Hair Loss From Steroids, Now Stopped- Thoughts

Crystalclear12

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been viewing this website for many year and recently made an account. A little background- im a Norwood 2 or 2.5. I have a naturally high hairline, but it has receded about 3/4 of an inch in the corners and then tapers to 0 receding in the front. Making a widows peak. I did a lot of steroids in college and this happened rather quickly. It hasn't reallly moved in the past 6 years as I've been on finasteride 1 mg and minoxidil. Has anyone else experienced this? I know I kick started male pattern baldness early from the steroids but is it weird that it hasn't moved in 6 years? And if it has it's extremely minimum. My dad has the same pattern I do he's 60 still Norwood 2.5 but recently started crown thinning around the crown. I'm 27 years old. Just wanted to get some thoughts from this community on similar experiences.

Woodymartz95

My Regimen
Reaction score
So when you do steroids you kick start it ? I had the idea now I'm off the steroids the hair loss will stop?

Woodymartz95

My Regimen
Reaction score
Once male pattern baldness starts it doesn't stop until you are bald as bald can get.
Are you sure ? I took steroids for like half a cycle noticed hair loss and stopped my hair line has grown back a bit and I've only been off for 4 weeks , you sure you know exactly what your saying ?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you sure ? I took steroids for like half a cycle noticed hair loss and stopped my hair line has grown back a bit and I've only been off for 4 weeks , you sure you know exactly what your saying ?
That would leave you in the minority so I would count yourself very lucky. My first cousin who had a full head of hair in his thirties took steroids to try and win back his ex wife and his crown began to thin, then developed a small bald spot that has not grown back yet, so he pretty much fucked himself. I would guesstimate 8/10 times you experience steroid induced male pattern baldness it will continue, in some cases it may stop and in even rarer cases grow back. You would be the first I've heard of to have your hairline grow back, stay off the roids and you should be set for life.

Woodymartz95

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah man I could upload a picture for people' to see them selves , I noticed massive shedding whilst on them, was only on anavar but I'm suspiscois I got sold something different ,hair line went crazy shed, mostly at temples, scared the crap out of me as like you said most people said once you lose hair from steroids you don't get it back, but it's been 5/6 weeks now and hair line is almost back to normal, I'm still shedding which is annoying as in the shower and when I run my hands through my hair but very minimal
Compared to what it was

Haircraft

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why couldn't it stop? He mentions that he's been taking steroids. Once you lay off anabolic steroids, your natural testosterone should be less than it was prior to taking anabolic steroids. That's why former bodybuilders are overrepresented in undergoing testosterone replacement therapy.
Once male pattern baldness starts it doesn't stop until you are bald as bald can get.
What exactly do you mean? Isn't it general consensus that as you age, for whatever reason, you're more likely to develop pattern baldness? Can't someone that had his frontal hair recede in his 20s stay at that level but accelerate the process in his 60s?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why couldn't it stop? He mentions that he's been taking steroids. Once you lay off anabolic steroids, your natural testosterone should be less than it was prior to taking anabolic steroids. That's why former bodybuilders are overrepresented in undergoing testosterone replacement therapy.

What exactly do you mean? Isn't it general consensus that as you age, for whatever reason, you're more likely to develop pattern baldness? Can't someone that had his frontal hair recede in his 20s stay at that level but accelerate the process in his 60s?
Here is a simple way of understanding male pattern baldness. Your follicles all have a health bar, T and DHT do damage to it, and once the follicles health bar reaches zero it dies. Taking steroids increases the damage they do, even when you stop taking them that health bar will still be taking damage from your natural hormone levels, it won't magically reset. Sometimes your body can heal your follicles depending on the amount of androgens you have attacking, which is why some people regrow on finasteride, and etc. That definitely isn't the norm and most people will continue to bald once they experience it on steroids. I've seen it happen before, what I've never seen happen is people regrow from steroid induced male pattern baldness.

Haircraft

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is a simple way of understanding male pattern baldness. Your follicles all have a health bar, T and DHT do damage to it, and once the follicles health bar reaches zero it dies. Taking steroids increases the damage they do, even when you stop taking them that health bar will still be taking damage from your natural hormone levels, it won't magically reset. Sometimes your body can heal your follicles depending on the amount of androgens you have attacking, which is why some people regrow on finasteride, and etc. That definitely isn't the norm and most people will continue to bald once they experience it on steroids. I've seen it happen before, what I've never seen happen is people regrow from steroid induced male pattern baldness.
I mostly agree. But if we consider the fact that castration halts hair loss, then withdrawing the use of anabolic steroids should atleast slow down the process because it leads to a decrease of testosterone levels, even to lower levels than before taking steroids. Whether lowering testosterone levels shortly after developing hair loss can regrow hair, I don't know. Has there been any study on that, or has it just not been documented here on the forums?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I mostly agree. But if we consider the fact that castration halts hair loss, then withdrawing the use of anabolic steroids should atleast slow down the process because it leads to a decrease of testosterone levels, even to lower levels than before taking steroids. Whether lowering testosterone levels shortly after developing hair loss can regrow hair, I don't know. Has there been any study on that, or has it just not been documented here on the forums?
Oh yeah definitely, hair loss will be slower once you stopped steroids, but in most cases the damage is already done. If hair loss is recent and you lower The and DHT there is a good chance you can recover some, I think the only good thing for regrowing hair is estrogen. I'm gonna be experimenting with a mild HRT regimen soon and will post my progress.

Haircraft

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh yeah definitely, hair loss will be slower once you stopped steroids, but in most cases the damage is already done. If hair loss is recent and you lower The and DHT there is a good chance you can recover some, I think the only good thing for regrowing hair is estrogen. I'm gonna be experimenting with a mild HRT regimen soon and will post my progress.
Alright, so if that's true then Woodymartz95 could very well have experienced some hair regrowth. He mentioned that he had only been on steroids for around half a cycle. One cycle is around 2 to 4 months so that makes 1 to 2 months of steroid use.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright, so if that's true then Woodymartz95 could very well have experienced some hair regrowth. He mentioned that he had only been on steroids for around half a cycle. One cycle is around 2 to 4 months so that makes 1 to 2 months of steroid use.
Correct. He would be considered lucky though.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
For the damaga done not only consider the lenghty but also which drugs he used. With stanozolol , dianabol ecc ( pure dht) the damage is more serious than test, boldenone deca...

With steroids its the opposite to finasteride, one speed up the hair loss and the other slow the process

Haircraft

My Regimen
Reaction score
For the damaga done not only consider the lenghty but also which drugs he used. With stanozolol , dianabol ecc ( pure dht) the damage is more serious than test, boldenone deca...

With steroids its the opposite to finasteride, one speed up the hair loss and the other slow the process
Are you referring to internal damage or the amount of developed hair loss? As I understand it, the "damage" is measured by how much hair loss one has developed and for how long one has had this hair loss.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was referring to hair loss. The first one i said are dht derivate so more high dht levels = more speed up of baldness.

Example: if you are nw2 after one steroid cycle you will end up Norwood 4 in just 3 months.
If the same person dont take steroids maybe he will go from nW2 to n4 in 5 years

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
just like hair loss itself your hairs response to roids is f*****g random. Look at arnie, thick as f*** lovely hair well into his steroid taking career only to lose it later in life. He clearly has the male pattern baldness gene yet not even his high dosages really did anything although slight recession by the nineties. I assume they DHT derivative roids then too.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
just like hair loss itself your hairs response to roids is f*****g random. Look at arnie, thick as f*** lovely hair well into his steroid taking career only to lose it later in life. He clearly has the male pattern baldness gene yet not even his high dosages really did anything although slight recession by the nineties. I assume they DHT derivative roids then too.

This is what i cant understand..the same dorian yates. They use high dosages for long time and didnt lose any hair but when they get older they become bald...

Woodymartz95

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have deffo experienced regrowth in my hair I wish I could show you a picture of me being on steroids and a picture after I stopped taking them for
You to decide and comment on yourselfs, I still shed like I said which is annoying burs it's a lot slower, I was also
Thinking I may of triggered telogen eliffium I'm not sure ,

Woodymartz95

My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay my hair is still shedding , I can see hairs regrow but I'm not sure if that's minituarisation , I'm gonna get on the finastride i think