• Yes

Votes: 76 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 111 59.4%

• Total voters

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are many ways to edit gene with CRISPR, if it is done on adults then yeah it most likely won't get pass down. But CRISPR can also be done on embryos and fertilized eggs, like the other comments said if the changes is in germ line sex cells (sperm, egg), those could be inheritable
Of course, but none of this is legal right now or being actively pursued. That doctor in China that edited the embryos of the two twins got 3-4 years in jail.

SaveTheMane

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course, but none of this is legal right now or being actively pursued. That doctor in China that edited the embryos of the two twins got 3-4 years in jail.
Right that's why I said CRISPR as a cure for male pattern baldness will never be available in our life time, bald guys have to stick with hair cloning in the next 50+ years.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right that's why I said CRISPR as a cure for male pattern baldness will never be available in our life time, bald guys have to stick with hair cloning in the next 50+ years.
I doubt it, I think we see it fully curable/reversible in the next decade or two.

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I doubt it, I think we see it fully curable/reversible in the next decade or two.
Nah , cloning is the only thing in the horizon.

editing genes as normal treatment is probbly one of the most futurestic thing human kind can achive.

even neuralink would be out before gene editing as treatment

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nah , cloning is the only thing in the horizon.

editing genes as normal treatment is probbly one of the most futurestic thing human kind can achive.

even neuralink would be out before gene editing as treatment
Why? We have gene editing for multiple conditions already being used and approved for long term use on humans. We do not have cloning of literally any sort in almost any clinical setting.

H

Reaction score
Why? We have gene editing for multiple conditions already being used and approved for long term use on humans. We do not have cloning of literally any sort in almost any clinical setting.
Maybe gene editing would stop the hairloss but I dont think regrowing back to baseline would be a one sequence knockout.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe gene editing would stop the hairloss but I dont think regrowing back to baseline would be a one sequence knockout.
If you could knockout the AR and the PRLR I think you'd get most of your hair back. With the kits only being around $1,000 each it's tempting, but we're not there yet. Especially with the AR it could go horribly wrong.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just going off of what the HMI(Hope/Bayer) ASO is going to knock down to get growth, it seems like it's very doable. ASOs basically do exactly what gene editing would be attempting to do (gene expression knockdown via RNA) on a smaller scale (ie not permanent).

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just going off of what the HMI(Hope/Bayer) ASO is going to knock down to get growth, it seems like it's very doable. ASOs basically do exactly what gene editing would be attempting to do (gene expression knockdown via RNA) on a smaller scale (ie not permanent).
What's ASO?

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In 5 years, i think the main goal will not be to keep or regrow our hair, but to eat and survive.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
What's ASO?
Antisense oligonucleotides. They're targeted therapies that look to alter RNA transcription. Similar to what gene therapy is trying to accomplish except it's safer because they are targeting the RNA layer under the DNA that is temporary.

For hairloss, you could use an ASO to target the RNA at the follicle level and knockdown a gene expression without making permanent changes that could have unknown off target effects. You won't see much development in this area though, they are ridiculously expensive to develop and manufacture. Hypothetically probably one of the easiest pathways to a "cure" that will never materialize because of cost restraints. As I mentioned in another thread, almost every approved ASO treatment costs 6 figures + annually and is used for terminal or progressive genetic conditions where people (insurance) will actually pay that type of money.

If I'm not mistaken, the Bayer drug is an monoclonal antibody. It's not going to be cheap either.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the Bayer drug is an monoclonal antibody. It's not going to be cheap either.

This is a good point. All antibodies on the market now are covered by insurance. Bayer's should cost lost because it won't be covered, but it's still going to be very expensive. That should tell you something about how well it works. Let's go even further than that. The fact that they even decided to test an mAb on macaques for hair loss, knowing how expensive mAbs are, means they already expected it to do very well. Yet it apparently even surpassed their expectations. They wrote it the patent that it was "surprisingly effective". Nobody is developing such an expensive treatment if just barely beats out minoxidil and finasteride. They fully believe that this antibody blows minoxidil out of the water. Minoxidil can be had for $5 a month, whereas this antibody will likely cost thousands per month. Bad news for brokecels, but it shows how effective this is expected to be, so in a way it's great news.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a good point. All antibodies on the market now are covered by insurance. Bayer's should cost lost because it won't be covered, but it's still going to be very expensive. That should tell you something about how well it works. Let's go even further than that. The fact that they even decided to test an mAb on macaques for hair loss, knowing how expensive mAbs are, means they already expected it to do very well. Yet it apparently even surpassed their expectations. They wrote it the patent that it was "surprisingly effective". Nobody is developing such an expensive treatment if just barely beats out minoxidil and finasteride. They fully believe that this antibody blows minoxidil out of the water. Minoxidil can be had for $5 a month, whereas this antibody will likely cost thousands per month. Bad news for brokecels, but it shows how effective this is expected to be, so in a way it's great news.
I 100% agree, and that's why this, Kintor and Stemson are basically the only companies I'm even remotely interested with in the current pipeline, because in this case they're proceeding knowing full well that the treatment is going to have to be effective enough to justify the price they will need to charge to make a profit.

The link below examines ALL use cases of mAb between 1997 and 2016. The average annual cost of doses?

$96,731

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Kintor's treatment won't be expensive, but should be better than the AR treatments we have today. Olix and Moogene will be even better, though expensive, but they are a long way off. I'm with you, I'm really only interested in hair multiplication, Bayer/HMI's antibody, and kintor's AR degrader. Follicle banking is also something I will probably get around to doing soon with Hairclone. One day in the future Olix or Moogene may be nice to prevent future hair loss, but I expect to have a full head of hair before those treatments make it to market.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Kintor's treatment won't be expensive, but should be better than the AR treatments we have today. Olix and Moogene will be even better, though expensive, but they are a long way off. I'm with you, I'm really only interested in hair multiplication, Bayer/HMI's antibody, and kintor's AR degrader. Follicle banking is also something I will probably get around to doing soon with Hairclone.
Yeah I'm interested in pyrilutimide after the phase 2 is completed in the short-term. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to source after the study is published, which should basically be any week now.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I'm interested in pyrilutimide after the phase 2 is completed in the short-term. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to source after the study is published.
If it's cheap enough it would make a good substitute for RU until proxalutamide is available.