hair loss hurts THE MOST in your thirties

Reaction score
Most guys tend to think that the magnitude of pain caused by hair loss is closely related to how old the sufferer is.

They are right.

An 80 year old man should not care about being bald.

What I disagree with is the way the pain of 30-something men is discounted.

The thirties are the years you can still look good if you look after yourself, protect your skin from damage and yes, keep your hair.

The thirties are also the years when perception of age starts to matter. You'll always look young in your early-twenties, even if you go bald. In your thirties you have to start making an effort, and you have to hope you have favourable genetics, particularly with hair and skin.

In their thirties: Looking older or younger by only a few years can make or break a man, socially and especially romantically. A 35 year old man who looks 25 is still hot, in demand, young, virile, not so is the 35 year old man who looks older than his age, say by only a few years. Looking older than 35-36 is a big barrier to pass (the start of middle age). It changes how people see you. You are no longer considered "young".Notice how I said "look", a 29 yo. bald man who spends all day in the sun who looks 40 is in the same boat.

I remember reading a Daily Mail article recently about Ryan Phillippe. The actor.They showed him exercising with his shirt off and in various poses. All the girls said he was hot. Many of the girls talked about how they would still date him, despite him being "ten years older than themselves", because "he still looked young" (he is 38 - full head of hair, nice skin, fit). That's women expect when they talk about attractive older men, those men still have to look young and hot. Unless you are really rich, which is beyond the scope of 99% of men to achieve, you'll never get away with being a bald, unfit 30-something who still wants to date cute 20-something women.

I've noticed that all the Hollywood actors who look good in their thirties have this trio: good skin, good hair, lean body. Almost without exception. The good news is body composition and skin are largely in your control. Hair not so for many of us.

I've found a new level of respect for older posters here. I've realized how quickly time passes, and that I too will be 30-something before I know it. I feel for you lot, having your youth taken away from you prematurely, the dream of being THAT hot 30-something man with his **** together gone. Knowing now you'll never be the leading man, like Richard Gere, HOT, & successful, now you can only be successful, now women will only date you for your money or status, never who you are.

Face it, we live in a youth obsessed world. There are studies showing that age discrimination begins, in the workforce, as early as 40. If you think that at 23 losing your hair is bad, you've only just begun to see the repercussions of this disease. I know many of you are against ageism but, youth = value and bald men don't look young. Society says so and there's nothing we can do to change it.

My rant for today, sorry for the semi-lengthy post, I just had to get something off my chest. I get really peeved seeing these "full-package" older men I aspire to be when I might not have the chance to emulate them, thanks to something out of my control. I don't want to resort to gold diggers. I want to be handsome AND successful. Not just successful.

VeprSuper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's a great post and you are correct in your observations. In your 30's and 40's you have a great time to shine and stand out if you take care of yourself since so many don't. You do NOT want to be losing hair at this time. It negates alot of hard work.
I've lifted since 15 and look younger than 43. When I got divorced 5 years ago, I couldn't believe the amount of women that go nuts over a dude in shape and with hair. I want to hold on to that for my wife (who is awesome).

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is the worst part of balding in your 30's.
You have hopefully gotten somewhere in your life where you feel like you can finally rest and enjoy yourself. Do things for you, be done with school, have a job and actually LIVE. Meet some women and build up some numbers.
Then you realize your hair is falling out at an alarming rate and you are still stuck somehow.
I worked multiple jobs at times through my 20's to help pay my bills (I lived on my own since I was like 18-19) and pay for school. I went to school FULL TIME at night to get a worthless degree in Information Systems (because thats what poor people can get). I was luckily charming, handsome and smart in my 20s though so I still got to have SOME fun but I look back now and wish I just said **** it and didnt bother.

Aging doesnt bother me but in the past few years my hair has gotten so grey and so thin is embarrassing. My brother still looks like he is in his 20s, picks up girls in their early 20s. When I cut my hair really short or shaved even I still do cause Im in great shape comparatively but AS SOON as my hair grows out I look 10 years older (but i am hideous shaved) .
The greys dont even bother me cause I will "work" those. In fact I kind of like them but the loss of hair is killing me. Waiting to see if my FUE will work is driving me NUTS. Whats sad is my younger brother knows it bothers me, he tries to make it seem like its not bad and want me to still go out with him to meet girls but cant take it anymore.

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
An 80 year old man with a full head of hair looks better than a 40 year old bald guy. At any age, baldness makes you look much worse. Ask a bald 80 year old if he would rather have hair, even if he recently lost it and he will tell you "yes".

Also, the second worst looking thing after baldness is gray hair. It puzzles me that guys don't want to be bald because it makes them older, but they don't mind being gray which is almost as bad. Gray hair shows laziness and not caring about your appearance.

VeprSuper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm with Deadman1. I hate grey hair and spend the duckets to get it gone. I'm not ready for that yet and coloring thickens up my coif anyway:)

Cocohot, I get your point but trust me, there is NO time in a dude's life where he doesn't care.

heisenberg

Reaction score
Sure, being bald in your thirties does suck..

But what about the people who start balding late teens, were bald throughout their twenties and then most likely totally bald by their thirties..

They never got a chance to enjoy life whats so ever.. life pretty much ended before it began.

VeprSuper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sure, being bald in your thirties does suck..

But what about the people who start balding late teens, were bald throughout their twenties and then most likely totally bald by their thirties..

They never got a chance to enjoy life whats so ever.. life pretty much ended before it began.

You are right and I especially feel for those folks. It's not good then but it really isn't at any age if you care about it.

When I see a young bro losing hair it honestly pisses me off. It's low down.

barfacan

Experienced Member
Reaction score
lol, yeah balding in your thirties is way worse than balding at 18.

The things that fat ****s write these days without thinking.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Depends on how much loss and how early. Is being visibly bald like advanced nw3/4 at 18 the worst case scenario? I would say it is.But how often does that really happen? Chances are someone could begin at 18 and come out at thirty with only a receeded hairline while by that time I have will have already celebrated ten years since my lost identity/potential. That is whay I never go to high school reunions, duh.

The fact remains that the ones who loose the most the earliest are the ones who are hurting the most, regardless of their current age. I saw someone today that looked like I would look like with hair. I carded him for alcohol and he had the same birthday as me despite looking a good fifteen years younger than me. I wanted to shoot myself in the face.... still do.

Digidako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You guys must live in cardboard boxes or something..
Take a stroll down the street and check out how many bald guys are with good looking girls..
For what it's worth, i'm 19; some of you guys have lived lives twice as long as I have but I hope to God that when i'm your age I dont think like you do. You're not in High school anymore, you're not going to get spoon fed for the rest of your lives and if you want something you need to go get it. You guys think balding at 18 is worse than balding at 30 ? Wow, how misled are you. At 30, you should have be chipping away at a career and a life that you are proud of; not some miserable pity you cast over yourself that drags you down everyday of your lives... Imagine that guy who you pass with your bald head, who is begging at the street corner for $2 just so he can eat.. do you think he is judging you because of your balding head ? He probably wishes he was you everyday of his miserable life and as cliché as it sounds it's true. Life is an uphill battle, the more you climb the steeper the slope gets and the more **** starts to fall around you. Sure it'd be nice to have luscious lettuce for the ~80 short years you'll live on this earth, but so what if you don't. I believe a lot about reflection, because as human's I think it accounts for a lot of what we learn. In 11 years, I will be 30 going on 31, and I hope for all that is in me I can look back and say hey, sure it would have been nice to have hair but ya I got into Med school without it, I became a surgeon without it, I met a great girl without it and I'm living a great life- without it. I know not everyone has or had the same plans as I do when you were younger, but come on- to say "I wanted to shoot myself in the face.... still do" because your hair isn't how you want it makes me almost sick. Do you think cancer patients look in the mirror and see the ramifications of chemo, after they finished vomiting everything in their body and say "Hey ya it sucks I have cancer, but it'd be super nice to have my hair back ?", give your head a shake man. The past 19 years have taught me that the cards you are dealt mean nothing in life, it's all about how you play them. Ya you have a bad hand, so fold; take the easy way out and hope that maybe the next one will be better. Truth is if you keep folding, you're never going to win.
Sorry if I offended anyone but I think it really had to be said.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kxSrPD__BA
I think this video might open your eyes a bit.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i was in my senior year with heavy diffusing in a norwood 5/6 pattern

so it is possible ucman

Reaction score
hair loss is expected in your 30s.

So is being a fat ****, that doesn't mean I want to be the caricatured "fat, balding, middle aged slob", the object of snickers from condescending women, and society in general, who feel superior to these ageing men who no longer are considered attractive, except for their money. "ewwwwww" , right? I can't believe what I hear when I overhear the conversations of women. They care about how attractive a man is more than you might think. Men who don't meet up to their standards are labelled creeps. This is especially true amongst young women.

And that's the thing, people ATTACH negative traits to bald men, such as "creepiness" and decay in general, such as towards job competence. Youth is CURRENCY unto-itself. You can be given job opportunities just because you look young, or are young. You can get sympathy and mental boosts from feeling and looking young.

Do you think a hip, young manager running a youthful team in an office is going to want to hire some bald dude who looks 45? Not if possible. At 22 you might still look young bald, at 35 you look like granddad. Retirement time, buddy. That was a joke I saw told this late-40s guy walking out of an office building where I work, who was bald...but using a crutch to walk, he injured himself I guess. The point remains: people are ruthless, if you display weakness the wolves pounce, your human value is downgraded. They won't tell you this to your face of course. It'll be silent rejection after silent rejection, smiles in person, whispers disparaging you when you are not present.

If you are bald young the pain is only just beginning, sorry I'm only telling the truth here. There're plenty of "older" men here who NEVER recover from the scars of this disease. I'm sick of hearing about how people forget about balding with age. It's not true. The pain of losing your hair, of missing out on your potential lasts a lifetime. You can't make up for lost years, not when those years are your prime. No fast cars, or flashy jobs will do that. Listen to uncomfortableman, he was a very good looking young man (no homo), if it wasn't for balding who knows what his life would have been like? Instead he suffers being part of an aesthetic underclass, in a shallow society where image is everything.From a prince to a pauper. I am sure he had a few good years as the handsome, tall jock. Hopefully that gives him peace on reflection.

It's depressing there is little I can do to stop this disease, knowing this disease depreciates my value to society and women, just like being fat does, except I didn't choose to lose my hair, unlike an overweight person who chooses to overeat. It doesn't matter you are in the SAME box as that fat man: damaged goods. I guess it's the lack of understanding about hair loss and its causes. I used to think bald men were unhealthy in most (or some) cases, I had little sympathy for them , they were not visible, due to their low numbers in my age demographic. Balding was an old man's disease. I saw it from this prism. Balding = decay.

The only consolation I have is that I seem to be becoming more mellow about the whole hair loss situation and how this will impact on my future. Time creates alternative pathways in your mind, compromise is the only solution, it seems. Time makes compromise more palatable, otherwise one would go crazy thinking about the "what ifs". What I would have become if only hair loss didn't impact on my life. It hurts most for people who have nothing else wrong with them apart from hair loss. Losing privileges , like being automatically confident thanks to your looks. The feeling of doubt is a new sensation but one you will have to deal with on a constant basis.. I remember doing a talk for a work meeting where I could think of nothing but how my hair was looking. A bad hair day. Those happen allot.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
^ Thank you for the kind words kingdom. I've been pretty depressed lately and it felt good to read your post. It's true, there are many young people where I work and despite my best efforts to fit in, I can still feel the divide between us. I know they talk **** about me behind my back. I can also see how women under a certain age and beauty actively ignore me, almost to send a clear message (to me) that they want nothing to do with me at all. I get that message multiple times on a daily basis but those are the realities of working close with the public, your out there... exposed.

I did have a few good years thanks for asking... and like you say I will remember them fondly. Next year I will be forty and I feel like the point is moot because I've been forty since I was 23. It just feel so unfair that something that should be trivial has such a devastating impact on my life.... feeling so discouraged at the rate of progress of this elusive cure knowing full well it wont reach me in time. It hurts because my greatest hope is to one day become whole again and to look upon my own face as it was meant to be seen. It makes me cry just thinking about it.

And to digidako, I know I must sound ludacris to you but I say things here without fear of ramification. I 'vent' as an outlet from all the negative interactions and energy that I hold onto from day to day and I admit it can get extreme. But that is how I feel and this is where I am meant to express my suffering. I know there are worse scenarios but I can be both grateful and discouraged at the same time because such is life.... or at least you will learn as much when you have the perspective of a few more decades under your belt. Your youth grants you the perspective of invulnerability to the toils and troubles of aging and while idealistic it may also be a tad naive. The predicament with being bald is a unique one that pins you between a sexist double standard and youth/beauty/health obsessed society that is highly looksist. Not fatal enough to be taken seriously but not so off limits to make fun of... not a very empowering combination for the inflicted, huh? Truth is it sucks being bald.... everyone knows it but so many refuse to admit it, to the point where many posters preface their arguments with "I'm not saying it's easy being bald, BUT why can't you just get over it" or something to that effect. Why they put up such a fight is beyonce me. Maybe it's because if they admitted that it sucks being bald they would be incriminating themselves and society as a whole as being shallow, or maybe they just want to believe that it won't be so bad for them when and if that day comes. In any case, logically you wouldn't be here if you weren't concerned for your own hair so don't treat other people like they are crazy for being concerned or upset by their own situation OK?

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
+1 for "Luscious lettuce":woot:

cabbagehead.jpg

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
242.gif

Try rapidly becoming a NW3 in highschool then see if you feel the same about your 30s being the worst time. The sooner it happens the worse it is, SURELY... The earlier it happens the more of an abnormality you are compared to your peers and the longer you have to deal with balding for. Hair loss in your 30s? meh.

PhillyCarter

Banned
Reaction score
Balding at ANY age sucks. I get that most women think that men in their 30's have it all together so it sucks if you start losing hair at that point but there are kids posting on here that are thinning at 17. Wish you the best.