require for development. That, or they don't see big opportunity and would rather give it to another company to monetize it rather then just shelve it.

Please tell me how this applies to Bayer giving IP rights to a complete startup? HopeMed has nothing in terms of IP or infrastructure that would lead you to believe a company like Bayer would be better off giving them the rights unless it has something to do with Chinese health/governmental agency approvals.

Well HopeMed, is a startup, that is based on the Peking University staff that was involved in the research to start with. So Bayer let people who already work with this continue doing so. Now they are just detatched from the university and gone commercially with investors in their back to advance their research.

So its not something that happened out of thin air. Its people who have been involved in the project the entire time.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
No one said it was a new thing, but this isn't R&D like you are describing. This is a completed pre-clinical program with phase 1 data already available.

If this were a home run profitability wise then Bayer would be holding universal rights and developing it in-house. They clearly see massive potential risk or a lack of profitability to drag it past phase 1 and then license it out.
According to the article posted earlier, it wasn't even Bayer's idea to test it for hair loss. Xiao already had a collaboration with Bayer through the NHP center, and when they noticed hair growth in mice while testing for endometriosis they decided to test in primates at the NHP. Xiao and Bayer were both very excited by the results, but Bayer isn't focused on alopecia so Xiao formed HopeMed solely to develop it because of the macaque study. It says a lot that they formed the entire company just for this one drug and only for hair loss, any other indications are secondary. They then quickly completed multiple, large funding rounds based almost entirely on the success of this one treatment for alopecia. There are no red flags here

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
According to the article posted earlier, it wasn't even Bayer's idea to test it for hair loss. Xiao already had a collaboration with Bayer through the NHP center, and when they noticed hair growth in mice while testing for endometriosis they decided to test in primates at the NHP. Xiao and Bayer were both very excited by the results, but Bayer isn't focused on alopecia so Xiao formed HopeMed solely to develop it because of the macaque study. It says a lot that they formed the entire company just for this one drug and only for hair loss, any other indications are secondary. They then quickly completed multiple, large funding rounds based almost entirely on the success of this one treatment for alopecia. There are no red flags here
I wasn't aware of the history, that's for sure. I wasn't even implying there was a red flag with the drug, I even said when the series A was announced that this was a massive fund raise so there must be some very big hype behind the scenes. The issue for me was that I still see Bayer doubting the profit potential, not the efficacy.

I still stand by the fact that even if this drug becomes an essential cure for hairloss for those who havn't already been bald for decades, the future price point and intensive nature of the drug are going to greatly hinder it's profitability.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No no, I agree. There is money in a curative treatment, but this means you are asking these companies to sink hundreds of millions to research and development for a treatment that has to be perfect or it's financially useless. I'm simply saying that there is no money in incremental treatments (ie a bit better than finasteride or minoxidil), and that's why we have nothing new in 20+ years.

Yes, I agree with that.

After the commercial results of Rogaine and Propecia they won't be investing money into fighting the ongoing loss. A new treatment needs to offer 'cosmetically significant' amounts of regrowth at minimum.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with that.

After the commercial results of Rogaine and Propecia they won't be investing money into fighting the ongoing loss. A new treatment needs to offer 'cosmetically significant' amounts of regrowth at minimum.
Exactly, but curing complex conditions is not easy.

Keratinpro

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am curious to see if anyone will have the guts to say "I told you so" when we finally get a working cure.
I will, those who have been overly pessimistic shouldn't try these futuristic treatments. They should stay in a dark basement somewhere in Romania in a castle biting their nails saying "No, no, no this can't be possible. 10 more years minimum."

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel like this is a @czecha call out.
Definitely not a call out of anyone, but you just know there is a certain percentage of people on forums like this that use hairloss as a scapegoat for every single problem they have in life. Once hairloss is solved they'll complain about how it's unaffordable or just move on to the next issue when nothing changes for them, or sit there and complain about how their youth was wasted and how it's too late now even though they're like 31 years old.

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely not a call out of anyone, but you just know there is a certain percentage of people on forums like this that use hairloss as a scapegoat for every single problem they have in life. Once hairloss is solved they'll complain about how it's unaffordable or just move on to the next issue when nothing changes for them, or sit there and complain about how their youth was wasted and how it's too late now even though they're like 31 years old.
but they are right - when you balding early this waste your youth

Keratinpro

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
1621352582547.gif

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you waste your youth, that's solely on you not your hair. You're doing exactly what I'm describing right now lol, scapegoating.
I think what he means is that your life experiences are hindered greatly due to hair loss. I'm mostly referring to those who first notice it under 20 years old. Their self esteem takes a major hit during what is supposed to be the best years of your life and yeah people say to just own it and grow up but if you are 18 years old you are still very young and hair loss is a tough thing to deal with. At 18 you are not nearly as mature as someone who is 30. It also doesn't help that at 18 it is stigmatized. Can you make the most of it? Sure, but I am thankful that I didn't have to worry about it until my early 30s.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think what he means is that your life experiences are hindered greatly due to hair loss. I'm mostly referring to those who first notice it under 20 years old. Their self esteem takes a major hit during what is supposed to be the best years of your life and yeah people say to just own it and grow up but if you are 18 years old you are still very young and hair loss is a tough thing to deal with. At 18 you are not nearly as mature as someone who is 30. It also doesn't help that at 18 it is stigmatized. Can you make the most of it? Sure, but I am thankful that I didn't have to worry about it until my early 30s.
No one is saying that it shouldn't matter or that it's something easy to go through, but if you allow it to control and limit your experiences at literally any age then you're only doing yourself a major disservice. There are people with debilitating life illnesses who are able to make the most out of life, live normally within the confines of their conditions and more importantly, be happy. If you're telling me you can't do the same because you're hair is imperfect I'm going to call bullshit everytime.

As much as I feel stupid brining up youtubers like Logan/Jake Paul, those two were able to become multi-millionaires in the spot-light openly looking like this at age 21, so what's your excuse?

1621355824669.png

Last edited:

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
No one is saying that it shouldn't matter or that it's something easy to go through, but if you allow it to control and limit your experiences at literally any age then you're only doing yourself a major disservice. There are people with debilitating life illnesses who are able to make the most out of life, live normally within the confines of their conditions and more importantly, be happy. If you're telling me you can't do the same because you're hair is imperfect I'm going to call bullshit everytime.

As much as I feel stupid brining up youtubers like Logan/Jake Paul, those two were able to become multi-millionaires in the spot-light openly looking like this at age 21, so what's your excuse?

View attachment 162870
Honestly. Seeing that makes me realize how important hair is. You look at logan paul right now. He is in much better shape and, no homo, he looks a lot more attractive. His potential is a lot higher with his hair. Without his hair I doubt he would be famous.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly. Seeing that makes me realize how important hair is. You look at logan paul right now. He is in much better shape and, no homo, he looks a lot more attractive. His potential is a lot higher with his hair. Without his hair I doubt he would be famous.
He literally became famous with that hair, it's only in the last 1-2 years that he has his transplant. His entire rise to fame and peak fame before the Japan video was with aggressive hairloss. Maybe his ceiling is higher but he was a lot more famous with that hair then he was probably until right now with the Mayweather fight.

This is what the f*** I mean, people just invent whatever narratives confirms their bias. You literally just did it.

Last edited:

czecha

My Regimen
Reaction score
He literally became famous with that hair, it's only in the last 1-2 years that he has his transplant. His entire rise to fame and peak fame before the Japan video was with aggressive hairloss. Maybe his ceiling is higher but he was a lot more famous with that hair then he was probably until right now with the Mayweather fight.

This is what the f*** I mean, people just invent whatever narratives confirms their bias. You literally just did it.
Are you STILL not understanding that hair loss only takes a hit on your life between like Norwood 2.8-3.5 depending on your fringemaxxing skills, head shape and sh*t like that. As long as you „have hair“ your life isn’t affected to the point you would need to post in impact except for your own coping with your hairloss.
I can’t recount the stories here of ppl saying but my friend still slays and when I ask they are Norwood 2.5. that’s having hair, and paul has always had hair