Hair loss - curse or gift? ( Heavy concept alert )

sjb36

Reaction score
Some people will immediately read this and think what the **** are you sh****** me. I recently read an academic paper on a study that was in the British Journal of Psycology the title of which was " Does fortune favour the bald? Psycological correlates of hair loss in males" (Wells, Willmoth & Russell 1995) whereby they studied the effects of hair loss in issues of esteem, interpersonal relationships, self image, social perception, attractiveness to oppositie sex etc etc and noted a number of findings. They comment on the signififcant impact the condition has on the person experiencing it ( no surprise there ) and in their conclusions stated:

" Although the relationship between hair loss and psycological distress was predicted, the strength of this relationship is surprising. In subsequent investigations it may be worth considering wheter there is something special about hair loss or whther it is simply one example among many of a physical attribute which affects the possesor to a greater extent than would normally be expected "

Now this is an interesting idea I think. I have had more than my share of reasons in life to adopt a philosophical view point and frankly I am sick of doing so as they rarely offer a definitive answer of proof which we scientifically minded westerners are generally keen on.
Anyone that knows a bit about the Dalai Lama ro Buddhism will know something about their views on suffering. Now my take on this is that arguably some suffering is legitimate and will give the recepient an authority in matters of wisdom. Illegitimate suffering is victimization and is to be avoided.

Could it be that hair loss is a collective disease that has a reason for the human race in that it makes us less prone to the excess of vanity, particularly for men in that we will focus less on the outside and concentrate on other things that will in reality bring us greater joy.

When it first happens this idea of it bringing more happiness seems laughable in that you feel like a dog. And maybe this is the way it is. But there is also the chance that maybe it is not the case and that it is actually a blessing in disguise.

I'm still going to resist this possibility all the way with treatments although I doubt that I will go as far as a hair transplant or wig but I am not going to accept it as a destiny. If it happens then so be it then I have to consider this alternative view that it might be a good thing. If it isn't its another one in the closet of bags of shite to have been delivered to my door.

I'd be very interested to read peoples views on this. What is the concensus of opinion?

jfhawk06

Established Member
Reaction score
it's frickin hair loss. it sucks...i don't see any universally grand significance.

VWdude

Reaction score
Gift??? ummm okay, Then I like having chronic diarhea.

Mitter

Reaction score
hi sjb36

has you try 'Nizoral' shampoo, is prassable it can help man grow all hair onto bald.

Branco

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
Its a gift???? trust me, I am feeling like shooting my head and the *** at the same time :crazy:

follijinxed

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it will only be a gift if we dont have to live with it much longer. Once we all get our hair back and realize that there is more to life than just hair, we can appreciate and enjoy life a lot more.

I know I will, until then... HM.

sjb36

Reaction score
seems like high thinking may be lost on a few I reckon. Not even prepared to entertain the possibility? Mmmm

amrod

Established Member
Reaction score
i think in a way its made me stronger

although im sure i would have been alot more confident if this had never happeed to me but it also taught me to not be so superficial and look beyond ones physical short commings

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In some ways balding causes the thinking man to improve as a person but it can cause the vunerable to totally capitulate, atleast in the short term. Others ofcourse, just "get on with it", brush it off and accept it as part of life and getting old. You win some, you lose some as it were. Each to their own...

G

I think that any man who goes through this young, must grow up a little quicker than most

VOVVIE

Established Member
Reaction score
ive thought many many times one why some people go bald and others dont. Obviously there is no clear answer, but i believe that it does happen for a reason, as i do with all things, war, death, love, life, worship etc. I have only really looked at such things in a superficial light, meaning not to delve to deep into them to find the answers but still being aware that things happen for unnexplained reasons. Perhaps those who are afflicted with the gene are given more potential to do something with their lives but dont know it because they are too concerned with the hair they do/dont have. Dont buddhist monks shave their heads bald? Arent they more keen with their own nature than most? well.. probably not cuz they're bald..

viperfish

Reaction score
follijinxed said:
I think it will only be a gift if we dont have to live with it much longer. Once we all get our hair back and realize that there is more to life than just hair, we can appreciate and enjoy life a lot more.

I know I will, until then... HM.

No you won't! You will simply start worrying about something else. Like wrinkles or your weight! It never stops and it is a constant struggle! Being vain sucks and it will never end for you. If hairloss is cured 20 years from now I will encounter most of you on an anti-wrinkle site or something along those lines.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
viperfish, that's a stupid generalization, and I don't even feel like responding to it.

As to the theory that balding is meant for our benefit: well it might possibly have been a useful gene at some point in the history of the human race, but whatever that purpose was, it's been played out and presently serves us in no discernable way.

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
viperfish said:
If hairloss is cured 20 years from now I will encounter most of you on an anti-wrinkle site or something along those lines.

Funny (or sad) but true : )

Petchsky

Reaction score
In some ways it has been a gift for me. It was not intil 18 months in to my regimen that i realised that there are posititves to come out of hairloss. I'm no longer as scared of going bald like i used to be. I feel i have grown the strength and perspective to be able to deal with it. That does not mean i want to, just that i feel different now.

Hairloss can be character building. You can hit rock bottom and it's then when you really see yourself.

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You cannot measure your strenght unless you pass some tests. hair loss can be one.

Not as thought as anothers, IMO, try losing a loving one, or getting all your hard worked dreams wasted, or something like that.

Hair loss is worrysome for those like us that don´t have much to worry about.

I don´t want to be judging anyone, becouse I´m the first one, but as I´ve seen the majority of us are middle-upper-class easy-living white guys in their late teens or 20s, who hve lots of time to think about of themselves.

follijinxed

Established Member
Reaction score
viperfish said:
No you won't! You will simply start worrying about something else. Like wrinkles or your weight! It never stops and it is a constant struggle! Being vain sucks and it will never end for you. If hairloss is cured 20 years from now I will encounter most of you on an anti-wrinkle site or something along those lines.

True to some extent... I had learned to live with my receeding temples, which started to get bad when I was 19, I didn't think it looked all that bad. I'm 24 and a few weeks ago I discovered my crown is thinning. I never even see it unless I have a separate mirror but the fact that I felt so old for my age bothered me more than anything.

It probably will be a constant struggle, I will worry about wrinkles when I'm older, maybe even gray hair and a slowing metabolism, but it will be a lot easier to deal with wrinkles in my 40s when everyone else has them, instead of having a group of friends with Brad Pitt's hairline.

I dont find anything wrong with a little bit of vanity, you should definitely care about how you look to some extent. Even hippies are vain, its like the dirtier you are the better you are. There are other things I already dont like about my body, but I'm not overly obsesses with them. I wish I had bigger muscles on my arm, but I happen to have big pecs and a 6 pack to compensate. I don't look as good as some of the guys in the gym or on tv, but I'm happy with what I have in this regard.