Will hair loss be cured within ten years

• Yes

Votes: 76 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 111 59.4%

• Total voters

H

Reaction score
I suppose if you just look on the surface, but if you look into the mechanisms of A.G.A., and then look at the development of different treatments the pipeline is far more promising than ever. But you're right, you can't change someone's thinking when all they want to do is judge based on past failures without taking into account technological advancements and the merits of the new treatments.
Yeah uh how many times have we heard that? "No it's coming this time we've advanced so much since the last time we said we had advanced so much and these new promising treatment will be the ones but it turned out to be a disappointment" turned out to be the same song and dance. So far the pessimists have an impeccable record. So prove that its otherwise if you want to be taken seriously.

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe there will be better treatments, not sure if I believe there will be an actual cure. I have faith that I will die with a full head of hair.

Redgate

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah uh how many times have we heard that? "No it's coming this time we've advanced so much since the last time we said we had advanced so much and these new promising treatment will be the ones but it turned out to be a disappointment" turned out to be the same song and dance. So far the pessimists have an impeccable record. So prove that its otherwise if you want to be taken seriously.
Even if you ignore Tsuji & other hair cloning companies, Follica, CB and SM will start/have started/finished phase 3 trials. These target known hair loss vectors: wounding, topical anti-androgen, wnt (disinhibitor, probably sucks)
Pyrilutamide (KX-826) is phase 1/2, that's a better-than-RU topical AA, KX>RU>=CB>=dutasteride>finasteride
HMI-115 is going phase 2, this is a PRLR antagonist which is a very new angle compared to AR/WNT and only recently investigated in the forum but is backed by Bayer and has had unprecedented results.

These aren't some random stem cell studies, labyrinthine peptides, weird zinc compositions made by cash-grabbing doctors, sci-fi organ cloning, dead skin regeneration companies, dead jak inhibitors or dead autologous infusion treatments that the forum has been hyped over for years. They are working, un-disappointing pharmacological treatments that are coming. We know how they work.

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Even if you ignore Tsuji & other hair cloning companies, Follica, CB and SM will start/have started/finished phase 3 trials. These target known hair loss vectors: wounding, topical anti-androgen, wnt (disinhibitor, probably sucks)
Pyrilutamide (KX-826) is phase 1/2, that's a better-than-RU topical AA, KX>RU>=CB>=dutasteride>finasteride
HMI-115 is going phase 2, this is a PRLR antagonist which is a very new angle compared to AR/WNT and only recently investigated in the forum but is backed by Bayer and has had unprecedented results.

It always boils down to how you define a cure. While I agree there are very promising treatments in the current hair loss pipeline (KX, KY and BAY to name a few), one could argue these aren't cure. Personally, I don't really give a sh*t about how people define these, as long as they are promising and allow us to leapfrog in Androgenetic Alopecia treatment.

Now, I don't want to sound like Ralf Paus's n°1 fanboy but I believe this guy is more knowledgeable than most of us here. This is his answer to the question about when the cure will be available:
"Whether and when a “cure for baldness” will become available very much depends on how much serious research effort (=funding) is being invested into it; since that has been dismally insufficient, we are in for a long wait – until this situation changes (thereafter, 1-2 decades sound like a reasonable guesstimate)"

Among other interesting quotes:
"I place my main hopes in the “cure for baldness” challenge on good old, well-targeted pharmacology, rather than on cell-based therapy, and certainly not on “hair cloning”. However, well-characterized exosomes (generated from a patient’s own hair cells or blood) could attain therapeutic importance as well – if their effect on human hair growth in general and balding specifically is studied more systematically and in-depth in the right models, at long last."

When talking about Follicum, he also mentioned something that was interesting:
"... (I) am impressed by their serious, science-driven approach (...). If more companies active in the hair arena today rigorously followed this approach, rather than a primarily marketing-driven one, we would already have much better hair products to choose from."

To sum up:
- One of the pioneering and well-informed doctors in the hair loss research industry thinks the cure is still far away (1-2 decades);
- This is mainly due by the fact that there isn't enough money flowing in the research today;
- Due to the lack of funding, companies are forced to adopt a marketing-driven approach to scientific studies, aiming for short-term "wow results" on cheap models (i.e. mice).

So in the end, it all depends on the money flowing in, it seems. Obvious, isn't it? ;)

Last edited:

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
It always boils down to how you define a cure. While I agree there are very promising treatments in the current hair loss pipeline (KX, KY and BAY to name a few), one could argue these aren't cure. Personally, I don't really give a sh*t about how people define these, as long as they are promising and allow us to leapfrog in Androgenetic Alopecia treatment.

Now, I don't want to sound like Ralf Paus's n°1 fanboy but I believe this guy is more knowledgeable than most of us here. This is his answer to the question about when the cure will be available:
"Whether and when a “cure for baldness” will become available very much depends on how much serious research effort (=funding) is being invested into it; since that has been dismally insufficient, we are in for a long wait – until this situation changes (thereafter, 1-2 decades sound like a reasonable guesstimate)"

Among other interesting quotes:
"I place my main hopes in the “cure for baldness” challenge on good old, well-targeted pharmacology, rather than on cell-based therapy, and certainly not on “hair cloning”. However, well-characterized exosomes (generated from a patient’s own hair cells or blood) could attain therapeutic importance as well – if their effect on human hair growth in general and balding specifically is studied more systematically and in-depth in the right models, at long last."

When talking about Follicum, he also mentioned something that was interesting:
"... am am impressed by their serious, science-driven approach (...). If more companies active in the hair arena today rigorously followed this approach, rather than a primarily marketing-driven one, we would already have much better hair products to choose from."

To sum up:
- One of the pioneering and well-informed doctors in the hair loss research industry thinks the cure is still far away (1-2 decades);
- This is mainly due by the fact that there isn't enough money flowing in the research today;
- Due to the lack of funding, companies are forced to adopt a marketing-driven approach to scientific studies, aiming for short-term "wow results" on cheap models (i.e. mice).

So in the end, it all depends on the money flowing in, it seems. Obvious, isn't it? ;)
Agreed! We will obviously get better treatment over the few years, but accessable, (permanent,) one-tme cure/treatment is still far away, optimistic scenario; 2050.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
We’re the most superficial generation by looks nowadays. I think this translates to plenty of hair growth demands. Gen z won’t want to go bald lol
If you actually read supporting market literature/research in Asia specifically, this is exactly what almost every company is going off of when they talk about potential market size for their products. With more millennials & Gen Z going bald younger in Asian countries, their is a massive new market of people who will empty their bank accounts to retain their looks. Former generations were told to shut up and accept it.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you actually read supporting market literature/research in Asia specifically, this is exactly what almost every company is going off of when they talk about potential market size for their products. With more millennials & Gen Z going bald younger in Asian countries, their is a massive new market of people who will empty their bank accounts to retain their looks. Former generations were told to shut up and accept it.
I’m banking on the looks obsessed culture of Asians to also contribute. Plastic surgery can do miracles, hair surgery is still behind the times compared to it. That won’t be for long

jan_miezda

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The biotechnology industry in India comprises >2700 biotech start-ups and is estimated to reach 10,000 by 2024. there is a huge boom happening there. how many will be for gene therapy, or hair research

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing that should be prioritized when speaking about a hairloss cure is the general awareness of hairloss today. If we go back 10/20 years the best awareness that existed for hairloss was this forum and a couple podcasts here and there. Also back then, men, more or less, were ridiculed for trying treatments and were thought to be too vain/feministic for caring about their hair so much.

If you look today, theres an ad about hairloss at every site you go to. Sure its user specific ads, us being the users, but you have so many companies that main goal is sell you the products we have today to keep their hair. Hair transplant clinics today have almost year wait times. The demand is clearly there and even more clear is the money that can be made from getting half the worlds population to give up their money to get hair on their head and feel younger.

If this cure takes any longer than 10 years, I would be shocked. Cure already exists we just dont have access to it quite yet.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing that should be prioritized when speaking about a hairloss cure is the general awareness of hairloss today. If we go back 10/20 years the best awareness that existed for hairloss was this forum and a couple podcasts here and there. Also back then, men, more or less, were ridiculed for trying treatments and were thought to be too vain/feministic for caring about their hair so much.

If you look today, theres an ad about hairloss at every site you go to. Sure its user specific ads, us being the users, but you have so many companies that main goal is sell you the products we have today to keep their hair. Hair transplant clinics today have almost year wait times. The demand is clearly there and even more clear is the money that can be made from getting half the worlds population to give up their money to get hair on their head and feel younger.

If this cure takes any longer than 10 years, I would be shocked. Cure already exists we just dont have access to it quite yet.
Are you specifically referring to something when you say it exists and we don't have access? Or just that the compound/idea that will eventually lead to a cure probably exists but hasn't been tested for wide spread release?

But yes, the market has clearly grown or been exposed for the massive size it truly is thanks to social media and more transparency through the internet. That doesn't even include the amount of people older then their 20s and 30s who use nothing now but would jump on treatment if it actually worked. I too would be shocked if it was over 10 years before something curative is released, there is just too much money to be made and it's a largely untapped market place.

The sad thing is that if women had to deal with hairloss in the same fashion/degree that men did, there would have been a massive push to get it cured decades ago but because it's largely a male dominated issue and society largely ignores larger male issues like mental health and body issues it's gone underserved for a long time.

Last edited:

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you specifically referring to something when you say it exists and we don't have access? Or just that the compound/idea that will eventually lead to a cure probably exists but hasn't been tested for wide spread release?

But yes, the market has clearly grown or been exposed for the massive size it truly is thanks to social media and more transparency through the internet. That doesn't even include the amount of people older then their 20s and 30s who use nothing now but would jump on treatment if it actually worked. I too would be shocked if it was over 10 years before something curative is released, there is just too much money to be made and it's a largely untapped market place.

The sad thing is that if women had to deal with hairloss in the same fashion/degree that men did, there would have been a massive push to get it cured decades ago but because it's largely a male dominated issue and society largely ignores larger male issues like mental health and body issues it's gone underserved for a long time.
I was specifically referencing Tsuji. I think his work is more than just hair on mice. Indeed, if it simply is hair on mice, then the idea to a cure is out there its just untapped as of now.

I do agree if hairloss was a thing women endured more publicly then efforts would be greater in the past.

To be honest, the most important thing for people to do nowadays is treat their hairloss (that is if they want to keep hair) to a degree such that they maintain as much as possible without digging themselves into depression and lose full hope. The only truth is that time will tell, but consistently being negative towards the subject of a cure is not helping anyone.

Imagine the person coming up with the cure having the same pessimistic mindset that these users do... we’d surely be fucked.

This is not a matter of who’s wrong and who’s right because to be frank if a cure came out tomorrow nobody is going to sit here and sh*t on people who said over itll take 10+ years, we’d all be racing to get our f*****g hair. Similarly, if it does take over 10 years then we’ll all be in the same sh*t position wanting the cure still. Either way, I’ll rather wake up optimistic than pessimistic, everyone else can choose their choice.

time will tell.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
The real cure should be the one whereby you avoid starting to lose your hair. PREVENTION BETTER THAN CURE.
And yes, "if women had to deal with hairloss in the same fashion/degree that men did, there would have been a massive push to get it cured decades ago"
We've had that for a long time already, but people don't want to mess with their hormones until it's too late.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
We've had that for a long time already, but people don't want to mess with their hormones until it's too late.
finasteride/dutasteride are stop gaps for many of the people with the worst hairloss, as in late teens or early 20s. The rest (like RU/CB) are not approved therapies and acting like they are there if people want them isn't true.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cryo freeze your head and get that new gene therapy post mort and hope that maybe 100 or so years from now they can defrost you old head with new hair.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride/dutasteride are stop gaps for many of the people with the worst hairloss, as in late teens or early 20s. The rest (like RU/CB) are not approved therapies and acting like they are there if people want them isn't true.
"90% of finasteride-treated men either maintained (no further visible hair loss from baseline), or sustained visible improvement in, scalp coverage over 5 years, while 75% of placebo-treated men sustained visible deterioration in scalp coverage"

If that's not good enough for you, dutasteride is almost perfect

"The proportions of patients with improvement (score ≥ 5) and prevention of disease progression (score ≥ 4) were 91.5% and 99.1%, respectively."

Over 99% of men with A.G.A. maintained for 10 years on dutasteride. That's as good as you're ever going to get.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"90% of finasteride-treated men either maintained (no further visible hair loss from baseline), or sustained visible improvement in, scalp coverage over 5 years, while 75% of placebo-treated men sustained visible deterioration in scalp coverage"

If that's not good enough for you, dutasteride is almost perfect

"The proportions of patients with improvement (score ≥ 5) and prevention of disease progression (score ≥ 4) were 91.5% and 99.1%, respectively."

Over 99% of men with A.G.A. maintained for 10 years on dutasteride. That's as good as you're ever going to get.
Inb4 “the studies are bs”